The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Please note that several posts have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...iana-2444.html thread as they discuss the marriage specifically, rather than in the context of the Panorama interview.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

I'm surprised to think of Philip trying to "appease" her, I think he meant well to her, but he grew increasingly annoyed by her behaviour...

Yes, it was very bad of Diana. I sympathised with her at the time, because I felt sorry for her and was more inclined to blame Charles for the failure of the marriage. But even at the time, even sympathising, I was beginning to see that things had gotten out of hand and she was the one who started it and seemed to be keeping it going.
A bit late to the party..but if I understand the term 'appease', you are referencing a series of letters between them designed to help salvage the marriage in some way, which forged a degree of friendship between Diana and Philip. Though formerly on frosty terms, Diana was said to enjoy his letters a great deal.

Have not read of Philip's consternation or reaction to the interview..

Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
A bit late to the party..but if I understand the term 'appease', you are referencing a series of letters between them designed to help salvage the marriage in some way, which forged a degree of friendship between Diana and Philip. Though formerly on frosty terms, Diana was said to enjoy his letters a great deal.

Have not read of Philip's consternation or reaction to the interview..
I wouldn't say it created a degree of friendship. I think that Philip writing to her was to try and shake her into some kind of public salvaging of the marriage.. As I recall he said that he would not have thought that Charles would leave her for Camilla but he also asked her to consider that her own behaviour might have driven C away. I don't think it was all that much of a friendship. I think he felt sorry for her and didn't approve of C's affair, but he could see that Diana's own behaviour was difficult.. and while he did have some degree of sympathy, he was mostly concnered to try and sort things out...

Philip never made any comment about the Interview nor has the queen but Im sure they were boht furious and appalled..
Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Philip never made any comment about the Interview nor has the queen but Im sure they were boht furious and appalled..
I follow the logic pretty well, as many express this view. A large portion of people found empathy for the RF, suddenly put in an awkward position. That is pretty much the de facto way of seeing it. Unlike others, I don't believe that was her real motivation to be interviewed, as much as there was a distaste having the public in the dark on a number of fronts..in the habit of holding to an idealized image, while knowing little else. The interview is very benign at the outset; she simply takes a number of basic questions of their first years together, explaining calmly that the marriage was "a fairy story that everyone wanted to work.."

In terms of showing any upset on her part there was none. Softspoken, composed throughout it, she simply lets the viewer decide. That was a class move on her part, and it's mostly overlooked.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Why did she need to tell the public about her marriage? I know that Charles foolishly did something similar in his interview, but I think he did it as a once off, becuae he was understandably angry that Diana was winning the PR war, and het thought that if he went on TV and spoke hs mind, the public would listen to HIM nad believe his side of the story. But Diana had "started it" with Morton and was better at putting herself across, publicly.. than Charles was and he would have been better not to reply to her. However, Diana then went further and spoke not only about her marriage, about her affair, but also about the succession.. whch was what finally drove the queen to say they had to get a divorce.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Why did she need to tell the public about her marriage?
I think that's a great question..

Had the rest of England, Europe, and every other continent been less consumed by the relationship, it becomes doubtful she would ever have done so. But to spend fifteen years of your life while several-hundred random sources take precedent in defining you, and sometimes in a not very ingenious manner..cannot be a healthy situation for almost anyone.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Majesty

I agree with you, Elan. There had been a thousand stories written about the Wales marriage, admittedly some planted by both sides. IMO, Diana wanted to get the truth out there. Yes it was her truth, but then we all carry our particular truths within us. After the marital separation Diana could see the range of powerful resources the Palace and the POW had at their disposal.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
I think that's a great question..

Had the rest of England, Europe, and every other continent been less consumed by the relationship, it becomes doubtful she would ever have done so. But to spend fifteen years of your life while several-hundred random sources take precedent in defining you, and sometimes in a not very ingenious manner..cannot be a healthy situation for almost anyone.
I have to believe that with all the unhappiness in her married, private life, the adulation and the interest in her and the crowds that would come out to see her had to be a balancing effect on her self esteem.

Many sources I've read do mention that Diana had low self esteem issues and it was a factor in her bulimia. She took to heart a simple statement said by Charles when they were courting. He put his arms around her waist and said "getting a little chubby are we?" in a teasing manner. She took it seriously. The public hanging on her every word and deed was a balancing factor for Diana and she *was* good with meeting and greeting the public and with the causes she was involved with.

I don't think we'll ever really know the real motives behind her Panorama interview but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. If this had happened way back when and she admitted to an affair with Hewitt, she very well could have lost her head for infidelity, treason and disloyalty to the Crown ala Anne Boleyn.
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 03-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why did either of them need to tell the world about their marriage? Both of them were wrong to air all their laundry.

Seeing an interview with him talking about committing adultery and then her talking about committing adultery ...served no purpose except to add more gossip to the mill ..and 20 years later it's till being talked about.

They should of thought about their sons.

LaRae
Old 03-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Administrator

I tend to agree with Pranter on this and it has been a view of mine since it all happened.

Such an interview would never happen today, I'm sure of it - certainly nit my a member of the royal family. In that context, it goes to show how much has changed since then and the old - and safe - adage, "never explain, never complain" is the best course of action under any circumstances.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I agree with you, Elan. There had been a thousand stories written about the Wales marriage, admittedly some planted by both sides. IMO, Diana wanted to get the truth out there. Yes it was her truth, but then we all carry our particular truths within us. After the marital separation Diana could see the range of powerful resources the Palace and the POW had at their disposal.
She certainly did when the queen virtually ordered her to get a divorce...

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, martin bashir, panorama, princess diana