The Panorama Interview: November 20, 1995

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NONE of the RF like the press. They put up with them....but they dont trust them an inch,

Eloquently stated by the late Duke of Edinburgh. "You have mosquitoes. We have the press." Classic Philip. :D

Eloquently stated by the late Duke of Edinburgh. "You have mosquitoes. We have the press." Classic Philip. :D

not exactly one of his best jokes. But the RF dont like the press, dont trust them and just try to co exist with them. But Diana thought she could handle them, by flirting with editors and being charming.. and ended up sadly with this awful man who completely exploited her and fooled her...

It really stood out to me how much Diana was involved with the tabloid press when it became known that Richard Kay of the Daily Mail was one of the last people to talk to Diana before she died.

"Their final conversation was on the evening of August 30 1997, when Diana called him on his mobile phone from Paris, where she was staying with Dodi Fayed after they returned from a Mediterranean cruise."

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front...k-of-hospices-funded-by-al-fayed-6650446.html

It really stood out to me how much Diana was involved with the tabloid press when it became known that Richard Kay of the Daily Mail was one of the last people to talk to Diana before she died.

"Their final conversation was on the evening of August 30 1997, when Diana called him on his mobile phone from Paris, where she was staying with Dodi Fayed after they returned from a Mediterranean cruise."

https://www.standard.co.uk/hp/front...k-of-hospices-funded-by-al-fayed-6650446.html

Sadly towards the end she'd closed off relationships with people who truly had her best interest at heart and chose the company of those who used her.

Sadly towards the end she'd closed off relationships with people who truly had her best interest at heart and chose the company of those who used her.

It sounds like she was a lost soul who juat wanted to be loved...?

It sounds like she was a lost soul who juat wanted to be loved...?

Yes I do believe that she was a lost soul. This is why I believe it's extraordinarily painful to consider that the BBC's actions led to her shutting herself off from people who were supposedly "spying" on her.

As reprehensible Bashir's tactics were, I don't believe that he was truly aware of Diana's growing distrust of the people around her. Yes, I do believe he took advantage of Diana, who was very vulnerable at that time but I can't believe that he knew the extent of the distrust and possible paranoia towards people around her.

Yes I do believe that she was a lost soul. This is why I believe it's extraordinarily painful to consider that the BBC's actions led to her shutting herself off from people who were supposedly "spying" on her.

How wounded she was......I wish she'd had a chance to find happiness.

As reprehensible Bashir's tactics were, I don't believe that he was truly aware of Diana's growing distrust of the people around her. Yes, I do believe he took advantage of Diana, who was very vulnerable at that time but I can't believe that he knew the extent of the distrust and possible paranoia towards people around her.

Of course he was aware of it, that's why he worked on her in that way. He knew she was vulnerable and paranoid, and he knew what buttons to press to make her more so.

Other journalists had tried to get interviews with her, Bashir was the one who was unscrupulous enough to use her vulnerabitiles against her and to lie blatantly....And Im sure he got more dramatic footage out of her than a conventional reporter would because he had wound her up....

Last edited:
I don't think her so called paranoia was completely unfounded. The tapes of phone calls both she and Charles made prove that and no, I don't believe some random man picked these up with an ariel and a bin lid in his hand.
no, Diana's conversation was picked up by a bank manager who had a scanner -. They weren't illegal and were a new "toy" at the time..

no, Diana's conversation was picked up by a bank manager who had a scanner -. They weren't illegal and were a new "toy" at the time..

This happened quite frequently to a lot of people when cell phones first came out. It wasn't something that was done intentionally either. The man with the scanner just happened to be on the same frequency as Diana's conversation.

This happened quite frequently to a lot of people when cell phones first came out. It wasn't something that was done intentionally either. The man with the scanner just happened to be on the same frequency as Diana's conversation.
Well he was listening to pick up conversations, silly and nosy behaviour but Im not sure if it is actually illegal.. He just happened to luck out and get that particiular conversation which was dynamite.. but he apparnetly sold it for a very small sum to a paper. not a nice man but not very bright either...

Does anyone else here subscribe to Private Eye, the British magazine dedicated to pointing out hypocrisy among other things? It's little bit of sunshine in my mailbox every now and again. They are not online.

The latest issue supposes that Tony Hall, the then head of the BBC who put the Bashir inquiry to bed, was then rewarded with positions and quangos in institutions where the PoW reigned supreme.

Hall was on the cusp of being set up for The Order of Merit, according to PE. That's in the wind now, along with his National Gallery position.

Does anyone else here subscribe to Private Eye, the British magazine dedicated to pointing out hypocrisy among other things? It's little bit of sunshine in my mailbox every now and again. They are not online.

The latest issue supposes that Tony Hall, the then head of the BBC who put the Bashir inquiry to bed, was then rewarded with positions and quangos in institutions where the PoW reigned supreme.

Hall was on the cusp of being set up for The Order of Merit, according to PE. That's in the wind now, along with his National Gallery position.

It is a great publication. The Editor of The Spectator is Ian Hislop, one of the key presenters of the long running BBC show, Have I Got News for You.

I'm placing this news here as it is related to the Panorama Interview Investigation. Moderators-Please move if there is a better thread for it.

IMHO Tiggy was one of the individuals that Prince William referred to in his statement about Lord Dyson's report who was most definitely hurt by the BBC's deceitful actions to obtain an interview with the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

The BBC has offered six-figure damages to the former nanny of Prince William and Prince Harry over false claims made by Martin Bashir to obtain his interview with Princess Diana, according to reports.
Tiggy Legge-Bourke, now known as Tiggy Pettifer, was offered the payout after the former BBC journalist, 58, told Princess Diana that her husband was 'in love' with their children's nanny in order to secure his 1995 Panorama interview.
Mr Bashir is also said to have suggested that Prince Charles and Ms Pettifer, 56, had flown off on a secret two-week holiday together.
The journalist went on to claim that the royal nanny had gone on to have an abortion and showed the Princess of Wales a fake receipt for the procedure, the Daily Telegraph reports.
The BBC has now offered the former nanny 'significant' damages for the distressing smears.
It is reported that a speedy settlement is likely to be agreed by the end of this month with the broadcaster thought to have offered more than £100,000.
Mrs Pettifer, 56, who was the nanny to the two princes between 1993 and 1999, is now in charge of a bed and breakfast business in Wales.
A source told the Daily Telegraph: 'Tiggy Legge-Bourke was right at the centre of Bashir's manipulation and it is right that the damage caused to her is recognised by the BBC.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ys-six-figure-damages-Tiggy-Legge-Bourke.html

Last edited:
Is there a reason why it is not Martin Bashir who will pay damages to Ms. Legge-Bourke, given that he bears the greatest share of the responsibility?

Company insurance?

okay - so now the only person who was lied about who has not been awarded damages is the Earl of Wessex? Do we even know if he has complained?

Well here we are celebrating how false stories, supposed gossip and the use of other information to present a totally false narrative have finally been exposed and court action taken and won. This cannot help with the personal pain and utterly ruined reputations suffered by the victims for over twenty-five years.

Have we learned nothing? It would seem not with yet another mad hare started with yet another unsubstantiated, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, allegation about Tony Hall and The Prince of Wales presumably working against the late Diana. Ugh!

Well here we are celebrating how false stories, supposed gossip and the use of other information to present a totally false narrative have finally been exposed and court action taken and won. This cannot help with the personal pain and utterly ruined reputations suffered by the victims for over twenty-five years.

Have we learned nothing? It would seem not with yet another mad hare started with yet another unsubstantiated, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, allegation about Tony Hall and The Prince of Wales presumably working against the late Diana. Ugh!

Private Eye is a joke magazine...

The BBC has agreed to pay a settlement to former nanny Tiggy Legge-Bourke.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62250479

The BBC is paying damages to the ex-nanny to Princes William and Harry over false claims made about her to obtain a 1995 Princess Diana interview.

Alexandra Pettifer, known as Tiggy, was given an apology at the High Court over unfounded allegations she had an affair with Prince Charles and an abortion.

Her solicitor said the false claims had caused "serious personal consequences".

Is there a reason why it is not Martin Bashir who will pay damages to Ms. Legge-Bourke, given that he bears the greatest share of the responsibility?

I think as the broadcaster they are held ultimately responsible for the actions of their employees. Red Flags should have been flying within the BBC as to how he achieved the interview, Diana had refused the top journalists of the day, and he was not anywhere near any of their leagues. He was a small fry in the world of tv journalism. All they could see was the kudos of having the interview.

IMO although peoples reputations were damaged, it also damaged Diana. It was a huge turning point in her situation. It started the domino effect of the remainder of her life.

I would assume that it's covered by their public liability insurance. That's generally how it works - it's the employer's insurance who pays. If, say, a worker for a construction company damages your property, it'll be the company's insurance who pays out, not the individual worker, even though they were the one who made the mistake. I don't know how public liability insurance works for media organisations, but I'd assume that they're covered for claims paid out to people who sue, given how often it happens.

It was truly vile of Martin Bashir to make up lies about Tiggy or any other third party in order to get the interview.

Tiggy deserves the compensation after all that and the rumor was repeated at a party to her face and the Queen heard it.

It was truly vile of Martin Bashir to make up lies about Tiggy or any other third party in order to get the interview.

Utterly disgraceful and hope he never works again!

Apart from admitting the Hewitt affair there was nothing in Panorama that she hadn't told Andrew Morton or Peter Settelen so I don't understand what the big deal is. There is an insinuation that she wouldn't have said the things she did without Bashir persuading her but she already had so I don't think she needed much persuading by him. The Settelen tapes are still on YouTube and they are even more detailed than Morton's book and Panorama put together.

Last edited:
Apart from admitting the Hewitt affair there was nothing in Panorama that she hadn't told Andrew Morton or Peter Settelen so I don't understand what the big deal is.
you cant see what is wrong with a journalist lying to a fragile woman to get her interest....

you cant see what is wrong with a journalist lying to a fragile woman to get her interest....

I'm amazed he had to persuade her as she had been very open about most of it before.

Back
Top Bottom