The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-27-2018, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Diana discovered the bracelet that Charles was giving to Camilla just before the wedding. She was upset, but actually Chas gave presents to other friends before he married, for some reason. so I don't see that she was likely to clal off the wedding over a bracelet even if she did get upset about it.
and there is certainly a story that toward the end of her marriage, Charles gave Diana soemthing cheap as a present and gave a diamond necklace to Camilla. Is that what you mean?
This is the first I've heard of that story. I was just referring to the incident before the wedding. Can't remember which book it was in (perhaps Steven Berry, the valet) but it was reported that Diana was quite a bit more than upset about the bracelet gift (I believe it was a C&C initials entwined).

Old 02-27-2018, 05:39 AM
Majesty

Towards the end of the marriage there is a story in one of Diana's bios that Charles gave Diana a cheap straw hat with plastic fruit on it for a present, something he had picked up no doubt at a Royal engagement somewhere or other, and at the same time gave Camilla some quite valuable jewellery.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Majesty

Yes I think that both stories are well known and pretty definitely true.. yes Diana was very upset about the bracelet given to Camilla, but Charles DID give gifts to other friends at the time, not just her.
and there is a story that he gave Diana something cheap for a present towards the end of the marriage, but Gave Camilla something valuable.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This is the first I've heard of that story. I was just referring to the incident before the wedding. Can't remember which book it was in (perhaps Steven Berry, the valet) but it was reported that Diana was quite a bit more than upset about the bracelet gift (I believe it was a C&C initials entwined).
And IMO that was in very poor taste on Charle's part. I'd of been pissed.

LaRae
Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
And IMO that was in very poor taste on Charle's part. I'd of been pissed.

LaRae
he sent presents to other friends, not just Camilla. BUt I appreciate that it is upsetting to find an old girlfriend getting a present rather more than his giving presents to other friends. However I was responding to people seemingly suggesting that Diana "should have seen a red light" and that she didn't call off the wedding over this issue.
It was a problem, but IMO it certainly wasn't such a problem that they would have been allowed to call off the wedding. And It might not have been a "red light" that the marriage was starting off badly, depending. Charles might have simply intended it as a farewell gift to a woman he had been deeply involved iwht and loved.. and he and Diana were tehn starting their married life..
Old 02-28-2018, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
First I've heard of it too. Good grief, it's like Chinese whispers. Every distorted story is further distorted by those who "read it somewhere" and dutifully pass it on. 😡
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 AM
Majesty

the story is in Tina Brown's biography of Diana. Why is htat a "distorted story"?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its very possible that I did read about the straw hat thing and its slipped my mind. The memory isn't what it used to be. I wouldn't call it a distorted story either and perhaps I chose the wrong words in stating I'd not heard of it. I'll probably run into the story should there come a time I dig all the Diana books out again and reread them.

I don't find it terrible that Charles skimped on a gift for Diana and put more thought into the one for Camilla at the end of his marriage. It just shows the pecking order of esteem in Charles' mind at the time.

Perhaps the biggest "red light" going into the marriage for Diana was that she actually spent so little time with her husband to be. When she did, a lot of those times did involve the Parker-Bowles and she must have known that they were considered close friends. Who knows? Diana was an enigma unto herself for the most part. We'll never figure her out.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:45 AM
Majesty

well it seems ot me pretty cheap,with all the money he has, that he could not buy Diana a decent gift, however little he cared for her. He could easily have asked an aide to buy something. to give her something cheap and tacky, and give his mistress a diamond necklace may be understandable in one sense but it is bad behaviour.
and if Diana should have realised that she had spent very little time iwht her husband before getting engaged, what about him? Why not blame him for not considering that he had not spent a lot of time with Diana and didn't know her that well...
Old 02-28-2018, 07:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

To me the final straw would of been the entwined C&D present...that suggests something that shouldn't be from a man fixing to marry.

Just another red flag in a line of them. They should of let her call it off when she raised the issue with her sisters.

LaRae
Old 03-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Majesty

It was actually "GF" for Gladys and Fred, I believe, nicknames htat Charles and Cam had for each other. But as I've said, Charles apparently gave gifts to other friends as well as Camilla, at the time of his wedding.. I suppose in the spirit of thanking htem for being his friends and in acknowledgement of the fact that he expected to have less time to spend with tehm when he got married. So it is not IMO the "big awful thing" that Diana later made it out to be.
And they were nto going to let her call it off. and If Charles had goen to the queen to say that he didn't think the marriage was a good idea, and wanted to call it off, I'm sure the queen would have said firmly that it wasn't possible.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Aristocracy

I think it would be a bad thing for a bride to see her husband giving gifts to an ex right before their wedding. To me it was inappropriate. Diana did spend time with Charles during weekends at Balmoral and with the Parker Bowles at their home. I think if Charles and Diana realized this would not work, yes, they could have gone to the Queen and say they wanted to break their engagement and she would then have no choice but to say she would call it off.. The Queen would recall the bad experiences of her sister who married Snowdon not too long after she was told by Townsend he was getting married. The thing Charles and Diana could have done was had an honest talk, preferably before any engagement happened.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I can see where giving gifts like Charles did to Camilla would seem very inappropriate in Diana's eyes but if Charles and Diana had had the "right stuff" going into the marriage, Diana wouldn't have seen it as a threat or competition.

I think to Diana, a lot of things made her feel threatened. One was that she did all she could to get Charles to spend more time with her and therefore, ended up resenting his role and duties of Prince of Wales. The gift to Camilla was threatening as it was a gift to someone that Diana knew Charles was quite close to. This even built up to be even more of a problem when during the marriage, Diana not only insisted that a lot of Charles' "set" were dropped but it also affected the staff that worked for the Prince and Princess of Wales. Diana was insecure. An insecure woman and a complicated marriage do not go hand in hand.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

I think anyone would be insecure under those conditions. There also were some insecurity issues with Charles.