Lady Jane Fellowes (née Spencer) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CasiraghiTrio

Heir Apparent , TRF Author, Royal Blogger
City
Burbank
Country
United States
Lady Jane, Baroness Fellowes (*11 February 1957) and Sir Robert, Baron Fellowes (*1941), married in March 1978 at Westminster Abbey.

Hon. Laura Jane Fellowes*19 July 1980**Graduated from Edinburgh University
Hon. Alexander Robert Fellowes*23 March 1983**Goes by the nickname of Alex
Hon. Eleanor Ruth Fellowes*20 August 1985

Baron Fellowes of Shotesham (Norfolk) was Private Secretary, and before Assistant Private Secretary, to HM the Queen, for about two decades. During his royal service he had use of a house called the 'Old Barracks' in the grounds of Kensington Palace and also a cottage on the Balmoral estate. Baron Fellowes hails from Norfolk, where he began life on the Sandringham estate as son of HM's Land Agent for Sandringham.

SOURCES
*Wikipedia the Free Encyclopedia: Robert Fellowes, Baron Fellowes
*Ibid: Jane Fellowes, Baroness Fellowes
*Diana in Private, by Lady Colin Campbell (info. about homes during royal service)

The Honourable Laura Jane Fellowes :photo:
Springtime 1986 (Rex) The press had a heads up she would be one of the bridesmaids in the upcoming York wedding. ;)
Skiing with cousin Wills at Lech, Austria in 1992 (Rex)

The Honourable Alexander Robert Fellowes and the Honourable Eleanor Ruth Fellowes
With cousins Harry and Emily in 1989 for wedding of uncle Charles and Victoria Lockwood (Rex)
"Alex Fellowes" studied at Eton College and Oxford University. It was reported in 2005 that he was a member of Oxford's wild Bullingdon drinking society.* The Daily Mail suggested that his nickname among friends is Beetle. According to the Oxford Student paper, Alexander Fellowes studied Classics at Trinity College.**

SOURCES
*The Guardian Unlimited, 18 October 2005 and The Times (London), 18 January 2005
**See story and picture in the Oxford Student about the "Bullingdon brawl" that got him a fine and a night in jail.

It is interesting that Fellowes was first cousin to Sarah Ferguson. I think she called him "Bellowes" when exasperated with him. The two of them were also related to Princess Alice of Gloucester - or at least Fergie was. So interesting. Thanks for the interesting thread.

:D "Bellowes".... I forgot about that.

According to Wikipedia, his maternal grandfather was also paternal grandfather of Sarah, Duchess of York. I guess they were first cousins then, as it seems Robert's mother, Jane (not to be confused with his wife) was Major Ron's sister.

According to the same source, the baron is now Chairman of Barclays Private Banking. He returned to banking industry, where he was working before his royal service.
He is also on the boards of a handful of organizations, committees, etc.
* Director and trustee, the Rhodes Trust
* Director and trustee, the Mandela-Rhodes Foundation
* Director and trustee, the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
* Chairman, the Prison Reform Trust
* Vice-Chairman, the Commonwealth Institute

pls. post a pictures of Lady Jane children thnaks

Here is a special picture of Lady Diana and Lady Jane, back to back in the Italian Garden at Althorp.

Source information
The late (eighth) Earl Spencer, father of the subjects, was the photographer.
The photo from the photographer's private collection was reproduced in Andrew Morton's Diana: Her True Story with permission of the present (ninth) Earl Spencer.

15 SEP 1989 Diana, Wills, Harry with Frances Shand Kydd, Eleanor and Alex Fellowes at Althorp estate for wedding of Diana's brother, then Viscount Althorp. Frances is holding Eleanor's hand. Alex is walking next to William. Doesn't Alex look so much like Lord Fellowes? :)

Fellowes and McCorquodale families arriving for Diana's funeral Lord Fellowes holding the hands of son Alex and Eleanor. Laura walks ahead with Emily McCorquodale. Laura has the reddish hair, wearing brown suit. Neil and George McCorquodale ("prince harry lookalike") walks behind Alex, Eleanor, and Lord Fellowes.

Four pics of Lady Jane, Lady Fellowes

SOURCE: ABACA

Last edited:
The Honourable Alexander Robert Fellowes and the Honourable Eleanor Ruth Fellowes
With cousins Harry and Emily in 1989 for wedding of uncle Charles and Victoria Lockwood (Rex)
"Alex Fellowes" studied at Eton College and Oxford University. It was reported in 2005 that he was a member of Oxford's wild Bullingdon drinking society.* The Daily Mail suggested that his nickname among friends is Beetle. According to the Oxford Student paper, Alexander Fellowes studied Classics at Trinity College.**

SOURCES
*The Guardian Unlimited, 18 October 2005 and The Times (London), 18 January 2005
**See story and picture in the Oxford Student about the "Bullingdon brawl" that got him a fine and a night in jail.

Pictures: Alex Fellowes in 1989, 1992, and 2007
Sources: Profimedia, Abaca, Rex, and Getty

It's interesting that Lady Jane continued her family's tradition of marrying the older man (like Diana, their mother, and even their grandmother Ruth Fermoy)... but this marriage seems to have been successful in contrast to the others.

You're right. I didn't think of it before. Lord Fellowes was born in 1941, Lady Jane in 1957. Although she was the middle sister, I think her personality and temperment was older than both of her sisters. Maybe she and Lord Fellowes are of equal maturity in mind, and perhaps the huge gap of chronological difference is just that, chronology. :)

You're right, CasiraghiTrio, I think. I know Sarah is reputed to be quite fiery, but I've never heard that Jane was a handful. I have the impression that she's a very pleasant, calm person.

You're right, CasiraghiTrio, I think. I know Sarah is reputed to be quite fiery, but I've never heard that Jane was a handful. I have the impression that she's a very pleasant, calm person.

Indeed.... it has sometimes been said the "quiet ones" are the trouble, but in Jane's case, it certainly doesn't seem true. The nanny Mark Clarke who published her memoirs about her experience with the Spencers at Park House said she always called Jane the family "peacekeeper," and even went so far as to say she found Jane to have a strong diplomatic quality very unlike the fiesty Sarah and Diana. Well, she didn't use a word like fiesty for Diana. I can't remember exactly how she described Diana, honestly.

What ghastly bridesmaids dresses...but it was the 70's. So I will give it a pass.

I've always liked the picture of the young Diana and the young Jane posing in the garden. Its a nice contrast of my mental picture of Lady Jane giving a reading at Diana's funeral.

And I love the red hair! Harry definitely carries the look of the Spencers.

I think her personality and temperment was older than both of her sisters. :)

Lady Jane is serious in personality and temperment. Diana, Princess of Wales was very close to Jane when she was on her own in London.
Diana was given access to the BRF and Prince Charles through Lady Jane and Lord Fellows. But after Diana lied to her brother-in-law, Jane was not that close. I believe that when Diana died she and Jane were not talking.
Jane when she got to the Paris hospital asked if Diana died alone and cried. I think It took a long while before Lady Jane could stop griefing for Diana.:flowers:

If she had lied to me about her involvement with that book, I wouldn't be on the best terms with her either. :flowers:

I think over ten years after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales
Lord Fellowes must have mellowed towards her. During the 1992 book
they were not on best of terms.:)

Even though Fellowes was significantly older than the Spencer children, I found it very interesting that he shared one of their earliest teachers, Miss Gertrude Allen. I suspect that the Fellowes family mingled with the Spencers socially in the Sandringham area, although I've never seen that confirmed (and thus two of the Spencer girls married older neighborhood bachelors).

Sarah married a relative of Countess Raine Spencer. Does anyone know if he an older man like Lord Fellows and Prince Charles?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Neil McCorquodale and Lady Sarah Spencer are only a few years apart in age - four or five, maybe?

Anyone got the latest photos of the fellowes children? Diana and Jane looked similar in some pictures when they were growing up just wandering whether her girls look anything like Diana when she was growing up.

I saw a small film of the order of service of Laura Fellowes' wedding and I noticed that I Vow to Thee, My Country was performed at the wedding (as at her aunt's). And it was said that the bride wore her grandmother's dress, I presume this would be Frances's but I'm not sure.

If I may ask were did you see the film? I would love to see it. I wonder if it was Frances's dress. I remember seeing pictures of Diana's mothers wedding it was a lovely dress. It was said to be one of the most lavish weddings in that time.

Yes, Frances was a lovely bride. I'll try to post the site but I found it by doing a yahoo search of Laura Fellowes wedding. Here it is: www.spaldingtoday.co.uk./news/Prince-William-Kate-Middleton-snapped.5344568.jp

It was disappointing that all I found was a film of the document the Order of Service but not the actual participants or the dress. I think the dress had been re-made so I'm not sure how accurate the photos of Frances's dress would be to what this bride wore. The film was also very off-center so what you can glean from it is limited.

Alexander Fellowes read a prayer, according to the Order of Service.

:previous:
Did Prince William attend Laura's wedding? :)

Back
Top Bottom