Preparations for the 10th Anniversary Concert and Memorial Service

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
It's win/win for the Camilla detractors on this one: if she attends the memorial service, it's an insult to Diana's memory; if she doesn't attend, it's an insult to Diana's memory.
Some could say that it's an insult to expect Camilla to turn up at this service and she is only doing so out of love for her stepsons and her husband. :flowers:

If she wanted an out, she would have scheduled her hysterectomy during that time.

Camilla has nothing to lose by attending.

Suonymona said:
If she wanted an out, she would have scheduled her hysterectomy during that time.

What a horrible thing to say, the poor woman cancelled engagements before and after Christmas, due to health problems. She delayed having her hysterectomy so that she could go on an official trip to the Middle East. She was obviously unwell during that trip and now you expect her to delay having treatment so that she wouldn't offend the 'never move on Diana maniacs'!

Of course she has something to loose by attending the memorial. What's happening now, being condemned for planning to attend or being condemned for not attending. She's in a no win situation for those who want to find another reason to dislike her. There's nothing for her to gain, she's attending as she was asked and it's obvious that her presence is important to William and Harry and they're the ones who count. Not the Diana maniacs, not the socalled friends who court publicity, nor journalists like Richard Kay who lost his cash cow when Diana died, she was his major source of royalty stories, and he continues to milk her even now. Just look at his last editorial.

I heard someone say that no matter what Camilla does, she won't be able to escape Diana's shadow.

I also think the reverse is true. Diana's memory is never going to be free of Camilla.

I think the outcry about Camilla appearing at Diana's memorial is that people just want to forget Camilla ever existed for just one day and celebrate Diana. But I think its as impossible to airbrush Camilla out of the present as it is to airbrush Diana out of history.

The two women are inextricably linked and it affects the memory of Diana and well as it does people's perception of Camilla.

Of course she has something to loose by attending the memorial. What's happening now, being condemned for planning to attend or being condemned for not attending. She's in a no win situation for those who want to find another reason to dislike her. There's nothing for her to gain, she's attending as she was asked and it's obvious that her presence is important to William and Harry and they're the ones who count. Not the Diana maniacs, not the socalled friends who court publicity, nor journalists like Richard Kay who lost his cash cow when Diana died, she was his major source of royalty stories, and he continues to milk her even now. Just look at his last editorial.
So all Diana fans are manics you say?:wacko:
I heard someone say that no matter what Camilla does, she won't be able to escape Diana's shadow.

I also think the reverse is true. Diana's memory is never going to be free of Camilla.

I think the outcry about Camilla appearing at Diana's memorial is that people just want to forget Camilla ever existed for just one day and celebrate Diana. But I think its as impossible to airbrush Camilla out of the present as it is to airbrush Diana out of history.

The two women are inextricably linked and it affects the memory of Diana and well as it does people's perception of Camilla.

'to gain, to win, to loose'

Why are people talking about a win-or a lose-situation?

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall has been requested to attend the funeral of the mother of her stepsons. That is all.

The day after all is as usual again and the Duchess graciously goes on with the current affairs.

Suonymona said:
If she wanted an out, she would have scheduled her hysterectomy during that time..
It was an urgent but non emergency operation, why should she have to put her life in danger just to placate some unrelated bystanders?

It seems Camilla and her stepsons are more adult than some others! :rolleyes:

Well, I try not to think of it as a win or lose situation. Camilla was invited to go to The Princess of Wales' memorial and she should. I don't think its sign of disrespect towards the late Princess. And as I stated in post 326 Wills and Harry's relationship with Camilla shouldn't be affected by Diana and Camilla's relationship.

Skydragon said:
She was his ex wife and it would hardly be right to expect him to pay anything towards it.

Perhaps the father of her last boyfriend, al Fayed, will pay, but like BeatrixFan, I hope it is not going to come from British Taxpayers, the enquiry has cost more than enough! :mad:

I'm not sure I agree. Maybe it's not right to expect Prince Charles to pay for it, but I think whatever he contributes would be a nice gesture, for the mother of his sons. I don't care if he doesn't give anything. Personally, I think it is enough for him to attend. But I think if he gives, it will be nice to see that. Although divorced, I think they were very important to each other, and she must always have some part of his heart.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I'm not sure I agree. Maybe it's not right to expect Prince Charles to pay for it,
If it turns out it is not self financing, perhaps the Diana fans should put their hands in their pockets! Although I do not watch a lot on the BBC, they have wasted licence payers money by buying the rights to this concert! :ohmy:

Skydragon said:
If it turns out it is not self financing, perhaps the Diana fans should put their hands in their pockets! Although I do not watch a lot on the BBC, they have wasted licence payers money by buying the rights to this concert! :ohmy:
I can't have an opinion about who pays for it because I'm not a British citizen. Maybe I stepped out of bounds with my comment. I just meant that I think it would be a nice gesture if Prince Charles gave something to the fund. I don't expect it or think he needs to, but there I said it. It would be nice, but he does many nice things, and maybe he has done this quietly and privately.

That said, about Camilla attending or not attending, I think she should go if she wants. I hope that she goes. I don't think Diana would have wanted her not to go. No matter what happened in the past, she is her sons' stepmother. She should go. Unless she doesn't want to, but considering how much criticism she would have for not going, I think she will go. If she doesn't go she will be more attacked, I think, than she would if she does go.
She is not insulting anyone's memory, in my opinion, by going. I think Diana would have wanted EVERYONE who could go, to go. Why would she want people divided and unhappy? That doesn't seem like the Diana that most people describe.

CasiraghiTrio said:
That said, about Camilla attending or not attending, I think she should go if she wants. I hope that she goes. I don't think Diana would have wanted her not to go. No matter what happened in the past, she is her sons' stepmother. She should go. Unless she doesn't want to, but considering how much criticism she would have for not going, I think she will go. If she doesn't go she will be more attacked, I think, than she would if she does go.
She is not insulting anyone's memory, in my opinion, by going. I think Diana would have wanted EVERYONE who could go, to go. Why would she want people divided and unhappy? That doesn't seem like the Diana that most people describe.

The question is not open!
Camilla will attend the service. We know that. Everybody can read it on the PoW website.
She is close to William and Harry and her place on this day will be at her husbands side, where else?
I think the only discussion about her presence at the memorial service takes place in TRF...:rolleyes:

Too many people are making a big fuss over whether camilla should or shouldn't go to The Princess of Wales' memorial service. If Camilla goes to the memorial its not a problem if she doesen't go its also not a problem. This memorial wasn't meant to see if Camilla was either going or not going to the service. But to remember and honour a good woman who has passed on.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I can't have an opinion about who pays for it because I'm not a British citizen. Maybe I stepped out of bounds with my comment.
Not at all, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I just see it differently to some other people. :flowers: I do give to and support a range of charities, that is something I take a decision to do. When my tax gets spent on things I don't agree with, I get a little tetchy and the BBC fee is a tax! If anyone feels that strongley about supporting the concert, I'm sure CH will pass the donations on! :lol:
Why would she want people divided and unhappy? That doesn't seem like the Diana that most people describe.
It is very sad that because of some sad, bitter twisted supporters, the memory of the Diana they say they remember is eroded, isn't it!

milla Ca said:
The question is not open!
Camilla will attend the service. We know that. Everybody can read it on the PoW website.
She is close to William and Harry and her place on this day will be at her husbands side, where else?
I think the only discussion about her presence at the memorial service takes place in TRF...:rolleyes:
Yeah. I figured it was certain she would attend.I didn't read it on the official site. I was just expressing my belief and support that she surely will attend.
I am glad to learn that I was right. Very glad. It would be terrible if she stayed away out of the shame some quarters might dish out, those who will say that she would not be wanted or whatever. I also hope that her son and daughter will be there, because remember that no matter what happened, Diana loved Tom and Laura! :flowers:

CasiraghiTrio said:
Yeah. I figured it was certain she would attend.I didn't read it on the official site. I was just expressing my belief and support that she surely will attend.
I am glad to learn that I was right. Very glad. It would be terrible if she stayed away out of the shame some quarters might dish out, those who will say that she would not be wanted or whatever. I also hope that her son and daughter will be there, because remember that no matter what happened, Diana loved Tom and Laura! :flowers:
She did? I thoght Diana didn't interact with the Parker Bowles.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I'm not sure I agree. Maybe it's not right to expect Prince Charles to pay for it, but I think whatever he contributes would be a nice gesture, for the mother of his sons.

It's nice to see another who shares the same opinion. Someone who isn't caught up in the twisted mêlée of Di vs Cam or Di vs Establishment :)

Last edited:
sirhon11234 said:
She did? I thoght Diana didn't interact with the Parker Bowles.

That is my understanding, as well. I've never read anything that indicated Diana even knew Tom and Laura all that well.

If Camilla did not want to attend, she would have an excuse.
I think Camilla has nothing to lose by attending. She is a strong, confident person who will look at those people "looking down" on her--right in the eye.

I think that William and Harry are showing respect to both Diana and Camilla by letting the latter grieve for the former and the former to still have her place of honor.

And you're exactly right sirhon. Diana raised her sons to be strong. They are showing that strength by allowing their relationship with Camilla to mature. If it wasn't an event for Diana, I think Diana would approve of them inviting her.

Madame Royale said:
Someone who isn't caught up in the twisted mêlée of Di vs Cam or Di vs Establishment :)
My opinion, as stated more than once, has nothing to do with my dislike of Diana. I would feel the same about the expenditure, crocodile tears and fanatacism for any celebrity or member of the British Royal Family. :rolleyes: Perhaps it would be a nicer gesture for all the Di fans to contribute!

Last edited:
Skydragon, you made a very good point about contributing to the memorial fund. I'll give something. Where do I sign up?
Besides giving to a good cause, then my convictions about Prince Charles's "nice gestures" might hold some water.;)

Were not the Parker Bowles kids sometimes meeting with Diana's kids? I thought they were play friends, and that Laura was Prince William's first crush. :flowers:

CasiraghiTrio said:
Skydragon, you made a very good point about contributing to the memorial fund. I'll give something. Where do I sign up?
Besides giving to a good cause, then my convictions about Prince Charles's "nice gestures" might hold some water.;)
Clarence House will accept donations to add to the sum's raised by the concert, I believe. :flowers: I have no problem with 'nice gesture' as opposed to 'expect'. :flowers:

sassie said:
That is my understanding, as well. I've never read anything that indicated Diana even knew Tom and Laura all that well.

When Charles introduced Diana to the Parker Bowles (that was before they were even engaged), he allegedly said that the Parker Bowles were more of a family to him then the Royal Family. Not just friends, but family. In the biographies of Charles can be read that he used to come to the Parker Bowles when he had troubles, mostly to Camilla, but to Andrew as well and that when he arrived unannounced they took him in, sat him at their kitchen table where he would play with Tom and Laura and simply talk to Andrew or Camilla or both - depending on who was there at the time. In the beginning he took Diana with him, but she didn't like this situation, so made him stop. But she knew the kids, of course.

CasiraghiTrio said:
Were not the Parker Bowles kids sometimes meeting with Diana's kids? I thought they were play friends, and that Laura was Prince William's first crush. :flowers:
I don't believe the Princes interacted with Camilla's children until after Diana's death. Remember, they didn't even meet Camilla herself until then.

I have to admit, it gets a bit tiresome to be termed a "fanatic" because I admired Diana. Not everyone who admired her is a fanatic. Quite a few of us saw her clearly as a human being rather than a goddess or a total victim. I don't agree that Camilla should attend her memorial service, simply because it is awkward and her presence will be made a distraction by those who are "fanatics", and that is sad. The day is supposed to be about Diana. Otherwise, I couldn't care less what the Duchess does.

sassie said:
I don't believe the Princes interacted with Camilla's children until after Diana's death. Remember, they didn't even meet Camilla herself until then.
I have to admit, it gets a bit tiresome to be termed a "fanatic" because I admired Diana. Not everyone who admired her is a fanatic.
Andrew was closely associated with the Queen. He was the adjutent of the Royal Horse Guards and then the B&R's. He was also the CO of the Household Mounted Cavalry, then Lt. Col Commanding the HC and Silver Stick in Waiting, any one of which would have involved him and his family in social meetings with all the royals. William and Harry would have met Camilla and her children 'unofficially' long before the publicised meeting, they were all members of the same hunt after all. Charles is also godfather to Tom, which would have involved social interaction. :flowers:
The problem there sassie is that the word 'fan' is an abbreviation of fanatic, (as I am sure you already know). :flowers: Followers seems to cause as much offense to some, perhaps 'admirer', but then does that mean that the person admired every aspect of her life? Perhaps we need to find a word that means fan but not fanatic. :ermm: Yes, the day is about remembering Diana, but also a service for those she left behind - her son's and shouldn't their want's, need's and wishes be paramount?

Last edited:
Diana certainly knew the Parker-Bowles children from a young age. When she was dating Charles, he had just bought Highrove and was 'camping' there on weekends with his staff ( who didn't enjoy it!) As it was a bit rough for Diana to stay there so she stayed nearby with the Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles ( and their children) as a weekend guest. Charles stayed at Highgrove.( From Stephen Barry's book, he was valet to Charles and a staff member who didn't enjoy 'camping' at Highgrove!)

Andrew Parker Bowles was close to Princess Anne ( and still is) and the Queen Mother, both of whom attended his wedding to Camilla.

Before the Andrew Morton book outed Camilla as Charles's mistress, the Parker Bowles family mixed with the royals quite a bit. The Queen, the Queen Mother and the princes knew her quite well. It was only afterwards that there appeared to be no or little contact.

Skydragon said:
Andrew was closely associated with the Queen. He was the adjutent of the Royal Horse Guards and then the B&R's. He was also the CO of the Household Mounted Cavalry, then Lt. Col Commanding the HC and Silver Stick in Waiting, any one of which would have involved him and his family in social meetings with all the royals. William and Harry would have met Camilla and her children 'unofficially' long before the publicised meeting, they were all members of the same hunt after all. Charles is also godfather to Tom, which would have involved social interaction.

Exactly right. This is too often forgotten, that Prince William and Prince Harry did know the Parker Bowles family long before the "official" meeting after Diana's death. They also lived close, besides belonging to the same hunt. I think the Parker Bowles house in Wiltshire was just within a few miles, wasn't it? I don't think diana ever held anything against the kids. It doesn't seem like her nature to do that. I think she warmed to all children no matter what the circumstances were or however awkward things were between the parents. But I think I may have exagerated the interaction in my mind. I probably read something and just took the idea that they were closer than they were. Maybe they socialized sometimes, but I think I must have invented or read more into it, or dreamed it or something. I can believe I would do something so weird. :lol: I'm sure that the Parker Bowles kids interacted on occasion with Diana's kids, but I remembered after my post that the age differences probably made the "play friend" theory not precisely accurate. Tom must have been at Eton by the time William was entering Ludgrove, after all.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I'm sure that the Parker Bowles kids interacted on occasion with Diana's kids, but I remembered after my post that the age differences probably made the "play friend" theory not precisely accurate. Tom must have been at Eton by the time William was entering Ludgrove, after all.
I'm not sure of the exact dates but Tom was wrongly accused of using cocaine and the media were 'concerned' :rolleyes: with his friendship with W & H, (it was proved he was set up by the NotW). Some even suggested that Tom was Williams mentor. We have only to look at the pictures of them all chatting at Charles and Camillas wedding, to realise they have been friends for years.:flowers:

Skydragon said:
I'm not sure of the exact dates but Tom was wrongly accused of using cocaine and the media were 'concerned' :rolleyes: with his friendship with W & H, (it was proved he was set up by the NotW). Some even suggested that Tom was Williams mentor. We have only to look at the pictures of them all chatting at Charles and Camillas wedding, to realise they have been friends for years.:flowers:

Yeah, that's very true. At the time of the "drugs" publicity, the media was insistent about the "mentor" thing. Everytime TPB was mentioned, it was said "he is a mentor to PW" as if trying to egg on the idea that PW, future king, was under "bad" influences. But you're right, the News of the World paid a person to offer TPB some cocaine for sale. I hope they were charged for that because that episode broke so many laws: solicitation of illegal substance, for one, for another, probably entrapment too.

sassie said:

I have to admit, it gets a bit tiresome to be termed a "fanatic" because I admired Diana. Not everyone who admired her is a fanatic. Quite a few of us saw her clearly as a human being rather than a goddess or a total victim.

I think sassie that you are less vocal in your admiration and why you admire Diana as a human being than your contemporaries who see Diana as a goddess or victim. That is why your opinion get overlooked.

Its a shame and your opinion is as valid as any other.

I think where I get annoyed is when people attribute glowing character traits to Diana that if they had just read what Diana actually did and said, they'd come to a different but not necessarily bad conclusion.

For example, I've read two statements recently that give Diana mothering characteristics that based on what she actually said about her children, I don't believe she had.

For example, (suonymona-I hate to look like I'm picking on you but its just the idea not you yourself) the statement that Diana raised her sons to be strong. And another comment that if Diana had been alive, she was have been strict with Harry over his latest drinking phase.

Given Diana's rather strong opinions on childrearing, I have my doubts how much she instilled character traits of strength and resilience in the face of all odds for her children. I also have my doubts as to how strict she would have been with Harry over his latest incidence.

I'm a year younger than Diana and so I remember most of the interviews and press conferences that she gave surrounding her children and what she thought about raising children in general.

Strength and strictness was never a quality that Diana ever stressed as important when talking about how she raised children. On the contrary, she despaired that children were not getting the hugs and love and affirmation they needed and that children were raised with too much discipline and too much expectations for perfection. One of her most heartfelt press conferences hammered this point home. Her method of motherhood was lots and lots and lots of love and demonstrative affection, lots of fun, and then maybe some discipline but not too much because she felt her loving and affirming was necessary to balance the over-disciplined lives the royals faced. I believe the environment she came from could be considered cold and unfriendly so some of her sentiment was totally understandable and quite appropriate.

Other things she did concerning her children were not so understandable. She made an attempt to drive a wedge between William and one of the few adults he trusted during his teenage years when his parents were most at odds, the nanny Tiggy Leggs-Burke. Diana was part of the group that spread rumours that Tiggy was pregnant with Charles' baby in order to discredit her and the rumours got to such a point that the Queen had to step in and defend Tiggy. The affair and pregnancy rumours turned out to be malicious hogwash.

What was disturbing was that Tiggy from all intents and purposes looked like a strong woman who was able to instill a strength and resilience in the young boys she was in charge of. They are still close to her now as young adult men. Just the qualities that Diana is now credited with instilling in her sons. And yet when Diana had the chance to either support or tear down this obviously much needed support of William's, she decided to use her energies to try and tear William's support down. She couldn't plead ignorance, William had declared how important Tiggy was to him when he asked both parents not to come to his school graduation and begged them to let Tiggy come instead because the press and security that their presence at his graduation would dictate would overshadow the event for himself and other students.

However, parents going through a nasty divorce often use their children as weapons and so I'm sure Diana would have regretted it if she had lived longer and would have tried to make amends to William.

Its just a little aggravating in these circumstances to come across posts that claim how Diana raised her sons to be strong or how strict she would be with them if she were alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom