The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was able to see the service on television and I must say I found it all very dignified and very British, in the best sense of the word. I actually like the speech of the Bisshop of London, though his opening remark was rather unfortunate (but everybody paid attention immediately).

The RF (from the minor to the major royals) appeared rather warm and even affectionate towards the two princes. Do the men of the family usually kiss? Even the Duke of Edinburgh kissed his grandsons, which I never expected him to do in public. The RF seemed rather unified and dignified, for which I am happy.
Yes, they usually do the kiss-greetings. :)
The hymns and music of the service was absolutely beautiful, esp. the one of Rachmaninov but Mozarts Ave Verum was beautiful too (as were the other shymns). Does anybody know if there in an order of service to be found anywhere?

I believe the BBC link above has a PDF file to download which shows the service programme.

hope it's rebroadcast tonight

I saw a few minutes before having to leave for work. I was taken aback by the 'who's cheating' remark before the minister explained it. I did like his comment about not using Diana's memory to score points for either side of a debate, just let her rest in peace. I thought Princess Anne was not supposed to attend, news commentors here had pointed out (even while the service was on Fox, ABC news had Tina Brown saying P. Anne wasn't attending as she had another engagement and insinuated that P. Anne and Diana had never been close. I'm glad to see the 'talking heads' are often wrong.) but I think the Princess Royal doesn't get enough credit for all she does--without making headlines just to show what all she does. I'm sure that in the US that CSPAN or other networks will rebroadcast the service.
I thought the Queen looked fabulous (as she always does) as well as Elton John. Hope to see photos of the royals to see which hats were great, which were ridiculous :flowers:

Do the men of the family usually kiss? Even the Duke of Edinburgh kissed his grandsons, which I never expected him to do in public.
Yes, this is not uncommon with the Windsors. It seems to be a "European" custom, but is more likely just the way close Royals greet each other.

Charles looks proud at his sons in the picture

I have to say, the Memorial left good impression on me as well. I'm glad they managed to carry everything out in such a dignified way. The family was indeed very warm, this picture is one of many that demonstrate that (Harry bents down to kiss the Queen, while William reaches out for his father).
This would be a beautiful memorial and a beautiful tribute for their mother, had it not been for the Media circus.

You can read Prince Harry's tribute to his mother here.

Yes, this is not uncommon with the Windsors. It seems to be a "European" custom, but is more likely just the way close Royals greet each other.

I have seen many times Prince William and Prince Harry greet their Windsor relations like this. They did this with Charles their whole life, and noticeably to Prince Philip at the Westminster-van Cutsem wedding in 2004.

Russian hymns during royal events

The hymns and music of the service was absolutely beautiful, esp. the one of Rachmaninov but Mozarts Ave Verum was beautiful too (as were the other shymns).

I noticed that also on the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands a heartbreakingly poignant Russian hymn was sung (Tebye Poyem from the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom by Sergey Rachmaninov).

The same during the church service for the wedding of The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall when also a Russian piece was to be heard (The Creed from the Russian Orthodox Liturgy by Aleksandr Gretchaninov).

I really like these un-understandable mysterious Russian sounds reaching out for eternity.... wonderful!

A pic of Sir Elton John and partner David Furnish accompanying Camilla al Fayed. Check out those killer heels! :ohmy:

The service was conducted in a very appropriate manner. As expected, the accent of the service was given to forgiveness and compassion. I have enjoyed listening good English.
I have been really, really surprised to see Camilla Al-Fayed there.

A pic of Sir Elton John and partner David Furnish accompanying Camilla al Fayed. Check out those killer heels! :ohmy:

Why not, if she can walk in them?:) It would be her feet that hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful service. The readings, prayers and the prince's speech were very fitting. It was also nice to see the Royal Family singing the hymns, and I was impressed with how they greeted each other before and after the service.

A good day to be royal....

I noticed that also on the funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands a heartbreakingly poignant Russian hymn was sung (Tebye Poyem from the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom by Sergey Rachmaninov).

The same during the church service for the wedding of The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall when also a Russian piece was to be heard (The Creed from the Russian Orthodox Liturgy by Aleksandr Gretchaninov).

I really like these un-understandable mysterious Russian sounds reaching out for eternity.... wonderful!

Quite right, both of those Russian songs are wonderful, I enjoyed them greatly.
Incidentally, Tebye Poem means For you we sing in Russian. Beautiful. :)

Zara Phillips was competing at the Burghley Horse Trials. I had thought so but I wanted to double check on that.
As already stated, Prince Andrew was engaged in Malaysia for the independence celebrations.
I understand Sarah, Duchess of York had been invited but declined because she felt her attendence at a "royal event" would be inappropriate. Strange to me because she was Diana's friend and there were plenty of Diana's non-royal associations attending. Maybe there was another reason besides this one reported which doesn't make a lot of sense.

And her bag, I think a Birkin, right? She is a fashionable lady, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Just been looking at the pictures, and Harry certainly does seem to be "broadening out" - Is it just me or do others feel so as well?

i got up early and i'm so glad i did. it was a very dignified if not staid program song, reading, song, reading, etc. i was disappointed wills didn't give a more personal speech but harry made up for it with his moving, personal message (i believe he wrote it himself and not a palace speech writer, which made it much more touching) do anyone know if the applause from outside could be heard inside after his speech?
it was very respectful they greeted everyone after the service on the steps, i'm glad they did that instead of heading to the cars. did anyone go over to greet the crowd across the street- were they acknowledged or ignored?
i believe i saw zara on the steps after the service talking to harry in a white hat? i was glad to see princess ann and her husband attend and it was a very sweet gesture when he stroked sophies cheek when saying goodbye. i loved the funny family scene when prince charles checked to make sure harry had his speech, he seems to have a good affectionate relationship with his sons (i was kinda worried he'd be pouty) but he seemed in good humor and gracious to everyone. The queen looked beautiful and antimated with those around her
BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Remembering Diana (favorite photo today)
on the steps her and charles seemed to be having a few words (if my lip reading is correct) he seemed to say "no i won't" and shake his head a few time (i wondered if she was asking him to cross the street and shake some hands) i'm glad it went so well and now its OVER- hopefully the bishops words to leave Diana in peace will move a few hearts to move on, i'm not going to hold my breath.

Why shunned Fergie turned down her invite to the Diana service | the Daily Mail

She did not feel welcome (wel according to the daily mail)

I understand Sarah, Duchess of York had been invited but declined because she felt her attendence at a "royal event" would be inappropriate
Strange to me because she was Diana's friend and there were plenty of Diana's non-royal associations attending. Maybe there was another reason besides this one reported which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to see the service on television and I must say I found it all very dignified and very British, in the best sense of the word. I actually like the speech of the Bisshop of London, though his opening remark was rather unfortunate (but everybody paid attention immediately).

The RF (from the minor to the major royals) appeared rather warm and even affectionate towards the two princes. Do the men of the family usually kiss? Even the Duke of Edinburgh kissed his grandsons, which I never expected him to do in public. The RF seemed rather unified and dignified, for which I am happy.

The hymns and music of the service was absolutely beautiful, esp. the one of Rachmaninov but Mozarts Ave Verum was beautiful too (as were the other shymns). Does anybody know if there in an order of service to be found anywhere?

http://www.royalblog.nl/

at the left in the link.

I had a very loooooonnng breakfast today!

Silly to ask but...Kate Middleton was obviously not at the Chapel, right?

No, and neither was Cheldy Davy. It appears that the Princes made the decision to include only those that knew Diana, and furthermore it was said (by Robin Leech) that they thought that having their girlfriends there would have distracted from the point of the memorial. I quite agree. It would have been a windstorm of are they/aren't they.

I think in the memorial service the most beautiful phrase was Prince Harry´s "The Best Mother in the World".

Princes William, Harry, charles, and Phillip were wearing the same tie.

I also agree with you, Empress. Maybe their presence was appropiate for Wembley, which was a completely different atmosphere...

How very nice. It all went well. Prince Harry was finally able to say all the things, I believe, he wanted the world to know about how he felt about his mother. The whole family looked lovely. The world didn't come to an end for all the naysayers. Very well done.

The brooch Queen Elizabeth is wearing, I believe, is one of the Russian brooches that Queen Mary acquired.

The service was lovely, and I think that Prince Harry spoke beautifully of his mother. It was nice seeing the boys family (both Windsors and Spencers) come together for this. It was also nice of the boys to invite Dodi's sister. It was a nice, quiet service that got right down to it. I enjoyed the music also, (much more than the concert!)

Princes William, Harry, charles, and Phillip were wearing the same tie.

They were in a military Chapel and wore their regimental ties.

Just been looking at the pictures, and Harry certainly does seem to be "broadening out" - Is it just me or do others feel so as well?

Yes thought the same. The Prince seems to gain weight.

European? Isn't Britain also in Europe?
:lol:
Yes, it is Continental. I do the same: kissing my male family as well close friends.

Last edited:
No, and neither was Cheldy Davy. It appears that the Princes made the decision to include only those that knew Diana, and furthermore it was said (by Robin Leech) that they thought that having their girlfriends there would have distracted from the point of the memorial. I quite agree. It would have been a windstorm of are they/aren't they.

I had on Fox News this morning before work. They kept the camera on one young dark haired girl for a while. At quick glance I thought it was her but realized it wasn't when I really looked at her. The cameraman and the producers in the control room must have been convinced they had her because they only kept the camera on the family or famous people that long.

The Royalist - Solitary Voice Heckles Charles At Diana Memorial
(yea i know) is reporting a lone heckler when prince charles arrived. there was good applause for the queen and princes but total silence when the PoW arrived. i missed this happening did anyone else notice it. IF it did happen it only hurt her sons and they should be ashamed. that said if i were charles i'd be most afraid of the silence, imo a very telling moment and something to worry about. he was brave standing up there exposed to their wrath with i must say a sincere smile on his face since the crowd was directly across the street. the few shots of him at the service he showed more emotion than i expected while wills seemed stoneface and detached- i never saw him look up not even during harry's speech perhaps it was only when he knew the camera was on him.

I had on Fox News this morning before work. They kept the camera on one young dark haired girl for a while. At quick glance I thought it was her but realized it wasn't when I really looked at her. The cameraman and the producers in the control room must have been convinced they had her because they only kept the camera on the family or famous people that long.

That probably was Camilla Al Fayed.

i love all, thanks for the videos. without any dout this 2 princes know how to organize something. first a big consert and now this beloved service.

Beautiful service!! Eugenie looked gorgeous and royal!! I have great respect for the Princess Royal but when is she going to learn how to dress... She's so fit for her age but she looks older than Her Majesty. I know that it's probably not important for her but get at least a minimum of taste. Zara please do something!!!

I loved the speech of Prince Harry. It was so true and so heartly. I had cried when Harry hold the speech.

Back
Top Bottom