Hasnat Khan

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly can't imagine this happening. I can see her possibly marrying Khan, if he'd have her and her always-accompanying publicity; but I can't see her fading into the background in any way. For one thing, I think that she had a great need to draw attention to the causes she believed in. I think that she would have become dissatisfied with Khan, because doctors work very long hours. He wouldn't have been able to spend a lot of time with her; and I don't think that she could stand that.

I am with you on this one. No way would Diana have faded into the background. She simply couldn't have lived without all the attention but also she was the mother of the future King and so it wan't an option.

However I don't think the marriage would have lasted as she was too demanding on men and I simply don't think she would appreciate the emergency calls at 3.00 am or the calls in the middle of dinner etc.

I agree, I can't see Diana being the doctor's wife and being content to stay in the backround. She was too high profile and even though she protested about the attention she received from the press, she did thrive in it, when she wanted to.
Dr. Khan would have been the one having difficulty. It wouldn't have been easy being married to Diana as the media plus the paparazzi would be camped at the hospital and his medical office hoping for snaps of him. It would have been a nightmare for the doctor and his patients, let alone his patient's privacy. The doctor's schedule would have been an inconvenience for Diana since he would have call and leave if needed in the OR so he couldn't attend functions with her all the time. A marriage wouldn't have worked, Diana stated at one time that she would have converted to Islam, but I doubt it would have happened. (If they were to marry.)

IMO, it wasn't just that she was the mother of the future king, but Diana would never wanted to fade into the background. Despite all the horrors the paparazzi put her through, she loved celebrity and being in the spotlight. Diana wasn't just a royal, she was star and that was what made her so important. If married Dr. Khan, she would have brought lots of publicity and donations to whichever cause he admired, but he that was the exact opposite of what he wanted. In order the be Mrs. Khan, she had would have to give up the one thing she always craved and had going for her: the spotlight.

We mention her parents' divorce scarring her, but remember, she was the overlooked youngest daughter in the family. Not to sound like Henry VIII, but I think she once said was suppose to be a boy. She had an elder brother who was stillborn. They needed a son to succeed the earldom and didn't even have a name ready when it turned out to be "another" girl. So even though her parents' divorce made her want a loving husband, she also craved attention due to the circumstances of her birth.

In order the be Mrs. Khan, she had would have to give up the one thing she always craved and had going for her: the spotlight..
Why would she have to give up the spotlight? At her death she wanted to become an ambassador for Great Britain.

We mention her parents' divorce scarring her, but remember, she was the overlooked youngest daughter in the family. Not to sound like Henry VIII, but I think she once said was suppose to be a boy. She had an elder brother who was stillborn. They needed a son to succeed the earldom and didn't even have a name ready when it turned out to be "another" girl. So even though her parents' divorce made her want a loving husband, she also craved attention due to the circumstances of her birth.
This thought EmpressRouge is very insightful about the circumstances of her birth. I think if Diana, Princess of Wales was in a loving relationship with her spouse the craved attention would be on him and not on press.
I think it would have to be a special man.:flowers:

Why would she have to give up the spotlight? At her death she wanted to become an ambassador for Great Britain

I would think the main reason would be that its often been stated that one thing Dr. Khan found negative about his relationship with Diana was all the publicity and media coverage that came with her. I think that is why we really know so little about Diana's relationship with Haznat. It was kept totally private and Dr. Khan says very little. I think I agree with the statement too that you made that if Diana was in a loving relationship, she'd totally focus on that rather than the public and the media. That's why I said she'd probably have very happily faded into the background as a doctor's wife except for occasions where she needed to be present for her sons.

I think I agree with the statement too that you made that if Diana was in a loving relationship, she'd totally focus on that rather than the public and the media. That's why I said she'd probably have very happily faded into the background as a doctor's wife except for occasions where she needed to be present for her sons.
Definitely. I think you can see in her see it in the evolution of her fashion choices. In the early years of her marriage, she stuck with very tradition royal wardrobe and low heels so not to tower over Prince Charles. But as her marriage soured, her fashion choices became more daring and the stilettos came out. Perfect example: the low cut dress that knocked Charles off the front pages the morning after he admitted infidelity in an interview.

It was more than Dr. Khan who did not like the attention. His family did not approve of the publicity. Supposedly when she made charity visits to Pakistan (with friend Jemima Khan), she was trying to make a good impression on Dr. Khan's family, but to no avail.

Last edited:
Let's stick to general information on Mr. Khan.

Since the couple did not marry and Diana did in fact die, its does not good to speculate the What If's?

I greatly admire Princess Diana, however I cant help but feel so sorry for her in that she was never truly happy in love (when it came to spouses). From what I have gathered, it appears that Diana was deeply infatuated with Dr Khan, but unfortunately for her it did not work out. I do believe that Dr Khan was probably the most sincere and benevolent lover to enter her life, even after her death he did not disclose their intimate moments to make money even though it would not really hurt her. Contrast this to James Hewitt who sold his story knowing for sure that Diana would be hurt! What a disgusting character! For this, I respect Dr Khan greatly. With all due respect to Dr Khan, he was not exactly Brad Pitt but possessed a charming simplicity about him which indicated to me that Diana was not attracted to one's physical appearance or personal wealth but really the nature of their heart (excuse the pun). This convinces me that Diana's "relationship" with Dodi was probably just a casual romance to dissipate the sorrow of the breaking of this relationship. I personally would have liked to see Dr Khan and Diana celebrate their love through marriage because for me it would be the union of two very compatible people in that they both spent their working careers for the benefit of others. Also, it would have been good to see that their love for one another transcended the issues of cultural differences. It is indeed a very cruel irony that Diana who "wanted to give love [to everyone]" could never be the recepient of it herself. Also, I must admit I sympathise with Dr Khan aswell, perhaps if he was more confident in pursuing marriage, Diana would not have mixed with Dodi and she might be with us today as Dr Khan's wife. With Diana now gone I wish Dr Khan the very best with his new wife and I know Diana will look down on him very fondly.

Last edited:
I greatly admire Princess Diana, however I cant help but feel so sorry for her in that she was never truly happy in love (when it came to spouses). From what I have gathered, it appears that Diana was deeply infatuated with Dr Khan, but unfortunately for her it did not work out. I do believe that Dr Khan was probably the most sincere and benevolent lover to enter her life, even after her death he did not disclose their intimate moments to make money even though it would not really hurt her. Contrast this to James Hewitt who sold his story knowing for sure that Diana would be hurt! What a disgusting character! For this, I respect Dr Khan greatly. With all due respect to Dr Khan, he was not exactly Brad Pitt but possessed a charming simplicity about him which indicated to me that Diana was not attracted to one's physical appearance or personal wealth but really the nature of their heart (excuse the pun). This convinces me that Diana's "relationship" with Dodi was probably just a casual romance to dissipate the sorrow of the breaking of this relationship. I personally would have liked to see Dr Khan and Diana celebrate their love through marriage because for me it would be the union of two very compatible people in that they both spent their working careers for the benefit of others. Also, it would have been good to see that their love for one another transcended the issues of cultural differences. It is indeed a very cruel irony that Diana who "wanted to give love [to everyone]" could never be the recepient of it herself. Also, I must admit I sympathise with Dr Khan aswell, perhaps if he was more confident in pursuing marriage, Diana would not have mixed with Dodi and she might be with us today as Dr Khan's wife. With Diana now gone I wish Dr Khan the very best with his new wife and I know Diana will look down on him very fondly.

You bring up some very very valid points.

RestinpeaceDiana beautifully written. I real agree with the parts that are bolded.

Just a cruel irony. Diana, Princess of Wales died because her heart got injuried in the accident. I read that Dr. Kahn wished he was there to save her.

RestinpeaceDiana beautifully written. I real agree with the parts that are bolded.

Just a cruel irony. Diana, Princess of Wales died because her heart got injuried in the accident. I read that Dr. Kahn wished he was there to save her.

Yes I have read that too, infact here is an extract by Paul Burrell in which he details how Dr Khan was painfully regretting the condition from which Diana died.
'I could have saved Diana,' wept Hasnat | Mail Online
Apparently she had a ruptured aorta which I thought (being a medical student) would be fatal if not treated within minutes of the accident, but I am no expert cardiothoracic surgeon as Dr Khan is so I suppose my judgements dont really compare to his.
The article also documents a little bit about the nature of their relationship which I think is quite interesting since very little information is actually around, it really does give the impression that Diana was hopelessly in love with the man. You are right it is indeed a tragic irony that the man who fixed the hearts of strangers could not mend the broken heart of his dearest lover. However, I think it is important that we bear in mind that Burrell might be exaggerating some things to make his book more appealing but if his description of Dr Khan's behaviour is mildly true then I can't help but sympathise with the man. I hope he does not feel like he was responsible for her death. I have seen an article of an interview he gave once saying that he "felt like screaming in pain" which leads me to think that he really did reciprocate her love however, tragically for him she was gone before he could reconcile her. Now after 14 years Dr Khan is with his new wife and I really hope he is happy with her because I can say with conviction that the ghost of Diana looks upon him with great affection.

Zonk said:
Well I wasn't counting James Hewitt as one of the men who Diana loved. I think they both needed something at the time and they provided it to each other. An attraction, comfort, etc. If James truly loved Diana he wouldn't have sold her out. I think his selling of Diana has caused his life to run off course.

Hasnat loved Diana but not enought to overcome religious issues and the fame that was attached to her.

Charles loved Diana but their love couldn't overcome their issues and incompatability, and honestly, Camilla was always his true love.

And before anyone goes there, I am just keeping it basic. I am well aware of the issues that Diana had with both men that were of her making.

My point in my initial statement is that Diana died without having someone who truly loved her for her. Issues and all. And I am certainly not counting Dodi.

Yes you are correct. I completely agree in that I feel Diana's relationships with Hewitt and Dodi were both facultative relationships. I believe Hewitt was an escape from the troubles she had with Charles in the late 80s and early 90s whilst Dodi was a way to dissipate the relationship breakdown between her and Dr Khan. However, having said that one wonders why she started seeing Dodi before breaking up with the doctor, I guess it was probably because she felt her relationship with Khan had stagnated in the sense that he did not wish to go public about it, so she seeked short term rewards by seeing Dodi. In fact, many of her friends including Rosa Monckton admit that she was still upset on the trip and still missed the doctor. As for Hewitt and Dodi it's obvious that they were in it for social advancement and probably personal satisfaction (since it probably satisfied their egos to be romancing with the most glamourous woman in the world). However, coming back to Khan, it would have been interesting to have seen how Diana's relationship with him would have developed (or not) upon her return. Perhaps their transient time apart would have made them realise how much they miss being with one another so I guess they could have potentially got back together. It would have also been interesting how Diana would have handled Dodi in this situation because needless to say, after having showered upon her constant expensive gifts and luxuries, Dodi would have been expecting something in return, I am sure he would not be delighted to learn of Dr Khan and Diana might just have seen his more impetuous side.

Last edited:
Poor Khan has had to move to Malaysia to disensnare himself from the late Princess of Wales. I don't know if he has "talked" for money, but he certainly did talk.

Poor Khan has had to move to Malaysia to disensnare himself from the late Princess of Wales. I don't know if he has "talked" for money, but he certainly did talk.

KittyAtlanta they last I hear of Dr. Khan was that he moved back to Britain and married a doctor there.

Did he move to Malaysia?
When did he talk to the press?

Yes you are correct. I completely agree in that I feel Diana's relationships with Hewitt and Dodi were both facultative relationships. I believe Hewitt was an escape from the troubles she had with Charles in the late 80s and early 90s whilst Dodi was a way to dissipate the relationship breakdown between her and Dr Khan. However, having said that one wonders why she started seeing Dodi before breaking up with the doctor, I guess it was probably because she felt her relationship with Khan had stagnated in the sense that he did not wish to go public about it, so she seeked short term rewards by seeing Dodi. In fact, many of her friends including Rosa Monckton admit that she was still upset on the trip and still missed the doctor. As for Hewitt and Dodi it's obvious that they were in it for social advancement and probably personal satisfaction (since it probably satisfied their egos to be romancing with the most glamourous woman in the world). However, coming back to Khan, it would have been interesting to have seen how Diana's relationship with him would have developed (or not) upon her return. Perhaps their transient time apart would have made them realise how much they miss being with one another so I guess they could have potentially got back together. It would have also been interesting how Diana would have handled Dodi in this situation because needless to say, after having showered upon her constant expensive gifts and luxuries, Dodi would have been expecting something in return, I am sure he would not be delighted to learn of Dr Khan and Diana might just have seen his more impetuous side.

Beautifully expressed RestinpeaceDiana. Agree strongly with what is bold above.

I would think a physician would understand that bulimia and depression are mental illnesses. I agree that she had every right to expect her husband to be faithful, but it is extremely odd that a physician believes that it was normal for Diana throw herself down a flight of stairs or cut herself. Unfortunately the people around Princess Diana never really seemed to understand that she didn't need people to validate her behavior, she needed help controlling her destructive impulses.

Is it possible that Diana presented a different "face" to Dr. Khan? Or perhaps he brought out of the best in her. I find it odd that he's 53 and not yet married. Perhaps he's a workaholic.

I would think a physician would understand that bulimia and depression are mental illnesses. I agree that she had every right to expect her husband to be faithful, but it is extremely odd that a physician believes that it was normal for Diana throw herself down a flight of stairs or cut herself.

Diana, Princess of Wales when she dated Dr. Khan was free from bulimia. Her last years she was fighting for a divorce settlement with the Prince. I think Hasnat only saw a woman trying to get out of a bad marriage. Princess Diana was also very needed with the doctor's time and affection. If anything was wrong with Diana it would be her neediness.

I so wish those two had gotten their happy ending. I believe they did love one another deeply, and if they had been willing to commit and make sacrifices would have been able to have something beautiful and special together.

Thinking about what might have been is simply heartbreaking. :ermm:

I so wish those two had gotten their happy ending. I believe they did love one another deeply, and if they had been willing to commit and make sacrifices would have been able to have something beautiful and special together.

I'm not so convinced it was real love on Diana's side. If so, why Dodi? I rather think she was, probably subconciously, trying out classical types of "heroes" - first the Prince, then the "powerful police protection officer", then "the dashing Guard", after that "the successful businessman", then "the reknown heart-surgeon" and in the end the "billionaire from 1001 Nights".
Always searching for "Mr. Right". Sad, but pathetic, too.

Same here. Agree 100% with what you said. Could not have said it better-It is heartbreaking.

I'm not so convinced it was real love on Diana's side. If so, why Dodi? I rather think she was, probably subconciously, trying out classical types of "heroes" - first the Prince, then the "powerful police protection officer", then "the dashing Guard", after that "the successful businessman", then "the reknown heart-surgeon" and in the end the "billionaire from 1001 Nights".
Always searching for "Mr. Right". Sad, but pathetic, too.

I agree. I think she was a rather needy woman but in the end no man could give her the 24/7 attention she seemed to require.

What exactly is real love? You have Hollywood's version and then reality sets in and one realizes loves is a bunch of things. Complicated, imperfect, wonderful, stormy,etc...
I never believed the lady loved Dodi it appeared that they were simply enjoying each other's company nothing serious. I believe she did love Hasnat but he wasn't comfortable with her fame and the attention it would bring to him. I can't blame him and I can't blame her for ending the relationship since it didn't seem they had a future together.

Always searching for "Mr. Right". Sad, but pathetic, too

To each is his own. Some people are content with just being by themselves. For others finding love and having a partner in life is what make him or her happy. It's not pathetic imo.

Hasnat gave an interview not so long ago. He has not been able to have a successful relationship since Diana's death. He spoke very movingly about their plans and dreams for the future, and how many regrets he has that it didn't work out for them.

He has so many regrets and still seems heartbroken over her.

I think she was very fond of Dodi and very grateful to him. I am not sure they would have gone the distance, even though he sounds like he was a sweet guy. In the end I don't believe he was substantial enough for Diana.

We will never know.

New Poster!

Sorry about the bump but just read an article....

Why does everybody call Diana 'clingy' and 'needy'? Where does all this come from?

I think Diana was left with terrible insecurities from her childhood. Her mother leaving the family home when Diana was only small was a devastating blow.

Plus, later in her childhood she knew she was 'only' the third daughter when the Spencer line needed a son, apparently also left her insecure though her father never showed that that was the case. He adored Diana. Her mother loved her too but I don't think Diana ever got over feelings of abandonment relating to those years.

I think she grew up reading Barbara Cartland romance novels and dreaming of a happy ever after, with a husband whom she could love totally and absolutely and who would be completely and utterly devoted to her, always. Charles was a very busy man and couldn't fulfil all those inner needs, even without the Camilla complications.

Nor could the extremely busy surgeon Hasnet Khan, though their romance had other issues. I am a great fan of Diana, but I am not surprised really that everyone from James Hewitt to Charles to Khan and others found her high-maintenance emotional needs exhausting at times, lovely though she was.

Back
Top Bottom