Different Facets of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[ Camilla had her friends do the dirty work for her. Her hands were just as dirty as Diana's.]

Produce evidence please, rather than just slander... ?

Originally Posted by Miss Hathaway View Post
I wonder if Penny is including in this most recent book how Camilla Parker-Bowles assisted The Sun's editor for ten years from 1982 to 1992?

I've heard this story before. Sometimes it is the Sun and sometimes it is the Express. The vast majority of royal watchers acknowledge that the Duchess of Cornwall has never talked to the press. Unlike Diana, who was in constant contact with people like Richard Kay.

It isn't just a story. Stuart Higgins flatly says it. He is on the A&E Biography video about Camilla saying so, and he is quoted in Sally Bedell Smith's book about Diana. Here is a snippet:

". . . Stuart Higgins, editor of The Sun from 1994 to 1998, conducted regular
off-the-record conversations with Camilla Parker Bowles from 1982 to 1992, when he was a reporter and junior editor. He had first known her when he was covering weekend sporting events and when he returned from an assignment in the United States in 1982, he got in touch with her.
"I talked to her once a week for ten years," said Higgins. "I talked to her
about Charles and Diana. She guided me on things that were not true, or things that were off beam. Everything was behind closed doors, and
I didn't write about her, although I spoke to her all the time during that period. . . ."

I dont understand what do you mean here. Are you implying if someone ever did something wrong, no matter what was the reason, these people are forever wrong person?

Diana's stepmother have forgiven her. They even became really good friend at the end. That told a lot about her step mother, but also a lot of Diana. I dont think her step mother would forgive a unrepenting person, right?

You and Dman obviously don't understand that domestic violence is always wrong. It doesn't matter whether someone had to go to the hospital or not, someone is always hurt. It's good that the perpetrator feels remorse later, but that doesn't excuse what happened. It sort of like saying: "well, he shouldn't have murdered her, but look at the pretty flowers he sent to her funeral."

I don't know that Diana was repentant. She certainly didn't seem to be on the Settelin tapes. She actually seemed proud of herself.

It is nice that Diana's stepmother forgave her, whether Diana was repentant or not. It says a lot about Raine Spencer. It's too bad that Diana didn't follow her example. Diana was famous for her tendency to cut off friends over pretty minor matters.

[ Camilla had her friends do the dirty work for her. Her hands were just as dirty as Diana's.]

The evidence is in the articles, books and documentaries of her and Charles's friends slamming Diana. The evidence is in the "Camillagate" tapes of her referring to Diana as a "monster." The evidence is in Camilla carryout a relationship with another woman's husband. Diana did her dirty work and so did Camilla. Nobody hands were clean in that very old situation.

You and Dman obviously don't understand that domestic violence is always wrong. It doesn't matter whether someone had to go to the hospital or not, someone is always hurt. It's good that the perpetrator feels remorse later, but that doesn't excuse what happened. It sort of like saying: "well, he shouldn't have murdered her, but look at the pretty flowers he sent to her funeral."

I don't know that Diana was repentant. She certainly didn't seem to be on the Settelin tapes. She actually seemed proud of herself.

It is nice that Diana's stepmother forgave her, whether Diana was repentant or not. It says a lot about Raine Spencer. It's too bad that Diana didn't follow her example. Diana was famous for her tendency to cut off friends over pretty minor matters.

Somehow you refuse to understand that I've mentioned that domestic violence is wrong. I've said that several times and no one has made any excuses for that incident.

Diana and her stepmother went through a very difficult time because of their own family situation, they moved on from that. From what I understand, there were some major problems between Diana's father and her mother too. The Spencer's may be aristocratic and have very blue blood but they had family issues like many other families out there. It's sad but that's the reality in many families. Everyone should get help if that's needed.

Last edited:

Take the story "Diana warned to kill Camilla" for example. The only two people who knew this would be Camilla or maybe Diana ( I am not sure whether Diana knew this, because according to Penny Junor, Camilla only "thought" the voice was Diana's. I really suspected it, because these two women rarely had any chance to speak to each other. I suspect very much how much familliar Camilla was to Diana's voice.)

Even if Diana had really said these words, she couldnt be the source. Penny Junor would be more than happy to tell the world it was Diana. Considering Junor is in Charles' camp, in no way Diana or Diana's friends would talk this thing to her. So it must be Camilla or her friends who told Junor.

And the source of this story is such a coward that, they had the gut to throw a big accuse on a dead woman who couldnt defend herself, but didnt have the gut to let people know their names.

It isn't just a story. Stuart Higgins flatly says it. He is on the A&E Biography video about Camilla saying so, and he is quoted in Sally Bedell Smith's book about Diana. Here is a snippet:

off-the-record conversations with Camilla Parker Bowles from 1982 to 1992, when he was a reporter and junior editor. He had first known her when he was covering weekend sporting events and when he returned from an assignment in the United States in 1982, he got in touch with her.
about Charles and Diana. She guided me on things that were not true, or things that were off beam. Everything was behind closed doors, and
I didn't write about her, although I spoke to her all the time during that period. . . ."
Thanks. I will check out the biography documentary if it is online. The reason I doubt the veracity is that few negative Diana stories have been broken by The Sun. Most of the media was extraordinarily positive the first few years of the marriage. Things started to turn after Harry's birth, but it wasn't just The Sun.

James Whitacre was the first to report that Diana suffered from an eating disorder and, IIRC, it was the News of the World that first reported Barry Manakee had been transferred because he was too close to Princess Diana. The biggest story broken by The Sun were the edited Squidgygate tapes, but since they were closely followed by unedited Camillagate tapes, it is unlikely Charles or Camilla had anything to do with that.

Originally Posted by Miss Hathaway View Post

I didn't write about her, although I spoke to her all the time during that period. . . .
"

Thanks. I will check out the biography documentary if it is online. The reason I doubt the veracity is that few negative Diana stories have been broken by The Sun. Most of the media was extraordinarily positive the first few years of the marriage. Things started to turn after Harry's birth, but it wasn't just The Sun.

James Whitacre was the first to report that Diana suffered from an eating disorder and, IIRC, it was the News of the World that first reported Barry Manakee had been transferred because he was too close to Princess Diana. The biggest story broken by The Sun were the edited Squidgygate tapes, but since they were closely followed by unedited Camillagate tapes, it is unlikely Charles or Camilla had anything to do with that.

Here are some of the unflattering stories from The Sun:

1982 The Sun reports problems in the marriage. Examples of headlines: "A
Public Bust-up!"....."Pregnant Di Falls down Stairs" "Are Charles and
Diana Moving Apart?"

Throughout 1982, headline coverage on the marriage continues :
"Loveless Marriage" "Disco Diana dumps Charles" "Old Flame the Prince
Won't Forget..." "Fears for Di's Health"

There are other headlines here: The Royals And The Press | Princess And The Press | FRONTLINE | PBS

It was the same when she talked about slapping her father because he married Raine. It was the Settelen tapes that convinced me that Diana was capable of doing the things she was accused of, because she was so remorseless when talking about how she physically hurt people. I agree that she did very good public work, but her personal life was a shambles.

As it has been mentioned that Diana most definitely is an historical figure that will be read about and studied for ages to come, its hit me that, for the most part, what will be the main focus is that Diana was Charles' first wife and all the lurid, sordid details of the War of the Wales will be what people want to know.

I really wish they would have kept their private lives private.

Diana Moving Apart?"

There are other headlines here: The Royals And The Press | Princess And The Press | FRONTLINE | PBS

Thanks. These are interesting headlines but I am not sure how accurate the list is. For example, I can't believe "Disco Diana dumps Charles" was a 1982 headline. She was pregnant with William for more than 6 months and was very involved in taking care of him. I don't think she spent a lot of time in discos until after Harry was born.

I also can't see Camilla being the source of a story entitled "Old flame the Prince Won't Forget..." if the point was keeping his affair out of the headlines. The tabloids often used lurid headlines--as they do now without any sources--(Queen bans drunken Camilla) but most of the media was very positive in the first few years of their marriage.

I remember a very early story that came out about Charles and Diana having an argument while out shooting, with Diana screaming, "You know I didn't want to come!" That one was within the first couple of years of marriage--perhaps the Balmoral holiday of 1982? That would have made sense, because Diana would have wanted to be home with William. Nigel Dempster wrote his story about Diana being a "monster" around that time as well, at the same time the anorexia speculation came out via James Whitaker. There was significant speculation about her health/mental state that late summer and fall after William was born. (We know in retrospect that she had both bulimia and post-natal depression at that time.) Then there was the Tina Brown article in Vanity Fair that was recently reprinted in a special "Royal" edition. That started such a firestorm that Charles and Diana did the ill-advised interview/documentary in 1985 before their trip to the USA. Then things went quiet for awhile, until "Disco Di" emerged in 1986 or so. The Summer of Discontent-the 30-day separation in late summer with the oh-so-uncomfortable trip to Wales--was in 1987. :ermm:

It was the same when she talked about slapping her father because he married Raine. It was the Settelen tapes that convinced me that Diana was capable of doing the things she was accused of, because she was so remorseless when talking about how she physically hurt people. I agree that she did very good public work, but her personal life was a shambles.

I dont believe Diana had pushed her step mother hard off the stairs. Use common sense, at her age, she would be definitely seiously hurt if she fell off the stairs. In this case, in no way the news would not go to the headline, and in no way the Charles's would not use this story to bash Diana.

I dont know how hard Diana had pushed her step mother. It could be ahard push or a light push. From the consequence, it was very likely a light push because no news ever talked about Raine Spencer had any injure.

I am saying her behavior was right. I just think it was not appropriate to use this example to convince a person that Diana'd ever lightly pushed a person, or slapped a person, so she was capable to kill a person.

I think the Charles' camp havent used this story to bash Diana is not because they have any decency, it is because Raine Spencer is still alive, in this case they are unable to write the story as much as they like. Mark my words, once Raine Spencer died, the dead meat eater would come out. From the "Diana warned to kill Camilla" story, one can see how shameless they are.

Well, we don't know how long the stairs were or how hard she was pushed. I believe they were back stairs, not the grand staircase at Althorp.

There have never been many stories from Althorp that have made the press. The staff have been very discrete, and it's not the kind of story that anyone in Diana's family--including Raine--would tell. Earl Spencer was a courtier; and, as such, he and his wife wouldn't say anything that reflected badly on a member of the Royal Family.

Who suggested that Diana would kill a person???

There could be stories come out when Raine dies.

I dont believe Diana had pushed her step mother hard off the stairs. Use common sense, at her age, she would be definitely seiously hurt if she fell off the stairs. In this case, in no way the news would not go to the headline, and in no way the Charles's would not use this story to bash Diana.

I am saying her behavior was right. I just think it was not appropriate to use this example to convince a person that Diana'd ever lightly pushed a person, or slapped a person, so she was capable to kill a person.

I think the Charles' camp havent used this story to bash Diana is not because they have any decency, it is because Raine Spencer is still alive, in this case they are unable to write the story as much as they like. Mark my words, once Raine Spencer died, the dead meat eater would come out. From the "Diana warned to kill Camilla" story, one can see how shameless they are.

Although these tapes were never meant to be released to the public, it was a mistake for her to talk about such things to a total stranger. Then again, from what I understand, Diana truly needed someone to talk to and it wasn't doing her any good to keeping her feelings and emotions all bottled up. That alone led to depression and to her cutting herself. I think the sad part of her life is that with all the problems she was facing, she really didn't have a proper and discreet person to talk to and who would understand her situation. I think Princess Michael of Kent hinted at this in a recent interview. Diana didn't have a good support system and the people around her weren't advising her correctly and couldn't understand her situations.

Diana was a ticking time bomb in several ways and when someone listened (stranger or not) she would flood you with stories about her private life. She also did this with Barbara Walters over an intimate lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Moving Apart?"

Miss Hathaway,

The information about Camilla's weekly chats with journalists during the first 10 years of the Wales' marriage not only appears in the Bedell book, it is verified by Tina Brown in her own biography of the late princess.

Neither book is exactly flattering to Diana, so it's not a case of a hagiographer's view of the events as they happened.

I never not once doubted that Camilla and her friends were speaking to journalists on Charles' behalf. She was simply far more clever about it than Diana was.

Last edited:
I've heard this story before. Sometimes it is the Sun and sometimes it is the Express. The vast majority of royal watchers acknowledge that the Duchess of Cornwall has never talked to the press. Unlike Diana, who was in constant contact with people like Richard Kay.

Oh please...I have posted the link several times over the past few years re: Camilla's regular briefing 'to get Charles' side out'.

Miss Hathaway,

The information about Camilla's weekly chats with journalists during the first 10 years of the Wales' marriage not only appears in the Bedell book, it is verified by Tina Brown in her own biography of the late princess.

Neither book is exactly flattering to Diana, so it's not a case of a hagiographers view of the events as they happened.

I never not once doubted that Camilla and her friends were speaking to journalists on Charles' behalf. She was simply far more clever about it than Diana was.

It's been a long time since I read either Bedell or Tina Brown but it seems as though they used Stuart Higgins as the source, which makes sense. So far the only quote I can find from him indicates that he used Camilla to either confirm or deny information he already had. Apparently Higgins denied even doing that for a while and then acknowledged that they stayed in touch.

It makes some difference but not a lot to me. Diana was also briefing reporters. It just evens the playing field a bit.

[Diana was also briefing reporters. It just evens the playing field a bit. ]// quote

In fact, that is the precise rationale that the Highgrove Set used...Diana was such a pro and was winning the battle for hearts and minds to devastating effect. Camilla and their friends wanted to get "poor Charles' side of things out there.

I don't really blame them for that, but to imply that they never got their own hands dirty is simply incorrect.

It's been a long time since I read either Bedell or Tina Brown but it seems as though they used Stuart Higgins as the source, which makes sense. So far the only quote I can find from him indicates that he used Camilla to either confirm or deny information he already had. Apparently Higgins denied even doing that for a while and then acknowledged that they stayed in touch.

It makes some difference but not a lot to me. Diana was also briefing reporters. It just evens the playing field a bit.

Changing tune, are you? If Camilla was in fact, as confirmed by Stuart Higgins, briefing on Charles' behalf, now 'it doent make a difference'? If you are going to throw stink bombs at the first wife for talking to the press , while saying the then mistress, now second wife would NEVER do that, at least acknowledge that St Camilla aint so saintly. Sometimes I wonder if some of Camilla's fans here are not old enough to actually remember what transpired, as opposed to reading Penny Junor's poison rehashed over and over again.

Changing tune, are you? If Camilla was in fact, as confirmed by Stuart Higgins, briefing on Charles' behalf, now 'it doent make a difference'? If you are going to throw stink bombs at the first wife for talking to the press , while saying the then mistress, now second wife would NEVER do that, at least acknowledge that St Camilla aint so saintly. Sometimes I wonder if some of Camilla's fans here are not old enough to actually remember what transpired, as opposed to reading Penny Junor's poison rehashed over and over again.

I know you won't agree but the difference is the type of information Diana leaked versus the type of information Camilla allegedly leaked. Camilla would have known that Diana was suffering from an eating disorder--but that story wasn't broken by Stuart Higgins, it was revealed by James Witaker. There are reports that Charles sent Diana to a psychiatrist early in the marriage, that didn't make it into The Sun. Stuart Higgins did not reveal any of Diana's affairs.

It doesn't seem as though Camilla was leaking negative information when she talked to Higgins. We know that Diana was very negative when she talked to reporters. I can't find any major story broken by Stuart Higgins until the Squidgygate tapes dropped in his lap. Apparently he was forced to sit on the story for months. Most of the information I can find online indicates that most editors admired Stuart Higgins for having accurate stories (until he fell for the hoax tape).

I can't fault either Camilla or Charles for wanting to set the record straight since we know that Diana often exaggerated stories or left out important details--such as writing a book claiming to be the true story about her marriage that failed to mention that she had several affairs of her own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ish
These days, she'd be called an "over-sharer." :) I'd think that the listener would be quite flattered by this.

Diana was a ticking time bomb in several ways and when someone listened (stranger or not) she would flood you with stories about her private life. She also did this with Barbara Walters over an intimate lunch.

Right the Mistress and the prince were so abused by the evil wife. Setting the record straight or twisting the record to their benefit? It just doesn't matter any more. They won, Diana is dead for over a decade and they go through this portion of their lives, basically unscathed. He does love Camilla, that is for sure and that is good. The rest is tawdry on all sides.

There was truly a war going on between both camps. Diana may have won over the people and some parts of the media to her side but I think Camilla won too. She won Charles.

I find myself thinking that Charles must be some guy to have these women fighting over him. Even Kanga was in the fight (or at least she thought she was) but lost in the end.

I think real love made the difference but its just sad that a family was broken up because of the actions of the couple and other parties involved.

It's wonderful that her stepmother forgave her. It says a lot about the character of her stepmother.

However, this is about Diana. Pushing someone down the stairs is wrong. It is a crime. It is not nice. There is no excuse for it. I don't care if Diana made appearances for charity or said she cared about other people--pushing her stepmother down the stairs was a bad thing to do.

All families have drama--few people actually push another family member down the stairs. At least I hope it is only a few people. Some posters are making me wonder... I hope I don't met some of you in a back alley somewhere. Some posters sound really nasty.

US Royal Watcher, I did not say that my family has gone though this nor did I mention that we need some professional help. Don't try to turn this around on me and make it seem like I'm a victim of domestic violence within my family. Don't get it twisted.

I said that I've seen families go through ups and downs with each other and then can go on to be friends and buddies the next day. What Diana and her family went through is something a lot of families go through. If help is needed, some seek it and some don't. It seems like what Diana and her stepmother went through was a little incident and no one was harmed in the process. They moved on long ago and so should we.

Camilla had her friends do the dirty work for her. Her hands were just as dirty as Diana's.
Camilla is not the subject of this thread. Neither is Charles.

I dont understand what do you mean here. Are you implying if someone ever did something wrong, no matter what was the reason, these people are forever wrong person?

Diana's stepmother have forgiven her. They even became really good friend at the end. That told a lot about her step mother, but also a lot of Diana. I dont think her step mother would forgive a unrepenting person, right?
I think Diana had a very understanding and forgiving stepmother.

I dont know how hard Diana had pushed her step mother. It could be ahard push or a light push. From the consequence, it was very likely a light push because no news ever talked about Raine Spencer had any injure.

I am saying her behavior was right
. I just think it was not appropriate to use this example to convince a person that Diana'd ever lightly pushed a person, or slapped a person, so she was capable to kill a person.

The statement about "shoving Raine down the stairs" came from Diana herself via the Settelen Tapes. No his camp, no hers! I am amazed at the lengths some Diana apologists are willing to go to to protect their vision of a perfect Diana, even in essence, calling Diana herself a liar by saying she only lightly pushed her stepmother down a step! Downgrading the incident is chilling.

I am sticking with Diana's version. Having personally had the misfortune to fall down a steep set of stairs I can attest that it didn't kill me, but it might have. I had lumps bumps and bruises all over, a sprained ankle, and what was, at the time, a minor back injury that unfortunately never healed properly.

As to Raine, I think she was as good a stepmother as she could be but was in and out of Diana's favour like a merrygoround. Diana's glee about she and her brother shoving all of Raines clothes and belongings into rubbish bin liners and chucking them out the door after the death of her father was yet another self-proclaimed act of spite. Yet it was all tears and hugs at the funeral. Go figure.

These issues are facets of Diana and in no way are they connected to Charles or Camilla. That is not what this thread is about.

Yes, really sad. I watched the Settelen interview earlier this evening, and it left me more depressed than anything. Diana talked about kisses on the cheek from her parents but no hugs. She needed love so badly and had so much to give, but I don't think that she and Charles really had a chance at a normal marriage. Perhaps, in another age, one with less press intrusion and more privacy, things would have been different. If both of them were determined not to go looking outside their marriage for love and companionship, things might have been different. Marriages survive under worse conditions.

I still read about Diana and like to see pictures of her. I have quite a collection. She was so good at public engagements and private kindnesses, but yet she was tormented and difficult. Full of contradictions.

I think real love made the difference but its just sad that a family was broken up because of the actions of the couple and other parties involved.

Marg, did Diana talk about that "on the record"? On the Settelen tapes, she talks about pushing her down the stairs but not about throwing out her things. I think it was in Tina Brown's book that the garbage bags full of Raine's things were mentioned.

Diana's glee about she and her brother shoving all of Raines clothes and belongings into rubbish bin liners and chucking them out the door after the death of her father was yet another self-proclaimed act of spite. Yet it was all tears and hugs at the funeral. Go figure.

He's supposed to be handsomer in person than he appears in the media and very personable. My husband saw him and Diana in Halifax in 1983 and mentioned how friendly both of them were. Plus, he's the Prince of Wales!

I find myself thinking that Charles must be some guy to have these women fighting over him. Even Kanga was in the fight (or at least she thought she was) but lost in the end.

Originally Posted by scooter

I know you won't agree but the difference is the type of information Diana leaked versus the type of information Camilla allegedly leaked. Camilla would have known that Diana was suffering from an eating disorder--but that story wasn't broken by Stuart Higgins, it was revealed by James Witaker.

This November 1982 'People' article says that a 1982 Sun headine was:
"Charles' Diet Fear for Di" and that "The Sun speculated that her 'craze for slimming' had sparked a fight with Charles."
While Baby William Grows, Diana Shrinks?but She'll Never Be a Shrinking Violet : People.com

Who "broke" the story isn't the issue. The issue is that Camilla Parker Bowles was interfering in Diana's marriage. Diana had the right to talk to whoever she wanted about her own marriage. Camilla was interfering in another couple's marriage. She was contributing --via The Sun -- to the perception that Diana was unstable. Reading this kind of stuff by the young Diana trying to sort things out could not be helpful and contributed to how Diana behaved -- or her many 'facets', if you will.

There's nothing more low than people who try to destroy another's marriage/family, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom