The Late Diana, Princess of Wales News Thread 4: September 2006-April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
10878so.png

Arms of Diana, Princess of Wales

Welcome to the Late Diana, Princess of Wales
News Thread, Part 4

Commencing September 2006

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana reassessed

The wife of the local vicar in Sandringham was on the school run, with the back seat of her car full of chattering, boasting children. Over her shoulder she heard one tall story too many. 'Diana Spencer,' she called out, 'if you tell one more lie, I'll put you out of the car.'

Diana DVD

For those of you living in the UK, there is a free DVD about Diana with today's Sunday Express. There was also one with the Daily Express yesterday.

The Hoff's 'friendship' with Diana

10.27, Mon Sep 11 2006
Baywatch legend David Hasselhoff has claimed he was asked to sing at Princess Diana's funeral service.
The Hoff, whose musical talents are perhaps better known in Germany, said the Princess's brother asked him to perform at the service which famously featured Sir Elton John's outstanding rendition of a reworked Candle in the Wind.
The former hunk in trunks said there was a common bond between the pair while the Princess was alive and that she even wrote him letters which she dared not send.
The Hoff said: "Her brother Charles rang me up and asked me to sing at her memorial and he said she'd written me letters but had never sent them.
"He said "was there something there?" and I said "yeah". I saw a lonely person in her, I saw a little girl and someone who needed a friend and I kind of needed a friend at that time and didn't even know it.
<snip>

Shortly afterwards he was banned from a British Airways flight after turning up drunk.
I admit, I'm not a fan of Diana, but no one deserves this. Ughghghghg.

Avalon said:

A quote from the article:

According to a historian friend of hers, she vaguely grasped an important truth: that aristocratic Whig families like the Spencers were the ones who in 1714 had installed the House of Hanover - the Windsors' predecessors - on the throne of England when they were just obscure German princelings. The Spencers were older and grander than the royal house. So she did not marry above her by marrying Prince Charles. If anything she married beneath her.

End of quote.

Can this be true? That neither the author of the article nor Diana have had a sense for the equality of inheritance through the female line and for the fact that there is nobility outside the British Isles?

The House of Hanover is not only one of the oldest Royal houses of Germany, it is the oldest noble house of Europe which still exists! It goes back in direct and documented male line to AD 780! If one is interested, he may look up the history of the Welfs at www.welfen.de. Here's the link to the family tree:
http://www.welfen.de/stammtafel.html

The Welfs of Hanover got their right to the British throne from Electress Sophia who had been a princess of the Palatinate and was the only surviving child with a claim to succession and progeny of the marriage of Elisabeth Stuart, princess of Scotland and England and her husband, the prince elector of the Palatinate and king of Bohemia.

The prince-electorial line of the Palatinate is one of the line of the (later Royal) House of Wittelbach (of Bavaria). This family dates back in documented line to the year 1000 to Otto I. count of Schreyern (who probably was descended from Luitpold Duke of Bavaria who reigned there in 907) and reigned from 1180 as dukes/kings in Bavaria and counts in the Palatinate.

So the son of Electress Sophia who became king George I. was from his father's side the head of the house of Welfs and descended from his mother's side from a union between the Stuarts and the Wittelsbach.

So can please anyone explain this quote by the very unknowledgable author of the article:

"The Spencers were older and grander than the royal house." :ROFLMAO:

Jo of Palatine said:
A quote from the article: ...
i'm not defending the quote above, by any means as i don't know enough about geneology but i'm wondering if they mean older and grander in the UK?

Last edited by a moderator:
Duchess said:
i'm not defending the quote above, by any means as i don't know enough about geneology but i'm wondering if they mean older and grander in the UK?

Could be, but only if you disregard the female inheritance line which is possible when it comes to the Crown (BTW - the Spencers had such a "female break in their history as family as well).

Mathilda, the granddaughter of William the Conqueror, daughter of king Henry I. of England and wife of Geoffrey Plantagenet of Anjou had brought William's Crown through her female line to the Plantagenets. Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward VI. Plantagenet, Margaret's mother, had brought the Plantagenet Crown through her female line into the House of Tudor. Then the Crown passed through Margaret Tudor's line (she was the daughter of Henry VII. of England and Elizabeth Plantagenet, the elder sister of Henry VIII. and the aunt of Elizabeth I.) Margaret was married to James IV. of Scotland, she was the mother of James V., grand-mother of Mary Queen of Scots and great-grand mother of James VI. of Scotland who inherited the Crown of England from her niece Elizabeth Tudor.

Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of James VI. of Scotland (who had inherited England from Elizabeth I.) brought the Stuart Crown through her female line to George I Hanover, king of England and Scotland. Victoria Hanover brought the Crown via her emale line to her son Edward VII. (of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha, later called Windsor).Currently Elizabeth Windsor is queen and will bring the Crown through her female line to Charles Mountbatten-Windsor (aka Charles Of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Gluecksburg and Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha).

So only if you disregard the female line you get the impression that the Spencers ever were older and grander than the Georges of Hanover because these were the heirs direct of William the Conqueror.

BTW neither the head of the House of Spencer (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Spencer%2C_2nd_Earl_of_Sunderland) nor the Head of the House of Churchill (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Churchill%2C_1st_Duke_of_Marlborough), the two direct ancestors of Diana Spencer who lived during the reign of the first George of Hanover had much to do with the Hanover's taking over the power in the UK.... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Since the discussion of Paul Burrell's book was starting to overwhelm this thread and it looked ready to hit its ten pages sometime in the next couple of days, I've split the conversation about the book to its own thread in the Royal Library:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/paul-burrells-book-way-we-were-remembering-diana-10818.htmlhttp://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/paul-burrells-book-way-we-were-rmembering-diana-10818.html

Posts referring to the book should be made over there. Posts referring to Paul Burrell himself in his capacity as Diana's butler, which aren't focussed mostly on the book, can be posted here.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
I'm An Author, Get Me Out of Here!
http://www.theroyalist.net/content/view/1305/1/

Camilla Al Fayed Remembers Kind & Gentle Dodi & Diana
http://www.theroyalist.net/content/view/1304/1/

Diana's First Private Secretary Recalls Royal Life
http://www.theroyalist.net/content/view/1300/1/

Royal P.R.: People’s Princess Obliterates the Stiff Upper Lip
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/11/movies/11roya.html?em&ex=1160712000&en=a6a637dd004d10de&ei=5087%0A

Diana's ‘Luminous' Life: Sarah Bradford's Version
http://www.nysun.com/article/41294

Fury At 'Sick' Diana Art Exhibition
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/09102006/140/fury-sick-diana-art-exhibition.html

Last edited:
Princes plan Diana tribute concert

Princes William and Harry are planning a star-studded pop concert next year in honour of their late mother Diana, Princess of Wales.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/25112006/344/princes-plan-diana-tribute-concert.html

Princes plan Princess Diana concert

Britain's Princes William and Harry plan to stage a concert with performers including Elton John next year to mark the 10th anniversary of the death of their mother Princess Diana, a newspaper reported.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/061126/2/11kj6.html

It is worth bearing in mind, that this is only what the tabloids are saying, there is no confirmation from CH. Lets hope this is not the tabloids trying to force the princes to 'demonstrate' their, to most, obvious love for their deceased mother.

Last edited:
Thats wonderful that Wills and Harry are planning a tribute concert for their mother. I can't wait to tune in. Thanks for that update SkyDragon.

was time! I think this is the first official plan for the princess of wales'as memory where their sons working, wounderfoul news.

I do question the exact intention of this concert. For all the money it will cost to put on, surely simply giving cash donations to charities from the Diana Memorial Fund would be a better idea? This concert idea sounds a little tacky to me. We've got enough Bob Geldof types putting on music concerts under the guise of helping people. I think there were better ways to mark the 10 years if it has to be marked.

Everyone else has made money out of her, what a pity the newspapers are pushing her sons to do the same.

I don't think william and Harry are trying to make money off of their mother. They're just marking the anneiversary in a unique way.

No no, I didn't mean it that way. Personally, I don't see the need to mark the anniversary in this way but if it has to be marked, I really don't see how this concert could be seen as a good thing. It'll cost a fortune to put on whereas all they actually need do is invite representatives of charities and hand out large cheques which I'm sure the charities would prefer to a concert that we all know will be taken over by obssessives and could come across as tacky and insulting.

sirhon11234 said:
I don't think william and Harry are trying to make money off of their mother. They're just marking the anneiversary in a unique way.

Then there will be no charge for tickets and they will all be giving a personal donation to charity, I don't think so! :rolleyes:

If people want to mark the anniversary, remove the drainage ditch! :ROFLMAO:

remove the drainage ditch!
They should remove the fountain since it has caused the tax payers millions of dollars for repair. And should be replaced with a more suitable memorial for the princess.

( Beatrixfan is that the duchess of windsor in your avatar)

Last edited:
(It is indeed).

I do wonder how many memorials are needed exactly. We already have the walk and numerous plaques. Poor old Queen Mary only has one plaque and not even a statue.

Personally, I don't think they should celebrate her 46th birthday but rather her 50th...that would be nice touch. And if they could have corporate sponsors underwrite the costs of the concert...why shouldn't they? But it wouldn't be a bad idea to just make monetary donations to charities that have/had relationships with Diana and her sons.

I was under the impression that the Princes wanted to acknowledge the 10th anniversary of Diana's death, not her 46th birthday. If they want to honor a birthday however, I agree that the 50th would be more appropriate.

I would be sadly disappointed if this concert goes through and the Princes don't attend for whatever reason. Not sure why this popped into my head, but it did.

Best Regards!

I'am sure wills and harry will attend since they're hosting the event.

i was really surprised to hear about this too. it seems really odd although Diana did love music so it might be appropriate in that sense. anyway these guys can't seem to win...for years now people have been moaning that they haven't marked her death in a public way and now that they want to people are being rather critical of their choice. maybe the concert wasn't their idea??

Why am I cynical about this event, well, we only had the one paper reporting this 'event' and now it is on every news channel.

There has been no official announcement and I firmly believe that this is media driven and the princes would be damned if they don't now go ahead with something. A public declaration, to prove they loved their mother!

I have always been of the opinion, that they shouldn't have to boohoo in the street to prove anything. They probably don't need anniversary gatherings or concerts to remember her or prove that they loved her!

They more than anyone, know they miss her and grieve for her. :bang:

Zonk said:
Personally, I don't think they should celebrate her 46th birthday but rather her 50th...that would be nice touch. And if they could have corporate sponsors underwrite the costs of the concert...why shouldn't they? But it wouldn't be a bad idea to just make monetary donations to charities that have/had relationships with Diana and her sons.

I think the event don't is for the diana 46 birthday, is for the 1 anniversary of her daeth, I think I not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom