Painted and Photographic Diana Portraits

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Granted, Squidgy, there are others on the Forums who know their Diana stuff. But you (and Lady Jean, too) discuss most often topics that interest me, especially Diana 's clothes and when they were worn. When I log on, I always look for your and her most recent posts. And you ARE kind to Newbies. I do sincerely consider you my mentor.

Yes, the photos you post are great, too.:D These from the portrait sitting are really rare and lovely, and it's so nice to have the exact date.

OOoh a deluge of compliments from Umbrellagirl! How nice of you. I think you and I would be the first to sign up to attend Squidgy University, but I guess we don't have to since she is always so generous with her knowledge and photos.
I'm also thrilled to get all of this new info, see new pix, and maybe even better... finally have people to share my favorite pastime with, after all of these years!:)

I love this photo, thanks very much for posted it, diana look so young, so relax

We didn't see many profile portraits of Diana did we? There's the one Lady Jean just posted, then the 1982 Snowdon picture of Diana holding William & the one done in 1994 for the cover of Vogue magazine. That's all I can remember. I think Diana was self conscious about her nose, but I thought she had a beautiful profile & looks lovely in that picture.

Was this portrait taken when the engagement pictures were taken? or later on? I think it was released on the eve of their wedding, but not sure.

Yes, this was done the day she posed with Charles for the photos for England's postage stamps.

Snowdon, Camera Press

Her skin looks very luminous here, I think.

asmadasitgets2003 said:

I looked at everyone and yes, the one you selected was really good. However, although I liked 95% of them, I would say #14,32, and 34 are also outstanding, IMO..
I looked closely at her expression and especially her eyes. I don't think they looked vacant.. She shows warmth and the photos with her sons, show love and caring..
Thank you very much for this link. She was very lovely....:(

Spring 1981
Photo: Snowdon.
In "The Story of the Royal Family" by
Don Coolican, Crown Publishers.

Restored link for photo originally posted in #192.

Last edited:
Some Great Pictures. Thanks a lot.

Squidgy said:
Thanks for the pictures. This is a great forum. I will be back again.

Last edited by a moderator:

from postcard, published by John Merton Productions, Ltd.

Artist: John Merton

I love that portatrit, is in wales now I think.

Is the Merton portrait still hanging in Cardiff City Hall? I hope so.

Lady Jean said:
Is the Merton portrait still hanging in Cardiff City Hall? I hope so.

yes, was changed of place for camilla and charles visit, but the portrait still is in city hall

I thought the portrait was moved that one time to accomodate the Cardiff charter, as it was an event celebrating its anniversary, not specifically for Charles or Camilla's sake.

alexrich39 said:
I think that these are the same overalls. This time she is wearing them with a shirt on a visit to a submarine, i think in 1986.

And I think this is a picture of her wearing the same shirt again. This time it is worn with a skirt and styled with the sleeves rolled up.

Some of the photos John Merton took during one of the sittings for the portraits Lady Jean posted above.

Paris Match

Thank you so much for providing these! I just read that she sat for the painting once in Kensington Palace, and four more times at Merton's studio.

You're welcome Lady Jean!

I wish more of the portrait painters would have shared with us their photographs. We've only seen a handful of them so far. And the ones we've seen, I think, have been excellent. They seem to be as skilled behind the camera as they are with a paintbrush.

A reminder this is the Portaits: Diana thread.
It is not the place to say "happy birthday" or "I miss you".

To keep the thread on topic posts not relating to the portraits will be removed.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful photos. There isn't a wrong photo of her. It doesn't exist. She was very, very photogenic.
I'm glad to see new photos of her.:)

Squidgy said:
January 26 1988 Diana & Charles pose with vice-regal representatives during their trip to Australia
Photo: National Library of Australia (no photographer credited)

I like the way her gown contrasts in style so greatly from the other ladies'!

picturepress

Thank you all for sharing your beautiful portraits of Diana. I have not seen many of them before!

Lily

Back
Top Bottom