The Diana Inquest: October 2007 - April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's quite an astute analysis of Harold Abrahams and Dodi Fayed, Ysbel. I hadn't made the connection between the two personalities before.

I must say, though, that I'd not considered Diana being anti-British before. I thought that her concerns about staying in the UK had more to do with the pressure she was under from the media and the Establishment and not because of the British per se.

That's an interesting point, Mermaid. I wonder though whether Dodi was the first one to seethe with resentment against the English establishment rather than his father.

Before Diana, Dodi was best known for producing a remarkable movie, Chariots of Fire, and I find it ironic that the central plot of the movie is how the rage of a well-to-do Jewish athlete towards the exclusiveness of English establishment drives him towards running and an Olympic gold medal. Ben Cross who played the athlete Harold Abrahams has a poignant line in the movie where Abrahams talks about his father. The character says of his father that he idolized the English and the English way of life and brought up his sons to be 100% true Englishmen. But he said,

"This England of his is Christian and Anglo-Saxon and so are her corridors of power, and those who stalk them guard them with jealousy and venom."

In one sense, one can hear Dodi saying that line himself.

Throughout the movie, you can just feel Abrahams resentment of being left out of the inner circle of English society and how he takes pleasure in embarassing the grey suits (old aristocratic heads of Cambridge college artfully played by Sir John Gielgud and another actor) When the heads express dismay that Abrahams has hired an Italian professional trainer, the athlete appears to reassure them. "He's only half Italian" "That's a relief" they said. Then Abraham comes back and says, "The other half is Arab." and he seems to take pleasure in the discomfort in the faces of the old men

I didn't realize it at the time but the movie also paid a supreme insult to the real Lord Lindsay (played by Nigel Havers) whose real name was Lord Burley. The movie starts with a race between Harold Abrahams and Lord Lindsay around the perimeter of the college courtyard. But actually they never raced against each other here. Lord Burley did run the race and won, only the second person in recorded history to do so. The movie made Lord Burley look like a marginal athlete compared to the others but actually this English aristocrat had a better Olympic career than any of them.

Dodi was only the producer but still it seems ironic that this was the movie that he produced when the story of his death almost 20 years later seems inextricably entwined with the story of Diana's revenge against the Royal Family and the British establishment and his father's own resentment as an outsider.

But I wonder if whether Dodi's resentment at first was to his father who sold him a dream of the primacy of the English society and the English way of life only to find, like Harold Abrahams, that the doors kept getting shut on him despite all that his father promised him. And I wonder whether Dodi's growing cynicism caused his father to adopt some cynicism of his own regarding the English. All in all Dodi, Mohammed, and Diana seemed like three people bound together by a mutual anger, resentment and righteous indignation towards the British. This anger may have spurred Harold Abrahams to win a gold medal in the 1924 Olympics but it proved disastrous for Diana and the al-Fayeds.

Mo Fayed believed he could buy affection and his way into anything, IMO. Dodi didn't 'need' or particularly want the approval of the UK, but he seemed to 'need' his fathers approval. Camilla, his sister is a regular at English society events, so that, to me, shows the resentment about 'not being able to belong', is restricted to Fayed senior. :flowers:

What you say makes perfect sense, skydragon, except for the plot of this particular movie which Dodi produced. I don't know, there seemed to be too many coincidences to al-Fayed's actual situation.

It may be a coincidence but if so, it is certainly a striking coincidence.

From what I've read about it, it doesn't sound as though Dodi paid much attention to the movie while he was producing it; he was just playing and dabbling at being a producer while carrying on his normal lifestyle. I think I read that David Puttnam had him thrown off the set once when he showed up the worse for wear from taking drugs.

I have a feeling that whatever anti-British attitudes he might have had would have been much more likely to come from his father than from that movie. I might be doing him an injustice, but I'm not sure that he was astute enough, or involved enough with the movie, to pick up on the connection.

I don't think the establishment would have had a problem with Dodi or lemme re-phrase that I don't think they actually cared or payed attention, I think it was more the general public that was shocked that Diana would go with someone who was classified as "playboy" - those words btw are from something the editors at The Sun once said.

It depends how graciously Diana handled it. Personally I felt she flaunted Dodi as a "Look what I can do" token. If she'd have taken that too far I feel both the establishment and the British people would have seen it as too much to bear.

I think that there are so many red herrings resulting from this Inquest that there's a great danger in overlooking what might be the most influential and damning, in the final analysis.

I've posited, earlier, that if Diana did indeed have a 'great love'at the time of her demise, then it was Dr Hasnat Khan, despite what Mr Fayed has said to the contrary. To my presumed knowledge, the Princess went out of her way to engage with, and support, Dr Khan's interests and work.

To my mind, the most iniquitous suggestion is that the Royal Family, and Prince Charles, especially, objected to the Princess' marrying a Muslim. I think this outrageous, untrue and ultimately, damaging.

There is not, nor has there ever been, any suggestion from Her Majesty nor indeed her Heir, that they dismiss Islam: quite the contrary, in fact. I've heard the Prince of Wales declare that he would much rather be 'Defender of Faith' than 'Defender of the Faith' (which, for those whose history is wonky, was, originally, the Catholic Church). There is every reason to assume that Her Majesty and her son respect, admire, and totally accept legitimate worship emanating from disparate cultures and socieities.

Whereas we may all well gawp and giggle at what else Fayed has said, I think that we should all reflect on his hateful words about alleged animosity towards an English aristocrat and Princess marrying a Muslim. This is what's likely to have a lasting and nasty effect, I think, and I'm sorry for it.

"Mo Fayed believed he could buy affection and his way into anything, IMO. Dodi didn't 'need' or particularly want the approval of the UK, but he seemed to 'need' his fathers approval. Camilla, his sister is a regular at English society events, so that, to me, shows the resentment about 'not being able to belong', is restricted to senior."

It seems that Mr. Fayed senior is a very mentally sick man. I am wondering if he was always perceived this way or if his paranoid, rage filled rantings escalated after 1997? After all, he cannot be the first crook to have sucessfully bribed politicians and still received citizenship. Do those of you who are citizens of the UK believe that he was barred because of his willingness to buy his way in, or because he is so obviously out of touch with reality? I peronally think that he is a very dangerous man. He is so paranoid and angry and he will undoubtedly not be happy with the inquest findings.

I shudder to think what he will do when no doubt, the jury will rule the deaths accidental

He won't shut up now and I doubt he will shut up then. He will have to be cautioned/gagged / maybe even charged which will only enrage him even more , why the heck is he so keen to be a citizen of a country whose monarchy he is determined to drag through the mud?

I'm beginning to think that maybe he has always been a little mentally unstable and Dodi's death tipped him over the edge. It's been 10 years a time frame when most people have worked through their grief and come to a place of acceptance. He is stuck in an early stage of the grief cycle with no idea of how to move forward or even showing signs of wanting to.

And what about his other children, aren't they important to him too? I know about the daughter (half sister or sister of Dodi, am not familiar with Mohammed's marriage/s ) what must she/ they think when their father is so obsessed with the death of their brother?

Maybe he blames himself for their deaths after all Diana was essentially in the care of his security/driver/hotel and this is the only way he can deal with the guilt.......shift it to some-one else

OK am running off at the mouth here, I'm no psychologist so better not even pretend to be, am just floating stuff that is in my head right now

- SNIPPED- To my mind, the most iniquitous suggestion is that the Royal Family, and Prince Charles, especially, objected to the Princess' marrying a Muslim. I think this outrageous, untrue and ultimately, damaging.
It seems to me that Fayed is playing on this suggestion more and more. Most of the people I know that are muslim, laugh it off, nobody objected to Hasnat Khan. Jemima Goldsmith was not ostracised when she converted and married a muslim man. It really wasn't a problem in anyones mind... except Fayeds.

Constantly hearing from Fayed that the reason HE believes Diana & Dodi were killed was because they were muslim, will only 'rally' the people who have chosen to live in the UK but are anti british anyway.

What is amazing, is that you and I agree on this. :flowers:
After all, he cannot be the first crook to have sucessfully bribed politicians and still received citizenship. Do those of you who are citizens of the UK believe that he was barred because of his willingness to buy his way in, or because he is so obviously out of touch with reality? I peronally think that he is a very dangerous man. He is so paranoid and angry and he will undoubtedly not be happy with the inquest findings
:ermm: I think the government knows or has suspicions that will not be made public for some years. He has always been less than honest about where he got his money, with the accusations flying thick and fast. He is alleged to have stolen a number of jewels from the then owner of Harrods. He was arrested and sued for false arrest which he lost! He also settled with Rowlands widow, (without admitting anything).

He has always been refused citizenship because he is considered 'not of good character'.

"Maybe he blames himself for their deaths after all Diana was essentially in the care of his security/driver/hotel and this is the only way he can deal with the guilt.......shift it to some-one else"

Tink - I totally agree with you on this. Although many on this forum are not big fans of the Tina Brown book about Diana, she makes this same arguement. Diana and Dodi died on his watch (Mohammed Al Fayed's) after leaving his hotel, surrounded by his security team - which included a drunk driver- and because of Dodi's own stupidity. This is much too painful for him to admit to himself or others and he has indeed (IMO) tipped into madness.

I saw on Youtube that Paul Burrell has an account. It's called dianasrock and he only has one video, it's just about his past working for the royal family and his close relationship with Diana.

Would we expect anything else from Mr. Burrell?:rolleyes::lol:

I saw on Youtube that Paul Burrell has an account. It's called dianasrock and he only has one video, it's just about his past working for the royal family and his close relationship with Diana.

Hahaha, such a ridiculous username he took ! Why couldn't he choose sobriety for once ... :rolleyes:

Would we expect anything else from Mr. Burrell?:rolleyes::lol:

I actually watched the video, and felt ill. I posted a comment that sums up how the man makes me feel. The fact that he lives thirty minutes away from me makes me want to move far, far away. What a sad little man.

Going back to Mr. Fayed for a second, the thing that I can't understand is he's the one making up all these conspiracy theories and yet at the same time is I think he actually beleives them! That scares me. Does that mean we won't have any transcript from today's hearing?

Does that mean we won't have any transcript from today's hearing?

The inquest isn't due to sit again until Tuesday February 26th.
Neverthless, as far as I know, transcripts will be posted as usual when they do reconvene.

It seems to me that Fayed is playing on this suggestion more and more. Most of the people I know that are muslim, laugh it off, nobody objected to Hasnat Khan. Jemima Goldsmith was not ostracised when she converted and married a muslim man. It really wasn't a problem in anyones mind... except Fayeds.

Constantly hearing from Fayed that the reason HE believes Diana & Dodi were killed was because they were muslim, will only 'rally' the people who have chosen to live in the UK but are anti british anyway.

What is amazing, is that you and I agree on this. :flowers:
:ermm: [/COLOR]I think the government knows or has suspicions that will not be made public for some years. He has always been less than honest about where he got his money, with the accusations flying thick and fast. He is alleged to have stolen a number of jewels from the then owner of Harrods. He was arrested and sued for false arrest which he lost! He also settled with Rowlands widow, (without admitting anything).

He has always been refused citizenship because he is considered 'not of good character'.

Good for you guys! He is such a snake. He doesn't deserve citizenship.

I believe what the bible says and it apply's hear, what was done in the darkness shall be brought into the light. If there was foul play, in time it will be found. And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.

And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.
Most people didn't need a multi million pound inquest to know the truth, that it was a simple car crash and I wouldn't think having 12 strangers tell them what they already knew, will make them free! :rolleyes:

I have been at youtube.com watching all sorts of videos relating to Diana and the inquest. Paul Burrell as "dianasrock" has been making comments on videos concerning his testimony at the inquestand the veracity thereof. He says Diana did harbor a "deep dark secret".

Most people didn't need a multi million pound inquest to know the truth, that it was a simple car crash and I wouldn't think having 12 strangers tell them what they already knew, will make them free! :rolleyes:

Some people will never be free until they hear their suspicion confirmed that Diana was murdered because the royal family was jealous of her and her affair with Dodi. Mohamed Fayed springs to mind as the obvious case.

Some people will never be free until they hear their suspicion confirmed that Diana was murdered because the royal family was jealous of her and her affair with Dodi. Mohamed Fayed springs to mind as the obvious case.
Very, very true! :lol: Unfortunately, Fayed wants a confession preferably signed in blood stating it, as well!

Let's face it, there will always be someone out there be commoner or royal who will always think there was a conspiracy surrounding Princess Diana's death. Someone out there will go to their death bed believing that this was planned and that they both were embarrassments to the crown. All I am saying is that if it was a conspiracy in time it will be brought into the light. And it might not need a half a million pound inquest to figure it out. There is always that one piece of evidence WHEN A CRIME IS COMMITTED that in time is found. It may take years but until the one piece of evidence that proves NOTHING happened and it was a simple DUI car crash then it will continue to be what it is a Tragic Death of Princess Diana.

I will always believe the deaths in the Alma tunnel to be suspicious. I can't imagine a member of the British Royal Family being so emotionally cold to personally "ordering a hit" but I will always be open to the thought that Al-Fayed security was compromised and it might have been by common enemies of both Diana and Al-Fayed, which, ironically, includes members (and very loyal friends) of the Royal Family.

I believe the inquest has been a "farce" with the reluctance of several parties unwilling to testify and that of Paul Burrell compromising the integrity of his own testimony.

Personally, I am left with even more questions than before it began.

Let's face it, there will always be someone out there be commoner or royal who will always think there was a conspiracy surrounding Princess Diana's death. Someone out there will go to their death bed believing that this was planned and that they both were embarrassments to the crown. All I am saying is that if it was a conspiracy in time it will be brought into the light. And it might not need a half a million pound inquest to figure it out. There is always that one piece of evidence WHEN A CRIME IS COMMITTED that in time is found. It may take years but until the one piece of evidence that proves NOTHING happened and it was a simple DUI car crash then it will continue to be what it is a Tragic Death of Princess Diana.

I disagree. Until there is one piece of evidence that proves a conspiracy, it will continue to be the tragic accidental death of Diana. Fayad goofed big time in claiming so many people were involved. That many people could not have possibly kept silent for over 10 years. Someone always talks! It is, quite simply, human nature.

There was no conspiracy, just the mindless ravings of a man grieving for his son. As has been previously pointed out, Diana and Dodi were in a Fayad car, leaving a Fayad hotel, with a Fayad driver and a Fayad secuity guard, implementing a Fayad plan to evade the paps, said plan reported to have been approved by Mo Fayad himself. Perhaps Mo was working for M16?:ohmy:

The man simply cannot accept that he bears at least a portion of the responsibilty for this tragic accident. Instead he makes wild claims (Diana pregnant, engaged to Dodi) and accusations (everyone on the planet including Andnason's (sp?) dog is or was involved in the planning and/or the cover-up). Honestly, I think grief has made him quite mad, if he wasn't already there.

I know that what seems crystal clear to one person is often about as clear as mud to another, and I agree the conspiracy theorists will never accept the death of Diana as a tragic accident. Though how anyone could possibly see it as anything else is beyond me.

Cat

Last edited:
All I am saying is that if it was a conspiracy in time it will be brought into the light. And it might not need a half a million pound inquest to figure it out. There is always that one piece of evidence WHEN A CRIME IS COMMITTED that in time is found. It may take years but until the one piece of evidence that proves NOTHING happened and it was a simple DUI car crash then it will continue to be what it is a Tragic Death of Princess Diana.
If there was anything to 'be brought into the light'(?), I am certain that one of the two full investigations and inquest would have revealed it by now! To believe that someone or something might come to light after a further 10 years is, IMO, unrealistic!

The inquest has cost a lot more than half a million pounds!

Diana inquest bill to cost £10 million - Telegraph

The bill for the investigation into the death of Diana, Princess of Wales will pass £10 million by the end of the inquest - most of it footed by the taxpayer, according to legal sources.

Suspicious Deaths

I am with you on, and I don't believe for one moment the any member of the British royal family ordered their deaths. I to am left with questions as a lot of people are.

You are right both Fayed and the Royal family had enemies and friends, and to watch a former member of the Royal family with Fayed only sickened me. I personally thought if Diana wanted ANOTHER boyfriend she should have picked someone from a european royal house. My God think of the kids if nothing else.

As I have stated "IF" there was a crime committed, in time I have to believe that piece of evidence will come forward. If there was no crime committed I hope that any evidence comes forward to substantiate that it was an accident, so that both of them can rest in peace. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom