The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}
But who can forget Raine, Diana's stepmother, grinning from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat and wearing white to Diana's funeral in 1997???

I can't.

The Countess Spencer wore a black and white outfit at the Princess of Wales' funeral. She even took the time to read and look at some of the flowers and messages before she entered the abbey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. We should thank ourselves lucky that Babsy Cartland left the pink at home for a morning.

Different cultures have different colors of mourning. For instance, when the Queen Mum travelled to France during her husband's reign, her mother had just passed away and it would not have been appropriate for Her Majesty to have been draped in black. The situation was solved when her designer realized the color white is appropriate in France to be worn by a person in mourning. She was a chic fashion sensation on that particular trip.

Most people in America see this particular week (white not worn after Labor Day) to transition their wardrobes from Summer to Autumn. I am not sure about such customs in UK, though.

Considering Diana was a vibrant creature herself, I guess "anything goes" if it is in good taste. The British, by nature and what I have encountered, are much more subdued and formal when it comes to such events as yesterday's memorial.

Unless a person was highly identified with a particular color (Diana seems to elicit the color of "Chanel Blue" from a particular suit she wore in 1997. It
is used in the end papers of several books about her and is prominent in the colors of the "Diana" dress roadshow Spencer souveniers..and worn yesterday by her great friend Rosa Monckton), it is up to the individual to express their own style and memories with respect to a church service.

Raine is,by far,her "own person" and fits not into one particular catagory. Her decorating tastes have been deemed "frightful" by those inspecting her endeavors. And yes, her hair has a "life" of it's own, rivalling any "high hair" Dallas Diva of a certain age.

The Countess Spencer wore a black and white outfit at the Princess of Wales' funeral. She even took the time to read and look at some of the flowers and messages before she entered the abbey.

Stopping only so she would have been photographed enough, imo.:lol:

Black is usual for funerals in the UK. I did attend an actor's funeral were around 20 drag queens were present in full get-up which was odd but I think any colours other than black suggest eccentricity or some kind of snub. Certainly a woman never wears red to a funeral for obvious reasons.

Who can deny that Diana would be very proud of her boys? They did a superb job -- made all the more poignant by their slight nervousness and sense of vulnerability.
Charles must be so very proud as well. They were inclusive in a wonderful way. Despite the friction that a family such as theirs is bound to experience (understatement?), their boys are the glue that holds them all together.

I missed the excitement the other day and didn't get to watch the coverage, but I'm dieing for a link to see Harry sitting with the Spencers. I havn't found one in the links posted so sorry if missed something...Thanks :flowers:

Black is usual for funerals in the UK. I did attend an actor's funeral were around 20 drag queens were present in full get-up which was odd but I think any colours other than black suggest eccentricity or some kind of snub. Certainly a woman never wears red to a funeral for obvious reasons.

Black in the States is for all kind of occassions. There are now black and white weddings, which are lovely. Black evening dresses are often very elegant. Black used to be reserved for funerals, but now one wears what one has. So if you do not have an appropriate outfit in black you can wear blue or gray or yellow for that matter of fact. It is also the time of the year and the weather that will dictate colors and fabrics. The color of your outfit doesn't show respect or caring, it is what is in your heart.

True but I think most people in the UK feel out of place in anything other than black.

Also, when the service was over and he was outside the chapel the Queen asked him something and he did not response very positively to her. I think there is some tension between them.

Really? Where can I see this?

Well, I think that Raine has about as much couth and manners as her step son, that is to say none at all.

They both want to be high society and think that they are better than others, and while he might be entitled to some of that feeling given his rank, she certainly is not. (never mind that I don't think anyone is better than anyone else)

She was a gold digger to begin with and she just keeps on digging. If she could find some class that would be a good thing, but that will happen when hell freezes over, pigs grow wings and cows excrete gold brick... which is to say never.

Indeed. We should thank ourselves lucky that Babsy Cartland left the pink at home for a morning.

She's still alive? Isn't she pushing 105 by now?

The memorial service was lovely and Prince Harry's speech was very touching.

She's still alive? Isn't she pushing 105 by now?

Oh no, I meant at the funeral. Barbara's well and truly dead. Died in 2000 and was buried in a cardboard coffin to the strains of "My Way".

Well, I think that Raine has about as much couth and manners as her step son, that is to say none at all. They both want to be high society and think that they are better than others, and while he might be entitled to some of that feeling given his rank, she certainly is not. (never mind that I don't think anyone is better than anyone else). She was a gold digger to begin with and she just keeps on digging. If she could find some class that would be a good thing, but that will happen when hell freezes over, pigs grow wings and cows excrete gold brick... which is to say never.

Oh I must disagree with you, Raine is really a smart lady and much loved by the circle she moves in. She was treated appallingly by the Spencers after the Earl died. What with her mother and her step-children to deal with, it's a wonder she never had a nervous break down. I can promise you, she certainly doesn't deserve the Acid Raine moniker - she's amazingly sweet, very friendly and is extremely classy. I have to say that despite my persuasion I quite fell in love with her when I met her - she's a huge presence but a real lady with plenty of class.

Wasn't the late Earl Spencer over the moon in love with Raine? She should also have credit for getting the late Earl through his strokes. It seems she was a strong force for his recovery. She also, I think, helped him immensely to clear away his debts, which his children and grandchildren might thank her for! :)

Yes he was, couldn't get enough of her. Certainly the Spencers were lacking in funds when Raine came along and she got rid of alot of paintings etc so that they could keep the estate. Diana rejected that of course, as did the other Spencer kids but you're right - without Raine, they wouldn't have Althorp and thats particularly sad when you consider that the new Earl practically threw Raine out.

Oh no, I meant at the funeral. Barbara's well and truly dead. Died in 2000 and was buried in a cardboard coffin to the strains of "My Way".

:lol:

Shame on you... that's just so w-r-o-n-g.

I believe what matters, in regards to Raine, is that she and Diana patched things up a bit prior to her death. That says quite a bit on both sides.

:lol:

Shame on you... that's just so w-r-o-n-g.

And true! :lol: She was buried by a tree that she said had been planted by Elizabeth I and Barbara insisted on a cardboard coffin because she believed in protecting the environment. Well, apart from the hairspray of course. I dont think Diana and Barbara could ever have patched things up. The Dame's response when asked about the divorce? "Well, no Englishman likes to eat alone my darling and if you leave your man to eat alone, he'll go and eat with someone else. And that's not all he'll do". And phrases in that mould. Didn't go down well.

For someone who used a whole can of Aqua Net per hairdo, she would be the last person on earth I thought who would actully care about the enviroment. Besides doesn't cardboard become all moldy whilst stuck the type of soil found in the UK?:ermm:

The memorial will re-air on BBC America this Sunday just in case US members didn't get a chance to see it live. Also, the WE network will be showing nothing but Diana documentaries and the movie Diana: Her True Story featuring Serena Scott Thomas until early Monday morning.

hey sorry I missed the memorial... I'm in usa is there a link where i can see it

Just now having had the chance to watch the whole service, I was really impressed with Harry's speech. It came from the bottom of his heart, and it showed again, how much he misses his Mum. When he was speaking and he kind of choked up, all I wanted to do was give him a big hug.

I was expecting something more from William, but I guess Clarence House did not think he should have given a speech like Harry. Beautiful service!

arent the SPENCER girls looking beautiful

Lady Eliza and Lady Amelia are just gorgeous - I don't think I've ever seen them before. What do we know about them? Where are they going to school, etc.?

Isn't there also a Lady Kitty? (purrr purr)

Yes, she's lovely, too, but E&A are really striking. I know Earl Spencer has another daughter named Lara, too.

True but I think most people in the UK feel out of place in anything other than black.

The British are so delightfully predictable. No wonder American are so deliciously rebellious and creative! Hat's off to the ladies, including Her Majesty, who wore a vibrant and regal purple, who were celebratory of Diana's life rather than be "safe" in somber black... Even the gentlemen were in navy blue suits.

I believe Dame Barbara came close to what is called a "green burial". Very popular in UK and getting more popular in USA.

I can't believe Raine doesn't carry her Harrod's wicker picnic hamp for a handbag. She used to hawk these on "QVC" which is a home shopping channel back in Aug. 1997...literally days before Diana's death...She was cashing in on Diana's tabloid frenzy to promote her affliation with Harrod's.

Raine was working as a Harrods Ambassador until very recently if not still. She gets a salary from it, as well as a chauffer and car and London apartment. Being a lowly staff member I managed to have a good chat with her chauffeur in the servant's hall and he said that she was always flying off to some country or other promoting her and I believe two or three forum users at one time said they'd seen her or met her at airports so I think she still must be working for the firm.

Pink is right, Dame B chose a green burial. The coffin is a cardbox box with a lid and handles and a bio-degradable lining so the whole thing breaks down over time and the body decomposes with it.

The black outfits issue was one of confusion I think. The British don't really do memorial services on a grand scale and it seems there's confusion over what one wears. Some like Princess Alexandra took it as funeral number 2 and wore full black whereas the Queen and Princess Michael got it on spot on and took it as a celebration of a life meaning their outfits could be reasonably gay. I think there's only one colour that's a no-no and that's red. Raine seemed to go for a black hat, blue dress and white shoes - very odd but she looked ok.

Well, I am certainly happy to retrain my opinion of Ms Raine, if indeed she does not deserve the moniker. However it seems that so few people who have met her have much to say about her that is good.

However that could be put down to her real friends not feeling the need to speak about her and her enemies wishing to trash her..... haven't we seen that elsewhere recently?

Raine was working as a Harrods Ambassador until very recently if not still. She gets a salary from it, as well as a chauffer and car and London apartment. Being a lowly staff member I managed to have a good chat with her chauffeur in the servant's hall and he said that she was always flying off to some country or other promoting her and I believe two or three forum users at one time said they'd seen her or met her at airports so I think she still must be working for the firm.

Pink is right, Dame B chose a green burial. The coffin is a cardbox box with a lid and handles and a bio-degradable lining so the whole thing breaks down over time and the body decomposes with it.

The black outfits issue was one of confusion I think. The British don't really do memorial services on a grand scale and it seems there's confusion over what one wears. Some like Princess Alexandra took it as funeral number 2 and wore full black whereas the Queen and Princess Michael got it on spot on and took it as a celebration of a life meaning their outfits could be reasonably gay. I think there's only one colour that's a no-no and that's red. Raine seemed to go for a black hat, blue dress and white shoes - very odd but she looked ok.

Purple is sometimes a mourning color.

Back
Top Bottom