The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Harry's speech was very moving. I couldn't help but cry. Diana would be so proud of her boys. I also loved that Harry was sitting on the Spencer's side to show solidarity with their mother's side of the family. :)

The brooch Queen Elizabeth is wearing, I believe, is one of the Russian brooches that Queen Mary acquired.

This brooch of the Queen's is the Duchess of Cambridge pearl brooch. It belonged to Princess Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge (she was painted wearing it in 1877) and went to Queen Mary's mother, Princess Mary Adeleaide Duchess of Teck on the death of the Duchess. It was inherited by Queen Mary in1897 on the death of her mother. The present Queen inherited it in 1953.

:flowers:

I was so impressed with Prince Harry, his speech to me really signified the difference between the two boys. I love PW but to me PH is so much more his mothers son. IMHO, William has seems to become more and more Windsor. I know he has too because of his future role and Harry has more freedom but I would of loved to heard something of his personal side of his mother, not just a bible verse. Any one could have read a bible verse but very few people can really speak of the love and devotion of Diana as a mother. I know Diana would be proud of both of her sons, but I am really proud of Harry, especally at the age he was when his mother died. He has really grown into a wonderful young man.

First off, thank you everyone for the links! I managed to catch most of the memorial this morning. I thought it was in good taste and very well done. I agree w everyone who said Diana would be very proud of her sons. All the royals looked fabulous. Too bad Prince Andrew had other previous engagements and couldn't make it (any excuse to look at him!) but those Windsor boys are breathtakingly handsome!!!!

The Spencers have very good genes. Earl Spencer's daughters are stunning.

Yes it was a wonderful service for remebering the life of the Princess of Wales. Does anybody know where you can watch the full service I only got to watch 15 minutes of it.

I was so ticked off by the Today Show. They preferred talking heads rather than live coverage. And they showed William doing the reading (which was okay) but cut Harry's remarks off just as he started to speak.

And they had Patrick Jephson saying he didn't know why he hadn't been invited to the service. :eek: (Can you say, DENSE?)

I hope somebody puts it on youtube and I'll just have to suffer through the computer problems.

I was so ticked off by the Today Show. They preferred talking heads rather than live coverage. And they showed William doing the reading (which was okay) but cut Harry's remarks off just as he started to speak.

That is the "american way" I think. The TV networks think that they know more than those watching. It is irritating especially when many times their 'experts' are wrong. MSNBC was showing full coverage of the service while NBC's Today show appeared to just be picking up the hi-lites. They had Christopher Andersen on saying how it was the Queen and her staff that put the guest list and service details together. Hmm..I thought it was Clarence House?

More than one network kept referring to Camilla as Mrs Parker-Bowles instead of The Duchess of Cornwall too. I guess it makes better drama to keep Camilla in the mistress category instead of now being Charles's Wife. Pretty sad considering this the networks "News" Divisions--where facts are supposed to be the norm.

MSNBC followed the service with their revisiting history program by reshowing the funeral service. Interestingly, they showed everything but Elton John's Candle in the Wind--at the end of the coverage the announcer said that the News Media are prohibited from showing that part of the service.

BBC America had the memorial service as well although it too was irritating. Not the actual showing the service as they were using the BBC so the break ins for commentary were minimal. It was the inopportune times they chose to go to commercial--right in midsentence more than once.

I thought it was a beautiful service. Sadly, I think the words about letting things be and let Diana rest in peace now..just won't happen. Too much money still to be made yet!!

Up before the sun to watch this moving tribute...

I'm a bit more liberal and creative in my views on memorials (as I tend to like the kind where balloons or doves are released with a video tribute and a little more relaxed) but leave it to the royals to have the most exquisite music which so correctly fits the mood. Very proper British royal service. Predictable, but that's ok and expected with the royals.

I cried when Prince Harry spoke so lovingly of his mother...Doesn't every mother yearn for such words?

MSNBC has already replayed the 1997 funeral today (sans Elton's tribute as that footage is owned by Elton's record label) and plans to pay tribute to Diana all weekend long.

The local Dallas morning show (Good Morning Texas) had Darren McGrady in for a special interview (he is usually cooking something). Today he was a "talk only guest" speaking how he remembered turning on the telly on August 31, 1997, and thinking the newscasters were playing a "red nose day" joke so he switched off the telly, he gathered up the food for the evening meal and headed to Kensington Palace to get a start on the evening meal for Diana and the Princes. He said the Princess was due to fly into Heathrow VIP later in the day. It wasn't until Mr. Julius, the princess' lawyer sent a fax of her last will and testament that he believed Diana had indeed passed away.

He talked about how Diana would often come into the kitchen to talk and the subject could have been what Her Majesty The Queen had told her (he put his fingers in his ears when he said this) or it could have been what had happened to characters on her soap operas.

He mentioned that Diana had to fully feel she could trust her employees. "Trust" was important to her.

He also mentioned Prince William often would come into the kitchen, grab some Haagen Daz Chocolate chocolate chip ice cream and sit in the window sill, trying to hide from his mother. Diana was very proud William had inherited the tall Spencer gene.

Mr. McGrady now works for a Dallas couple and is often in the local news with his projects and people who hire him for charity events. He is a very nice man..not full of airs at all...

When asked if Diana was a good eater, he said sometimes and at other times, no. She adored "comfort food".

Thanks, Pinkie40, for that insight. I can almost see her sitting in a kitchen chatting w the staff like a "regular" person.

I was so impressed by the service and the hearfelt way Prince Harry spoke from his heart.

There is no doubt both of these young men truly treasure their mother and the ENTIRE royal family know is by now in a clear manner. They may have been Windsorized...in a good way, but there is enough Diana in both of them.

Make no mistake....no one can try to erase or bad mouth their mother in front of them. They told the world that quite clearly....and their family as well...

How wonderful to see the entire blood royal family (except for Zara and Prince Andrew and Lord Harewood) there. All the cousins...Baron Downpatrick to the children of Lady Helen and the Earl and Countess of Ulster, etc.

I was stunned to see Peter kiss both of his cousins...in a good way stunned...

And they both talked and kissed everyone. I really enjoyed seeing cousins talk to each other whom you have never really seen publicly doing so.

The Royalist - Solitary Voice Heckles Charles At Diana Memorial
(yea i know) is reporting a lone heckler when prince charles arrived. there was good applause for the queen and princes but total silence when the PoW arrived. i missed this happening did anyone else notice it. IF it did happen it only hurt her sons and they should be ashamed. that said if i were charles i'd be most afraid of the silence, imo a very telling moment and something to worry about. he was brave standing up there exposed to their wrath with i must say a sincere smile on his face since the crowd was directly across the street. the few shots of him at the service he showed more emotion than i expected while wills seemed stoneface and detached- i never saw him look up not even during harry's speech perhaps it was only when he knew the camera was on him.

I noticed someone yelling as Prince Charles walked up the steps, but I wasn't quite sure what they were saying. But if I remember correctly the yelling didn't continue as he stood on the steps with his sons. Maybe Prince Charles didn't even hear it, but if he did, he did an excellent job of ignoring it.

I have to say, the Memorial left good impression on me as well. I'm glad they managed to carry everything out in such a dignified way. The family was indeed very warm, this picture is one of many that demonstrate that (Harry bents down to kiss the Queen, while William reaches out for his father).
Why where royal men wearing what appears to be the Blues and Royals Regimental tie?
William is reaching out to his Grandfather not his father.

The Memorial Service 31 August 2007

IMHO, William has seems to become more and more Windsor. I know he has too because of his future role and Harry has more freedom but I would of loved to heard something of his personal side of his mother, not just a bible verse. Any one could have read a bible verse but very few people can really speak of the love and devotion of Diana as a mother. I know Diana would be proud of both of her sons, but I am really proud of Harry, especally at the age he was when his mother died. He has really grown into a wonderful young man.
I think maybe because of their roles or their future roles and the fact that William was always seen as academic which means may have been seen as better for Harry to do the speech. Since William also known to have the tendency to keep personal feelings to himself if he had spoken probably would have been emotional maybe even cried which gone against his public persona. Even though it would have been exceptable and even exspected but not seen as proper for him.

Why where royal men wearing what appears to be the Blues and Royals Regimental tie?
William is reaching out to his Grandfather not his father.

Prince Philip is Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, so he too wore the Household Cavalry tie. Prince Charles is CIC of one of the Cavalry regiments, though I can't remember which one at the moment. Other members of the family and the wider congregation who have served in the Household Cavalry also wore it. I noticed a few men who aren't family wearing it. I gather anyone with association to Household Cavalry was encouraged to wear it. :flowers:

Yes it was a wonderful service for remebering the life of the Princess of Wales. Does anybody know where you can watch the full service I only got to watch 15 minutes of it.

I looked through my tv guide and don't see a repeat listed. NBC are having a Dateline Special this evening starting at 9pm ET ( I think they said on MSNBC??) however in some areas such as Atlanta it will be pre-empted by NFL Football.

Okay..just looked again and Fox News will be reshowing it at 9pm ET.

Last edited:
I've switched between Foxnews (sister station of SkyNews in GB) and MSNBC as they have had a good focus on royal news all day. Christopher Andersen pipes up promoting Kate Middleton, feigning astonishment each and everytime he mentions (I lost count at 8 times during the day) how Kate and William spent the night together before the Memorial Concert a few weeks ago. He keeps calling her the future Queen.

BeatrixFan, as requested, your picture of Raine Spencer
Thankyou! Lovely dress, wierd hat, funky brooch. Lurvin it. Shame we havent seen the hair though but the absence of scaffolding suggests it wasn't any bigger.

Bravo to the two Princes for a wonderful remembance of their mother -- exactly as how she should be remembered -- their mother NOT fashion icon. We must all remember that these two incredible young men lost their mother -- not some pin-up. I think back to watching "The Queen" when the Queen Mother said something about "... those hysterics down in London needing help with their grief ..." HOW RIGHT! No one had any right to grieve or ask for help with their grief --- as much as her two sons.

This ceremony proved that while they absolultely loved and adored their mother -- as they should -- they are absolultely WINDSORS! They understand who they are, who they are not, and how to deal with it.

Harry's speech was brilliant. Thank God, Earl Spencer wasn't permitted the opportunity to speak -- he has some nerve judging others when he himself is an adulterer brought to court by two wives!

God Save the Queen and the Windsors!

Prince Harry's tribute was moving and made me cry a little. I wish the camera hadn't focused on William for a good part of it, though. Were they trying to catch him losing his composure? Good grief! I though the Queen looked lovely. She is the epitome of dignity. If only she could get Princess Beatrice to see a stylist. She's is too pretty a girl to look like she shops at Goodwill.

I saw some pictures of Earl Spencer's daughters over at Getty, and wow are they pretty. I still can't believe how grown up they are.
The only other cousins I recognized there were Sarah's two children, I believe. Did Jane and her children attend?

Here are some pictures from Rex.
Her Majesty and the principal royal men
Some people have wondered about the Household Cavalry tie. Well, of course Prince William and Prince Harry are Blues and Royals officers; Prince Philip is Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, another Household Cavalry unit; and Prince Charles is Colonel of the Welsh Guards.
Prince William, Prince Harry, the Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Prince of Wales, Princess Beatrice
Princess Beatrice
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie
Very pregnant Lady Nicholas Windsor (and you can see the hat of the Countess of St. Andrews next to her)
Peter Phillips kiss-greets Princess Beatrice
similar
Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester :D
Gary and Lady Davina Lewis
Gary Lewis, the Countess of St Andrews, Lady Helen Taylor....
The Duchess of Kent
Prince Michael of Kent
Lady Gabriella Windsor and Princess Michael of Kent
Similar
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Daniel and Lady Sarah Chatto
Tim Taylor, Lady Helen, Lady Davina and Gary Lewis, the Earl of St Andrews, Lord Nicholas Windsor... (and a smidgeon of the Countess of St. Andrews) ;)
Tim Taylor, Lady Helen, Prince William
Spencer side: George M talking to Prince Harry, Neil McCorquodale, the Ladies Spencer, and hardly seen Laura Fellowes (Neil McCorquodale wearing the much-talked-about Household Cavalry tie)

For christinacg's question: I have noticed only Laura & Eleanor Fellowes from Lady Jane's family, and of course Baron Fellowes, and from Lady Sarah's family, only George McCorquodale (and his father Neil as seen above) so far. Emily & Celia McCorquodale and Alexander Fellowes are still MIA. ;)

Last edited:
The brooch Queen Elizabeth is wearing, I believe, is one of the Russian brooches that Queen Mary acquired.

Not so.

Her Majesty wore the Duchess of Cambridge Pendant Brooch.

The brooch had belonged to Princess Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge and upon her death was inherited by her daughter, Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck who then bequeathed it to her daughter, Queen Mary

Last edited:
I know it may be taboo and scandalous but Camilla Al-Fayed would make a beautiful princess next to William or Harry...she is so chic and classic...

Does anyone think this will be the "last" memorial service to Diana in the presence of the Windsors?

Diana will always be remembered publicly though...there's always going to be something her sons will be invovled in or something on tv, in books. It seems like Harry more than ever wants to see her live on positively...these tributes have really been a great a way to get rid of all the negative energy...

Perhaps what would have been the 50th birthday of the princess will be noted by William and Harry again....just a scant 4 years from now.

That's a great eulogy by Prince Henry. felt so much sadness listening to Prince Harry's eulogy that I became teary eyed.. Harry looks as though he was in so much pain.

Back
Top Bottom