Last Hours, Death, Transfer from France, Funeral and Interment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.

Why would William bury his parents together??? If Charles had been a widower, and remarried Camilla, it may be fitting he be buried with both wives. But he and Diana were divorced.

Unless Charles dies before his mother, he will not be buried at Frogmore. The sovereign is not buried in Frogmore. Save Victoria, every monarch since George III has been buried at St George's. Well except Edward VIII but he abdicated. Charles and Camilla would both be buried there as well. Though non monarchs like Margaret have been interred there as well, I don't see Diana's ashes being moved to be placed there among the kings and queens, and their kids.

The decision was made by Diana's family, and likely her sons included, on where she would rest. No reason to believe they would up and move them later. The family is who matters, not the public who want to 'grieve'.

By the time of King William, the need for constant public grieving should have been long over.

Diana's grave on the island is unmarked. The building you are referring to is near the old stable block next to the house.

No there is also a building on the island in memory of Diana.

LaRae

I don't live that far away from Althorp. I've lost count of the number of locals who say she's really buried in the parish church at Great Brington.

Last edited:
Diana's known ancestry goes back further than the 1500's. There are Spencer family vaults there.

There have been rumours for years that Diana is buried in the vaults of the church, and that there was unusual activity very late at night centred around her family church for a couple of days after Diana's funeral. Vehicles coming and going. I remember reading the stories at the time and about villagers being puzzled by it all.

Last edited:
Diana's known ancestry goes back further than the 1500's. There are Spencer family vaults there.

There have been rumours for years that Diana is buried in the vaults of the church, and that there was unusual activity very late at night centred around her family church for a couple of days after Diana's funeral. Vehicles coming and going. I remember reading the stories at the time and about villagers being puzzled by the activity.

I believe Elan meant more the family history in that parish area.

Most Americans can trace their ancestry back before the 1500s if they do research, just not in the US, not a parish there. The Spencer family purchased Althorp in 1508, so the family has been in that area and some members buried there for over 511 years.

Her father is among the many members of the family buried in the tomb.

Most Americans can trace their ancestry back before the 1500s if they do research, just not in the US, not a parish there.

Indeed, I'm also not that far from a lovely place called Sulgrave where a certain Lawrence Washington went to live in the C16th. Apparently some members of the family went to live in the new world..............;)

That sounds like the product of vivid imagination, but I was unaware this Parish held a family tomb inside. Her lineage is easily traced then to the 1500's. We have nothing like that in America. Very impressive.

https://www.explorechurches.org/church/st-mary-virgin-st-john-great-brington

The Spencer monuments in the church are an incredible collection. One of the best I have ever seen.

As to the speculation from the locals, I guess that's all it is, just supposition. In the end it's a private matter. Who knows? Who really needs to know in the end apart from her family.

Would I feel less sad in a church or on the island...obviously it does not matter. I plan to go to Althorp Estate and visit what I can. I have read so many books about her, that I no longer feel the need to know every new thing that comes along about her. It took me a while to come to the conclusion that all the Facebook pages are created solely for the gossip and the drama over the highs and lows of her life. The haters and trolls ruin all of them. When I seen an idiot that was just being nasty about her and he had a 'Favorite Fan' icon above his name I realized the admins were not interested in it to be a strictly fan based page I knew I had been duped. Yes, I have read about all of her failings and sometimes childish behavior, but I don't care about any of that as its just immature and improper to dig that far and deep into her life. Writers and researchers interviewed every person ever connected to her to get the good that she did, yes, but to them more importantly to get the dirt on her. So I finally realized that I loved her because she was down to earth, she had her battles and she fought back and I felt like she triumphed in the end. She did so much good for so many people that needed her help, and that is rare these days. When she died I cried like a baby with my family. We were so shocked and I really took the pain of it to my soul. We all said, "Why? Why?" There is no answer to that and it leaves your heart feeling so empty and all over a beautiful lady that I never met. If God decides to finally send back someone from heaven because he felt their life was unfinished and they had so much more to give...I would want it to be her..!! May she always rest in peace.

:previous: I believe she does rest in peace, whether on the island or in the family vault. The reason she was buried on the island was to prevent problems with the demented whom they did not believe would leave her grave undisturbed. With the estate security, they can at least feel a sense of peace and security, although the same would have applied to Frogmore as that too is fairly secure.

Charles Spencer built or renovated the memorial to Diana which is not on the island meaning visitors to the estate can stop and read and pay their respects. The island itself is still off-limits and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/21/article-0-0040078F00000258-720_468x452.jpg

Last edited:
There are no close up pictures of Diana, Princess of Wales' burial site, but there is this youtube video taken I assume by a Google Earth satellite and the narrator draws in close enough to see a rough outline of her monument. He didn't point this out but it looked like a white stone bench to the right of the memorial. May she always rest in peace.

Footage of Frances Shand Kydd attending a Memorial Mass at Westminster Cathedral on September 5th,1997 in memory of Diana Princess of Wales.The Mass was presided over by the late Cardinal Hume.The Duchess of Kent and the Duchess of Norfolk were also present.

A snippet of BBC tv's coverage of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

As much as I love the Queen, I admire Charles for standing up to his mother and insisting that he bring back Diana's body.

However, Charles' decision to travel with Diana's body himself caused a huge rift with his mother, the Queen.
Richard said: "Charles took the decision that he was going to Paris to bring back Diana's body.
"This was a surprising and brave move. He was an ex-husband, he had no right to be there other than as the father of her sons.
"Charles wanted to take the royal flight to Paris but the Queen wouldn't allow it.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-refused-harry-carry-22559465

Here's a clip from The Windsors, which will be returning on 9/6/20. It's heartbreaking - and perhaps revealing for those who thought Charles never loved or cared about Diana.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/08/31/the-windsors-epi-6-clip-3.cnn

Last edited:
I remember that time all too well and I have to admit that my opinion and respect for Charles jumped up immensely by his actions when his ex-wife and mother of his sons died tragically in Paris and Charles, instead of thinking of Diana as the ex-wife and out of his life, showed the utmost respect and caring for not only Diana and her sons bur also to Diana's sisters at that time.

He didn't have to act that way at all. He chose to. Any and all animosity that ever existed between him and Diana went out the window and showed a caring and compassionate man that valued Diana as a person regardless of any troubles between them.

In my book, Charles was the bigger man doing what he felt was right in his heart. Not because of his status or his sons or because of any other reason that he felt he wanted to be there for Diana. Their marriage may have been a disaster but Charles' actions proved to me that there were things about Diana that he did cherish and respect.

Charles showed the true colors of the man he really is at that time.

I remember that time all too well and I have to admit that my opinion and respect for Charles jumped up immensely by his actions when his ex-wife and mother of his sons died tragically in Paris and Charles, instead of thinking of Diana as the ex-wife and out of his life, showed the utmost respect and caring for not only Diana and her sons bur also to Diana's sisters at that time.

He didn't have to act that way at all. He chose to. Any and all animosity that ever existed between him and Diana went out the window and showed a caring and compassionate man that valued Diana as a person regardless of any troubles between them.

In my book, Charles was the bigger man doing what he felt was right in his heart. Not because of his status or his sons or because of any other reason that he felt he wanted to be there for Diana. Their marriage may have been a disaster but Charles' actions proved to me that there were things about Diana that he did cherish and respect.

Charles showed the true colors of the man he really is at that time.

Their relationship was actually pretty good for the last year. I can’t find the article now, but it’s from the Daily Express a day or so ago, referring to how Charles, William and Harry were grateful after Diana’s death that they had that year or so where the Wales’ were on good terms. That said, I agree with you completely. What Charles couldn’t give her in life, he tried to in death - he wasn’t going to leave her to come home alone.

Actions do speak louder than words and when Prince Charles came out of the room where she was on view to loved ones it was reported he had cried the whole time while with her. Only he knows if it is true or not, but I would like to think that he was truly saddened and shocked by her sudden horrific death.

My only reservation was how he was always worried about how he was perceived by the general public and I hope that had nothing to do with his decision to go get her along with her two sisters. The boys had to truly be at the forefront of his mind. As Betsypaige mentioned that last year they were actually getting along better and there are video excerpts with them smiling and joking with each other. In one they gave each other a peck on the cheek...so he had a heart after their war had died down after all.

I will never forget that night as it was late and my father called me and said he had heard she had passed and my wife burst out crying. Our hearts fell as we thought about all the homeless people out there and the children that depended on her guiding money to their causes.

I knew there were people out in the world that didn't like her and they focused on her weaknesses rather than her strengths, but for me she was very human. Much was done against her by the trash media, grey suits, CPB and the Prince as well, yet she was beginning to overcome all of that in the last year of her life. Yes, I knew the childish or immature things she did in her life, but as humans we need to look at the things that she did that were important to and for all humans. She was not done...a life unfinished.

Actions do speak louder than words and when Prince Charles came out of the room where she was on view to loved ones it was reported he had cried the whole time while with her. Only he knows if it is true or not, but I would like to think that he was truly saddened and shocked by her sudden horrific death.

My only reservation was how he was always worried about how he was perceived by the general public and I hope that had nothing to do with his decision to go get her along with her two sisters. The boys had to truly be at the forefront of his mind. As Betsypaige mentioned that last year they were actually getting along better and there are video excerpts with them smiling and joking with each other. In one they gave each other a peck on the cheek...so he had a heart after their war had died down after all.

I will never forget that night as it was late and my father called me and said he had heard she had passed and my wife burst out crying. Our hearts fell as we thought about all the homeless people out there and the children that depended on her guiding money to their causes.

I knew there were people out in the world that didn't like her and they focused on her weaknesses rather than her strengths, but for me she was very human. Much was done against her by the trash media, grey suits, CPB and the Prince as well, yet she was beginning to overcome all of that in the last year of her life. Yes, I knew the childish or immature things she did in her life, but as humans we need to look at the things that she did that were important to and for all humans. She was not done...a life unfinished.

I think if Charles were concerned with public reaction at the time, he wouldn’t have gone as he could have assumed that the public would have been furious with him all over again, and wouldn’t have wanted him anywhere near Diana. I truly think his only concerns were his sons and bringing their mummy home.

I think I read that about Charles crying when he was viewing Diana. There must have been so much left unsaid, even though they had been in better terms. There must have been so much regret about all the pain they’d caused each other. William and Harry were going to grow up without the mummy who loved them so - devastating.

I admit, I wasn’t a fan of Diana - not a hater, but I always just loved Charles. She was a good person who had so much more to offer the world - and she was just way too young to die. I probably appreciate her more now than I did then.

Like many of us, I'll never forget the shocking news that Sunday morning or that sorrowful week. My children were of similar ages to William and Harry so my thoughts were about how devastating the loss of their mother would be and how deeply sad it was that they were going to grow up without her love and support. I know I hated the tabloid press even more than usual that week as they sought out people to criticise the Queen and ran emotive headlines demanding that she should be back in London. I didn't know anybody who felt animosity towards the Queen for staying in Balmoral with her grieving grandsons. I've always felt it was a whipped-up media story about an angry public that was proven to be false the minute the Queen arrived in London and was greeted warmly by the crowds.

I had a very busy life back then with a demanding job, children, house to run etc but I had a pit in my stomach all week. Like most of the country, we didn't live in London so I remember being glued to the BBC news and special programmes every evening and feeling tearful at the sight of the growing carpet of flowers, the poignant messages and most of all at night, the little candles amongst the photos.

i'm unsure why charles going to paris to recover diana's body was not approved by the queen, if he wished to do it. he was her ex husband and the father of her children. why was this not approved?

having said that, i wouldn't necessarily judge him negatively if he had not come to paris and let the coffin arrive by the means proposed by the queen. he had 2 sons who lost their mother to care for, and funerals are always stressful events to organise, let alone when you're in the royal family.

in any case, i am glad he could make the trip as he wished.

i'm unsure why charles going to paris to recover diana's body was not approved by the queen, if he wished to do it. he was her ex husband and the father of her children. why was this not approved?

having said that, i wouldn't necessarily judge him negatively if he had not come to paris and let the coffin arrive by the means proposed by the queen. he had 2 sons who lost their mother to care for, and funerals are always stressful events to organise, let alone when you're in the royal family.

in any case, i am glad he could make the trip as he wished.

The queen did not regard Diana as a member of the RF and felt that it was up to teh Spencer family to look after funeral arrangements.

Yes, the Queen felt that Diana's funeral should be a private one. Out of sight, out of mind, perhaps.
However, HM and other members of the Royal Family, (including William and Harry) were sequestered up in Balmoral and therefore were unaware of the general mood in England and around the world for quite some time.

The Queen in my view seemed to ignore the reaction in London signified by the growing floral tributes around the Palaces until it could be ignored no longer.

As much as I love the Queen, I admire Charles for standing up to his mother and insisting that he bring back Diana's body.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/prince-charles-refused-harry-carry-22559465

Here's a clip from The Windsors, which will be returning on 9/6/20. It's heartbreaking - and perhaps revealing for those who thought Charles never loved or cared about Diana.

What network is The Windsor airing?

What network is The Windsors airing?

Back
Top Bottom