Diana's Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
iowabelle said:
Why would the Duke of Kent be sitting on the throne? If you X out Victoria and look for the closest relative among the descendants of George III, you're going to stumble across our good friend Prince Ernst August of Hanover, husband to Princess Caroline of Monaco. (And, ironically, Ernst August is also a descendant of Queen Victoria.)

I really read, on the Net, that, once that , had the story QV was illegitimate be true, he should be the current king of Great Britain, now as he descends directly from the Hanovers, u c, he's really a Hanoverian Prince. No rumours about him.....

emily62_1 said:
don't think there was a honeymoon, The Duke of Kent was a very ill man, he knew that , after George IV and William the IV's death, there were other possible younger brothers, he had to produce a child.... ...
Hm... it seems unlikely that the Duke of Kent sent her wife back home immediately after their wedding. And did he have some chronic illness?

Moreover, the Duke of Clarence was set to beget an heir, who would have barred the issue of the Kents from succeeding; and the Grand Old Duke of York was still alive.

One successful hijacking of a thread, I'd like to say... ;-)

Last edited:
emily62_1 said:
I really read, on the Net, that, once that , had the story QV was illegitimate be true, he should be the current king of Great Britain, now as he descends directly from the Hanovers, u c, he's really a Hanoverian Prince. No rumours about him.....

No, the Hanoverian kings would be quite interesting, with the public urination, the assaultive behavior, etc... Maybe the British have lost something by having a queen who is restrained in public. :D

I've had a look at the possibility of splitting this thread so that the discussion about Queen Victoria's ancestry can be split out into its own thread, but the earlier posts were too intertwined with on-topic posts about Diana, so I don't think a thread split is going to work.

If anybody is interested in continuing the discussion about Queen Victoria, please start a thread in the main British forum or add your posts to the current thread about Victoria. In the meantime, let's get this thread back on topic.

Thanks.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Last edited:
emily62_1 said:
... Camilla and charles affair drove her to insanity!

How can you possibly say she was insane? That's a bit of an over statement don't you think?

Idriel said:
I really don't know about Victoria, but at least her husband was a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the royal house who gave Kings and Queen to most European thrones. So Charles is cousin to almost every royals in Europe, and descent from very ancient German royal houses through both parents (the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg), and from English and Scottish Kings through his Mum and the Queen mother. I trust you when you say that Diana came from a very royal background, but I still don't think she was more royal that the Queen or Charles (and definitely not more than Philip). The likely thing is that she was rather equal to them.

Although I couldn't tell you where I read it, I do remember reading that Diana had more Blue Blood than Charles.

Duchess said:
Although I couldn't tell you where I read it, I do remember reading that Diana had more Blue Blood than Charles.
Are you sure it wasn't question of British blue blood? Because as Tiarapin (and Emily) underlined it, it's undoubtedly the case when we talk about British blue blood.
I was speaking of blue blood in general.

Not insane, but desperate.

Duchess said:
How can you possibly say she was insane? That's a bit of an over statement don't you think?

no!! I did not mean to say Diana was insane, sorry, I used the wrong words, I meant she was driven to desperation, to binge on food and then vomit it, to anorexia, to trying to take her own life, like when she fell on purpose on the stairs , though she was pregnant with william, it makes me shiver when I think, as witnesses said years after, that charles just lokked at her, when she had fallen down the stairs, then, without a word, he lft to Camilla's House..... what kind of man can behave like that ?

Duchess said:

it was read everywhere when they announced the engagement- I still remember what I read in our local newspaper: " Prince Charles is to marry the girl from the Castle next door"-

Idriel said:
Are you sure it wasn't question of British blue blood? Because as Tiarapin (and Emily) underlined it, it's undoubtedly the case when we talk about British blue blood.

As Di descended from the Scottish Stuarts, we can talk about Scottish Blue Blood, the first was the James I's lover, Barbara Villiers, Di's lineage starts from her and her issue from James I.

emily62_1 said:
As Di descended from the Scottish Stuarts, we can talk about Scottish Blue Blood, the first was the James I's lover, Barbara Villiers, Di's lineage starts from her and her issue from James I.
Barbara Villiers, the Duchess of Cleveland, was the mistress of Charles II, not James I; as far as I know, James I had no mistresses... But he had a question mark hanging over his legitimacy.

Mapple said:
Barbara Villiers, the Duchess of Cleveland, was the mistress of Charles II, not James I; as far as I know, James I had no mistresses... But he had a question mark hanging over his legitimacy.

James I was homosexual. He had lovers, such as George Villiers who became Duke of Buckingham. He was also said to have had an affair with a distant male cousin Esme Stuart.

tiaraprin said:
James I was homosexual. He had lovers, such as George Villiers who became Duke of Buckingham. He was also said to have had an affair with a distant male cousin Esme Stuart.
I don't think that James I and that particular Villiers had children together... :D

Idriel said:

I couldn't say for sure, just remember it saying that she had more blue blood than charles.

The suicide attempt

emily62_1 said:
no!! I did not mean to say Diana was insane, sorry, I used the wrong words, I meant she was driven to desperation, to binge on food and then vomit it, to anorexia, to trying to take her own life, like when she fell on purpose on the stairs , though she was pregnant with william, it makes me shiver when I think, as witnesses said years after, that charles just lokked at her, when she had fallen down the stairs, then, without a word, he lft to Camilla's House..... what kind of man can behave like that ?
About that episode: it may not have been on purpose. In a biography of Diana's, one witness (a footman I think) told that Charles and her were arguing and that she felt by accident. Later she used that episode in her PR war with Charles, transforming it in an suicide attempt.
I personally tend to believe this version as the book I'm referring (Diana, L'enquète if I remember correctly) to was not written by a friend of Diana's nor Charles' and was pretty objective (not gossip stuff). Plus, I doubt she would have purposely endangered her son's life. She was a too good mother for that.

emily62_1 said:
I meant she was driven to desperation, to binge on food and then vomit it, to anorexia, to trying to take her own life, like when she fell on purpose on the stairs , though she was pregnant with william, it makes me shiver when I think, as witnesses said years after, that charles just lokked at her, when she had fallen down the stairs, then, without a word, he lft to Camilla's House..... what kind of man can behave like that ?
You don't just turn bulimic, you don't just turn into a self-mutilator, because of a bad marriage. And what witnesses said Charles just looked at her, and left to Camilla's house? I don't believe anyone else that was there at the fall aside from Diana ever spoke out about it. And I have never heard that version too, I've heard (one of) Diana's versions of him saying she was crying wolf and then going out to ride or hunt, but never to leave to Camilla's. Besides, Diana told quite a few different versions of that event over the years, including it being an accident.

I think Mapple meant George Villiers lol. Charles II's Barbara Villiers had several of the King's kids didn't she?

Idriel said:
About that episode: it may not have been on purpose. In a biography of Diana's, one witness (a footman I think) told that Charles and her were arguing and that she felt by accident. Later she used that episode in her PR war with Charles, transforming it in an suicide attempt.
I personally tend to believe this version as the book I'm referring (Diana, L'enquète if I remember correctly) to was not written by a friend of Diana's nor Charles' and was pretty objective (not gossip stuff). Plus, I doubt she would have purposely endangered her son's life. She was a too good mother for that.

I'm refering to a book myself, some servants, more than one, said that she had asked Charles not to leave her to visit Camilla, he refused ,so she on purpose fell down the stairs, what we could call- a momentary bout of insanity-

emily62_1 said:
I'm refering to a book myself, some servants, more than one, said that she had asked Charles not to leave her to visit Camilla, he refused ,so she on purpose fell down the stairs, what we could call- a momentary bout of insanity-
Yes I read mostly that version of the story too. But like I said, it may not have happens this way, and I don't think we can put a definitive answer to this. Now the suicide version and nearly universally accepted. I for one chose not to believe it and rather go for that book version, but that's just an opinion :) .

emily62_1 said:
well, check the URL,

http://www.joanandstevesjubilantukjournal.co.uk/links/diana13.htm

I found it so interesting, PS- who was King Robert Burke?
King Charles II and Barbara Villiers had several children, I do not deny this. However, James I was involved with a different Villiers...

Burke? I haven't a clue...

Alicky said:
I think Mapple meant George Villiers lol. Charles II's Barbara Villiers had several of the King's kids didn't she?
Yes, the Duke of Buckingham, the one from The Three Musketeers. :)

Barbara Villiers had six children, five of them were acknowledged by Charles II as his. Although there are some doubts...

emily62_1 said:
Servants that were actually there at the scene said it? I mean that I wasn't aware that anyone aside from Diana that was there actually spoke out about it. Who were they? Does anyone have excerpts? What book was it in?

Alicky said:
Servants that were actually there at the scene said it? I mean that I wasn't aware that anyone aside from Diana that was there actually spoke out about it. Who were they? Does anyone have excerpts? What book was it in?
I understand that some servants were not direct witnesses but were within walking distance when this arrived. In the book I'm referring to, the man said he heard a big noise and when he (and other people from what I remember) arrived, they found Di at the end of the stairs. She pretty shocked and he says it was pretty obvious (to him) it was an accident.

Why don't we ask the moderators to split the subject of Diana's fall out from this thread. It doesn't have anything to do with titles but its quite interesting and I have a lot of questions on it.

There is a lot of unanswered questions regarding that.

Mapple said:
King Charles II and Barbara Villiers had several children, I do not deny this. However, James I was involved with a different Villiers...

Burke? I haven't a clue...

Yes, the Duke of Buckingham, the one from The Three Musketeers. :)

Barbara Villiers had six children, five of them were acknowledged by Charles II as his. Although there are some doubts...

doubts about what, Di descends from 1 of Barbara V.'s kids, King Robert Burke is said to be 1 of Di's ancestors.

Idriel said:
I understand that some servants were not direct witnesses but were within walking distance when this arrived. In the book I'm referring to, the man said he heard a big noise and when he (and other people from what I remember) arrived, they found Di at the end of the stairs. She pretty shocked and he says it was pretty obvious (to him) it was an accident.

well, Di herself said later that it had not been an accident, she was a very honest person, why should have been lying about it- was she taken to hospital or not- Charles did not even wait to c how was his wife doing and what had happened to the baby.

emily62_1 said:
doubts about what, Di descends from 1 of Barbara V.'s kids,
There is a certain doubt regarding whether Charles II was a father of all children acknowledged by him.

emily62_1 said:
King Robert Burke is said to be 1 of Di's ancestors.
Do you mean Robert I (the Bruce), the King of Scots?

Back
Top Bottom