Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, when it was announced that Dodi had died, I just kept thinking what a hard time Diana would have going on in life... not even thinking that she herself would not make it.

Agree. Plus elite or high end romances, possessing professionally trained security teams are generally assumed to be near bulletproof under a range of circumstances. But also..

Paris..with it's long romantic history and couples walking by the Seine, would seem to be the last place on earth for the worst possible outcome ? Perhaps not head over heels in love, but she was being seriously courted and dined by a major player in the field.. which seemed to amplify the shock of the situation further.

Last edited:
Agree. Plus elite or high end romances, possessing professionally trained security teams are generally assumed to be near bulletproof under a range of circumstances. But also..

Paris..with it's long romantic history and couples walking by the Seine, would seem to be the last place on earth for the worst possible outcome ? Perhaps not head over heels in love, but she was being seriously courted and dined by a major player in the field.. which seemed to amplify the shock of the situation further.

major player??? Dont you mean a sad middle aged man who was only successful with women because he was rich

major player??? Dont you mean a sad middle aged man who was only successful with women because he was rich

If the heir to the owner of Harrod's is no major player on the love market. Who is?

If the heir to the owner of Harrod's is no major player on the love market. Who is?

“When am I going to meet a woman so famous she will get my face on the cover of People magazine?” - Dodi Fayed

Suzanne Gregard - Model - Married and divorced after 8 months. 1986
Kelly Fisher - Model - Engaged and ended two months later. 1997
Brooke Shields - Actress/Model - Dated only.
Winona Ryder - Actress - Dated only.
Sandra Taylor - Actress/Model - Dated only.
Diana, Princess of Wales - Dated only.

He achieved being famous upon his death. 1997

The Beatles song comes to mind: 'Money Can't Buy Me Love'. Money can attract ladies, but not love. An emotion as strong as love comes from the mind and Dodi was not known for that. His friends knew him to be kind and quiet, but he did live the life of a playboy. May he rest in peace.

Rayal;2447015The Beatles song comes to mind: 'Money Can't Buy Me Love'. Money can attract ladies said:
He lived the life of a playboy on his daddy's checkbook and, in return, Dodi became a commodity for his father's ambitions. Daddy Mo had been unsuccessfully trying to edge his way into elite British society for years without any success. To have his son connected in any way to Diana, Princess of Wales would have been a huge feather in Daddy Mo's cap and set his eyes twinkling.

Daddy Mo's machinations brought Diana and Dodi together that summer. Otherwise, Dodi most likely would have remained engaged to Kelly Fisher and remained pretty much an obscure playboy in the world. :D

well yes I think that for a few weeks of Dis llast year, she was a bit fond of Dodi. There was a connextion but he was wheeled out by MAF to court her, the stories of his other romance and his money troubles did not add to the charm of a summer romance.. and Dodi was largely attractive because he had money and a rich father...

Suzanne Gregard - Model - Married and divorced after 8 months. 1986
Kelly Fisher - Model - Engaged and ended two months later. 1997
Brooke Shields - Actress/Model - Dated only.
Winona Ryder - Actress - Dated only.
Sandra Taylor - Actress/Model - Dated only.
Diana, Princess of Wales - Dated only.
On that particular list, Kelly Fisher, if she didn't love him, clearly was distraught, shaken up realizing that their marriage was off the table. Though not love exactly, if Dodi could stir that type of reaction in a fiancé, women in general, then I don't know what to call it. He had a level of confidence that went past being wealthy.

Last edited:
He didn't have a level of confidence. he knew that he was not a smart and powerful man like his father. He could not even manage to pay his bills..
Kelly Fisher may have been fond of him, I think women were often fond of him in a vague way because he WAS hapless and not very strong minded or confident. but I doubt if she was distraught over losing him. Her main concern was to make some money out of hte breaking off of her engagement.

On that particular list, Kelly Fisher, if she didn't love him, clearly was distraught, shaken up realizing that their marriage was off the table. Though not love exactly, if Dodi could stir that type of reaction in a fiancé, women in general, then I don't know what to call it. He had a level of confidence that went past being wealthy.

When I am not on the list it is worthless....

Last edited:
Why does the term "Lothario" come to mind when I think of Dodi Fayed? One thing Dodi would never be considered had he lived, is a self made man. He did have business successes but he also had daddy's bank account backing him up. His future was never really on the line.

I think Mohamed Al Fayed counted on Dodi's attractiveness and charisma with women and that is the reason he summoned him to be there while Diana was also a guest on Fayed's yacht that summer.

:previous: Perfect, I agree. I believe I also remember that his former wife Suzanne Gregard commented that there was a sweetness to Dodi that led you to want to look after him. After Mohammad took him away from his mother after a bitter divorce, Dodi grew up a lonely boy with only his pets for company.

His parents' divorce and the ensuing loneliness and sadness that it brought him might have created a bond with Diana, who also had that experience in childhood.

?? Dodi did not have any business sucessses, and insofar as women liked him, it seems to be because he was helpless and rather silly but nice enough adn they probalby wanted to mother him. NOT a successful womaniser as such.

Why does the term "Lothario" come to mind when I think of Dodi Fayed? One thing Dodi would never be considered had he lived, is a self made man. He did have business successes but he also had daddy's bank account backing him up. His future was never really on the line.

I think Mohamed Al Fayed counted on Dodi's attractiveness and charisma with women and that is the reason he summoned him to be there while Diana was also a guest on Fayed's yacht that summer.

He wasnt a lothario.. In the sense of attracting women by his own efforts. He wasn't rich by his own work or achievements, he wasn't particularly handsome. His attraction for Diana was partly I think that he was a bit of a lost soul, who had lost his mother and I think that attracted her a bit for a short time.. and hte other big attraction was that he was free to sepend all his time with her amusing her and she wanted a man like that, at least for a short time. But it wasnt that he had a lively personality, or was amusing to talk to, or handsome... Most of the women in his life were there because of his being rich.. the few that genuinely were fond of him - it was largely becuase he did come across as sweet and hapless.

There is a financial phenomena with millionaires/billionaires in that the money will actually make more money on its own if left alone. Its like an imaginary level and once above that line the money will produce more money exponentially. With the Fayed bankroll behind Dodi, his movies 'Chariots of Fire' and 'Hook' became box office hits as major motion pictures. Budget for Chariots was $5.5 million (3 million pounds) and it made $59 million at the box office. Watching the movie you easily get the impression that it took a lot on money to make it into a high quality film. It was a great story with very good actors, but his father's bankroll put it over the top. You don't have to be a financial wizard to make a successful film, although it might have made Dodi appear to be a financial genius...not so. He was actually thrown off the set by producer David Puttham for giving cocaine to the film crew.

Last edited:
Dodi had nothing to do wiht Chariots. His father put in the money in his name. Dodi liked moives and was supposed to be learning about movie direction and production but he didn't take much interest in the work. He was then kicked off the set for sharing drugs with some of the cast.

He was accredited with the title as 'Executive Producer' even though it was his father's bankroll.

yes i know.. but he wasnt the producer except in the sense that his name was on the film and his father put in the money for him. MAF was trying to find something for Dodi to do, and Dodi seems to have liked the idea of being a film producer but he did not learn the job. He was not rich from his own endeavours and it was largely his father's wealth that gave him a chance to date pretty girls and have a bit of a name as a playboy

yes i know.. but he wasnt the producer except in the sense that his name was on the film and his father put in the money for him. MAF was trying to find something for Dodi to do, and Dodi seems to have liked the idea of being a film producer but he did not learn the job. He was not rich from his own endeavours and it was largely his father's wealth that gave him a chance to date pretty girls and have a bit of a name as a playboy

You do realize we are basically saying the same thing...right?

Yes I was just trying to emphasise that Dodi DID make some vague attempt to have a film career.. perhaps he hoped to become a Lothario getting pretty girls off his own bat, but it didn't work out

Yes I was just trying to emphasise that Dodi DID make some vague attempt to have a film career.. perhaps he hoped to become a Lothario getting pretty girls off his own bat, but it didn't work out

The 80's are largely remembered as a time when cocaine became fashionable in the film industry, available at every party, or night club, such as Studio 54, where Dodi liked to go. One gal recalled.. "I danced in Studio54. It was a fun place to be, full of celebrities. Studying fashion at FIT NYC, I Never saw him drink or do drugs. He liked pretty girls, and danced. We never knew he was rich, he seemed polite and nice."

So this was a guy that knew how to party or attract women to the dance floor, which says something about him. According to an author, he brought an entourage of friends to a Saint Tropez dance club during a late afternoon, Diana and others in tow, with him leading on the floor, where a good time was had by all.

Last edited:
The 80's are largely remembered as a time when cocaine became fashionable in the film industry, available at every party, or night club, such as Studio 54, where Dodi liked to go. One gal recalled.. "I danced in Studio54. It was a fun place to be, full of celebrities. Studying fashion at FIT NYC, I Never saw him drink or do drugs. He liked pretty girls, and danced. We never knew he was rich, he seemed polite and nice."

So this was a guy that knew how to party or attract women to the dance floor, which says something about him. According to an author, he brought an entourage of friends to a Saint Tropez dance club during a late afternoon, Diana and others in tow, with him leading on the floor, where a good time was had by all.
His friends were largley his friends because he was rich. He hung out with celebrities because his father's money gave him the means to do so. If he had not been rich I doubt veyr much if he would have had a large number of pretty girlfriends. and it seems like the few that genuinely liked him did so in a pitying motherly way because he wasn't confident or particularly handsome or able to manage his own life

He may not have been an Adonis, but if a handful of competing gentlemen were in that situation with Diana back then.. would a yacht and wealth be enough for things to work out mutually between them? Most men would would regard her return trip the second time, a more private setting, as being in a relationship of some kind.

Last edited:
Diana was lonley, and beginning to give up on her affair with Hasnat Khan. She knew Dodi's father and he had been kind to her so she was willing to date his son and see how things went. Indications are that after a few weeks she was getting fed up with him and thinking of ending the summer romance

Video about the events following the death of Princess Diana

An absolute tragedy, truly the best of us are taken too early.

Back
Top Bottom