Paul Burrell, Diana's Former Butler

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was great. One thing that would give me 'pause' in a chance meeting or befriending a royal, would be knowing that a technical violation could destroy the acquaintance in less time than it took to have breakfast. The protocol is no laughing matter, certainly.

Quite so. :sad: Why invest? They must lose, or miss out, on a lot of cool friendships. But totally understand, too.

I think that I can guess how that would go, assuming that Harry would ever talk to Paul about his late mother.

1) Paul would somehow make it known that Harry had talked to him but that he "will never reveal what Prince Harry told me."

2) Paul appears on t.v. to drop a couple of tidbits about what Harry said to him and then add that Harry told him much more that he'll never divulge.

3) Paul writes a book about his always-close relationship with Prince Harry detailing amusing, touching, and embarrassing episodes about him from Paul's time as Diana's butler. The last chapter of the book will express Paul's disappointment about all the years that Harry froze him out, reiterating that he knows many things that he will never tell.

4) Paul follows up with a newspaper article in which he tells what Harry told him, in detail, during their private conversation.

5) Harry issues a statement in which he says that he feels betrayed by Paul.

6) Paul counter-issues a statement in which he says that he's hurt by Harry's suggestion that he betrayed him and hints that he could have said much more but didn't because he didn't want to harm Diana's memory.

:wacko:

Therapists are helpful, but you can't buy what Paul would have given, not only relating to the loss, but intuitively feel the pain on many levels. And since he was a basket case himself, both would surely have improved over a period of several months, or perhaps years. Even today they would benefit by getting together or talking once in a while.

:previous: sounds pretty accurate :lol:

I think that I can guess how that would go, assuming that Harry would ever talk to Paul about his late mother.

1) Paul would somehow make it known that Harry had talked to him but that he "will never reveal what Prince Harry told me."

2) Paul appears on t.v. to drop a couple of tidbits about what Harry said to him and then add that Harry told him much more that he'll never divulge.

3) Paul writes a book about his always-close relationship with Prince Harry detailing amusing, touching, and embarrassing episodes about him from Paul's time as Diana's butler. The last chapter of the book will express Paul's disappointment about all the years that Harry froze him out, reiterating that he knows many things that he will never tell.

4) Paul follows up with a newspaper article in which he tells what Harry told him, in detail, during their private conversation.

5) Harry issues a statement in which he says that he feels betrayed by Paul.

6) Paul counter-issues a statement in which he says that he's hurt by Harry's suggestion that he betrayed him and hints that he could have said much more but didn't because he didn't want to harm Diana's memory.

:wacko:

So accurate. Makes one wonder why Paul didn't fly into California or Mexico to propose a book deal to Old Tom Markle, where they'd spin their tales of Maghan and Harry's childhoods....:ermm::bang:

:previous: Shhhhhhhh! They might see this and think that it's a good idea!;)

Obviously the view that he deserves to be ostracized will not fade out all by itself. Someday, when he's no longer around, it's possible his writing will receive reviews nearly as glorious as Crawfie's does today. To his credit, he concedes not coming from a keen intellect or education. Most people lead with the head and the heart follows, though not everyone follows that paradigm. This may be why Diana held him in such high regard, elaborating on various burdens she faced yet interested to know how he felt about them. According to Rosa, it surprised her how many of his judgements proved to be sound.

Some good arguments made here, but it's hard to see how family would not benefit hearing first hand accounts of their mother --- directly from him.

☀️

Last edited:
Obviously the view that he deserves to be ostracized will not fade out all by itself. Someday, when he's no longer around, it's possible his writing will receive reviews nearly as glorious as Crawfie's does today. To his credit, he concedes not coming from a keen intellect or education. Most people lead with the head and the heart follows, though not everyone follows that paradigm. This may be why Diana held him in such high regard, elaborating on various burdens she faced yet interested to know how he felt about them. According to Rosa, it surprised her how many of his judgements proved to be sound.

Some good arguments made here, but it's hard to see how family would not benefit hearing first hand accounts of their mother --- directly from him.

☀️
I think that the family knew Diana rather better than a butler who only wroked fro her for a few years could do. And Its news to me that miss Crawfords writing receives "glorious reviews"....
I don't know what you mean by the first sentence, since most posters on this forum appear to think that he should certainly be left alone by the RF and ignored by the public...

a butler who only wroked fro her for a few years...

If his time had been "a few years" I might see your point, but NINE ??? ..Big difference.

Last edited:
If his time had been "a few years" I might see your point, but NINE ??? ..Big difference.

yes the big difference is that they were her sons who knew her intimately. He was a servant who worked for her for some few years, only a few as a close member of staff. I believe that when the Waleses separated Paul was not pleased to be allocated to Diana as it meant leaving the country where he was happly living with his family....
ANd why on earth shold the boys need him to tell them about their own mother? or why should they show friendship to someone who only showed disloyalty to her...

If you have the chance, click reviews in the five star category (70%). Seldom will you read such glowing reviews of any author. Worth browsing :

er these are Amazon reviews, hardly by professional writing critics...

Twitter comment from Dickie Arbiter on Paul Burrell's latest media interview.

Dickie Arbiter

@RoyalDickie
17 hours ago

It's amazing how'd the media trot out the butler, someone who did nothing but bad mouth her when she was alive and who was going to be fired once the late Diana Princess of Wales was back from holiday. I can't believe the media still take him seriously

William and Harry have, I'm sure, sufficient memories of their mother without mining Paul Burrell's in some cosy fireside chat. They've never shown any interest in him since he wrote his book on Diana, so why would they want to seek him out?

I read Crawfie's book years ago. Pure saccharine.

William and Harry have, I'm sure, sufficient memories of their mother without mining Paul Burrell's in some cosy fireside chat. They've never shown any interest in him since he wrote his book on Diana, so why would they want to seek him out?

If anyone can say how a 12 or 16 year old equates with having 'sufficient memories' of a parent, I'd love to know. Especially, if that someone experiences severe enough of a depression or nosedive emotionally that it sticks around years after a funeral, then more help is needed. Post traumatic stress doesn't afflict everyone but is a serious condition. 'Mining' is a pretty good term, as those who've lost a loved one may benefit from obtaining additional information. . . from anyone who was close to them.

Thats' not to say that we should hang on every word or memory Paul has, but overlooking > avoiding him entirely because establishment figures like Dick Arbiter consider him to be of 'zero' value and ridiculous, seems very shortsighted from a logical position.

Last edited:
How on earth would it benefit them to talk to someone who abused their mother's trust, and whom she was ambivalent bout, to say the least?

Not only that but also basically was seen as the "hired help". Paul Burrell bleating over and over again that he was Diana's "rock" was actually a figment of his imagination and I seriously doubt that Diana ever thought of him as her equal.

If he had been, there'd be photos of Paul and Diana out and about doing things as friends do socially and Diana would have acknowledged him as a friend. Instead, he was only in the capacity of an employee (perhaps a trusted employee there for a while) but he was always just there to do her bidding. Nothing more.

Not only that but also basically was seen as the "hired help". Paul Burrell bleating over and over again that he was Diana's "rock" was actually a figment of his imagination and I seriously doubt that Diana ever thought of him as her equal.

At some point it ought to be said that there is nothing that stirs more resentment of him than this "rock stuff", and I get that. Otoh, to be abhorred by that notion is reflective of a very defensive posture toward him, to say the least. In other words, people are projecting and reading more into it....as if there goes Paul claiming to be of importance in her life when..

HE WAS OF NO IMPORTANCE !

HE MEANT NOTHING TO HER !

Last edited:
But it's Paul who has built up big claims about his relationship with Diana since 1997, ie that she relied on him utterly, he was her 'rock', they were confidantes, etc etc.

I would say that yes, Paul was a trusted member of staff, yes, Diana relied on him to keep her household running smoothly. But, was he on the same level of importance to her as her closest friends and family? Of course not! And I certainly doubt that she confided her deepest secrets to her butler, however well they got on.

Plus, there is evidence that Diana became irritated by his presuming too much all the time. Burrell may well have been her ex butler by the end of the year had she lived.

And again, as far as William and Harry are concerned why would they now, almost twenty one years after their mother's death, seek out a man they publicly accused of treachery towards her after the book he wrote? I think, Elan, that you are very much discounting that statement they issued about Burrell. They were angry, annoyed and hurt at his behaviour, and rightly so, IMO.

Last edited:
At some point it ought to be said that there is nothing that stirs more resentment of him than this "rock stuff", and I get that. Otoh, to be abhorred by that notion is reflective of a very defensive posture toward him, to say the least. In other words, people are projecting and reading more into it....as if there goes Paul claiming to be of importance in her life when..

HE WAS OF NO IMPORTANCE !

HE MEANT NOTHING TO HER !

I really don't know what you mean. People dislike him because he betrayed Diana's trust, by taking her thngs, by writing more and more books and articles about her, and though the boys have not been in touch iwht him for years, he embarrasingly shows up at Harry's wedding. NOT the signs of a decent or stable man..

Oh! I had forgotten all about Burrell showing up at Windsor Castle for the wedding and expecting to be let in.

Perhaps Burrell and Thomas Markle, Jr. went off together into the sunset and cried into pints of ale in a pub somewhere together and commiserated on just how cruel life can be. :D

Of course Burrell used it all to his advantage. Go figure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Burrell-gushes-Royal-Wedding-turned-away.html

Last edited:
I would say that yes, Paul was a trusted member of staff, yes, Diana relied on him to keep her household running smoothly. But, was he on the same level of importance to her as her closest friends and family? Of course not! And I certainly doubt that she confided her deepest secrets to her butler, however well they got on.

Plus, there is evidence that Diana became irritated by his presuming too much all the time. Burrell may well have been her ex butler by the end of the year had she lived.

With secrets, I respect your position she would not do that with him. Based on accounts from others, I believe she did share personal things with those she was comfortable with in a way that was unconventional...meaning she didn't always observe strict 'boundaries' about her personal life, with insecurities and problems hidden away, bundled and tightly wrapped, as most of us tend to do.

If she was irritated as you mention, we can pursue that.

What strikes me most from Paul is how proud he is of everything he did for Diana, and since he was the one who interacted with her and his experience transcended typical butler, a refusal is there to redefine himself as others insist he was a butler, and nothing more than a butler. Can we really blame him for speaking out if the interaction with his employer went miles past this ?

The link below is one that will cause consternation. To lessen discomfort to others, a short part is highlighted. [ Inviting him to Kensington ] If in fact he's dead honest about it, I personally do not find it shameful or terrible. I believe he's repeating accurately what was spoken.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-burrell-reveals-princess-diana-10005442

"We were best friends, like brother and sister, and shared lots of secrets.

"Her reliance on me was so great she even asked me to move into Kensington Palace.

“I told her, ‘Yes, but the problem is Maria and the boys. They need me and I need to be with them, and my family is very, very important to me.’

“‘I understand that, she said, ‘But wouldn’t it just be fun if you lived here with me.’ She often joked about that.

“Diana just thought I could simply walk out and get on with another life. But how could I do that to my family?”

...though the boys have not been in touch iwht him for years, he embarrasingly shows up at Harry's wedding. NOT the signs of a decent or stable man..

Since he went to the wedding with a good heart, and good intentions, then in some ways it speaks of decency.

Last edited:
And we will never know the truth if what Paul says is true now will we as Diana is gone and can not approve his stories nor deny them either. This to me is just he way of wanting another 15 minutes in the spotlight and a way to make money as we have all been told here......Money makes the world go around by those that know how to grab another 15 minutes in the spotlight....:lol::lol:

But again, all those quotes are from Paul himself. I have no doubt that he FELT like he was Diana's sibling (which is definitely not the same as actually being her brother) and that he helped with things like smuggling her lovers into KP under her neighbours' noses. I am sure Diana would have loved a devoted member of staff living at KP and attending to her everyday needs 24/7.

However, what has become painfully clear in the years since Diana's death is that Paul Burrell's devotion to his employer while she was alive has turned into obsession and almost cult-like worship of her in death on his part. (And of course dead people can't contradict what is being said about them.) And afterwards he turned to making money from her.

He can't let go. That is plain. Therefore, their closeness in life, (and the pair were great friends albeit as employee/employer) has turned in Paul's mind to 'She told me everything, we were soooo close, I was her rock, she wanted me near her always, etc etc'.

While Diana was alive did her family and friends testify to this all-encompassing bond? I'm not talking about his devotion to her in running her household and private routine. Paul undoubtedly gave that 120%.

But did her sisters speak about him visiting their homes with Diana, was Paul included on dinner and party invitations with her, did people in the US and in Europe automatically include him when Diana went to stay with them? Did she introduce Paul to people as 'My very Best friend, and my adopted brother!'? I would say 'No!' in all instances.

It never happened because Diana would think it absurd. She never thought of Paul that way, and indeed, as several people on this thread have pointed out, she had become irritated by him (in spite of or perhaps because of his dog-like devotion) towards the end of her life.

Last edited:
, and indeed, as several people on this thread have pointed out, she had become irritated by him (in spite of or perhaps because of his dog-like devotion) towards the end of her life.

I agree with most of your post, but to be fair to Paul-Diana was irritated with and dropped a lot of people the last year or so of her life.

WitIf she was irritated as you mention, we can pursue that.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-burrell-reveals-princess-diana-10005442

"
“Diana just thought I could simply walk out and get on with another life. But how could I do that to my family?”

Since he went to the wedding with a good heart, and good intentions, then in some ways it speaks of decency.
in what way does it speak of "decency' to go to a wedding he was not invited to, so htat he was IIRC removed..? Clearly his presence there was uncomfortable for the boys, they did not want him there and he turned up anyway. he got himself in the papers on what was Harry's special day? How on earth can that be "Decent?" Its clear that the man is somewhat delusional, at best and a liar at worst.. why you think he's decent nad that the boys should spend time iwht him, I cannot understand/

I agree with most of your post, but to be fair to Paul-Diana was irritated with and dropped a lot of people the last year or so of her life.

Its true that other people have exploited their relationships with her - usualy work ones, people like Ken Wharfe and P Jephson. It does not excuse Paul claiming that they were "best friends" but then taking every opportunity to make money out of that relationship...

Clearly his presence there was uncomfortable for the boys, they did not want him there and he turned up anyway.

'Uninvited guests standing at the back of a Chapel' :
(weddingbee.com)
______

"It's not weird or rude or strange – its a generational thing. It used to be an expected thing to do – hence why showers used to commonly be thrown by 'church ladies' or mom's friends. Wedding announcements would be posted in the local paper, and who ever wanted to would and could show up for the church ceremony."

"If you find it rude or it would make you uncomfortable then you should have your ceremony in a private venue where you can control admission. Churches, state parks, and places like that are open to all, and you should at least consider that strangers or uninvited distant friends /relatives might wander by."

Last edited:
It was a controlled venue when Harry married. To gain access to even being outside of St. George's Chapel, one had to be invited and vetted before the day of the wedding. The general public were not allowed within the grounds of Windsor Castle on that day.

Paul Burrell, at that time, was general public. He could stand with the crowd and watch what they watch and seen what they saw but there was no way in hell he was getting close to the Chapel itself. When he tried to gain admission without an invitation, he was turned away.

The only people close to the Chapel or in the Chapel itself were there by invitation of the bride and groom.

St. George's Chapel is what is known as a royal peculiar. A Royal Peculiar (or Royal Peculier) is a Church of England parish or church exempt from the jurisdiction of the diocese and the archdiocese in which it lies and subject to the direct jurisdiction of the monarch. St. George's Chapel therefore is not a "public" church and is open to the public only on the Queen's assent. :D

Okay, so clarification purposes (cause I am confused).

Burrell WAS NOT invited to Harry and Meghan's wedding but was on the grounds?

He is coming across as a very bitter man.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom