Different Facets of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah was the only sister she was talking to at the time of her death, not Jane. After the refusal to give Diana the house she wanted, although he did apparently offer her one he felt would be more suitable, things were still fraught between her and Charles, IMO. IIRC, the house she wanted was already occupied by a family.

She did have a couple of friends but they had not been there throughout her life, the Monktons had been friends of the Windsors before Diana arrived on the scene. She fell out with Lucia Fleche di Lima a couple of times but they were both willing to wait for Diana to call them as if nothing had happened, many got fed up with it after a while, IMO, and simply moved on.

Sad really.

I didn't know Diana and Luchi had a couple of falling outs but by the end of the Princess' life they were still close friends. The marriage made Diana very bitter and with the environment she lived in with courtiers and such its not that surprising that she had trust issues with some of her friends. But once the divorce was finalized there was a shift in Diana. Her relationship with Charles and the Queen were much better and she repaired her friendship with Elton John and from what I have read but I don't remember where, she was trying to get back in touch with Fergie some time that summer.

Yes, she had fallen out with Fergie over Fergie mentioning in her bio that she wore Diana's shoes and they gave her worts or something. Diana felt insulted. That was just typical Fergie. But I know that when she died they weren't speaking. Fergie I read somewhere regreted that, because she always cared about Diana. They had been friends a long time, at least since the early '80s.

She did have a couple of friends but they had not been there throughout her life, the Monktons had been friends of the Windsors before Diana arrived on the scene. She fell out with Lucia Fleche di Lima a couple of times but they were both willing to wait for Diana to call them as if nothing had happened, many got fed up with it after a while, IMO, and simply moved on.
Sad really.

From my readings, at the end of Diana, Princess of Wales life she had these friends you mention above. I think they really cared for her. In life you usually have family and very few good friends. I have always thought and stated that Diana was mentally sick and her parents divorce didn't help her. I think she did the best she could with her situation.

An example of devotion from her friend Lucia. When Diana's coffin was lying at KP, Lucia demanded that flowers be brought in from outside; no one thought of getting any flowers for Diana.
another example of devotion-Lucia also got up very early in the morning to accept calls from Diana. Lucia lived in the US and Diana called her from England before she started her day. She was her mother figure. :ermm:

Yes, these friends if hers did really care about her, even though it's true they hadn't been with during all her life. When she was younger, she seemed to have female friends more her own age like Fergie, ( although that friendship endured a long time) and Catharine Soames and Kate Menzies. By the later '90s, Lucia Flecha de Lima, Rose Monkton, Annabel Goldsmith, (the mother of Jemima Khan, who she also was close to) had become her primary friends, and she also got close to Raine.

She was her mother figure. :ermm:
And yet her mother was still very much alive and her attempts at a reconciliation were ignored.
Countess Raine Spencer's friendship was a promise she made her father
I wonder how Raine felt about this alleged promise as she and her belongings were thrown out immediately after the Earl, Raines husband, had died. I think it says more about Raines forgiving nature than anything else, especially after the stairs incident as well.
Sirhon - I agree there had been a change in Dianas behaviour, which had essentially remained the same since her days at school and the manipulation she exhibited then. Who knows what would have happened as time went past. :flowers:

Posts concerning Frances Shand Kydd have been moved to the Diana's Mother thread where there is previous discussion of the relationship and its breakdown.

I just started reading this thread and have a few ideas of my own. Remember Diana was only 6 when her parents separated. I don't know about you but when I was that age I wouldn't have understood what a separation let alone a divorce was. And children tend to blame themselves when things go wrong. "Was it something I did?" Her sisters were a bit older than her and away at school by that time. So she was all alone basically with a 3 years younger brother as company. I'm sure her dad was busy doing things to keep money in the home so wasn't always available. I'm sure he did the best he could but honestly most men aren't that good with emotions. Her mom was a couple of hours away by train. Abandonment is a huge fear of most people and I think it was a huge thing with Diana. If you think about it, she basically duplicated her parents' marriage. She may not have intended to but that was all she knew, so that was what she did. Plus I've always said it takes two to make a relationship and two to break it. It was both their fault's. But they made two beautiful boys and that is all that counts. Now lets have some more pictures okay?

Yes, she had fallen out with Fergie over Fergie mentioning in her bio that she wore Diana's shoes and they gave her worts or something. Diana felt insulted. That was just typical Fergie. But I know that when she died they weren't speaking. Fergie I read somewhere regreted that, because she always cared about Diana. They had been friends a long time, at least since the early '80s.

I don't even believe Princess Diana had a wart to give.

For me, I always thought Diana was so happy and believed in the fairytale marriage but after reading the Morton book I realized just unhappy Diana was. Then hearing it directly from her on the Panorama interview. My heart really went out to Diana. I just wanted to give her a hug. But, I must say after all she been through she kept her dignity and composure in public. Always smiling even going through such personal pain. I admired her tremendously for that.

I really too believed in the fairytale and when I read the Morton book felt sorry for Diana, Princess of Wales. I loved Princess Diana and thought of her as a humanitarian and well as a beautiful princess. By the time of the Panorama interview I felt she might be getting somewhat mentally sick, but my heart went out to her because of her pain. I read that she got her dignity and composure from her mother. She said something like, I can smile even though I hurting inside. Yes she was strong and a beautiful person inside. I just hope that Princess Diana had some happy moments in her short, tragic life.:);):)

Last edited by a moderator:
So many different facets because there were so many differet facets of her life. f That is one of the things that makes her story so unique and fascinating.

I don't think she had that many facets, I think she had a public face and private face. That's it.

I don't think she had that many facets, I think she had a public face and private face. That's it.

Diana, Princess of Wales did have a public and private face. She compartmentalized her relationships and that is what made her more complex. An example was Princess Diana's friends at her funeral learned that she was friends with others they knew, but did not know that the princess was their friend too.:ermm:

Aaah it was published 4 days before the accident.

There is something about Diana where she never seems to cry defeat.

When Diana passed away it felt as if something else was to let go. To understand her importance and to see a mourning there and thereafter of the baffling and shocking, instilled within me a letting go of normalacy, as I now realize, I had become accustomed to knowing. Something disappeared and I thank you gfg02 for bringing me instances where I see and get reminded of Lady Diana's empathy and energy. I grew up watching Diana and noticing how candidly the World took to her bravery. If there was a chance and if the idea was good it seemed we had Diana there to decide for us amongst it all. Now that I live adult I will never let go of her spirit. I now live to grow for the ultimate where life has opportunities and we champion a calling for actual devinity upon the land. It is the possible and it is my calling.

From Diana I've witnessed destiny, my own, and it is to never cry defeat and to never let go of my fellow man's desire to dream of great. You did great your Highness, I hold heart that so will I.

No Diana, Princess of Wales was a strong woman with a lot to over come in many bad circumstances. She is a good role model Penny Royalty.:flowers:

I sure do dislike throwing a wrench in the works, but I cannot see where the late Diana could be a role model. She did nothing more than wear clothing well, produce heirs and tell herself (and everyone else) that she was a "poor, lonely" woman. Most of the time, I just don't know where the idolizers are coming from. She had a lot of "warts." Sure, she had to work while married to Charles, but I believe she would have prefered not to work.

I believe that its just a matter of opinion. To you and some other people, she was just a pretty face who wore nice clothes. To others her work with charities such as AIDS, Leprosy, Landmines, and her contribution to the Ottawa Treaty was inspirational.

diana dancing

I never heard about this tell me more
why did she dance what year was it
I think it was in 1985 at the Royal Albert Hall. She organized this with the help of Wayne Sleep as a surprise for her husband.

See if you love and admire Diana then it is perfectly alright.
But dont be too blinded that you start attributing all the good qualities in the world to her..
She said something like, I can smile even though I hurting inside. Yes she was strong and a beautiful person inside.
No Diana, Princess of Wales was a strong woman with a lot to over come in many bad circumstances. She is a good role model Penny Royalty.:flowers:
I must say after all she been through she kept her dignity and composure in public. Always smiling even going through such personal pain. I admired her tremendously for that.

There are several videos on Youtube showing Diana instantly breaking down at public events, without any provocation, much to the discomfort and embarassment of the organisers and audience.
And making a barely teen son her "rock" (donno how far its true)..
And whenever she stares at a cam her eyes ooze out all the tragedy in the world.
So I definitely doubt your statements about her "strong/brave/always being composed etc."

Last edited:
I agree. Diana was a generally kind person but she knew how to work things and manipulate the media to her own ends. The legacy of her manipulation still goes on today - Charles and Camilla are still vilified from time to time while Diana's affairs and mean streak have been quietly swept away.

I would actually like to believe that Lady Diana meant good in her charity work, but I can't help but feel that on some occasions, particularly during the "War of the Waleses" that she deliberately acted awkward. Three instances spring to mind: Her sitting alone in front of the Taj Mahal, her crying at a banquet and constantly looking up as if to avoid being seen when she knew otherwise, and the time when she turned her head away when Charles tried to kiss her.

While I can't begin to imagine how horrible her issues may have been, I can't help but feel that sometimes Diana was the worst person. Still, she did do some good in the world and her sons have turned out well.

I agree. Diana was a generally kind person but she knew how to work things and manipulate the media to her own ends. The legacy of her manipulation still goes on today - Charles and Camilla are still vilified from time to time while Diana's affairs and mean streak have been quietly swept away.

I would actually like to believe that Lady Diana meant good in her charity work, but I can't help but feel that on some occasions, particularly during the "War of the Waleses" that she deliberately acted awkward. Three instances spring to mind: Her sitting alone in front of the Taj Mahal, her crying at a banquet and constantly looking up as if to avoid being seen when she knew otherwise, and the time when she turned her head away when Charles tried to kiss her.

While I can't begin to imagine how horrible her issues may have been, I can't help but feel that sometimes Diana was the worst person. Still, she did do some good in the world and her sons have turned out well.

The whole period was a mess. Leaks from the palace, mutual scowling and sniping, jealousy of all kinds of things; there was a lot of childish behavior going around. Her, him, staff, friends and relatives all played the game back then. No reason and no way to pick who had the worst behavior. Very little of it from any of the parties was good.

The whole period was a mess. Leaks from the palace, mutual scowling and sniping, jealousy of all kinds of things; there was a lot of childish behavior going around. Her, him, staff, friends and relatives all played the game back then. No reason and no way to pick who had the worst behavior. Very little of it from any of the parties was good.

Very true, AdmirerUS. There was also some very good years within the Wales family. People somehow only focus on the bad for some reason.

I just continue to hope future generations will be able to see her wedding dress, dresses and other items like Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Mother. Also, that her work for her charitable causes live on.

I think, remembering Diana's hard work as HRH Princess of Wales, her beauty and compassion is very important. I hate that so many people have made a great deal of money off of her marriage and made that the only focus of her life. She didn't seem to allow the breakdown of her marriage to the Prince of Wales to define her. She continued on being a loving mother, friend and humanitarian.

The fact was, she was a 19 year old girl who was enamoured of a prince. He asked her to marry him not because he loved her, but because she was a virgin, of the right birth, etc. He knew he loved someone else, and he was much older....he knew what he was doing. She was not a scheming 19 year old. She grew to be able to take control of herself....and she had very little help in this. She did have a determined spirit and a big heart, and these she tried to use to benefit others in the situation she was in. She was not a saint. But how anyone can champion Camillia or Charles in this situation is beyond me. They were appalled that Diana had the guts to try to make lemonade out of the lemons they handed her.

@ mgp Unfortunately many of the things you wrote are true, Diana was not married for love and she did not have enough support from the Royal family to deal with the completely new and certainly daunting and difficult life in the public. She was absolutely not prepared for this, another problem was certainly that she did not get a university education like her husband and this made her feel intellectually inferior or "thick" as she would call it.
I believe that most of her insecurities and issues grew because she had a difficult childhood, her parents got divorced and it was said that the divorce was very painful for the children and her parents did not care for the emotional needs of the children well enough. That´s why she was so unsure about herself, she did not have the confidence and even doubted her (unquestionable IMO) good looks, she told that she felt "chubby","unattractive" and awkward in her teens. This is also one of the feelings I get when I look at pictures of the young Princess of Wales. She did have a big heart and knew how to create a positive image of herself,but she was not able to find or maintain a long-lasting relationship with a man who loved her and accepted her with all her good and bad parts.
Princess Diana was no saint, but it would be only fair to give her credit for her charitable work and creating awareness for causes that have been relatively unknown to the large public.
Diana talked openly about her Post-Natal-Depression and her eating disorders which made it easier for normal women to talk about their own issues, because if the Princess has dealt with it, so could they.
At least that´s how I feel like - when I have a problem it helps a lot to know that you are not the only one who has difficulties with this issue!

What I wish for the future is that her charitable causes are not forgotten & that her sons live a happier life and appreciate & remember all the good memories or advice she has given them.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was about Diana - her character and the different things she was interested in - not a rehash of times past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom