The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News & Questions Thread 8: June 2008- 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not furious or outraged or any of those often-used adjectives, but I do think that it's in bad taste to make fun of the way a person died.:flowers:

I find any type of poking fun at someone's death corny and desperate.. The writer's couldn't think of something original?

I'm not furious or outraged or any of those often-used adjectives, but I do think that it's in bad taste to make fun of the way a person died.:flowers:

Cashing in on Diana, Princess of Wales again.:nonono:

I'm not furious or outraged either. I'm a bit dissapointed in Channel 4, I have always been a big fan of British Comedy, but if they're going to start poking fun at people's deaths then it is no longer worth enjoying to me.

i'm not sure how anyone could find the death of any person, even remotely humourous?

This statement from the above article, is I believe, incorrect
She went as far as going against the Queen to help others,
:nonono:

Yes I believe its incorrect to. Her Majesty has supported many charites and would never imo object to anyone helping those who are less fortunate.

Bill Clinton, President, left office in January 2001. The Bill Clinton Foundation received money from the Diana Memorial Fund in 2005 to support HIV aid work in Africa.
Why would Diana's supporters be "shocked", as the Mail claims? Did the newspaper conduct a survey?

. . . . . Why would Diana's supporters be "shocked", as the Mail claims? Did the newspaper conduct a survey?
The answer lies in the question. The Mail! It is what it is, and is noted for it's economical use of the truth.

As for conducting a survey? Since a "survey" can be made to say exactly what you want it to say by phrasing the questions in a particular way, it is my guess that the Mail just shortcut the usual route and published the "results" with none of the bother or expense of an actual survey. :lol:

Bill Clinton, President, left office in January 2001. The Bill Clinton Foundation received money from the Diana Memorial Fund in 2005 to support HIV aid work in Africa.
Why would Diana's supporters be "shocked", as the Mail claims? Did the newspaper conduct a survey?
Warren, I thought that that was to support his library and not the foundation.
So is the Late Princesses foundation just a money gathering source to distribute to other tax free entities?? I would hope that her sons would want to work with the foundation not only to raise money but to get into the trenches and make a difference like Diana did.

The very last paragraph of the Mail's story tells where the money went (HIV aid work in Africa).
Putting the facts at the end of a story is a tactic used to disguise the spurious and misleading nature of the headline and opening paragraph.

So is the Late Princesses foundation just a money gathering source to distribute to other tax free entities?? I would hope that her sons would want to work with the foundation not only to raise money but to get into the trenches and make a difference like Diana did.

The Diana Memorial Fund isn't a money gathering source, nor does it fundraise. It's being wound down with the idea that all its money be distributed. The Fund lost a great deal of money over a court case with the Franklin Mint over their use of Diana's image, all the money that they were distributing was frozen. Eventually it was agreed that the Fund be wound down and the funds were made available again. I don't know what the timeline is for when the fund will cease.

Diana never set up any fund, organisation or charity when she was alive, so getting down in the trenches in her case was more of a photo opportunity that any real work "in the trenches". Anne is far more the practical hands on charity worker who has set up her own organisations. The Princess Royal Trust for Carers is totally Anne's initiative and idea.

Thanks Charlotte and Warren for clairifications. :flowers:
I agree that TPR, Anne, is the one who gets the hands on, but didn't Diana want her sons to get in the trenches as well? If not, wouldn't the world be a much better place if everyone did??
(Cue the Christmas music. . . .)

In order to state this as a fact, a person would have to be able to read Diana's mind. AFAIK that's impossible. There were many stories that came out after her death of kindnesses that she performed that were not known about at the time. The book put out by the Memorial Fund is full of these stories by unknown people who kept their stories to themselves until after the Princess died.

Diana was a deeply troubled woman, but she did seem to care and want to make a difference in her own way.

so getting down in the trenches in her case was more of a photo opportunity that any real work "in the trenches".

That book on Diana, Princess of Wales by the Memorial Fund was very nice tribute to her. Princess Diana did make a difference in the Whole World in her own way. You are right about that Mermaid.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its ridiculous that Diana is being blamed for how William and Harry are acting now as adults.. The Princess has been dead for almost 12 years and the boys were 15 and 12 at the time.

Exactly and it's not as if they've been doing anything out of the ordinary that people they're age haven't done, whether they're royalty or not we all make mistakes it's hardly fair to blame Diana for this, she probably would have understood,in the sense that we know she wasn't perfect either.

Its ridiculous that Diana is being blamed for how William and Harry are acting now as adults.. The Princess has been dead for almost 12 years and the boys were 15 and 12 at the time.

The Windsors have had the boys almost eleven more years to shape them into royalty. Diana, Princess of Wales really did give them each over to school at seven. I think Prince Charles had a say about what school they would go to he hated the one he went to.

But to blame only Diana like the above article says is ridiculous. I agree with you sirhon.;)

Sounds like a republican writer who was rather pissed that Diana didn't take the groundswell of public affection and use it to topple over the monarchy. I always suspected that some of the media that seemed so supportive of Diana were not so supportive of Diana herself but were rather using her popularity to try and weaken the monarchy.

So Harry and William are acting like a lot of the guys that graduate from Eton; is that so unnormal? And Charles and Diana both agreed on the boys' schooling. Charles hated Gordonstoun which was considered quite novel and unlike a normal uppercrust education when Charles went there. Eton was historically the most prestigious school for the uppercrust.

In fact I remember reading that the conditions at Gordonstoun were quite spartan and harsh and the students there were not pampered.

But the writer does makes a small valid point; Diana was a product of the aristocratic class; she may have wanted to be more 'of the people' but she never in her short life had to worry about where her next meal was coming from or whether she would have a roof over her head, she never had the anxiety of having too many bills to pay at the end of the month and not enough in her account to cover them. These aren't just the concerns of the dirt poor; the working middle class has to worry about them when the economy goes back or they lose their jobs.

There was a limit to how 'of the people' she could become. She had believed in the institution of royalty when she married which meant that she had accepted even without realizing it at least some of the norms of the society.

I think it is hardly fair to blame Diana for Harry's misbehavior. Both the Windsors and Spencers have managed to produce "twits" in recent generations, and it seems to me that it's been the Windsors mostly in control of these young men for the last dozen years.

But I still think Harry is maturing and will become a credit to his country. Let's be honest, young people tend to be shallow and selfish. Hopefully they will grow out of it, although some of us never "grow up." I'm still growing at mid-life!

There is a part of the coastal road near where I live in Portugal that was given, at about the time of her death, the name of "Diana, Princess of Wales" I have often wondered why, does anyone know if she ever visited Portugal and if so what the occasion was?

In reply to Menarue question: "...does anyone know is she ever visited Portugal?":

Yes, Princess Diana was once at an official visit to Portugal. And i remeber the news on papers related saying that it was on their visit to our contry that the problems on their marriage started to show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see why it's such a big deal to keep these letters secret but okay.
I suppose it depends what is in them, whatever it is, it can not be as bad as some might now imagine.:flowers:

Thanks Antonieta, I was wondering if it was just in the aftermath of all that hysteria following her death, in fact it still might be but it is a nice name for a very small part of the road. .:flowers:

The Prince and Princess of Wales visited Portugal in February 1987. The occasion was to celebrate the few-hundred-years alliance between Portugal and England. I know that they were in Lisbon, but I don't remember whether they visited anywhere else in the country.

Diana wore an above-the-knee skirt on one of her first occasions.

There is a part of the coastal road near where I live in Portugal that was given, at about the time of her death, the name of "Diana, Princess of Wales" I have often wondered why, does anyone know if she ever visited Portugal and if so what the occasion was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom