The Late Princess of Wales' Likes and Dislikes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maryshawn

Serene Highness
City
Green Bay
Country
United States
As someone who has always loved learning about Princess Diana, I want to know more about what she liked, what she couldn't abide. My list so far:

Likes: Her children (loves not likes), America, Jimmy Choo shoes (her "tart trotters" she called them for their height), Goutal perfume, pearls, Butler & Wilson faux jewels, massage and aromatherapy, chicken and shephard's pie, chocolates like kit kats, walks by the sea, books on Jackie O and Audrey Hepburn, videos (what was the one Burrell mentioned in his book as her favorite?), Jantzen swimsuits, stuffed animals, Fogal tights, la Perla underwear, and events allowing her to meet and interact with the needy.

Dislikes: Tiggy the nanny, tiaras (too heavy; gave her headaches), the paparazzi (distinct from the photographers who worked with her for beautiful photos), the men who "run" the Family, events in hot weather, alcohol ("I'm afraid I'll become addicted like too many others in my family), the Prince of Wales' carpet in the Front Hall at Kensington Palace ("gaudy"), "people who make money off of me." (if only she knew how many did it after her death!).

maryshawn said:
Dislikes: Tiggy the nanny, tiaras (too heavy; gave her headaches), the paparazzi (distinct from the photographers who worked with her for beautiful photos), the men who "run" the Family, events in hot weather, alcohol ("I'm afraid I'll become addicted like too many others in my family), the Prince of Wales' carpet in the Front Hall at Kensington Palace ("gaudy"), "people who make money off of me." (if only she knew how many did it after her death!).

Hey Maryshawn :)

I agree on all things you have mentioned (I think no explanation is needed for disliking Tiggy Legg-Bourke :D :D ) , but in fact she did LOVE tiara's!! Escpecially the Spencer Tiara. She loved it. The "Lovers Knot" (if that was the other tiara she owned) was very disliked by Diana, because it was to heavy and it caused headaches, as you already said.

But the Spencer tiara was loved by Diana, just for your information :)

Hello maryshawn, I love princess Diana and I love to know many things about her too :D , I'm agree with you in all the things, did you know she liked the song "I will always love you" by Withney Houston? she heard it many times when she was in Highgrove with Charles, I read it in the Burrell's book. Diana hated smoking too, I suppose she will be sad from heaven seeing her children smoking. Definitly Diana was a very healthy woman, isn't she?, no smoke, no alcohol, yes exercise :D ... royal_sophie is right, Diana loved Spencer's tiara, and she was very sad when she had to give it to her brother.

thanks for everythings,maryshawn!

im sure Princess Diana dislikes as tiggy the nanny because she recalled of losses baby and tiggy have affair with Prince Charles and lots more! but Diana been mostly photographer woman in the world making she getting headaches for her all the times i read in the book i really agree it but Diana hold her purses hold by their faces they wont show it! im sure Diana really love tiara lots but she dislikes tiara because its really making her as headaches lots!

Princess Diana really love Jimmy Choo's shoes lots since she been tours lots and she been at theatres,ballet,etc because he making shoe for Princess Diana what Diana really wanted it for trip! but Diana needs walk with heels she like to walk more tallest but its more warning what i read in Diana's dressing her shoe designer says the designer told Diana about warning more near the people when Diana can walk with heels!

Sara Boyce

Thank you all for your replies.....you are right; she did love the Spencer family tiara and was very hurt when her brother demanded she return it--for no good reason. I have more to add.

Likes: San Lorenzo restaurant, pasta and chicken, Jaegre le Coultre watches, alternative therapies, aromatherapy (always had candles burning with various scents), her sitting room which was very cozy, vacations in warm climates, tanning in her own tanning booth, Diorissimo perfume, Fogal nylons, Ray-ban sunglasses, Jantzen swimsuits, and casual outings to McDonalds with her sons. Even before her marriage, she enjoyed her Big Mac now and then..... She also had a huge collection of Stuffed animals. She loved books too--biographies of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Audrey Hepburn were favorites, Barbara Cartland novels and books about subjects she was interested in like Islam. She even read Gray's Anatomy to be more informed when she was dating Hasnat Khan, the surgeon.

Dislikes: Sleeping w/o light on outside her door, the nighttime in general, being alone, frilly clothes (later in life) including her wedding dress (she told designer Robert Devorik when she saw a photo of it, it was packed away and she hoped moths had reduced some of the volume of the dress and then said "yuck!" regarding the dress), and the Queen's corgis.

I wonder that barbara cartland, famous writer.. her stepgrandmother right???

karla

karla64 said:
I wonder that barbara cartland, famous writer.. her stepgrandmother right???

karla
yeh i believe she was her stepgrandmother

Yes, Barbara was the mother of Raine, Diana's stepmother :)

maryshawn said:
Thank you all for your replies.....you are right; she did love the Spencer family tiara and was very hurt when her brother demanded she return it--for no good reason. I have more to add.
oh my gosh!
how dare Diana saw that pictures? she found out? and the HM Queen's corgis!
Sara Boyce

Last edited by a moderator:
The corgi story is funny....once when Diana was having dinner with the Queen she wore red tights and she had a hard time discreetly fending off the corgis who thought her legs were edible meat!

Also, the funny thing about her step-grandmother, Raine's mum, Barbara Cartland is Diana loved her books but did not particularly like Mrs. Cartland. She put her foot down and did not invite her to the wedding--which Mrs. Cartland found very hurtful.

Favourite music

One of Diana's favourite pieces of music was the Brief Encounter theme by Rachmaninoff. Apparently she would listen to it for hours. I believe that Brief Encounter was also one of her favourite films.

These are all great! Thanks for reminder on Spencer Family Tiara vs. Love Knot tiara (isn't that kind of a fascinating irony giving her a tiara which could be said a Love Not)? Brief Encounter was one of her favorites; the Rachmoninoff associated with it, I did not know.....neat. The last CDs she played incessantly with Dodi were George Michael's "Older," especially the song "You Have Been Loved and the entire theme from the "The English Patient." As far as personal hygiene, she loved Body Shop products, listerine mouth wash, and pantene hairspray--just regular old Listerine and Pantene.....I find these kind of tidbits fascinating. It's like seeing a photo of President Lincoln and then holding a few locks of his hair in your hand. Its the simple things that make these celebrities more "real" and fascinating.....

There is one thing until now,i have not known clearly is does Diana like or didlike the Queen?How was their relationship going?

maryshawn said:
Thanks for reminder on Spencer Family Tiara vs. Love Knot tiara (isn't that kind of a fascinating irony giving her a tiara which could be said a Love Not)?
Do we know that Charles didn't come to love her, or was it just that he couldn't live with her? One of the most touching stories I've read about her likes was when Charles went to Paris to collect her body, and they were getting her ready to leave the hospital. He asked them to look for her earrings (one was lost) because, he said, she always liked to wear them when she was out in public.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
There is one thing until now,i have not known clearly is does Diana like or didlike the Queen?How was their relationship going?

I think she respected the Queen a lot; at least, that's what she's quoted as saying. I'm not sure they had enough in common to like each other, but I really don't know.

una said:
Do we know that Charles didn't come to love her, or was it just that he couldn't live with her? One of the most touching stories I've read about her likes was when Charles went to Paris to collect her body, and they were getting her ready to leave the hospital. He asked them to look for her earrings (one was lost) because, he said, she always liked to wear them when she was out in public.
There is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles loved Diana until the day she died and she loved him. He said after her death that someday the Royal Archives would show "the truth about his relationship with Diana".

The divorce was necessary to preserve the monarchy and end the damaging war between the two sides' courtiers and advisers. And John Major advised the Queen it was time (i.e. you must order a divorce) to end the fighting.

branchg said:
There is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles loved Diana until the day she died and she loved him. He said after her death that someday the Royal Archives would show "the truth about his relationship with Diana"
Uh, Diana said that in the Panorma interview with Martin Bashir.

At the risk of uttering two nasty words "Simone Simmons" I was surfing the web earlier and Simmons apparently claimed that George W. Bush (yes, our pres) had a triste with Diana.

I would hope this isn't true.

Good grief. With friends like that, Diana didn't need enemies too.

maryshawn said:
Does anyone know why the Earl demanded the tiara back?
Did he demand or did he ask? Why would he be so mean?

lashinka2002 said:
Diana and her brother did not have a good brother/sister relationship. After they had an argument concerning his rescinding an offer for Diana to have a private cottage on the grounds of Althorp, Charles Spencer demanded the tiara back out of spite.

He offered Diana refuge on the grounds of Althorp. Diana had picked a cottage and was redecorating it. Right then, Earl Spencer pulled the carpet out from under her feet leaving Diana extremely hurt and angry. Why offer and then take it away when the project is already going forward? It has been said that he withdrew the offer because of the presence of bodyguards, but they would only have been there when William and Harry came to visit. Diana did away with her bodyguards upon separating from Prince Charles.

Diana had every right to mad at her brother for this!

I don't know what the timing was in terms of the return of the tiara and his own wedding, but once he was married his wife would be needing to use the tiara, and Diana did have the use of another one. It could well be that it was the result of a family spat, though. It seems as though they're quite common among the Spencers (not just this generation, either).

Elspeth said:
I don't know what the timing was in terms of the return of the tiara and his own wedding, but once he was married his wife would be needing to use the tiara, and Diana did have the use of another one. It could well be that it was the result of a family spat, though. It seems as though they're quite common among the Spencers (not just this generation, either).
Diana gave the tiara for Victoria Lockwood to wear on her wedding day in 1989. After the wedding, it was given back to Diana to use upon the condition that she return it whenever Victoria might need it. Also, there are other Spencer tiaras. Diana also liked wearing her family tiara because it was much lighter than the Lover's Knot Tiara. Diana always said that tiara gave her headaches.

The Earl Spencer demanded the complete return of the tiara in 1995 after rescinding his offer to Diana to have a house at Althorp. There was a nasty altercation, and he wanted the tiara back out of spite.

The whole tiara/cottage business was just spiteful on Earl Spencer's part IMO. So petty..... He didn't want "the crowds and attention" and now is inviting/promoting the attention and crowds to make money off of his sister's death. Ugh! Now that the crowds have started to dwindle, I'm waiting for his next idea on how to make money. I'm hoping he doesn't start offering boat rides to visit her grave on the island. For some reason, that popped into my head--and I put nothing past this man!

I found it so interesting she had to have a light on when she was sleeping and would often keep the TV on till she fell asleep. I wonder why she was so afraid of the dark? She was fearful of things like that but went jogging under the cover of night in not always the safest neighborhoods and was totally fearless about that! It's as if she was more afraid in her own home then elsewhere....... I've also read there was no one in the house at night when the boys weren't home. Wouldn't you think there would be a guard or someone about? I know there were some in the booth outside the Palace; I just think there would be more inside. Then again, that disturbed man did get into the Queen's bedroom years ago......

foxy_digitalis said:
Did Victoria Lockwood actually wear the Spencer tiara associated with Diana at her wedding to the (then) Viscount Althorp? I found the following picture, and though it's difficult to say for certain, it doesn't look like the same tiara Diana wore. What a shame if there was a row about it and she didn't even wear it!

Yes, she did wear the Spencer tiara - you can read (& see) more about the wedding on this thread:)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4098

lashinka2002 said:

The Earl Spencer asked Diana to return the tiara a few months after he married as it actually belonged to him. His grandfather had left the tiara to him in 1975 and Diana was only "borrowing" it.

I doubt he was being mean. Diana was separated at that point and rarely wore tiaras anyway. He also knew she had the Lover's Knot Tiara for her use, so it's not like she didn't have one to use.

maryshawn said:
The whole tiara/cottage business was just spiteful on Earl Spencer's part IMO. So petty..... He didn't want "the crowds and attention" and now is inviting/promoting the attention and crowds to make money off of his sister's death. Ugh! Now that the crowds have started to dwindle, I'm waiting for his next idea on how to make money. I'm hoping he doesn't start offering boat rides to visit her grave on the island. For some reason, that popped into my head--and I put nothing past this man!

I found it so interesting she had to have a light on when she was sleeping and would often keep the TV on till she fell asleep. I wonder why she was so afraid of the dark? She was fearful of things like that but went jogging under the cover of night in not always the safest neighborhoods and was totally fearless about that! It's as if she was more afraid in her own home then elsewhere....... I've also read there was no one in the house at night when the boys weren't home. Wouldn't you think there would be a guard or someone about? I know there were some in the booth outside the Palace; I just think there would be more inside. Then again, that disturbed man did get into the Queen's bedroom years ago......

Very good post Maryshawn!

Thanks for the link, Squidgy. Yes, I see now that it definitely is the same tiara... only it looks so huge on her head as she's so much smaller than Diana!

foxy_digitalis said:
Thanks for the link, Squidgy. Yes, I see now that it definitely is the same tiara... only it looks so huge on her head as she's so much smaller than Diana!

Not only smaller in height, but Victoria was suffering from anorexia before and during her marriage to Earl Spencer. Victoria has my utmost sympathy for what she had to put up with in that man. I believe Diana was kind to Victoria, understanding her plight all to well within her family and the Royal Family.

Back
Top Bottom