The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
ICAM with this...thanks, and thanks also, Pranter.

Im upset just thinking about how Diana put her life in their hands and they betrayed her trust like that.

I think seat belts should be a must, at anytime and everytime...
It was an accident. Nobody meant it to happen...
But a lot of it was due to Dodi, who insisted on his stupid plan and pushed Henri Paul into coming in to work that evening and also Paul should have had the guts to admit that he'd been drinking and wasn't fit to drive and reminded Dodi that he - Paul did not have the licence to drive that heavy car. Diana should have put her seat belt on, and usually she did, but i suspect she was tired out by then with all the fuss and just wanted to get home and rest.. and didn't bother. Then Paul took off and drove much too fast and lost control of the car. And hte paparaazi deserve some blame for their harrying the couple

Old 09-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Lets see, the driver had been drinking....

TLK, thanks!
You're welcome Betsypaige. Had Diana chosen to retain her Royal Protection Officers, yes I do believe that they would have forbidden her to ride in the vehicle that night. It's unfortunate that she did not take up the offer.

Regarding Henri Paul being under the influence of prescription drugs and alcohol, unfortunately that was not immediately apparent to the other occupants.

As for the seatbelts, two separate investigations proved that they were in working order prior to the crash. Unfortunately we'll never know why they were not used by the occupants.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It was an accident. Nobody meant it to happen...
But a lot of it was due to Dodi, who insisted on his stupid plan and pushed Henri Paul into coming in to work that evening and also Paul should have had the guts to admit that he'd been drinking and wasn't fit to drive and reminded Dodi that he - Paul did not have the licence to drive that heavy car. Diana should have put her seat belt on, and usually she did, but i suspect she was tired out by then with all the fuss and just wanted to get home and rest.. and didn't bother. Then Paul took off and drove much too fast and lost control of the car. And hte paparaazi deserve some blame for their harrying the couple
So what? Sorry, that doesn’t mean anything to me. I’m not blaming Diana for her death - I’m just saying people should wear seatbelts all the time.

There is very little in this world that angers me as much as drunk driving. I’m not going to debate anyone on this - this is how I feel. Of course the paparazzi also are to blame - their actions that night are still sickening. That doesn’t change how I feel about drunk driving in that case.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
You're welcome Betsypaige. Had Diana chosen to retain her Royal Protection Officers, yes I do believe that they would have forbidden her to ride in the vehicle that night. It's unfortunate that she did not take up the offer.

Regarding Henri Paul being under the influence of prescription drugs and alcohol, unfortunately that was not immediately apparent to the other occupants.

As for the seatbelts, two separate investigations proved that they were in working order prior to the crash. Unfortunately we'll never know why they were not used by the occupants.
Some people seem to hold their liquor better than others, and it seems that this was the case... it goes to show that you dont need to look drunk to be drunk, or to have enough alcohol in your system to be a danger to passengers or innocent people in other cars.

The bodyguard survived, but apparently he has never spoken about the seatbelt issue.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Some people seem to hold their liquor better than others, and it seems that this was the case... it goes to show that you dont need to look drunk to be drunk, or to have enough alcohol in your system to be a danger to passengers or innocent people in other cars.

The bodyguard survived, but apparently he has never spoken about the seatbelt issue.

Sadly this is the case for some people so we have to rely upon their honesty. Also as was pointed out earlier, Henri Paul had little to no experience in driving the very heavy and fast Mercedes. So coupled with his impairment it was a lethal combination that claimed the lives of three people that night.

I understand that Trevor Rhys-Jones suffered from amnesia after the accident and can not remember it.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Sadly this is the case for some people so we have to rely upon their honesty. Also as was pointed out earlier, Henri Paul had little to no experience in driving the very heavy and fast Mercedes. So coupled with his impairment it was a lethal combination that claimed the lives of three people that night.

I understand that Trevor Rhys-Jones suffered from amnesia after the accident and can not remember it.
Henri Paul was a steady if not a very heavy drinker and probably felt he was ok to drive.. and he almost certainly did not dare to tell Dodi that he'd been having some drinks.. Even if He had, Dodi was probably capable of still insisting that he drove and pressuring him, even though Henri also did not have the licence to drive that car..
Trevor Jones suffered head trauma and its problable that he did not and never will recall anything that happened in the car...
Old 09-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Commoner

A few thoughts regarding evidence of the crash and its relevance to Dodi and Diana:

The engagement ring was bought from a French jeweler with the slogan, 'Tell Me Yes' but in French of course. The receipt labeled it as an engagement ring. He had bought it only a few hours before the crash and it was found in the wreckage still in the box. Dodi also had gone in to the jewelry store and came out with a brochure regarding this line of engagement rings while Diana stayed in the car, many hours earlier.

My thoughts: He apparently had not asked her to marry him just yet or the ring would have been on her finger instead in the box and found in the wreckage. (We will never know).

I have seen some transcripts from the formal inquiries but no where was it mentioned about the right rear seat belt and its condition. If anyone has seen this please tell me because in my career I have dealt with seat belts many times under different situations, i.e. wrecks, defects, warranty issues, etc. and there is usually a legal document on this and entered as a normal part of any investigation, especially with deaths involved. (My curiosity only and no conspiracy theory I assure you).

One of the last pictures taken before the crash showed Diana turned to the left and looking over her left shoulder and out the rear window (or rear windshield) supposedly watching the paparazzi on their motorbikes. It appeared that she did not have on her seat belt. She was known to be adamant about wearing her seat belt.

My thoughts: Was it broken? Was it ever tested for defects?

Trevor Rees-Jones' remarks are vague but understandable considering what hell he had went through. His one statement that stands out the most to me though is this: "My opinion is, I just consider it as an avoidable accident," he said. "That a mistake was made by Henri Paul to get behind the wheel of the car when he knew that he had been drinking. Not declaring either to us or to Dodi that he wasn't fit to drive. That was the mistake. I have accepted the finding. It was a simple drink-driving accident caused by speed. And that is what it was."

I'm also of the same opinion as Ken Warfe's. The change of 'plan' or any 'plan' that did not include proper security protocol was amateurish. Here Dodi changed it, called in Henri Paul, and his two body guards could not argue with the 'boss', and had to go along with it.

One last remark. I thought Mohammed Fayed's suggestion of slipping the silver plaque with the lovers poem on it (that was found in Dodi's apartment and hidden under her pillow) into her coffin was cheesy and ridiculous. He was trying way to hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Commoner

Please be careful here but this video by Dr. Oz pertains to much of this. Don't show pictures of the crash or anything like that please, but watch only if you are interested in other findings. A few things mentioned I had not heard before in this video. Admins if you feel this is improper please remove it.

https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/fam...princess-diana
Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

I don't know why they picked that car or had it picked for them or.......just a series of terrible "what ifs", sigh.

Oh that's true, now I do remember that......I wonder how he's doing now.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Some people “seem” to hold their liquor better than others, and it seems that this was the case... it goes to show that you don’t need to look drunk to be drunk, or to have enough alcohol in your system to be a danger to passengers or innocent people in other cars.

The bodyguard has amnesia. He remembers little and why he let Henri Paul take the wheel and did not check the seatbelts. He put his own seatbelts on why not ensure all had them on. Lots of things make no sense to me. ANd Diana always buckled up. Her sisters said so after the accident. SOmetimes seatbelts appear to work but do not reach the buckle so the passenger is snapped in. Diana was not known to be careless about buckling up and did so all the time.

The ambulance bypassed a hospital ten minutes away and took hours to get Diana the help she needed. And equipment could have been sent to that hospital ten minutes away.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:48 PM
Commoner

The way I understand it Betsy was the paparazzi knew the Mercedes S-280 that Dodi traveled in most of the time. Many knew it by heart by its license plate number, so they parked it out front of the hotel as part of the deception. So when Henri Paul and Dodi cooked up this scheme they needed another S-280 and there was only one available from Etoile Limousine, which was this 1994 Mercedes S-280 that was parked in back of the hotel.

He is now married and lives in Oswestry, Shropshire in a 500,000 home.

I see from time to time people say he was the only one wearing a seat belt, but that is not true according to both British and French investigations (I went back and checked). They say none of the four occupants wore a seat belt. The airbag saved him, but even so he was severely injured and in a coma for 10 days with several injuries.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't know why they picked that car or had it picked for them or.......just a series of terrible "what ifs", sigh.

Oh that's true, now I do remember that......I wonder how he's doing now.
Sadly there are too many "what ifs" when it comes to this very sad story.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Commoner

This official copy comes through CBS News of the investigation but there are other official reports out there.

https://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/Diana_Study.pdf
Old 09-16-2020, 07:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
The way I understand it Betsy was the paparazzi knew the Mercedes S-280 that Dodi traveled in most of the time. Many knew it by heart by its license plate number, so they parked it out front of the hotel as part of the deception. So when Henri Paul and Dodi cooked up this scheme they needed another S-280 and there was only one available from Etoile Limousine, which was this 1994 Mercedes S-280 that was parked in back of the hotel.

He is now married and lives in Oswestry, Shropshire in a 500,000 home.

I see from time to time people say he was the only one wearing a seat belt, but that is not true according to both British and French investigations (I went back and checked). They say none of the four occupants wore a seat belt. The airbag saved him, but even so he was severely injured and in a coma for 10 days with several injuries.

Raval, thanks! Ugh, the paparazzi were and are despicable....to go to that extent.....so ugly.

Trevor was lucky to survive.....lesson learned regarding seat belts.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Raval, thanks! Ugh, the paparazzi were and are despicable....to go to that extent.....so ugly.

Trevor was lucky to survive.....lesson learned regarding seat belts.
Bodyguards usually do not wear seatbelts so as to be free to react. None of the 4 in the car were wearing their seatbelts
Old 10-03-2020, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Somewhere along the line Rees Jones did snap on his seatbelts. The exact events are not recalled by the bodyguard. It was a last minute substitute car. There have been seatbelts that are able to be buckled up but don't reach around the person in the car.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Bodyguards usually do not wear seatbelts so as to be free to react. None of the 4 in the car were wearing their seatbelts
Good point.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:42 AM
Administrator

There are various accounts of whether Trevor Rees-Jones wore a seatbelt or not. Some say he did not and was only saved because of the air-bag.

In this article it suggests that he put on a seatbelt moments before the crash because he realised there was danger ahead "either because of the speed of the car or because of the proximity of other vehicles" -

CNN - Bodyguard put on seat belt just before Diana car crash - September 21, 1997

It seems inconceivable to me that he would have done so without warning the other passengers to do the same.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
Somewhere along the line Rees Jones did snap on his seatbelts. The exact events are not recalled by the bodyguard. It was a last minute substitute car. There have been seatbelts that are able to be buckled up but don't reach around the person in the car.
The inquest report said that none of the 4 passengers had their seatbelts on. The belts were working, how could they be buclked if they didn't fit around hte person in the car?
Old 10-04-2020, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There's a lot of reasons people don't buckle up. "Its only a short distance" is one of them.

Where I live, the roads within the mountain community is private land and the seat belt law doesn't really apply. Such was the case with a grandfather that picked up his grandchildren at a communal spot after school in a pickup truck and they were riding in the back. The grandfather was wearing flip flops and got one stuck on the gas pedal on a steep incline. He lost control of the car and his granddaughter flew out of the open cargo area in the back and lost her life. My husband was first on the scene and the child died in his care.

Seat belts saves lives. No matter how short the journey, buckling up ensures that your odds of getting to your destination increases.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey