The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2020, 04:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, the Queen felt that Diana's funeral should be a private one. Out of sight, out of mind, perhaps.
However, HM and other members of the Royal Family, (including William and Harry) were sequestered up in Balmoral and therefore were unaware of the general mood in England and around the world for quite some time.

The Queen in my view seemed to ignore the reaction in London signified by the growing floral tributes around the Palaces until it could be ignored no longer.
I think the Spencers aslo wished intitally for a private funeral, by their family but when they saw the reaction to Diana's death they felt that they could not deny people the chance to say goodbye to her, so that meant a public funeral.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
is this the Comedy programme, the Windsors?
No, itís a 6 part documentary series...

Old 09-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
No, itís a 6 part documentary series...
I must have missed it.....
Old 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I must have missed it.....
It started months ago, but CNN dropped it for coverage of the pandemic, etc. Itís now picking up again - I suspect theyíll be replaying the previous episodes.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Possibly it has not been ON British TV though in the past few months there has been quite a ridiculous amount of royal documentaries.. which i've watched because I was stuck indoors... I take it its about the WIndsors in teh present day
Old 09-02-2020, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Possibly it has not been ON British TV though in the past few months there has been quite a ridiculous amount of royal documentaries.. which i've watched because I was stuck indoors... I take it its about the WIndsors in teh present day
Well, no - it's actually a history of the family. Here's a link where you can see what each episode is about. I saw the first two - they were brilliant.

https://www.cnn.com/shows/the-windso...riginal-series
Old 09-03-2020, 06:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, no - it's actually a history of the family. Here's a link where you can see what each episode is about. I saw the first two - they were brilliant.

https://www.cnn.com/shows/the-windso...riginal-series
Thanks probably there's nothing new, and I've seen a lot of royal docs lately. But there didn't seem to be anything on TV on her anniversary this year. I remember it well the day she died, and her funeral. My husband and I watched it on tv and then we dashed off ot the North London road to see the coffin go by...
Old 09-03-2020, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thanks probably there's nothing new, and I've seen a lot of royal docs lately. But there didn't seem to be anything on TV on her anniversary this year. I remember it well the day she died, and her funeral. My husband and I watched it on tv and then we dashed off ot the North London road to see the coffin go by...
I love docs, so I don’t watch them for anything new...but, I’ve got too many things on my DVR and too many things to watch, so I won’t be able to watch the next two episodes until later on.

I DO think the series is extremely well done and balanced, so you might still want to check it out.

I think the Diana TV tributes were done in 2017, and as it’s only been a few years since, there’s been nothing new to add. If there were going to be tributes, it’s possible filming for them was scuttled due to the pandemic.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:14 PM
Majesty

There were a coupl of programmes in August abuot Diana's last few months.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The night of the accident in Paris, Dodi used very poor judgement in handling things which resulted in that fatal crash in the tunnel. Dodi was impulsive and his security men answered to him. Ken Wharfe, who was one of Diana's protection officers stated that if she still had RPOs, she would never have been allowed to get into that car that night especially with a driver that had been drinking.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The night of the accident in Paris, Dodi used very poor judgement in handling things which resulted in that fatal crash in the tunnel. Dodi was impulsive and his security men answered to him. Ken Wharfe, who was one of Diana's protection officers stated that if she still had RPOs, she would never have been allowed to get into that car that night especially with a driver that had been drinking.
How awful...Was Diana no longer entitled to RPOís? I donít want this to come off badly, but I would say the same thing about anyone ...Diana should have refused to get into that car.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
How awful...Was Diana no longer entitled to RPO’s? I don’t want this to come off badly, but I would say the same thing about anyone ...Diana should have refused to get into that car.

Actually post-divorce, Diana was offered Royal Protection but she chose to decline.

https://www.reuters.com/article/dian...15202920080121

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain’s former police chief said on Thursday that Princess Diana would still be alive if she had agreed to her police protection being re-instated.Former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Paul Condon told the inquest into her death that he had repeatedly tried in vain to get her to change her mind.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
How awful...Was Diana no longer entitled to RPOís? I donít want this to come off badly, but I would say the same thing about anyone ...Diana should have refused to get into that car.
Why should she refuse to get in the car? Her boyfriend was a rich man, with security guards, servants and had access to all sorts of things to make their holiday safe and pleasant. Was she supposed to not trust him? And yes she was entitled to RPOS but had chosen not ot have them...
Old 09-15-2020, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Why should she refuse to get in the car? Her boyfriend was a rich man, with security guards, servants and had access to all sorts of things to make their holiday safe and pleasant. Was she supposed to not trust him? And yes she was entitled to RPOS but had chosen not ot have them...
The main point is that Dodi's security didn't actually do their job to protect their charge but actually did whatever Dodi said to do. If Diana had RPOs assigned to her by the Met Police, if they said that Diana could not get into that car after assessing the situation, Diana would not have gotten into that car.

The difference it makes when security detail follow the whims of their charge and when security detail follows standard operation procedures set down by their superiors at the Met Police.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The main point is that Dodi's security didn't actually do their job to protect their charge but actually did whatever Dodi said to do. If Diana had RPOs assigned to her by the Met Police, if they said that Diana could not get into that car after assessing the situation, Diana would not have gotten into that car.

The difference it makes when security detail follow the whims of their charge and when security detail follows standard operation procedures set down by their superiors at the Met Police.
It was a different situation. RPOS work for the Met, their boss is the Met not the RF. Dodi's men worked for him and so were vulnerable to being sacked if they didn't do what he siad. They argued wiht him about the plan but he would not give in and they knew that once he said his fahter had agreed to something, they could not do anything. Its not fair to blame them for what happened since Dodi clearly would not give in. But I can't see why Diana was meant to "refuse to get in the car"
Old 09-16-2020, 01:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Let’s see, the driver had been drinking....

TLK, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Actually post-divorce, Diana was offered Royal Protection but she chose to decline.

https://www.reuters.com/article/dian...15202920080121
Old 09-16-2020, 02:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Unlikely Diana knew the driver had been drinking, the reports were that he did not apppear to have been.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes Diana had no reason to believe he had been drinking when she got in.

Her security if they had been doing their job should have noticed something. I would think they would be checking to make sure she was safe.

At the very least they should have had seat belts on. You are driving busy streets at night, with paps following you, even more reason to have it on.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Her security if they had been doing their job should have noticed something. I would think they would be checking to make sure she was safe.

At the very least they should have had seat belts on. You are driving busy streets at night, with paps following you, even more reason to have it on.
They were Dodi's security men and they argued with him about his change of plan. But he refused to listen to them. Paul had had a drink or 2 in the Ritz (the bar bill proved that he had ordered 2 drinks) but he was smoking cigars which probably masked the smell of alcohol and there was not much they could do,, if Dodi would not listen to them. He had quite a bit of alcohol in his blood so he had clearly been drinking outside the Ritz as he was off duty. He was also taking Prozac which should not be mixed with Alcohol. But there was no reason why Diana should know any of this.
She wasnt his employer and she wouldn't have know that he wasn't a trained driver.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

ICAM with this...thanks, and thanks also, Pranter.

Iím upset just thinking about how Diana put her life in their hands and they betrayed her trust like that.

I think seat belts should be a must, at anytime and everytime...

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey