The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News & Questions Thread 8: June 2008- 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, she did like sun and sea, and that usually takes its toll.

But of course no one knows.
Yes, even the most dedicated of celebrity sun worshippers don't look that wrinkled and drab.
Ellen Barkin:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...TcwMTMxNDkxMw@@._V1._SY209_CR4,0,140,209_.jpg
Elizabeth
Perkins:http://img4.bdbphotos.com/images/230x300/c/2/c22gezlkr89ukzrl.jpg?skj2io4l
Sela Ward:https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-9e15a7620beafdbb8564f86dafc141cc-c?convert_to_webp=true
Dana Delany:https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-755eb9e0f2a240ecba2501f9c9864355-c?convert_to_webp=true
Christy Brinkley:https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-bb9a165da8981f975c8fb7ff67aa0e42?convert_to_webp=true
Susan Sarandon:https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e65e672977991ee0ff3a521ca40fd8cf-c?convert_to_webp=true

And one big fat lie! But Ephraim Hardcastle has never been known for either truth or accuracy, especially when discussing Diana and Camilla.

Camilla is the Princess of Wales, but out of respect for Diana she has adopted the feminine form of her husband's highest-ranking subsidiary title, that of the Duchess of Cornwall. However, in Scotland, Diana was and Camilla is known as the Duchesss of Rothersay.

Last edited:
I liked Diana a lot, but I do wish people would cut Camilla some slack. She has not put a foot wrong as Duchess of Cornwall even though legally and technically and in every other way she is de facto Princess of Wales.

She has shone light and worked hard on some incredible causes like osteoporosis, sexual assault survivors, and shelter pets who need homes. I love her for that alone.

Diana is gone(sadly) and will never come back. Camilla will be queen and that's the end of it, imo.

The Daily Fail is shameless.:bang:

Kensington Palace to host new exhibition on Diana, Princess of Wales – Royal Central

"An intimate glimpse into Princess Diana's thoughts after landmark moments - such as her wedding to Prince Charles, and Prince William's birth - are going up for auction.
Writing to personal secretary Jane Parsons, she revealed that that their honeymoon as a 'perfect opportunity to catch up on some sleep' and that 24,000 letters of thanks had to be sent out after William was born.
The collection is expected to cause a flurry of interest when it goes under the hammer at Stroud Auction Rooms next month."

"Princess Diana will be used as a role model for schoolchildren in lessons on how to overcome mental health problems.
Diana, who died almost 20 years ago, talked about her experience of depression, the eating disorder bulimia and self-harming in her 1995 Panorama interview."

"Rarely-seen photos of Princess Diana show the late royal in some of her most carefree and uninhibited moments ever."

Princess Diana at Her Most Unguarded in 5 Rarely-Seen Photos

Find out who Princess Diana really wanted to dance with instead of John Travolta

Find out who Princess Diana really wanted to dance with instead of John Travolta

A candid letter written by the Prince of Wales days after his separation from Princess Diana is to be auctioned off.

Charles and Diana letters to be auctioned off - BBC News

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prince of Wales told his story to Jonathan Dimbleby and gave him access to his friends and correspondence. Other than that, the closest we get is when friends or courtiers are permitted to give interviews. The Queen's side of the story likely won't be told until many years after she's gone and official papers can be released.

I'm pretty sure there's another side to the story (there always is), but i don't think the UK royals will ever let their side get into public media, so we'll never know the complete truth :flowers:

I'm pretty sure there's another side to the story (there always is), but i don't think the UK royals will ever let their side get into public media, so we'll never know the complete truth :flowers:

From a personal perspective, this letter that shows Diana's feelings of isolation actually aren't that unique. When there is a crumbling marriage, separation and then divorce, the deep rooted feelings of isolation are very common as one faces the whole new transition from being part of a married couple back to being a lone, single figure once again. Relationships that were part of the marriage with the extended family are broken, camps are formed between friends who are either his friends or her friends and if there are children, it'd be his time with them and her time with them and the closeness of a united family blows away in the wind.

The feelings of loneliness and isolation can and do take a center stage sometimes. Just as when first married, adapting to being an "us" instead of a "me", adjusting to once again being a solitary "me" in the scheme of things takes time and adjusting also. I'd have been more surprised if Diana hadn't felt the way she did.

So I hope that the people that continually say no cares about her anymore are paying attention

Nobody says No One cares. Simply that it's fading. And that's reality. There are a lot if middle aged and older people who will remember her fondly and want to see this. Or simply tourists who see this as something like going to madam Tuesseau. The reality is there us a whole generation of people who never knew her and those numbers increase. It's a royal exhibit, that draws attention.

I remember all the talk a couple of years after Diana's death that the Royal Family would try to "erase Diana from history." It hasn't happened. I didn't think that it would. :flowers:

So I hope that the people that continually say no cares about her anymore are paying attention

I don't think they exactly bust a gut to keep her memory alive though.

I don't think they exactly bust a gut to keep her memory alive though.

Although Diana still sells to a certain audience, the honest truth is that she has been dead for twenty years and there just isn't any real point. Her 'achievements' were actually pretty nebulous and in many cases didn't outlast her or were not hers in the first place.

Why do we need to in the first place? Yes she was an important figure in popular culture and she is for good or ill the mother of the man who will be king. William and Harry, along with I hope her birth family all commerate her, but given that these often become an excuse to flay Charles and Camilla alive in public (remember the 2007 memorial - what the press did to Camilla over that was really immature and vile), I can see why the RF may not be keen to relive one of their more traumatic experiences. We dont have commerations of the abdication so why this?

I don't think its incumbent on either the RF or the British Goverment to lead any sort of public memorial - if members of the public want to than that's fine. Besides if Theresa May was involved i get the feeling that she would try and use any commerations to boost the governments popularity a la Blair in 1997. I don't think W&H or the RF at large would approve of that.

However, it is only March, maybe there'll be commerations closer to the actual anniversary in August/September.

I remember all the talk a couple of years after Diana's death that the Royal Family would try to "erase Diana from history." It hasn't happened. I didn't think that it would. :flowers:

I can't stand it when people go on about the RF "Trying to write Diana out of history" as its just wrong and the fact we're still discussing her on our cozy little corner of the internet suggests to me that if that was their aim, they've done a pretty bad job of it. This isn't Ancient Rome or the USSR under Stalin. Damnatio Memoriae isn't possible and somthing as nebulous and complex as the "Diana Phenomenon" can't be judged as being wholly good or wholly bad and thus deserving of commerations on that basis. Such talk was always paranoid and silly, the Queen probably didn't have anything more to say as there wasn't anything more to say. Silence isn't always tacit disapproval - sometimes its because they genuinely don't know what to say. But it interesting as it meant that Diana could be co-opted by those who wanted to critique the RF and the monarchy as an institution (I think I may have said this before) as the RF esp Charles lost control of the media narrative - somthing Diana herself made happen while she was still alive. I think this was to some extent a mistake as it allowed for their critics to keep peddling mud about them using the late Diana as a means to do so.

Or maybe I've been co-opted by the lizard people - make up your own minds....

If you are going to shape shift, Laurels, you couldn't sun yourself as a lizard on a sunny rock in Jamaica could you, and give us a report on a certain wedding, a certain guest...? Only if you have the time of course! :lol:

I remember that too and I thought and still do, that it was mean spirited and cruel of the press to carry on like that. I don't claim, by any means to know the British Royal Family, but for them to plot to erase Diana from history was to portray them as cold and merciless. To erase her from history? How stupid, the Royals knew how popular she was and how were they to go about doing it? We all are very aware that Diana was, at times, a royal pain in the neck, pun intended. For the press to imply that the Royals breathed a big sigh of relief at her death was horrible, not to mention her sons were the Queen and Philip's grandsons. They would have to have been very, very cruel and heartless to feel that way. That's how the press portrayed them because it sold papers. I felt then and still feel now for William and Harry because of the press stories and how they may have affected them. Children shouldn't have to face those thing.
I have rather dreaded this year just because of the tabloids especially dragging up the Diana stories and trashing the Royal Family especially Charles and Camilla. Then there's Richard Kay at the DM with his stories of his BFF Diana and the sob stories she would tell him. It's ironic because if Diana and Charles would have been able to make a success of their marriage, Diana wouldn't have give Richard Kay the time of day.

I remember that too and I thought and still do, that it was mean spirited and cruel of the press to carry on like that. I don't claim, by any means to know the British Royal Family, but for them to plot to erase Diana from history was to portray them as cold and merciless. To erase her from history? How stupid, the Royals knew how popular she was and how were they to go about doing it? We all are very aware that Diana was, at times, a royal pain in the neck, pun intended. For the press to imply that the Royals breathed a big sigh of relief at her death was horrible, not to mention her sons were the Queen and Philip's grandsons. ay.
They may not have breathed a sigh of relief, but it is IMO manifestly obvious that they weren't deeply grieved.
Charles was, I tink and of course so were Will and harry but the rest of the RF, had long since written Diana off and just hoped that she would gradually disappear off the public stage and bore the public so much that she would not be in the papers ny more.
They don't "wipe her out of royal history" because she is still very popular and she draws tourists to the royal palaces etc. But I think it is quite obvious that they think she was a dreadful mistake to have had as a princess and wish that she hadn't been Charles' wife.

So many of her letters going on sale lately,...

Bad economies everywhere. No time to be sentimental (perhaps). :ermm:
I should imagine that in most cases the people selling these letters were not the original recipients. To the recipients they were probably treasured memories but, to their heirs, they are just simply treasure!

still not exactly admirable behaviour. Why not give tehm to the Spencer family, or to Will and Harry?

Leave it to the writers to focus on sex abd the city :whistling: You know ignoring the obvious fact Mikhail is one of the most famous male ballet dancers of his time. And Diaba who was passionate about ballet, would be no shock she would wish to meet him.

I recall reading that too that Diana greatly admired Baryshnikov and his work with the Russian ballet. Seeing as Diana did, at one time, take the stage dance with Wayne Sleep to Billie Joel's song, "Uptown Girl" at the Friends of Covent Garden Christmas Party and had been fond of the ballet since childhood, I don't find anything "scandalous" about her wishing to dance with Baryshninov at all.

One thing that gets me about documentaries and books about Diana is that so many paint their own picture of Diana. The "good" Diana, the "bad" Diana and the "ugly" Diana. In order to really understand the person Diana was, an objective view of all facets of Diana need to be presented.

Just my opinion.

There should be a law banning the sale of personal letters, particularly those of deceased persons who cannot react, or at least a serious enough time lapse after which only the most avid collector will be interested enough to come up with the cash!

We all know, or should know the perils of the internet, the written letter however was meant for the receiver alone. True, there was always the prospect they could fall into greedy hands, but then again not something really thought about at the time.

I know letters have been invaluable in tracing history, however personal letters on personal feelings are another matter and should be left just that, personal.

Another upset for Charles to face, years after penning the words.

He should have been careful what he wrote down or advised whoever he was writing to, to destroy the letter after reading.

In 1991, few people knew the truth about Princess Diana’s marriage: that it was falling apart... and that Charles had rekindled his relationship with Camilla Parker Bowles.
Devastated, she decided to make her side of the story public by recording her thoughts for author Andrew Morton via a go-between. Her one condition: that her involvement be kept a strict secret. The book he wrote — Diana: Her True Story — caused a sensation.
Now, 20 years after her death, it is being republished, with transcripts of those tapes. Our first extract begins with her meeting Charles at her home, Althorp House in Northamptonshire, in November 1977, when she was just 16. He was 29 — and at the time dating her sister Sarah, 22 . . .

How Diana secretly recorded hours of tapes | Daily Mail Online

In a recording sent to journalist Andrew Morton, Princess Diana described how she had a 'filthy row' with Prince Charles over Camilla before they got married.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...eard-Charles-phone-Camilla.html#ixzz4jXpBljqu

In a recording sent to journalist Andrew Morton, Princess Diana described how she was mortified by the reaction to her first public engagement.

Princess Diana's car Audi was sold today at auction for 75.000 pound by an anonymous buyer

Princess Diana's Audi convertible purchased by anonymous buyer - ABC News

Jimmy Choo talks about designing shoes for Princess Diana | Daily Mail Online

Designer Jimmy Choo reveals details of the last pair of shoes he created for Princess Diana

Bicycle used by Princess Diana untl Palace advisors deemed it "unfit for a Princess" go for auction

Princess Diana's old bike could sell for £9,000 auction | Daily Mail Online

A close friend of Princess Diana shares a never before-seen-picture of her.

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...diana-friend-rosa-monckton-shares-rare-photo/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom