The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know, Lady K, I agree about the Queen, gorgeous purple outfit, and gorgeous brooch!

Yes, George McCorquodale almost fooled me again into thinking he was Prince Harry. :lol: But then I did double take and saw how much more filled out he is than Harry. But it is interesting Harry sat with the Spencers. That was a nice thing. The "boys" show loyalty to both clans. Good on them!

Princess Anne, and the Duchess of Gloucester, they look gorgeous today, wow!

I edited the guest list on page one, adding Peter Phillips, and others I saw. But what do you think? Anyone see Miss Autumn Kelly? Or Zara? I did not see Zara, but I can't imagine she's not there, unless she had an equestrian event to compete in.

The Duchess of Gloucester's hat was far too big. Nobody find her face underneath it to give the customary 2 kisses. Princess Anne on the other hand donned an old friend of a hat that we could only see from the back. Most sensible.

I always hate those hats the Sophie chooses.YUCK

The only royal family member not present was Prince Andrew but his daughters where there and the Duchess of Kent was there too- her hair looked lovely and, considering her age, she looked almost like Helen's sister not her mother. I presume the seating of Harry and William was purposely done to show the respect for their mother's family.

Loved the male to male hugs and kisses of the royals:flowers:

The Duke of York is in Malaya for the 50th anniversary of independance. The Duchess of Kent was indeed there in a very silly hat but looking quite sprightly and alot better than the death-warmed-up look we've been so used to for the past few years. No Princess Alexandra.

queen elizabeth was perfect. what i do love more in this british royalty is how they look all... so royal!

Queen Elizabeth II (L) and Prince Philip drive past well-wishers on their way to the Service of Thanksgiving for the late Diana, Princess of Wales at Guards Chapel in London, 31 August 2007. Thousands of people flocked to Buckingham Palace to see arrivals of the royal family and guests. August 31 marks the 10th Anniversary since Diana was kiled in a car crash in Paris

ANP Beeldbank

Prince Harry

Yahoo! News Photo

Prince William and Prince Harry

Yahoo! News Photo

Spencer Family

Yahoo! News Photo
10th Anniversary of Princess Diana's Death on Yahoo! News Photos

Gallery

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Remembering Diana

Last edited:
I want to say 'Bravo' to everyone who was there and paid respect to Diana. I'm a little disapointed by William's choice of speech but I'm so proud of Harry who found the right words to express his thoughts. I'm now more than ever 'in love' with royalty. I really liked the image of Harry smiling with Earl Spencer and Sarah McCorquodale at the exit of the chapel. The songs chosen were very poignant and I stay with the sound of applause in my head when the Royal Family got out. Long life to the Monarchy ! :britflag:

Last edited:
it was a beautiful ceremony!! simple but true words about Diana and her life!!! princess diana would have been so proud of her sons!!!
they respect so well the memory of her mother!!

The seating is rather queer - William is practically sitting on the Queen's lap whilst Charles couldn't be furthur away. The space between him and the Duke of Edinburgh really is quite evident.

I have seen flashes of the service on the news. Well, when reading your sentence above I had visions of the Prince and the Duke trying their best to be miles away, but essentially I saw nothing special. Just the bunch in a bench.

:lol:

Was there a sign outside Wellington Barracks saying: Men not allowed ? It did look like a gathering of readers of women's magazines!

:ermm:

Last edited:
Does anyone else think that the Queen and Prince Philip look aprehensive in being there at the beginning? They seem to look down when they entered the ceromony. On their way out it looked that they were looking at the people there to gange the response to them. Also, I think Prince Charles was a good father making sure Prince Harry had his speech with him. Prince Harry's speach WAS WONDERFUL IN HIS TRIBUTE TO HIS MOTHER!! I hope she can rest in peace now. I think the boys tried to make this memorial a healing and closure for both families.:flowers:

Someone really needs to teach William how to speak publicly. Swaying about like he's had a few. The seating is rather queer - William is practically sitting on the Queen's lap whilst Charles couldn't be furthur away. The space between him and the Duke of Edinburgh really is quite evident. And Harry on the Spencers side - all very odd.

I think it's really nice for them to sit each on the other side of the aisle with the two families.
I believe this way they want to show the families are united in their grief and devotion for Diana.

Indeed, Prince Harry's speech was touching. Prince William should learn speaking in public (and making sense), especially given his future role.

Wenn has more pictures. I didn't know Princess Alexandra was going to be present at the memorial. I haven't seen Zara anywhere though, was she present?

The Household Cavalry tie

Thank you for the pictures, Avalon. Nice new avatar, BTW! :)

I notice the principal royal men are wearing what I presume from memory to be the Household Cavalry tie. I understand PW and PH being officers of the Blues and Royals. I think Prince Philip wears it because he is Colonel of the Grenadier Guards. I am sure Prince Charles is also a CIC of one of the Cavalry regiments, though I cannot recollect which one.
The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael also are retired from the Household Cavalry, right? I am guessing they wore the special tie as well though I didn't notice.

Well, Prince William only read a reading from the Bible, and not a speech of his own, so I think that we should give him some leeway, as those stories are not very reader friendly, and no one ever accused the bible of making sense.

On a side note - This is my 1000th post. YEA!

The Duchess of Kent is absent. Maybe she's teaching today.

No,dear Katherine was there.

Thought it to be an appropiate and moving service.

Suppose Zara must be at an equestrian event?

Okay. Princess Anne was there. I thought that she was supposed to be elsewhere today? Ah well.The American and British commentators are just idiots.

The Princess Royal wasn't on the books for any other engagement today. It was strange she wasn't on the royal diary as being at the service, but it is a relief she attended the service. Her absence would have been odd. She knew Diana for so many years, and Diana was much-loved by Anne's children, and I have always thought Diana and Anne seemed to have a pleasant relationship, at least in public.

Agree about the commentators! All that stupid rambling on CNN about how Prince Harry was more candid or something than Prince William. Everything Christopher Anderson had to say was the lamest. And what about that one guy saying that Diana tried to bring the boys up "ordinarily", and "you see that in the schools they attended"! :rolleyes: Eton College, for "ordinary" people! :lol:

Princess Alexandra obviously didn't get the message saying "No black outfits". She was done up for a funeral. Any snaps of Raine? I like to keep a measure on how big the hair is.

Where can I find pix of Sophie Wessex ? I saw her and Tim Lawrence at the end of the service. He was gently stroking her cheek

Princess Alexandra obviously didn't get the message saying "No black outfits". She was done up for a funeral. Any snaps of Raine? I like to keep a measure on how big the hair is.

:lol: Sam always great for keeping the mood from being too serious or depressing!

The Duchess of Gloucester's hat was far too big. Nobody find her face underneath it to give the customary 2 kisses. Princess Anne on the other hand donned an old friend of a hat that we could only see from the back. Most sensible.

Both these women were among the best dressed. The Duchess of Gloucester always amazes me, at 60 looking so beautiful and fit. Maybe she was trying to nod to the absent Camilla; someone after all has to wear the dangerously wide brimmed hat, and if not Camilla, why not Birgitte? :D

The queen looks wonderful! What brooch is she wearing?

Didn´t get a good look, but looked like the Cullinan.

I thought the Duchess of Kent looked very old, possibly unwell, and seemed like she had put on a lot of weight. As usual, Princess Anne´s outfit looked about 20 years out of date. I thought Princess Michael´s hat looked far too big, and dress too shiny for the occassion. The one lady who stood out as being very elegant was actually Norma Major, wife of former PM Sir John Major

And what about that one guy saying that Diana tried to bring the boys up "ordinarily", and "you see that in the schools they attended"! :rolleyes: Eton College, for "ordinary" people! :lol:

You caught that too! That made me laugh. There wre many things the commentators said that showed how not well informed they are about Diana and the royal family.

Harry's speech was wonderful! I was hoping there would have been more personal speeches like that. The formality of it all made it rather boring.

Indeed, Prince Harry's speech was touching. Prince William should learn speaking in public (and making sense), especially given his future role.

Wenn has more pictures. I didn't know Princess Alexandra was going to be present at the memorial. I haven't seen Zara anywhere though, was she present?

I thought William´s delievry of his reading was just fine. It was a difficult passage to read, and I think he did a good job. Going forward, he will have to improve his public speaking, but that will come with experience. This really si the first year he is making speeches in piublic,and in time I am sure he will get better

I watched the service at home this morning (late to work as a result :D ) and I thought it was wonderful. When the BBC announcer said Harry had a speech I just cringed... but it was excellent. I thought William did just fine; I've had to read Gospel passages at weddings and funerals and it's really awkward - I didn't find his delivery awkward or mumbled at all.

They both did a brilliant job and I hope they're pleased with the results.

I thought William´s delievry of his reading was just fine. It was a difficult passage to read, and I think he did a good job. Going forward, he will have to improve his public speaking, but that will come with experience. This really si the first year he is making speeches in piublic,and in time I am sure he will get better

I thought he didn't do a particularly good job, but that's just my opinion. Of course, I agree with wil come from experience, if he will try hard enough.

I was able to see the service on television and I must say I found it all very dignified and very British, in the best sense of the word. I actually like the speech of the Bisshop of London, though his opening remark was rather unfortunate (but everybody paid attention immediately).

The RF (from the minor to the major royals) appeared rather warm and even affectionate towards the two princes. Do the men of the family usually kiss? Even the Duke of Edinburgh kissed his grandsons, which I never expected him to do in public. The RF seemed rather unified and dignified, for which I am happy.

The hymns and music of the service was absolutely beautiful, esp. the one of Rachmaninov but Mozarts Ave Verum was beautiful too (as were the other shymns). Does anybody know if there in an order of service to be found anywhere?

I think it's really nice for them to sit each on the other side of the aisle with the two families.
I believe this way they want to show the families are united in their grief and devotion for Diana.

Exactly my thought about it! I think it shows solidarity with both clans and heritage, both Windsor and Spencer. Very nice.

Maybe some of these links were already posted.
Report and pictures on the Daily Mail

Two links from Hello! website:
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2007/08/31/diana-memorial-main/
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2007/08/31/diana-service-wills/

Hola!
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2007/08/31/diana-aniversario/

ITN
http://www.itn.co.uk has good videos.

The BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6971415.stm

I have to say, the Memorial left good impression on me as well. I'm glad they managed to carry everything out in such a dignified way. The family was indeed very warm, this picture is one of many that demonstrate that (Harry bents down to kiss the Queen, while William reaches out for his father).
This would be a beautiful memorial and a beautiful tribute for their mother, had it not been for the Media circus.

You can read Prince Harry's tribute to his mother here.

Back
Top Bottom