The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1281  
Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,637
IMHO but that smacks of monetising Diana's grave and, like her brother's seemingly endless travelling show ended, I thought it was finally put to rest.

Many children lose their mother's at an early age but William and Harry have never been able to mourn and move on like everyone else because every year the tabloids do their ritual mean-spirited ceremomial raking of the ashes. Is it any wonder they don't find it easy?

Now things are on an almost normal footing you are suggesting what is basically a grief destination tour with all its perpetual noise.

Will Diana never be able to just rest in peace?
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #1282  
Old 10-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Elan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Kalispell, United States
Posts: 169
Imagine the reaction had the brother and estate kept everyone out of Althorp from long ago with no visitors received. He seems to be in a difficult position no matter what decisions are made. It's a little hard to believe the emotional condition for those arriving now are as consumed with grief as the crowd around Kensington palace was in '97. But still, if people who grieve her death are seen crying, even today, that shouldn't be offensive to anyone or her memory.

This is all many years later, and eventually the number of people will greatly diminish. It's a tribute to Diana that people are still interested to visit her.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1283  
Old 10-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,193
Undisclosed resting place?

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #1284  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I saw this on my AOL news feed that I scroll through and I passed it right by. In the same scrolling, I also saw the rumor that Kate is pregnant with her fourth child among some other sensationalistic attention grabbing articles.

Its promotion for a book newly published and I sincerely feel that this is exploitation of the incidents that happened when Diana's car crashed in that tunnel in Paris 22 years ago.

I did not read the article nor will I be interested in buying the book. But that's just me.

There were so many things happening that night that not one person or group could control without an enormous net in the back and we would have heard of that! Plus Diana was not wearing her seatbelt and we know she would have survived if she had worn it. It was an accident. Maybe there was or wasn't that white Fiat in the tunnel and maybe it was involved or not in the accident but all that doesn't really matter. And in my humble opinion: if Al Fayed had not been so hectic in his trys to secure his prize: Diana's hand in marriage for his son - he would not have made so many people in his employ going stir crazy. Then many faults wouldn't have happened and Diana might be alive today. An impaired driver, passengers wearing no seatbelts, a hunt through Paris, a crash. **** like that happens every day!
Reply With Quote
  #1285  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Undisclosed resting place?

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.



LaRae

Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.
Reply With Quote
  #1286  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.

Quite frankly it doesn't matter what 'many people feel' when it comes to her burial. That decision was made by her family (I would imagine her brother, sisters and perhaps some input from the boys) as to how to handle her burial.

If she's buried on the fake island or not...makes not one bit of difference. She's gone, her family knows where she is and that's the only people who need to know.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #1287  
Old 10-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Quite frankly it doesn't matter what 'many people feel' when it comes to her burial. That decision was made by her family (I would imagine her brother, sisters and perhaps some input from the boys) as to how to handle her burial.

If she's buried on the fake island or not...makes not one bit of difference. She's gone, her family knows where she is and that's the only people who need to know.


LaRae

When we talk about the burial of a public persona, the plans have to include thoughts about what the many mourners think and will want to do. Otherwise there is never any peace possible for the family.


I completely agree with you that it doesn't matter where she is really buried. The right people know and that's all that counts. But just imagine the pressure of the public if they had chosen Frogmore... So it really was the best idea to inform the public as they did and allow for admirers to take a look at the lake for some days each year.
Reply With Quote
  #1288  
Old 10-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
Imagine the reaction had the brother and estate kept everyone out of Althorp from long ago with no visitors received. He seems to be in a difficult position no matter what decisions are made. It's a little hard to believe the emotional condition for those arriving now are as consumed with grief as the crowd around Kensington palace was in '97. But still, if people who grieve her death are seen crying, even today, that shouldn't be offensive to anyone or her memory.

This is all many years later, and eventually the number of people will greatly diminish. It's a tribute to Diana that people are still interested to visit her.
A lot of the "piles" of the landed gentry and aristocrats are open to the public for tours. It helps to maintain the upkeep of the estate and people are genuinely interested in seeing these homes. Althorp is no different. I can't say when the Earl Soencer first opened his home to the public but I do see where it being Diana's resting place would be a huge draw to the public.

Of course, with Diana's resting place being on an island within the Althorp estate, its been my belief that people could see the island and perhaps get a glimpse of the mausoleum but no one from the public is ever allowed to actually go to that island. This is preserving a peaceful repose for Diana's remains. In fact, I believe its more respectful to Diana and she's left in peace this way than perhaps someone going to Westminster Abbey and being up close and personal with the burial sites of 17 British monarchs.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #1289  
Old 10-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,491
I think it is the best place.. her remains are safely in consecrated ground near to her family and her sons and other loved ones can go and visit her grave but not the general public.. I dotn think she would have wanted to be buried with the RF and It is much the best thing to have done what they did...
Reply With Quote
  #1290  
Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, United States
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
A lot of the "piles" of the landed gentry and aristocrats are open to the public for tours. It helps to maintain the upkeep of the estate and people are genuinely interested in seeing these homes. Althorp is no different. I can't say when the Earl Soencer first opened his home to the public but I do see where it being Diana's resting place would be a huge draw to the public..
Althorp House was first opened to the public by the current earl's grandfather in 1953. Charles often acted as tour guide as a teenager when he was home from school and has written an absolutely beautiful book about the house and its history (and his sister is only briefly mentioned.) The house is open fewer hours now than in his grandfather's or father's days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Undisclosed resting place?

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.
LaRae
Diana's grave on the island is unmarked. The building you are referring to is near the old stable block next to the house.
Reply With Quote
  #1291  
Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.
Why would William bury his parents together??? If Charles had been a widower, and remarried Camilla, it may be fitting he be buried with both wives. But he and Diana were divorced.

Unless Charles dies before his mother, he will not be buried at Frogmore. The sovereign is not buried in Frogmore. Save Victoria, every monarch since George III has been buried at St George's. Well except Edward VIII but he abdicated. Charles and Camilla would both be buried there as well. Though non monarchs like Margaret have been interred there as well, I don't see Diana's ashes being moved to be placed there among the kings and queens, and their kids.


The decision was made by Diana's family, and likely her sons included, on where she would rest. No reason to believe they would up and move them later. The family is who matters, not the public who want to 'grieve'.

By the time of King William, the need for constant public grieving should have been long over.
Reply With Quote
  #1292  
Old 10-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Diana's grave on the island is unmarked. The building you are referring to is near the old stable block next to the house.
No there is also a building on the island in memory of Diana.



LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #1293  
Old 11-01-2019, 04:22 AM
Elan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Kalispell, United States
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
No there is also a building on the island in memory of Diana.


There may well be one..but it seems less than prominent.


https://duckduckgo.com/?ratb=e&q=Alt...ages&ia=images
Reply With Quote
  #1294  
Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, United States
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
There may well be one..but it seems less than prominent.


https://duckduckgo.com/?ratb=e&q=Alt...ages&ia=images
Earl Spencer has said repeatedly that the vase on the island merely commemorates that Diana is buried there. He has emphasized over the years that the actual grave site is unmarked and only the immediate family knows its exact location.
Reply With Quote
  #1295  
Old 11-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,238
I don't live that far away from Althorp. I've lost count of the number of locals who say she's really buried in the parish church at Great Brington.
Reply With Quote
  #1296  
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 AM
Elan's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Kalispell, United States
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I don't live that far away from Althorp. I've lost count of the number of locals who say she's really buried in the parish church at Great Brington.

That sounds like the product of vivid imagination, but I was unaware this Parish held a family tomb inside. Her lineage is easily traced then to the 1500's. We have nothing like that in America. Very impressive.


https://www.explorechurches.org/chur...great-brington
Reply With Quote
  #1297  
Old 11-09-2019, 02:44 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,703
Diana's known ancestry goes back further than the 1500's. There are Spencer family vaults there.

There have been rumours for years that Diana is buried in the vaults of the church, and that there was unusual activity very late at night centred around her family church for a couple of days after Diana's funeral. Vehicles coming and going. I remember reading the stories at the time and about villagers being puzzled by it all.
Reply With Quote
  #1298  
Old 11-09-2019, 03:28 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Diana's known ancestry goes back further than the 1500's. There are Spencer family vaults there.

There have been rumours for years that Diana is buried in the vaults of the church, and that there was unusual activity very late at night centred around her family church for a couple of days after Diana's funeral. Vehicles coming and going. I remember reading the stories at the time and about villagers being puzzled by the activity.
I believe Elan meant more the family history in that parish area.


Most Americans can trace their ancestry back before the 1500s if they do research, just not in the US, not a parish there. The Spencer family purchased Althorp in 1508, so the family has been in that area and some members buried there for over 511 years.


Her father is among the many members of the family buried in the tomb.
Reply With Quote
  #1299  
Old 11-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post


Most Americans can trace their ancestry back before the 1500s if they do research, just not in the US, not a parish there.
Indeed, I'm also not that far from a lovely place called Sulgrave where a certain Lawrence Washington went to live in the C16th. Apparently some members of the family went to live in the new world..............
Reply With Quote
  #1300  
Old 11-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
That sounds like the product of vivid imagination, but I was unaware this Parish held a family tomb inside. Her lineage is easily traced then to the 1500's. We have nothing like that in America. Very impressive.


https://www.explorechurches.org/chur...great-brington
The Spencer monuments in the church are an incredible collection. One of the best I have ever seen.

As to the speculation from the locals, I guess that's all it is, just supposition. In the end it's a private matter. Who knows? Who really needs to know in the end apart from her family.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death & Funeral of King Hussein Alexandria Royal House of Jordan 75 02-19-2018 12:28 AM
Death & Funeral of Prince Alexandre Stefan Royal Family of Belgium 136 08-15-2010 09:53 PM
Death and Funeral of HI&RH Archduke Karl Ludwig (1918-2007) Marengo The Imperial House of Austria 27 11-10-2009 09:50 AM
Death & Funeral of Countess Sonja Bernadotte: October 21 and 25, 2008 Hanna Regina Swedish Royal History 15 10-27-2008 12:44 PM




Popular Tags
abdication abu dhabi american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen carolin chittagong commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll duke of sussex facts family tree games george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf haakon vii hill history house of windsor imperial household intro italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery kids movie line of succession list of rulers luxembourg mailing meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels prince constantijn prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen mathilde queen maxima random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon sussex swedish queen taiwan tracts tradition uae customs unsubscribe videos wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×