Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that makes sense GillW, after what has happened to some other famous peoples graves.

Yes, you are proving that.

What has to be understood is that they were icons when they were alive, and for the generations which shared in their lifetime. These generations, our generations, will age and eventually die, and the generations left will not view Diana or Grace as icons, but as historical figures. Remote identities of times since passed. They'll read of them in the history sections of their libraries or view portraits of them hung in museums. They way it should be, imo.

But there's also images of Grace and Diana on film that will make them seem more accesible to future generations than some historical figures seem to us now. You can watch Grace's movies or see film clips of Diana, like the Panorama interview. I think that will keep them before us. Diana was more famous than Grace though, IMO. But certainly, it's been awhile since both these women were with us, and people naturally move on and future generations will have their own icons. It's their legacies and descendents that live on, not the women themselves.

Gyles Brandreth, ex-politician and author, is having some recollections published in the Mail-online.
He has close connections to Prince Philip and this part refers to Diana's funeral:

I was surprised to see Prince Philip in the formal funeral procession, but I have now learnt why he was there.
Prince Charles and Charles Spencer were expected to walk, with the boys, but it seems that Prince Harry and, in particular, Prince William were initially reluctant.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who had not planned to walk (he is merely the ex-father-in-law, after all), said to William: 'If you don't walk, you may regret it later. I think you should do it. If I walk, will you walk with me?'

Thanks you Warren for sharing this information.

How lovely of the DofE to do this for William.

I do agree with the concept that William might have regretted not doing the walk.

As many know, in life sometimes you don't get a chance to redo certain events (prom, graduation, births, deaths).

That the DoE said something along those lines to William was made known at the time - i.e. a day or so before the funeral.

:previous: Well, it might be new to some of us.

In the days after Diana's death and long past the funeral, I literally couldn't take in any additional information.

I purchased tons of magazines, papers, etc and I haven't read any of them to this day. In addition, I have not watched any video of the funeral, etc.

Until I became a British mod, I rarely ventured into the Diana forum.

So I consider this information good to know.

Last edited:
France has been found liable for ‘unnecessary delays’ in the investigation of Princess Diana’s death.
The Paris-based Court of Grand Instance also ordered the Republic to pay a nominal sum of just under £5,000 compensation to Harrods boss Mohammed Al Fayed, whose son Dodi died alongside the Princess in a Paris car crash in August 1997.
In a sternly worded ruling, judges said there had been particular problems with establishing that the couple’s driver, Henri Paul, had been drunk.

£ 5 000… Honestly, a symbolic pound would have been enough for that - it's not like he's in need of money.

Yes, they were unnecessary delays and procedures but I'm not sure they truly took in consideration the pressure the working teams had to face. The press, the public, the families,…

:previous: Even 20 pence would be too much.

The French authorities were put under enormous pressure dealing with the death and aftermath ,as you say. If only someone would take him to court and sue for the death of Diana due to his drunk driver and apparent lack of security for her!

I quite agree; but who could sue him? Her remaining family? Her sons aren't likely to.:ermm:

If only someone would take him to court and sue for the death of Diana due to his drunk driver and apparent lack of security for her!

:previous: Charlie Spencer would have a good case.

:previous: In France, you can only sue if you are a relative. I'm not sure what are the conditions in England. Once again, it will be difficult to decide in which country the case should be submitted to a court. Henri Paul was French and was recognized to be involved in the death of the people in that car. But then who employed him? Mr Fayed. Can he be sued for employing someone unstable who mixed alcohol and antidepressant drugs? He'll plead he didn't know about it. So I doubt there's anything to be done and that's too bad.

I think that if Dodi had died in similar circumstances but with another person's chauffeur at the wheel, his father would have no problem finding someone to sue and a reason to sue.:ermm: Perhaps the Spencers aren't a litigious family and realize that nothing can bring their sister back. And the matter of proving the case would bring everything back into the media again. Perhaps it simply wouldn't be worth putting William and Harry through it all again.

:previous: In France, you can only sue if you are a relative. I'm not sure what are the conditions in England. Once again, it will be difficult to decide in which country the case should be submitted to a court. Henri Paul was French and was recognized to be involved in the death of the people in that car. But then who employed him? Mr Fayed. Can he be sued for employing someone unstable who mixed alcohol and antidepressant drugs? He'll plead he didn't know about it. So I doubt there's anything to be done and that's too bad.

What I wonder is would they have a chance to win against Fayed. I think some people are dying to see him prosecuted but public support isn't enough. He definitely should have given money to the Spencers and the Princes but the fact that his son also died makes it even more complicated.

It just seems so incredibly wrong that he should benefit, in any way, shape or form, from the death of Diana or Dodi, it seems indecent. :flowers:

:previous: Charlie Spencer would have a good case.

In America Earl Spencer wouldn't have grounds to sue. A suit would have to be brought on behalf of the Estate of the Princess of Wales, which ultimately would benefit the princes. My guess is the princes would have to initiate it, and they're probably tired of all this litigation and would prefer not to have any further revelations about their mother.

In America Earl Spencer wouldn't have grounds to sue. A suit would have to be brought on behalf of the Estate of the Princess of Wales, which ultimately would benefit the princes. My guess is the princes would have to initiate it, and they're probably tired of all this litigation and would prefer not to have any further revelations about their mother.
Given the fact that the two children were minors at the time of their mother's death, the executor/executrix/guardian of the minor children could sue for wrongful death, if they had grounds.

She certainly could have afforded a helicopter ride now and then.:ermm: The one time that I remember her using a helicopter for a personal reason was when she and Dodi helicoptered in to visit a psychic that last summer. Sometimes, I think that Diana was not in control of herself or anything around her during the summer of 1997. Sad.

But Diana also did much good in the world by expressing whatever she had to give of herself to her calling. Even on the final night of her life I thought of Jackie and how she had always used a helicopter and I had seen her in Athens many times while the razzi were there waiting..zoom lenses and all. while Jackie would enter a helicopter at the top of the building and fly off. The razzi would be left behind. bye bye.And that is what I hoped for Diana too.Diana was neither damaged nor ill in any way I see.Diana was too self absorbed to realize she might have another choice as far as the razzi go and this kind of sensibility extended into other areas of her life without her realizingthe possible consequences..
You did not have to be Einstein to have figured this one out.Helicopter.

Would they have been able to get a helicopter at 12 in the morning at such short notice? Dodi's apartment wasn't far from the hotel and I know there were a lot of paparazzi. But taking a helicopter to an apartment building is a bit much.

Both the Fayeds and Diana were wealthy enough to own their own and have a helipad installed at both hotels and thus have it waiting.

However, which no helipad at either hotel, having a helicopter wouldn't have been an option at any time.

Personally I have never really understood why, if they wanted to avoid the public and paparazzi, they didn't just stay where they were. To me Dodi and the rest of the Fayed pack wanted the attention and in their arrogance believed that they could handle any situation but they weren't up to scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the mysteries of what was really going on in Diana's head that night. I wonder if Dodi had planned something major in the apartment that night (e.g. a proposal, even if Diana wasn't interested) and pressured everyone to go along with his plan. :ermm:

Personally I have never really understood why, if they wanted to avoid the public and paparazzi, they didn't just stay where they were. To me Dodi and the rest of the Fayed pack wanted the attention and in their arrogance believed that they could handle any situation but they weren't up to scratch.

I remember watching the Last Days of a Princess docu-drama on TLC. And some of the people who were with the Princess and Dodi (the bodyguards, Dodi's maseuess) have all said that he was the most bothered by the photographers. The bodyguard Kez Wingfield said that he and Trevor Resse-Jones found Dodi to be difficult becuase he kept changing his plans and wouldn't let them know until the last minute. He even said that Dodi didn't want them to accompany him and Diana to the apartment. The person calling all the shots that night was Dodi. He in the end did pressure everyone to go along with his plans.
How can one reason with somebody like that.

Overprotective? Not so much, with that outcome.

This is one of the mysteries of what was really going on in Diana's head that night. I wonder if Dodi had planned something major in the apartment that night (e.g. a proposal, even if Diana wasn't interested) and pressured everyone to go along with his plan. :ermm:
Mermaid I wondered that myself about something major planned at Dodi's apartment that night. Unfortunatley it will stay a mystery.:);):)
...The person calling all the shots that night was Dodi.
Sirhon, I agree with you. Dodi was starting to get bothered at the end of the trip. I read that Dodi was always impatient in traffic and wanted his driver to go faster. I believe Dodi did pressure his help to go along with his plans even if it was dangerous.:);):)

Last edited by a moderator:
She certainly could have afforded a helicopter ride now and then.:ermm: The one time that I remember her using a helicopter for a personal reason was when she and Dodi helicoptered in to visit a psychic that last summer. Sometimes, I think that Diana was not in control of herself or anything around her during the summer of 1997. Sad.
I have no idea what the last hours were about as they Dodi and Princess Di seeemd to be shuttling back and forth from somewhere.Either they were restless or Dodi was possibly going to propose.We will never know.
Just as the DOE intelligently persuaded Wills and Harry to walk with him in the funeral procession I think Diana could have always used a helicopter.
However she had become so enmeshed in her situations that even before this no one bothered to inform her of possibilities.I don't care what problems they made her face I miss her in the world.

I especially miss her during the big royal occasions, like Trooping the Colour, Royal Ascot, and the family church-going at Christmas and Easter.

I don't care what problems they made her face I miss her in the world.

What really annoys me is that Dodi wasn't trying to keep their "relationship" quiet. He took every opportunity to have himself photographed with the Princess of Wales. If that doesn't fire up the papparazzi, nothing will. :bang:

What really annoys me is that Dodi wasn't trying to keep their "relationship" quiet. He took every opportunity to have himself photographed with the Princess of Wales. If that doesn't fire up the papparazzi, nothing will. :bang:

The only thing that fired up the papparazzi was the money they would be paid for the photographs which they knew the public would pay through the nose for (yes the press would actually pay the money but the press knew that an original photo of them in a clinch would have millions of fans around the world in a frenzy to buy the magazine/paper with the photo).

Back
Top Bottom