The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News & Questions Thread 8: June 2008- 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing about how Diana was too dependent on William especially, I often think she would be a very difficult mother in law, similar to Marie Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond.

Really !!!!! Some silly things sure are said about Diana

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I've never heard that Diana was "too dependent" on William - I have heard that William was quite protective of his mother, but how that translates into her dependence upon him and the assumption that she would one day become be a difficult mother-in-law is beyond me.

Hearing about how Diana was too dependent on William especially, I often think she would be a very difficult mother in law, similar to Marie Barone from Everybody Loves Raymond.

How could Diana be too dependent on William? He was still an adolescent boy when she died.

Diana allegedly had a habit of sharing her troubles through out the War of the Wales with her eldest son. If this is true then IMO William was too young to be in that role.

As for being a difficult mother-in-law, I believe we will never know if that prediction would have come true.

Last edited:
There's so many years between her unfortunate death and her son's engagement/marriage that loads could have happened in these years had she not had the accident and imo it's impossible to judge what kind of mother-in-law she would have been at the time W&K got together

But this is hardly "news", so a bit of a stretch in a thread with this name :flowers:

I've never heard that Diana was "too dependent" on William - I have heard that William was quite protective of his mother, but how that translates into her dependence upon him and the assumption that she would one day become be a difficult mother-in-law is beyond me.

I think she did lean on him a bit, and should have not done so. But older children, where a mother is left alone like that, often end up being "leaned on!". It happens.
She might have been a possessive mother in law but who could say? She might have had other interests by the time Will was getting married.. I think this is just a bashing Diana stick to say this...

Diana allegedly had a habit of sharing her troubles through out the War of the Wales with her eldest son. If this is true then IMO William was too young to be in that role.

As for being a difficult mother-in-law, I believe we will never know if that prediction would have come true.

Yes apparently she also asked his opinion on her men and talked to him about her difficulties during the war, I also recall hearing that she would frequently fire he'd. Children's nannies sh . She thought they were getting to close to them....but I don't know if that is true because I just read that one of their nannies was with them for almost a decade.

She didn't fire his nannies.. she fired ONE, partly because she was somewhat jealous because she hated being away from him, when he was little and I think it hurt her to see him being so close to someone else. But there were other issues.. I think she and the nanny disagreed over discipline, and there were other things as well.. I don't think she exactly fired her - it was Barbara barnes.. but she wanted her to move on.. However as I recall Ms Barnes had been around for some years, and I don't believe that Will was traumatised by this.. He's always remained fond of his nannies and in touch with htem. Seems like while I am wiling to agree that Di did some stupid and selfish things.. so many people seem to be just always ready to criticise her.

She was indeed. Diana was one of a kind. The people around on that day can probably still remember it and her with fondness.

Yes. You don't forget encounters like that.

I think it is no wonder that Diana is still on the top. She did influnce people in many aspects of life, as fashion influence and trend is not only about fashion. Diana was a huge phenomenon herself, and as such, fashion trender could be no other than her imo.

:previous: Yes, I agree. What she wore set trends, from the frilled collars and lambswool sweaters of the Lady Diana days to the simple suits and shift dressed of the 90s. I well remember the flat pumps, the white and cream blouses with different decorations at the neck (ties, cravats, etc.), the dirndl skirts with the short jackets, gradually morphing into the tailored suits and simpler dresses. Hats came back into style for awhile, as did envelope handbags and pearls. Diana's effect on bridal fashion is still in effect, as evidenced in how many brides now wear a tiara, whether real or rhinestone. I think that Diana's various outfits and her metamorphases will be part of fashion and social history for some time to come. Her clothes reflected what was going on in her life, and what a life! :flowers:

yes she made very few dressing mistakes... I loved most of her cltothes.

And, because she was unusually tall, she could wear things most mortals couldn't.

Diana had the ideal body for wearing clothing really, being tall and slender, but she also had a good eye for what suited her. She was happy to take guidance and advice early on but later wasn't afraid to take risks in her fashion choices. I think that's what I liked best about her sense of style.

Diana is simply more recent than Coco Chanel, who had more influence on fashion than Diana or Jackie K, who had more style in her little finger than Diana had in her entire body. She was also way, way more stylish than those from the decades after her death.

Diana really came into her own later in her life when she wore some fabulous and really stylish clothes. Some of her choices at the start of her marriage or during her engagement (ruffled collars, knickerbockers, her wedding dress) were awful. Once she was married, her official wardrobe was much too old for her. That really isn't surprising given that she was finding her own identity in every respect and possibly relying too much on the advice of others who were telling her what a Princess should wear. Once she found her own identity and cut out the frills and ruffles, she could knock it out of the park (the up-yours dress, the way she dressed for the Testino photo shoot for example).

Just my opinion of course.

I've never seen antytign very great about Jackie Kennedy's clothes personally. they just seem dull. Of course Diana was going to wear "clothes that were too old for her" at first, because she had just joined the RF and was trying to work out what she should wear and their taste is naturally conservative.

Last edited:
Ah, Victoria, thank heavens you can't see into some of my old photo albums! I wore and was quite fond of pie crust collar blouses worn with dark brown velvet knickerbockers! Diana popularised those and they became VERY popular. And some of us quite like Diana's wedding dress which, with the long veil, was very suitable for the vastness of St Pauls. What people think stylish and lovely in one decade is regarded as horrendous in the next and laughable by generations following. That's the joy and the fun of fashion!

Last edited:
I think she was trying to look "country girl" like in that sort of outfit. Did they become popular? IM not really into style and fashion, in the present day though I do like to read about the history of clothes.
but I do remember pie crust blouses and long skirts with a petticoat showing beneath them.. I wore a few of them..
I think that they suited Diana when she was v. young, as she grew older, she adapted her wardrobe, wore the simple shifts and little suits.. She was good at recognising when it was time to revamp...

Ah, Victoria, thank heavens you can't see into some of my old photo albums! I wore and was quite fond of pie crust collar blouses worn with dark brown velvet knickerbockers! Diana popularised those and they became VERY popular. And some of us quite like Diana's wedding dress which, with the long veil, was very suitable for the vastness of St Pauls. What, people think stylish and lovely in one decade is regarded as horrendous in the next and laughable by generations following. That's the joy and the fun of fashion!

Oh, I agree and I would hate anyone to see my old photos too. I think Diana's wedding dress was at the extremes in that I think you either loved it or hated it. I don't think it was a dress where there was a shrug of the shoulders and an "it's ok" type reaction. I personally think there was too much going on but then again, I'm a fan of simplicity.

I look back now on the fashions of the 80s (that I wore) and agree with those who said it was the decade that style forgot but I'd rather the big "dynasty" shoulders etc than the fashions of the Kardashians today etc. Like you say though, what one decade is stylish the next most definitely is not.

I think a lot of people would struggle finding their sense of style when they were first thrust into the public eye and the fact that Diana had to do it at the age of 19/20 it's no wonder there were hits and misses. Just for the record, I do think she often looked stylish in the early years of her marriage but, personally, I think it was hit and miss whereas towards the end of her life I think she rarely put a foot wrong.

What people think stylish and lovely in one decade is regarded as horrendous in the next and laughable by generations following. That's the joy and the fun of fashion!

Oh so very true! The 80s is depicted as the decade fashion forgot! No way! We looked great!!

She was only mid 30s when she left us, so I imagine Diana had great fun adjusting to the various fashion trends.

I agree, the engagement suit would have been more suited to someone her mother's age than the teenager she was ...... of course there was the fact that the age gap had to be downsized in some format!

The wedding dress - well she does look beautiful in the pics - but very obviously the fairy tale princess wedding dress of the day a teenager might dream up.

She looked just as photo perfect in jeans baseball cap and sweatshirt as in designer.

I agree that while there was a lot of vulgarity in 80s fashions it was better than the skin tight/too short/too low cut things that seem to have come afterwards. Or the gruesome fashion of skimpy tops that show the stomach, and saggy pants that slither down and show off underwear.
I think that Diana's wedding dress was very suitable for what it was, the dress of a young beautiful girl marrying into a royal family, with a TV ceremony. It had to stand out, for long shots and to have a bit of detail on it for close ups.
My only real beef is that I think she could have worn a bit of jewellery with it, without looking "too fancy". A necklace and maybe a brooch or bracelet...

I particularly remember the knickerbockers because it was my first year of university and I was very aware of what other girls were wearing. The trend didn't last very long, but it was definitely there that winter and spring of 1980/1981.

I think she was trying to look "country girl" like in that sort of outfit. Did they become popular?

I must say I Dotn think I ever saw anyone wearing them.. but the pie crust frill blouses, and the long skirts with petticoats and rathter fussy dresses were around everywhere. I had a Laura AShley for "special events" (I was veyr poor), and loose Indian style dresses were also seen.

I think that would be a lovely, lovely tribute to Diana in what is coming up, the twentieth anniversary of her death. However, I do think a country's airports and public buildings in major cities should be named after prominent local and national identities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom