Different Facets of Diana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pays to remember that Albert Einstein never finished high school and had a teacher that told him he'd never amount to anything. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what books Diana was given to read, but it sounds like whatever books were given to her were either of no interest to her or the topics didn't appeal to her. Books on foreign policy, history or history of royals may have been interesting or appealing to Prince Charles or others but not to her. Otherwise, I think she may have read the books if she had interest in the topic. People who gave her these books were trying to help her, I believe.

Even if she wasn't interested in all the books, she could have at least tried to read one of them. Who knows. Maybe she would have been interested in the book.

If there were books that both Prince Charles and Princess Diana were interested in (you probably would to have know both of them well to know this), then she might have read the books.

If the books were on foreign policy, history, or the history of past Royals, then as the future Queen, it would have behooved her to read them. Of course, who knows ... maybe the books were about architecture and gardening, neither of which she seemed to have much, if any, interest in.

I don't think I would've plopped tons of old books in front of my wife and expected her to become a professional and experienced Princess overnight. I think the idea is to help guide her myself. I would've helped coach her in speech making, the art of small talk when on official engagements, State matters, etc. Anyone can drop tons of books before you to read but I think it makes a difference when you get out there and just do the work with your spouses guiding hand.

It took Diana several years to find her way as the Princess of Wales and future Queen but she did it. With years of experience under her belt, she went on to do a good job in her royal role.

Love, time and patience makes the difference, IMO, because before they became engaged, Charles helped guide his second wife. Before they became engaged, the Duchess of Cornwall accompanied Charles to official engagements and she learned things way before her marriage. I think maybe Charles and even palace officials learned some lessons along the way.

According to Sarah Bradford, Diana--as a teenager--heard someone make an off-colour remark. She replied, "I'm so tall that not much goes over my head, and I'm too much of a lady to admit that I know what you mean." She certainly had wit. I can't think of too many teenagers who could come up with a remark like that instantaneously.:flowers:

The Princess of Wales, who was she really?

Diana just leaves me in a perpetual state of confusion, whilst I acknowledge she made mistakes and was essentially a good person I veer on the other extreme that she was a bad person who had zero redeemable features. If that is the case then she became like that as a result of her childhood and marriage.

Just reading things about her here, and people biographies that I just don't know what to think or feel. But every time I go in her side again, I see or hear about another thing which makes me back away.

Help me out here, I don't want extremes that she was just good or just bad, I'm sure there are people here to have a balanced, just view on here without making her a saint or making her the devil.

She was a young lady from a rough childhood and was in over her head in the royal family. She had no one to help or guide her and was not into listening to advice. In other words she was a human being.

She did have people to guide her - but chose to ignore their advice and decided that she knew better than the courtiers who had been doing it for years on how to be a member of the BRF.

She failed in some ways and was a success in others - like the rest of us.

The late Princess of Wales was human. She had her good moments and her bad moments in life, just like all of us. She wasn't a perfect person because none of us are. She loved her children, she did her job as HRH The Princess of Wales and future Queen. She supported The Prince of Wales in his role, she worked hard on behalf of her many charities and she touched people of whom she met and whom she never met. Her life was unfortunately very short but she did her best while she was here.

I never get confused about Diana because I've decided to pay attention to what's really important. The love, compassion, grace and dignity that Diana gave and had.

...She had no one to help or guide her...
Apart from the other Palace courtiers and advisers, her own sister was married to none other than one of the Queen's Private Secretaries.*
I find it difficult to believe there was no channel of communication when Diana found herself [allegedly] "unsupported".

* Robert Fellowes, later Baron Fellowes, married Lady Jane Spencer in 1978.
1977-1986: Assistant Private Secretary to Queen Elizabeth II
1986-1990: Deputy Private Secretary . . . . . . . . "
1990-1999: Private Secretary
. . . . . . . . .. .. . . "

Dear Aniston Crazy,

I was really surprised by your post because I have exactly the same “problem”. The more I read about Diana (biographies, books from people who dealt with her) the more I get confused. To be honest I think that the image of Diana as a saint that some people have, is not at al realistic because she was definitely not. She was a realy difficult person and though we see lots of beautiful pics of her, at video’s you can see that a lot of times she was not interested in her hosts or just ignored persons. In one of the ‘secret tapes’ the journalist asked her why she turned to charity work, she answered: “because I’ve got nothing else to do”. That was a realy strange answer I think. I certainly think that Diana was not a bad person but she had really bad characteristics. She was not trustable as a friend and could let you down. But nevertheless I like her and I think the was a strong woman and I cannot imagine my life without Diana in that way that I already collect about her for almost 30 years. Like other commenters said here, she had her good and bad sides.

regards,

Di-fan72

I was really inspired by Diana and all the great things she did. Its very true that Diana wasn't a perfect person because nobody is but what I find rather sad is that there has been a great deal of false information and unfounded rumors made up about her. With all the books, movies, documentaries, articles and news stories that's been done about her over the years, her image has been turned upside down, right side up, and side ways many times over.

I just hate that her life was taken before she was able to leave the past behind and start a new journey with love, charity and possibly with more children.

Thank you. I hate when people sanctify. The american media does that about diana a lot. I really want to love diana and try my best to say she may have done a bad thing but there was a reason or because she had turned into it because of such and such, but I always conclude to the fact that she was sick. It sounds awful to say but I think she was completely soulless and virtually evil. I don't think she has any feeling for anyone other than herself.

I find her fascinating as well. The dichotomy between her image as the poor, mistreated, but brave princess and the reality of the person she is astounding. She treated most of the people in her life poorly. It's my opinion that she was abusive to her husband and to some of her servants (eg. her dresser evelyn dagely). This is the picture I see and I don't understand it.

She was one of those people who happened to be at the cross roads of history, at the right time and place who became the incredible phenomenon called "Princess Diana."

I don't think Diana was evil. Nor do I think she was a saint. Instead, I think Diana was a deeply damaged individual who was able to charm the world and create an illusion of who she - and who others in her life - was.

Diana did great things. While she may not have always been as altruistic as she's frequently depicted, she did manage to bring awareness to a lot of great causes and brought a human touch to the interaction between the people and royals. Regardless of what failures she had, Diana was able to represent her country and, at least on solo engagements, the family she had married into in a great way. Had she been the daughter of the monarch instead of the daughter-in-law I think she would have been a great asset to the BRF.

However, she was the daughter-in-law, and I think her personal issues really prevented her from being a great Princess of Wales. What people seem to forget is that it's the job of the person who marries into a royal family to support and play second fiddle to their royal spouse. This is something that we see people like the DoE, Tim, and Sophie really shine in, but isn't something that Diana was ever good at. She liked to shine and she would, sometimes deliberately, outshine her husband when they were on joint engagements. Charles is often criticized for having been jealous of his wife's popularity, and rightly so, but Diana is equally deserved of a similar critique. She was jealous of her husband and others when they took the attention away from her.

Ultimately, though, when it comes to Diana, we really have to remember that she was not a mentally stable woman. She suffered from bulimia and depression, and may have likely had a greater emotional disorder that may or may not have been diagnosed. She grew up in a very unhappy home that very likely may have been an abusive one. She entered into her marriage when she was practically still a child and had as such unrealistic expectations of what she was getting into - she bought into the fairy tale idea of her marriage. I think, ultimately, the marriage was largely a political one, which in itself isn't a horrible thing (there have been many successful royal marriages that were undertaken more for politics than love, or as much for politics as love), but no one seemed to have broken the news to Diana. This criticism can't go just to Charles and the BRF, as Diana's family surely was aware of what was going on as well and didn't do anything about it either.

I do think Diana cared about her sons, and I even think she cared about Charles. She did the best that she could, but when it comes down to it I don't think her best was actually good. She didn't know how to be a good mother or a good wife because she didn't know how to put herself second. Charles had a similar problem in his first marriage too, at least when it came to his wife. I don't doubt that Diana's sons knew that they were loved by their mother, but I do think that she did them a lot of damage, particularly in the way she used them as pawns during the War of the Waleses.

Diana did like the attention she got but so does a great deal of the European princesses of today and past.

I think Diana was a good Princess of Wales and future Queen. I just wished her marital problems would've worked out but it didn't so that's that. She was a great mother who loved her sons and would've been very proud of them today.

Mods, please move this post as you see fit. I am not sure if this the right thread. thanks.

Facets of Diana. The is a interesting observation by David Montgomery, a newspaper editor. It's an unusual take on P.D.

"She was an unfortunate woman, ill equipped to have this weight thrust upon her, and she's clearly broken under the strain, hence her behaviour. You'd have to be an extraordinary person to have to come through this experience, and she hasn't , not unscathed, you know. She got through it , but she's damaged for life. She ought to be pitied."

Again, the newspapers, movies, articles and books have taken Diana's image and did what they wanted to do with it and to make money. It's a very sad situation after all these years.

Simply put, Diana was unsuitable to be Charles' wife... Diana was not a good mother but a user and she wouldn't want any woman, ever to outshine her...

As for bringing the human touch - I have always found this a strange comment given my experience of meeting The Queen on a cold day a week or so after have my appendix out. She was all concern for me being outside and thanked me for coming out and told me to take care and to go home and rug up warm (all the things a caring mother and person would say) and she also chatted to mum about how I was (I was just a person in the crowd - not meeting her because I was in hospital or anything).

Diana had good press and was praised to the skies and she believed her own press. She wasn't a good friend, look at how many friends were dumped etc over the years, look at how she dumped her lovers - just refused to take their phone calls - no talk, just stop, and then complains when they talk about her - she didn't treat her staff very well either - read Burrell's books about the hours he worked, her demands that she contact him everyday when on holiday even though his wife didn't want him to do so - he had to sneak away from his family to make contact with Diana - that is a sick woman. She complained about a third woman in her marriage but was so selfish she didn't mind being a threat to Burrell's marriage and being a contributing factor to the breakdown of the Carling marriage (even if she didn't sleep with him she was too heavily involved as far as his wife was concerned). Then add in the lies about her own lovers - such as outing the fact that Charles was having an affair but failing to let the world now that she also was cheating on her husband and did so with multiple lovers.

I always loved that answer to why she got involved in charity 'because I had nothing else to do' - which is exactly what royal and aristocratic women have been doing for the last 100+ years or so - it was what she was raised to expect to do and yet she implies there was something else she could have done - what - who knows with her education being nothing spectacular she could have been a cleaner or some other unskilled job - not suitable for an aristocratic woman, let alone a royal one. It is a comment that shows just how out of touch with the reality of her situation she was - both her situation from birth and then by marriage.

Had she lived she would probably have either remarried and divorced two or three times and lost her popularity and gone on to do more and more outrageous things to get attention because she loved the limelight - remember she was the one who rang the press to tell them where she was taking the boys to make sure there were the shots of her being the 'wonderful mother' while Charles preferred to keep his time with the boys private and protected their privacy. She was the one who made a show of greeting them on Britannica for the world to see but what is not normally shown is that that effusive greeting was repeated for Charles - but that suited her image of her being the parent they loved while Charles was cold and distant. If that sort of message to the world didn't damage the relationship between Charles and the boys it would be because Charles was even closer to the boys than she would have us believe.

Did I like Diana - never - why - because she never came across as the right woman for Charles.

In the winter of 1980 - 81, when she was all over the press as 'the one' I was staying with relatives and friends in the UK who knew Charles and others in his circle. They told me that the relationship would run its course by the summer and that he would be onto another girl by about June or July, IF the press would simply but out. I always found that an interesting viewpoint in the light of how things turned out.

She was raised on Barbara Cartland romances and believed that the job was done when the wedding was done - rather than the relationship just beginning and that it would take work and compromise to make it work.

I do not think Diana was evil, but there was definitaly something wrong with her, caused by several reasons.

There comes a time though where you just have to grow up and stop blaming everybody else and work on yourself to stop causing misery for everybody involved including herself, she would've just let go and found a way to get peace but she actively refused it. Im not saying it wouldve been easy but she was in her 30's for crying out loud. She should have spent that energy on improving herself rather than destroying the royal family whos only fault was they didn't quite understand her. I think she wanted to be miserable and wanted to cause hurt.

What else did she have in her life but hatred, bitterness, revenge, selfishness. She was a vicious individual who probably woke up every morning thinking up ways to deeply hurt people and ruin their lives. Diana could get away with it when she was teenager because of her childhood and how she was practically still a child when she married charles but there is a limit.

The fact that she was involved with married men is despicable to me, there is no forgiving that kind of behaviour.

I've gone through every level with diana but I can't find a rational excuse for her anymore. I just hope there were a few times in her life where she was genuinely nice or did something for the good of others with no agenda.

I adore william and harry and people say they are her sons but I think charles and the queen made them the great guys they are. I don't want them to get hurt but I don't feel that bad when people come out with more things about diana. Hopefully the sainthood and victimisation of diana and the vilification of the royal family ends.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with you.
The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are who they are thanks to The Prince of Wales, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

I agree 100% with you.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry are who they are thanks to The Prince of Wales, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.

Actually I think who they are is the result of both parents. If there was one thing that Charles and Diana were good at together, it was raising their boys. Of course, like any parents, they made mistakes and had blunders along the road but they both sincerely loved their boys and they knew that.

As it's been said over and over again, NO, Diana wasn't a perfect person and she did and said things that wasn't right, sometimes, not all the time. She went through a bad marriage, separation and divorce. There was drama involved in both parties and both was at fault for doing stupid things.

Diana was a good mother and the two main people who will tell you that is William and Harry. They're not telling us that to make their late mother look good, but because that's the truth. She loved those two boys with all her heart and she told them this on a daily bases. Yes, I'm sure the fallout of the marriage was hard on William and Harry and I'm sure they didn't like seeing their parents go through such a hard time within the later years but none of it meant that their parents wasn't good and loving to them. They just went through a bad time with each other.

Diana and Charles both did a great job in raising William and Harry because they both believed in giving the boys a different upbringing than they had as children. When Diana died, Charles continued to carry out the wishes he and Diana wanted for the boys. He allowed William and Harry to follow their own path in life and not smother them with the stuffiness of palace life. Princes William and Harry not only have major respect for their father, but also of their mother and to this day, William and Harry have gone on to support charities and other work that was an influence from their parents.

We all can agree to disagree from time to time on these forums but I think it's greatly unfair to use your dislike for the late Princess to make all kinds of false accusations about Diana and her relationship with her children.

Diana was a good mother and the two main people who will tell you that is William and Harry. They're not telling us that to make their late mother look good, but because that's the truth. She loved those two boys with all her heart and she told them this on a daily bases.

Ohhh..why are you making a great deal of this again and again. Of course Diana is a "great mother" and she loves her children a lot.. But what I dont get is what is so important about that..Every mother loves her kids and does the best for them. Why do you need to drum that fact each and every time..That is completely normal and is what normal mothers do.

But hey the real point comes here. There are some things which normal mothers dont do. Only "GREAT MOTHERS" do.. Lemme say what are those..

1. Washing the dirty linen in full media when your son is watching your interview with his classmates, and making him hang his head in shame and embarassment.. NORMAL MOMS NEVER DO THAT.. And dont say William never told this in any interview..he will never say. Because he s not as shameless and brainless and senseless as his mom..

2. Publicly humiliating and derogating the institution which has fed her, given her name and fame, and more importantly, ON WHICH HER SONS FUTURE SOLELY RESTS. By humiliating the worth of the heir she has irrevocably damaged the prospects of William.Again NORMAL MOMS DONT DO THAT. And if not for 15 years of enormous hardwork and PR by the entire BRF, "her" sons future would never have been as secure as it is today..

3. Dragging your sons in front of full media glare, inviting the press from all over the world to just let them splash on front pages pics that show how much you 'love' your sons.. NORMAL MOMS DONT DO THAT..
Dman you are lamenting that DIana has no more PR. Dont worry. She was such a treacherous master of PR that her 4-5 years of PR in early 90s was enough to all for atleast half a century..

4. Making your barely teen son your "rock"..tormenting him with all your emotional frustrations..And proudly proclaiming that to the world..NORMAL MOMS DONT DO THAT..

But truly for the fanatics, she is a "-super-duper-great mom" since she has done so many things which normal moms dont even dream of doing..

Oh, how truly well said. Congratulations!

Once again, Yes, the fallout of the royal marriage was hard on both the boys because both of their parents were doing dishonest and embarrassing things in the media, it wasn't all Diana's fault and doing as you and others would like others to believe. It was a hard time for their family no doubt but to spread lies about their mother not loving them or that Diana wasn't a good mother is not right and very careless.

I'm not into this idea of praising Diana and trying to make her look like a saint. You guys can take that up with the world's media.

Diana loved her sons - yes.

Diana was not a good mother as she used her sons for her own publicity.

Fortunately for most of their childhood they spend very little time with her or with Charles - about 6 weeks with each parent per year after the separation, and even before the official separation - why - because from the age of 8 they were sent to boarding school.

Diana then made a point of taking them on luxury holidays, taking them to movies they weren't of an age to see (Harry on his 11th birthday she snuck him into a 15+ movie 'because he wanted to see it').

Loving your children is NOT enough to make you a good parent and the emotional abuse heaped on those boys, particularly William, by Diana makes her a bad, but loving mother.

I suspect part of the reason we aren't seeing more of George is that William is determined not to parade him in front of the public as a sign of what a 'great parent' he is, or Kate is and as a reaction to the way he was used as a child to bolster his mother's image. He will never publicly criticise her, and rightly so, but he can act differently and that will say more about his views on her mothering than anything else.

I don't believe William and Harry was emotionally abused by Diana or Charles in any way. Yes, the breakdown of their parents marriage was difficult but I think they were okay during the turbulence. I'm sure the love and care their mother and father gave to them was a great comfort and helped them get through it.

Exactly iluvbertie. The good thing about life is we can learn from others and avoid them in our lives.
William is avoiding so many things which their mother did to them. Overexposing kids to media and using them as emotional dumps and as pawns against Charles/RF are things which she did and they had profound effects on both Will n Harry. Of course they wil never say that out.
So they will take care their own kids will not have to go through all that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom