Lady Sarah McCorquodale (née Spencer) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George's looks have really changed, perhaps because of weight gain. He and Harry used to look so much more alike.

I hadn't realised that George was also based in South Africa until i read their wedding website.

Lady Sarah does not seem in the photo from the article to be aging gracefully. Isn't she just 55? It doesn't look like she has her mother's genes ?:);):)
Also, I hope Lady Sarah likes to ride the hunt with the band on live foxes.

She had some health issues around her upbringing, she had Anorexia, drank heavily as a teenager, and smokes, plus time outdoors a lot can add up, not to mention family drama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Numerous people assume Lady Sarah Spencer was born with the title of Her Ladyship. However this is not true. Sarah did not become Lady Sarah until 1975 when her father became the 8th Earl Spencer.

That's true, before that all the Spencer girls/young women were called "The Honorable" before their names, i believe.

Numerous people assume Lady Sarah Spencer was born with the title of Her Ladyship. However this is not true. Sarah did not become Lady Sarah until 1975 when her father became the 8th Earl Spencer.

If I don't mistake, Her Ladyship is a form of address (and not a title) used to address to Baronesses, Countesses and Marchionesses. So Her Ladyship isn't and has never been the proper form of address to Lady Sarah.

It would appear Harry is spending the remainder of the summer doing conservation work in south africa - perfect timing for his cousin George's wedding in a weeks time.

When Lady Sarah Spencer was dating Prince Charles, she learned that a mere weekend at Windsor Castle demanded a suitcase full of clothes. A typical day might require a riding habit for Her Ladyship for the morning, a day-dress for lunch, a skirt for tea, and a long dress for dinner.

Yes? of course a lot of house parties involve a lot of clothes changing esp for women. I harldy think that Sarah S had to wait till she was dating Charles to find that out.

If I don't mistake, Her Ladyship is a form of address (and not a title) used to address to Baronesses, Countesses and Marchionesses. So Her Ladyship isn't and has never been the proper form of address to Lady Sarah.

No its perfectly correct but it would be more usual to call her "LAdy Sarah".

Last edited by a moderator:
DM takes every opportunity to make Harry to look like some rogue party playboy. If Will went, he would be traveling to support his beloved cousin, and so on with much more about Diana. Harry is in Africa 'pursuing his interests aka a hobby not work, and is hoping for more than cake, planning on taking advantage of the no picture rule to go wild and party :bang:

That DM article is basically a lift from the couple's wedding website including the naughty boy from England which how George described himself. It isn't some hatchet job on Harry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That DM article is basically a lift from the couple's wedding website including the naughty boy from England which how George described himself. It isn't some hatchet job on Harry.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

No. :bang: I highly doubt George's site was about Harry being a wild bachelor. I would venture to guess it is about him and his fiancé :whistling:

Yes, the ONE LINE was about George. The rest of it was Harry

Harry, who will remain in South Africa for a few weeks to work on conservation projects dear to his heart, may however be hoping for slightly more than just a decent slice of wedding cake.

It goes on to explain the no photos rule will allow Harry to 'enjoy more than cake' :whistling: Without cameras.

The whole naughty line was thrown in to compare wild Harry to his now settling down cousin.

For an article you claim is from the wedding site, speaks very little of the couple:ermm:

Of course it is mostly going to be about HARry since people don't know mcuh about George McC

Do weddings have guests of honor? I thought that was supposed to be the bride and groom. :p I am quite sure Harry will let them have the day!

I'm sure he will but the Media is going to talk about him..

Lady Sarah does not seem in the photo from the article to be aging gracefully. Isn't she just 55? It doesn't look like she has her mother's genes ?:);):)
Also, I hope Lady Sarah likes to ride the hunt with the band on live foxes.

Diana was the youngest of the Spencer girls and she would have been 55 on July 1st this year. Not sure what the age difference between the girls is/was, but guessing Sarah is closer to 60 by now.

Sarah Spencer McCorqudale was a 'honeymoon baby' as her mother described her, born nine months after her parents' wedding in June 1954. So Sarah, born early in 1955, is 61. (Strangely, for years I thought of Diana's sister Jane as the eldest Spencer child and Sarah as the rebellious middle one, but Jane is two years younger than her sister.)

Jane seems a sensible calm person, whereas Sarah comes across to me as a tiresome "rebellious" type, who has mercifully settled down and led a quiet life since her days of dating Charles. however she was stupid and indiscreet then.. and I am not sure that she and Di got on that well a lot of the time though Diana did turn to her to take care of the boys if anything happened to her and she has been there for thtem.

I think that there was a bit of rivalry between them, when Sarah was dating Charles, I thik she was a bit iffy about Charles chatting to her baby sister. But they seem to have been good enough friends most of the time.. and she did ask for Sarah to look after the boys in the even of her dying.. Poor Diana I suppose she never really thoguth that that would happen... I think that Di got on well with Jane as she use to visit her when She was single and J was having her first baby....

Last edited:
Sarah did act as a lady in waiting for Diana at times...

Yes, although I don't think Sarah enjoyed the role very much. A bit too impatient and fiery, I suppose. Even though Sarah was happily married I think there was also still a tiny niggle as well that her younger sister had captured a prince and she had let him slip through her fingers!

Yes, Even though Sarah was happily married I think there was also still a tiny niggle as well that her younger sister had captured a prince and she had let him slip through her fingers!
I think she had a bit of perpetual ill- temper about that, and I honestly don't like her much, from what I know. I think she didnt really want Charles herself but was a bit miffed that Diana had gotten him, even when she knew that Diana was unhappy with him...
I gather she was pretty difficult to deal with in the Diana Mem Fund, and then she upset the godchildren. I wonder why Diana did seem to think of her first though as someone to look after the children, if she died...
I understand that she did give them some mothering... but I would have probably felt it was better to name Jane. Perhaps Jane being married to a courtier, put her off? Or J's children were older?

Last edited:
Both Sarah, Jane and their families have stayed well out of the spotlight media wise; in the last few years Charles' girls, particularly Kitty have raised their profile quite a bit.

I read somewhere that Harry was attending George's wedding during his time in SA; again, low profile, so not expecting to see much about it anywhere.

yes at least the girls (sorry they seem girls to me!) Sarah and Jane have mostly been sensible during Diana's lifetime and since and stayed out of media notice. And their children aren't known at all. Somoene wrote once (I Can't remember where I read this) that perhaps Sarah was more sensible than Diana, that both of them had problems that made them volatile, they both had eating disorders, but Sarah while she might have had a chance of marrying Charles (Slim but possible) had settled for a quiet life with a gent farmer husband and avoided the stress of life in the RF, which Diana went into.. That perhaps Diana needed a similar life to be happy and comfortable, a nice quiet husband, kids, a bit of work to do but no public appearances and low stress...

Ultimately Diana craved stability and for someone to love her forever, no matter what. Marrying the, 'only man in England who can never divorce me' seemed to be a good idea at the time.

LaRae

I think that there was a bit of rivalry between them, when Sarah was dating Charles, I thik she was a bit iffy about Charles chatting to her baby sister. But they seem to have been good enough friends most of the time.. and she did ask for Sarah to look after the boys in the even of her dying.. Poor Diana I suppose she never really thoguth that that would happen... I think that Di got on well with Jane as she use to visit her when She was single and J was having her first baby....

Well, I think Sarah dated Charles as a slap in the face to the Duke of Westminster, who had just dumped her.
Charles was trying to cheer her up and the press exaggerated the whole thing.

Anyway, she and Diana did clash occasionally, but Diana did keep her sisters supplied with designer clothes.

I'm sure that Sarah considered the possibility that he might take her as a serious girlfriend, but it did not happen. She didn't really have much in common with him and she was stupid enough to talk to the press.
So I think she had a twinge of jealousy for a long time that Diana had got him and she had wrecked her chances.

Back
Top Bottom