Memories of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was shocked when Diana died, yet somehow not truly surprised!
When she first came on the scene she seemed so young, innocent and radiant, an ideal princess.

Yet in the end she was jaded, dissatisfied, and embittered.
I've always thought that, if she hadn't died so young, she'd have ended up like Christina Onassis- famous, rich, yet alone and unloved. (I'm not counting the public adulation she received, I don't think it would have been any consolation for loneliness).

Thank you both (gfg02 and sirhon11234) for those wonderful articles on Diana, Princess of Wales.:flowers:

Yes, I know what you mean, Mirabel. She changed her look so much in the picture that were released after Harry's birth, and perhaps there was an inner change that occurred then as well. I didn't like her glamorous new look at all, with the heavier makeup and the satiny blouse that looked too tight.

I was shocked when Diana died, yet somehow not truly surprised!
When she first came on the scene she seemed so young, innocent and radiant, an ideal princess.

Yes, I know what you mean, Mirabel. She changed her look so much in the picture that were released after Harry's birth, and perhaps there was an inner change that occurred then as well. I didn't like her glamorous new look at all, with the heavier makeup and the satiny blouse that looked too tight.

I read in a book that Princess Diana love for Prince Charles died when he came to the hospital and was displeased with Prince Harry being a boy with red hair.

Maybe your observation is correct about the change in the princess after the birth of of the spare.:flowers:

I don't think that Diana considered the effect on her children of what she said in the Morton book. First her telling about her throwing herself down the stairs while pregnant with William, and then her making the comments about Prince Charles' remarks about Harry. Diana was a good mother in a lot of ways, but not in the remarks that she made at times.

I read in a book that Princess Diana love for Prince Charles died when he came to the hospital and was displeased with Prince Harry being a boy with red hair.

I don't think that Diana considered the effect on her children of what she said in the Morton book. First her telling about her throwing herself down the stairs while pregnant with William, and then her making the comments about Prince Charles' remarks about Harry. Diana was a good mother in a lot of ways, but not in the remarks that she made at times.

My theory looking back on the Morton Book was Princess Diana's bulimia and depression got the better of her and she wrote the book to get even with Prince Charles. I give her slack because of her mental condition. :flowers:

Last edited:
Not sure if this a good thread for it but Dateline in US doing Diana wedding special and apparently she told her dress designers 7 days before the ceremony 'let's hope I don't fall on my ass'

That's funny!

And after she messed up Charles's name she asked her makeup artist 'do you think anyone heard me?' A bit naive, no? :)

Last edited:
Not sure if this a good thread for it but Dateline in US doing Diana wedding special and apparently she told her dress designers 7 days before the ceremony 'let's hope I don't fall on my ass

I read that when Princess Diana and her father, Earl Spencer where going down the aisle at the wedding she was holding her father up. She was worried that they would not make it.

BTW Earl Spencer had a stoke and that is why Diana had to help him.

I think that she was more worried about tripping on her train.

It's possible that Diana knew that her sons needed to know her truth. They seem to have turned out very well, and to be truthful, themselves.

Which post are you referring to, in the above post,Princess Kami?

I'm sorry for being obtuse, Roseroyal. I meant Diana's honesty about her bulimia, her desperation during her pregnancy, her feelings of lack of support. I'm not blaming anyone - but if Diana felt those things, perhaps she knew that others needed to know.

Children are often very resilient, and Diana may well have wanted her sons to know what her life was really like.

I have read in books where her friends said, that she wanted her sons to know the truth from her, to lessen their hurt when lies were told about her in the press. She wanted them to know the true facts.

I recall very clearly saying, on the day that Charles wed Diana "It's just as well that she's entering the one marriage that can't end in divorce, because they are separated by far more than thirteen chronological years."!!!!!!!! So, I got it half right, but what really saddens me is watching the reruns of the day and seeing that pretty face radiant with love and hope, anticipating a happy future then having to compare it with the b eauty she became, beneath which, in unguarded moments, could be detected weariness and cynicism, all hope erased. No point in saying she should have known what she was getting into, she was nineteen, her emotions probably much younger and she believed that life played out along the lines of Barbara Cartland romances and she had her Prince Charming to prove it. However, all these years on, much as it pains me to admit it, I think Camilla is, and always was the right woman for Charles, just not considered ,at the time, suitable material to be the mother of a future Monarch. I just hope, that on Friday, somewhere Diana will be beaming with love and pride as the eldest of her two beautiful boys marries the woman he's so obviously in love with. When love leads duty happily follows.

I remember something from her life time, my mother was in harrod's durinG the time she was engaged to prince charles, when she saw someone looking just like lady di, she turned to the lady next to her and said, Doesn't she look like lady DI? The woman answered, she is lady di. My mum does recall she was aWfully sweet and shy!

Last edited:
I loved watching all of the royal wedding programs of William and Kate because they always had items in there about Diana. There is not much reference out there about Diana anymore so that was refreshing to see these programs and
I even found a neat website about her....Page One

A memory of Diana visiting near where I used to live.
Diana was talking to the family of a terminally ill patient. Her Lady-in-Waiting made her aware of the time ,the tight schedule and that she would be late her response
"tough".

lady of hay, I love that story! :)

Another story of Diana with a hospital patient...shortly after her divorce she was visiting Great Ormond Street Children's hospital and a little girl who was terminally ill admired the Princess's nail polish.

Late that night after all the photogs were gone, Diana came alone with the same nail polish in a bottle, sat on the child's bed and painted the little girl's nails herself.

Every time I think about that story, I start tearing up to cry.

What a special person the world lost.

That's the first time I've heard of that story; its so cute. Its such a shame she's no longer physically with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so pleased to see a thread honoring Diana's life and not horbouring on the night of her death and conspiracy. Anyone would like more to be remembered for how they lived and not how they died.

Thanks for these wonderful links gfg!:flowers:
A memory of Diana visiting near where I used to live...
Love it!:lol: You tell em Diana!:cool:
Another story of Diana with a hospital patient...
I heard that story before... and blubbed my eyes out! What a woman! The doctor said Diana made the dying children feel more comfortable faster than medicine, and I believe him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom