The Late Princess of Wales' Likes and Dislikes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to both Burrell in his book and Andrew Morton's Diana:In Pursuit of Love the last time Diana spoke with her mother was when Frances called (rather drunk at the time) and called Diana names for her choice in companions. Frances denies she was drunk but admits that Diana never took another one of her calls and returned her letters unopened.

dakodas said:
She spoke with him. He spoke of her on his show.
I apologize for this statement. What I meant was that when Maria and Paul Burrell were on Larry King, Larry asked what Diana's favorite perfume was and Paul said it was Hermes.

Last edited:
I found it interesting in his book and/or some articles in 'Hello,' Paul said one of the first things he did after learning of the Princess' death was go to her bedroom and lock up her jewelry and other possessions of value and then cleaned up her dressing table. I remember quite specifically--because I made a point of trying some at a store--that he said he carefully cleaned up her makeup and made sure all the tops of her perfume bottles were put on properly, particularly her hermes and rue de fauburg (sp?). I just was wondering what was going through his head that he would run to her room and tidy up her dressing table. Locking her jewels, I could see. But worrying about her perfumes and makeup seemed odd. He didn't go through her closet looking for a suitable dress; instead he was playing around with her dressing table things.....Seemed strange.

dakodas said:
I apologize for this statement. What I meant was taht when Maria and Paul Burrell were on Larry King, Larry asked what Diana's favorite perfume was and Paul said it was Hermes.

I read that, too, and some other reporter who lived near Frances thought it was a "bit of a lark" to call Frances in the evening "after she'd had a few drinks," then ask her questions. I don't know if his name was mentioned; I'l look again but that's just so cruel. He said "well, I'm not sure if she had a problem but it was 'fun' to get her on the telephone after dinner and listen to what she had to say about her daughter and the family." :(

dakodas said:
According to both Burrell in his book and Andrew Morton's Diana:In Pursuit of Love the last time Diana spoke with her mother was when Frances called (rather drunk at the time) and called Diana names for her choice in companions. Frances denies she was drunk but admits that Diana never took another one of her calls and returned her letters unopened.

maryshawn said:
I found it interesting in his book and/or some articles in 'Hello,' Paul said one of the first things he did after learning of the Princess' death was go to her bedroom and lock up her jewelry and other possessions of value and then cleaned up her dressing table. I remember quite specifically--because I made a point of trying some at a store--that he said he carefully cleaned up her makeup and made sure all the tops of her perfume bottles were put on properly, particularly her hermes and rue de fauburg (sp?). I just was wondering what was going through his head that he would run to her room and tidy up her dressing table. Locking her jewels, I could see. But worrying about her perfumes and makeup seemed odd. He didn't go through her closet looking for a suitable dress; instead he was playing around with her dressing table things.....Seemed strange.
Well, hate to post in support of Paul but what we do in moments of grief and shock often have no reason. I have the same name as my grandmother. When my grandfather died, I was accidentally notified first after the doctor verified my name on the phone. I started boiling pasta. I wasn't able to contact anyone because they were all on the way to hospital already. This was before the days of common cell phones. So I cooked. I started making casseroles.

True, we all cope with grief differently. Perhaps he was just reverting to being protective and not wanting anything of Diana's to be seen at less than its best.

dakodas said:
Well, hate to post in support of Paul but what we do in moments of grief and shock often have no reason. I have the same name as my grandmother. When my grandfather died, I was accidentally notified first after the doctor verified my name on the phone. I started boiling pasta. I wasn't able to contact anyone because they were all on the way to hospital already. This was before the days of common cell phones. So I cooked. I started making casseroles.

maryshawn said:
What I just don't understand is how the two could be so close (and Diana had a close relationship with Victoria Lockwood, as well), having endured so much together--and then this rift occured. I don't think I've ever heard him explain why he thought the rift occured or at whose behest.

I'm not a big fan of Diana's brother (I'm an admirer of his late sister though) but with all due respect, he doesn't owe anyone any explanation as to why there was a rift at the end, now does he? It's an entirely private matter, if you'd ask me.

My 2 cents on all the Spencer siblings is that they just seem very hot-headed (albeit warm-hearted) individuals who are prone to reacting emotionally strongly & taking spontaneous actions/decisions, with good and less-well-received results..

ysbel said:
Normally, I don't mind the family coming into some good luck when one of their own makes good but several people close to the Spencers said that her father distrusted the marriage and warned Diana against it. Its hard to reconcile that image with that of the Earl in early interviews who bragged of his daughter's suitability for the role because she 'had never had a lover' and mused about Charles asking his permission saying playfully, 'I wonder what he would have done if I had said no' It seemed he was pushing his daughter to the world as perfect princess material while at the same time privately having grave doubts of how the marriage would turn out. It did look that they were pushing Diana to the fore to make themselves look good and I think that was just irresponsible.
I see what you're saying but I think it's perfectly normal for a father who may have his private doubts about the suitability of a marriage of one of his children, to publicly come to the rescue of, or publicly defend and support and speak well of, a daughter. I think that is even commendable. I don't think he was per se pushing his daughter forward as a candidate so much as he was publicly supporting her: what good parent would NOT do that?

And whatever Diana's father's private thoughts were regarding his daughter's suitability and eventually marriage, the late earl Spencer was a proven loving parent. It is thanks to him that there is so much footage on film and in photographs of the Spencer siblings, and thus of Diana, of their childhood years. I have watched some of the films he shot of his kids and these films just ooze fatherly love: the love of the person behind the camera for his subjects, his kids, is just palpable.

Even though she seemed to prefer Fogal tights, I think in general she disliked wearing tights or pantyhose. There are quite a few photos of her with dresses on and no hose. For example, I saw one from Feb. 1982, where she has on the fuschia pink winter coat (w/pom pom ties at neck) and a hat, and she has bare legs.

From a book I have Diana also loved frogs and she had a frog theme in her homes.

Lady Jean said:
There are quite a few photos of her with dresses on and no hose. For example, I saw one from Feb. 1982, where she has on the fuschia pink winter coat (w/pom pom ties at neck) and a hat, and she has bare legs.
There were a lot more photos in later years, especially during the summer, or travelling to warm climates, she went without hoses. Often showing off a good tan.

kerry said:
I don't know if the earl was misquoted or not but you do bring up a valid point concerning business as usual at Althrop. Maybe the shrine isn't losing money. How is the earl's furniture collection doing? These are issues that make you go "hmm?".
From what I've read here and some other articles in well known papers (don't remember the names right now) but just last year some time, the Earl was planning on opening up Althorp for weddings, and large convention type groups, but he was mostly focusing on weddings. If I remember correctly, he did say the the Diana Memorial or shrine was loosing money and that he planned on loaning it out as a traveling memorial of her, and that the general upkeep of Althorpe was very expensive, which is why he was doing these things. They even had a picture of a roped off area with a marbel shrine with a bench and at the top of the shrine it had Diana written on it. The caption for the picture said that the wedding party would be allowed to take pictures in that area.
Whatever his reasons are for doing this, I find everything this man does as well as the man himself, very distastful. If he wanted to market his house, his furniture, and whatever else he has, he could have gone about it in a different manner if he was a professonal business man that he claims to be, or should I say, "portrays" himself to be.
He is in it for the money and what he can milk out of it by using his sisters name and that's it. He is just money hungry. I'm sure if Diana had not been his sister, he would probably not be vesting himself in these so called business ventures.

Not to argue, but Althorp was open to the public for many years before the current Earl inherited it, as a historic home. The upkeep on that size of an estate must be tremendous.

People want to visit Althorp to pay tribute to Diana. If the Earl had refused, that would have sparked another type of bad press. I'm no fan of his, but it seems that he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

I haven't been to Althorp, but have seen enough pictures of the exhibits there to know it is tastefully done, and extensive. If he is cashing in on his sister's popularity, then, at least, he is allowing people to pay tribute to her in an attractive setting, and he tries to give them some value for their money. It's not as if, in visiting Althorp, people are only given a short glimpse of the Island and a couple of tacky items on display.

Lady Jean said:
Even though she seemed to prefer Fogal tights, I think in general she disliked wearing tights or pantyhose. There are quite a few photos of her with dresses on and no hose. For example, I saw one from Feb. 1982, where she has on the fuschia pink winter coat (w/pom pom ties at neck) and a hat, and she has bare legs.

...for sure, but there are also so many pictures on many different appearances where Diana wore pantyhose...so i don´t think she disliked hosiery

Lady Jean said:
Is this the engagement you are refering to Lady Jean? I never realized that she was NOT wearing tights, but now that I look closer, I think you are right.:)

Photo: T Graham

When she was pregnant with William, she was also "caught" wearing knee highs on a few occasions. I'm sure they were much more comfortable for her ...

Photo: J. Fincher

Last edited:
heyy..im new to this forum..i am looking for pictures of Princess Diana and Dodi..can someone plz put them up..thanks

PDfan said:
heyy..im new to this forum..i am looking for pictures of Princess Diana and Dodi..can someone plz put them up..thanks
first welcome! look in princess diana photo thread I and II:)

Some questions

Hi all. I remember I read that Diana had to open light, and sometime even tv to fall asleep. And she sometime heared musics very loudly and noisily. Have anyone of you heard of these stories? and where are these things mentioned? Thank you very much. :)

anbrida said:
Hi all. I remember I read that Diana had to open light, and sometime even tv to fall asleep. And she sometime heared musics very loudly and noisily. Have anyone of you heard of these stories? and where are these things mentioned? Thank you very much. :)

i read these things in Burrell's book.

No, he certainly doesn't owe anyone anything. In the past though he was quite outspoken about his sister; one of the reasons I think NBC hired him for awhile as a correspondent. Agree 100% about the hot-headed Spencer kids!!!!

princess olga said:
I'm not a big fan of Diana's brother (I'm an admirer of his late sister though) but with all due respect, he doesn't owe anyone any explanation as to why there was a rift at the end, now does he? It's an entirely private matter, if you'd ask me.

My 2 cents on all the Spencer siblings is that they just seem very hot-headed (albeit warm-hearted) individuals who are prone to reacting emotionally strongly & taking spontaneous actions/decisions, with good and less-well-received results..

She also had a tanning bed in her suite and used it regularly. I find this a bit interesting as she was so conscious of her looks and those beds, in addition to the exposure to the sun, can fry your skin and lead to premature wrinkling.:confused:

Incas said:
There were a lot more photos in later years, especially during the summer, or travelling to warm climates, she went without hoses. Often showing off a good tan.

Earl Spencer's father would agree with you 100%. He said it was very, very costly to maintain and that was one of the reasons he sold off some portraits--much to the dismay of his children. Turned into quite a family fracas and the Earl ended up saying publicly his children were "'too immature to realize how much it costs to keep Althorp running.

I guess some of the raised eyebrows on what the current Earl did/is doing with the Diana memorial and other things is that he was so concerned about crowds and media converging on Althorp he took back his promise to allow P Diana to stay in a cottage on the estate. Many said she was devastated by this decision. So the expected crowds weren't acceptable when she was alive but are now? It's definitely helped him keep up the estate and that's a good thing but there does seem to be something a bit disingeuous about Diana's brother's "take" on the "I don't want crowds here" statements he used to keep his sister from using a cottage there. I find it a bit odd.

sassie said:
Not to argue, but Althorp was open to the public for many years before the current Earl inherited it, as a historic home. The upkeep on that size of an estate must be tremendous.

People want to visit Althorp to pay tribute to Diana. If the Earl had refused, that would have sparked another type of bad press. I'm no fan of his, but it seems that he is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

I haven't been to Althorp, but have seen enough pictures of the exhibits there to know it is tastefully done, and extensive. If he is cashing in on his sister's popularity, then, at least, he is allowing people to pay tribute to her in an attractive setting, and he tries to give them some value for their money. It's not as if, in visiting Althorp, people are only given a short glimpse of the Island and a couple of tacky items on display.

Diana's Likes:
1) She liked tanning
2) Perrier water
3) Muesli,Coffee the occasional croissant
4) Face masks mainly avocado ones
5) Disney songs
6) I Will Always love you by Whitney Houston
7) Being active
8) Her favourtie movie was the English Patient
9) Ohter favourites were Brief Encounter, Ghost, Silk Stockings, Top Hat, Carousel, South Pacific...
10) Ballet, swimming, tennis, piano, jazz, tap, playning wiht her kids,
11)Cartoons, she used to hang them up in her bathroom
12)Henry Reindel, she loved how he painted ballerinas

Diana's Dislikes
1)hated the name Di
2)Corgis
3)She hated the dark

In several of the photographs taken in Diana's sitting room, she also had an exquisite ballerina portrait by Edgar Degas hanging on her wall. I don't know if it was one she bought or borrowed from the Royal Collection, but it was beautiful.

There's a well known photograph of her, sitting on her peach and white striped sofa, wearing a red turtleneck sweater, and the Degas is visible on the wall just behind her.

Diana also loved things that were unexplainable in a way. She realy liked psychics and mediums. She also enjoyed burning incense in her home when she was dating Hasnat Khan. In Paul Burrell's book it said that she also loved her ballet pointe shoes she kept them on the back of her bedroom door.

maryshawn said:
I guess some of the raised eyebrows on what the current Earl did/is doing with the Diana memorial and other things is that he was so concerned about crowds and media converging on Althorp he took back his promise to allow P Diana to stay in a cottage on the estate. Many said she was devastated by this decision. So the expected crowds weren't acceptable when she was alive but are now? It's definitely helped him keep up the estate and that's a good thing but there does seem to be something a bit disingeuous about Diana's brother's "take" on the "I don't want crowds here" statements he used to keep his sister from using a cottage there. I find it a bit odd.
But, perhaps, Earl Spencer regrets his refusal to allow Diana a cottage on the estate, and, since allowing her burial on the Oval and building this tasteful musuem is all that he has left to give to her, he is doing it the best way he can.

So many of us, when a loved one dies suddenly, have said we wished we had done this or that differently. It's highly likely that is how the Earl felt about Diana as well.

Why would any one believe the words of an energy healer?

Diana likes: She loved listening to music and always listened to Disney songs in the car like "A Whole new world" from "Aladdin" and Beauty and the Beast." She loved tennis and was an avid sun worshipper. She did very good impersonations of The Muppet Miss Piggy and The Queen. Her favourite ballet dancers were Mikhail Baryshnikov and Dame Margot Fonteyn. She also enjoyed jazz and tap dancing. She also enjoyed watching children do ballet performance rehearsals and talked to them about their pleasures and problems.

I know that she liked to rise early and also go to bed early. Her favorite meal of the day was breakfast. She also like to watch the odd soap opera. She also liked to write thank you notes as soon as she came in from a dinner or received a gift, something she learned from her father and also taught her sons.

Lily

Trudie said:
Why would any one believe the words of an energy healer?

I agree, but I had a wonderful friend, who was very bright, but put great faith into such things. Who knows, why people believe this or that.

Back
Top Bottom