Diana's Styles and Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tiaraprin said:
There are conflicting reports about Diana's loss of HRH. Personally, I feel she was confused about it herself. One minute she did not want it so she could be free of the ties of being Royal, but then would realize she was the mother of a future king and how much more she could accomplish with the honorific and title.

IF she tied the Queen's hands on the subject, than the Queen may not have had any choice knowing Charles inclination and plans for Camilla. However, with all the good she did for England, she deserved that honorific and some sort of title as HRH Princess Diana of Wales. Anyone who put up with what she did deserves it!

Actually, it was reported that Charles did not care one way or another whether Diana remained HRH. To him, she was the mother of the heir and the spare, which gave her much more status than any title or style could.

In many ways, it really didn't matter that Diana did not remain HRH. She continued to be treated and regarded as a senior royal by everyone, so I think it had less impact overall.

That sounds very nice. I wish she were still alive so we coudl see this.

branchg said:
Actually, it was reported that Charles did not care one way or another whether Diana remained HRH. To him, she was the mother of the heir and the spare, which gave her much more status than any title or style could.

In many ways, it really didn't matter that Diana did not remain HRH. She continued to be treated and regarded as a senior royal by everyone, so I think it had less impact overall.

was the Queen to deprive her of the title ? Her bro Charles said Di had never needed any title, in fact he refused when QEII, to show ppl how desperate she was, wanted to give the late Lady Di the HRH title, soon after the funeral, but he won't have it, he was right in doing it-

Diana was the one put the idea of relinquishing HRH out as part of divorce negotiation. I think she put out a statement with that offer months before the settlement was reached. It was more important to her to keep "Princess of Wales". Can't blame the Queen for taking up her offer. It was generous of QEII to offer reinstatement. Talking of hypocrite, that righteous brother was a cheating husband who brought his mistress to his sister's funeral.

emily62_1 said:
was QEII the 1 who deprived Di of her title? she wanted to give late Lady Di the title back, soon after her death,- Charles, her brother won't have it, he had said in his sermon at the funeral that Di had never needed any title to show ppl she was a Princess, he was right in refusing it, QEII again showed ppl how hypocrite she is.

First of all, Diana was never "deprived" or "stripped" of any title. Her dignity as a Royal Highness (it is a prefix of rank, not a title) was a reflection that she assumed the rank of her husband, Prince Charles, upon marriage. With divorce, she no longer was a Royal Highness because she was no longer the wife of a Prince of the UK.

The Queen, as the Sovereign and fount of honour, is the source of all enoblement, rank, style and title. She could (and reportedly did) offer Diana the rank and style of "HRH Princess Diana" in her own right as recognition that she remained the mother of a future king even after divorce.

Diana managed to paint herself in a corner on the issue by issuing (without any authorization from the Palace) a statement that she would be known as "Diana, Princess of Wales" after the divorce, even though the Queen had not made a decision. By announcing to the world she would assume the standard style of a divorcee, it's hard to argue the Queen "deprived" her of anything.

The Queen was very generous with Diana in many ways and I think it's unfair to say she was a hypocrite. If anything, the Queen was perhaps more sympathetic than she needed to be with her former daughter-in-law.

branchg said:
The Queen was very generous with Diana in many ways and I think it's unfair to say she was a hypocrite. If anything, the Queen was perhaps more sympathetic than she needed to be with her former daughter-in-law.

I don't think the House of Windsor was generous to Diana during her lifetime. They saw what was going on and many members closed rank on Diana. The Queen said Diana's eating disorder was the cause of the marital problems. The marital problems exacerbated the bulimia which was retriggered after her engagement to Prince Charles. The bulimia was Diana's way of trying to maintain a sense of control psychologically in a system that beats down individuality and spirit. If Diana had been born a "Royal" a lot more would have been done to try to help her because then she would have been "one of their own" by blood. So many have married into that family, and so many have ran screaming to the exit.

tiaraprin said:
The marital problems exacerbated the bulimia which was retriggered after her engagement to Prince Charles. The bulimia was Diana's way of trying to maintain a sense of control psychologically in a system that beats down individuality and spirit.
I don't think her bulimia ever stopped. It's not something that just pops up at that age, and even though we know it didn't, it still wouldn't have been a stop and go situation, you don't just cure yourself or cure miraculously somehow for a while.

tiaraprin said:
I don't think the House of Windsor was generous to Diana during her lifetime. They saw what was going on and many members closed rank on Diana. The Queen said Diana's eating disorder was the cause of the marital problems.
tiaraprin said:
If Diana had been born a "Royal" a lot more would have been done to try to help her because then she would have been "one of their own" by blood. So many have married into that family, and so many have ran screaming to the exit.
Charles brought plenty of help to Diana, psychiatrists, doctors and the like. She said herself that she "received a great deal of treatment," so it's not like the royal family just didn't care and let it go(she refused to take any kind of medication, how much more could they do?). As far as her depression, she said she got no support from the royal family, because they had never heard of it. She said: "If you've never seen it before how do you support it?"

Alicky said:
I don't think her bulimia ever stopped. It's not something that just pops up at that age, and even though we know it didn't, it still wouldn't have been a stop and go situation, you don't just cure yourself or cure miraculously somehow for a while.

Charles brought plenty of help to Diana, psychiatrists, doctors and the like. She said herself that she "received a great deal of treatment," so it's not like the royal family just didn't care and let it go(she refused to take any kind of medication, how much more could they do?). As far as her depression, she said she got no support from the royal family, because they had never heard of it. She said: "If you've never seen it before how do you support it?"

I beg your pardon, HOW did he HELP her,???????????????????? maybe, by telling her, while she was eating, - what a waste of food, as what u're eating now, will soon go down in the toilet- this is roughly 1 of the mean nasty , cruel and mean remarks Charles used to make at Diana, of course, she ran away from the table, crying....... when if I think of that man , his behaviour to his own wife..... he disgusts me.

emily62_1 said:
I beg your pardon, HOW did he HELP her,???????????????????? maybe, by telling her, while she was eating, - what a waste of food, as what u're eating now, will soon go down in the toilet- this is roughly 1 of the mean nasty , cruel and mean remarks Charles used to make at Diana, of course, she ran away from the table, crying....... when if I think of that man , his behaviour to his own wife..... he disgusts me.

YEAH EMILY!!!!!!!:) :) KUDOS TO YOU!!!!:) :)

tiaraprin said:
I don't think the House of Windsor was generous to Diana during her lifetime. They saw what was going on and many members closed rank on Diana. The Queen said Diana's eating disorder was the cause of the marital problems. The marital problems exacerbated the bulimia which was retriggered after her engagement to Prince Charles. The bulimia was Diana's way of trying to maintain a sense of control psychologically in a system that beats down individuality and spirit. If Diana had been born a "Royal" a lot more would have been done to try to help her because then she would have been "one of their own" by blood. So many have married into that family, and so many have ran screaming to the exit.

that's right, look at Diana's pix when she was living with her friends, working and enjoying life, does she seem in those pix to have bulimia- anorexia problems? don't really think so.

tiaraprin said:
The Queen said Diana's eating disorder was the cause of the marital problems.

If the bulimia had been the cause of the initial marriage breakdown, it wouldn't be the first marriage to break down because of an eating disorder although I doubt if the Queen would have said these words. These disorders are really hard on a marriage and the people closest to the sufferer; its pretty common for marriages to break up and families to distance itself.

That's what you have such a hard time understanding. A normal family would have had problems dealing with the bulimia. I know, I've seen a normal family have to deal with this and they did no better than the royals. In fact they did a quite bit worse. Don't judge a situation unless you've been in it or are close enough to see the real picture.

Did the Royals try to help her? Yes. Was it enough? No because it never is, it usually takes someone from outside the situation.

And yes the Royals did close rank on Diana but that was only after she declared war on them in the press. You must be lucky and have only been around perfectly behaved, loving, tolerant, and infinitely patient families but there is no family that I know of personally that would NOT close ranks against an inlaw for declaring open war against them. Mothers are notoriously known for siding with their son against a daughter in law no matter how bad the son's transgression. In that circumstance, I think the Queen was more understanding of Diana than a lot of mother-in-laws would be.

Do you really believe it would have been natural for them to do otherwise?

tiaraprin said:
The Queen said Diana's eating disorder was the cause of the marital problems.

This quote is new to me. Do you know when she said it and to whom?

emily62_1 said:
I beg your pardon, HOW did he HELP her,???????????????????? maybe, by telling her, while she was eating, - what a waste of food, as what u're eating now, will soon go down in the toilet- this is roughly 1 of the mean nasty , cruel and mean remarks Charles used to make at Diana,

How do you know this? Diana is quoted as saying it - does that mean we have to believe every word of it, when she was engaged in a media war with him?

of course, she ran away from the table, crying....... when if I think of that man , his behaviour to his own wife..... he disgusts me.

Which, of course, is the exact reason why these things were said in the first place. "Poor little innocent me, nasty cruel unfeeling husband, he started it and now he's making it worse, they all hate me and there's no reason why they should, after all I've never talked to the press about them or anything, poor little innocent me...."

Doesn't it occur to you to wonder if there's maybe another side to this story, or are you OK with the notion that her side is simply the truth and there's no manipulation or rewriting of history going on?

emily62_1 said:
He helped by bringing her psychiatrists in the early years, even Diana says this. She also refused to take any prescriptions. But as for Charles's alleged cruel remarks which seem totally out of his nature, there is no proof of those.

emily62_1 said:
that's right, look at Diana's pix when she was living with her friends, working and enjoying life, does she seem in those pix to have bulimia- anorexia problems? don't really think so.
bulimics are often considered "ideal" people, and will go out of their way to be "people pleasers". They present an acceptable façade - seeming outgoing, confident, and independent

Diana looking happy doesn't mean she didn't have bulimia. Besides, Diana said that her bulimia started in the late seventies, from wanting to "emulate" Sarah. Plus, this version matches up with the profile of a bulimic, unlike the tales she spun about it just popping up after her marriage which have been befuddling psychologists since she said it.

Amen and Hallelujah to Elspeth and selrahC4! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
dianafan said:
To be there in United Kingdom still real fans of princess Diana or is them already forget????

I will never forget Diana. I got all the magazines, books, clippings, video of the wedding - yes I was up at such an ungodly hour to watch the whole thing on TV, I took the day off work to watch it and tape it. I was against her divorcing Charles but I understood why. I sat in my bedroom watching the events unfold when her death became news and stayed rooted to it until the funeral. Yes I taped that as well. I have watched her children grow up and I deplored Charles when he decided his mistress were going to marry. I've never liked Camilla even BEFORE she and Charles married other people back in the 1970's. No, I will never forget Diana.

Diana's Still Red Hot

As for your question Dianafan, Diana is still the most famous woman in the UK. She is the woman by which standard other royal women (or candidates) are beeing judged and evaluated and any 'revelation' or minor trivia about her makes headlines and sell hundred of thousand books.
So no, she definitely not forgotten. Personally I wished (for the sake of her kids and because she deserve it) that the attention would be less hysteric, or at least directed on her wonderful achievements, rather that all that trash about her private life again and again.

selrahc4 said:
This quote is new to me. Do you know when she said it and to whom?

It has been reported that Charles told the Queen and the Queen told the family and courtiers.

tiaraprin said:

well, I studied Di's Royal lineage, believe me, her blood was far more Royal than QEII and her husband.... btw, every1 knows that QV was not really the daughter of the duke of kent, who could not concieve, he was ill and elderly, she was a german gentleman's daughter. Di had had some bulimia episodes, be4e her wed, but Camilla and charles affair drove her to insanity! I can't c why William and Harry never think of this when they hug and are so nice to Camilla and their father, if I were them, i could not help but thinking how those 2s had affected their late mum's serenity and happiness.

branchg said:

I do think QEII deprived her from the title, she deserved it as she had married the Prince of Wales, becoming so HRH the Princess of Wales, I can't believe QEII wanted to give her back to Diana the title of HRH, after her death.... her bro, don't care about his marital pros, was right refusing it and telling every1 Di did not need any title to be a Royal, which were the exact words ?

cute_girl said:
I think she's still and will be called Princess Diana,in their official site you can see this "The Princess of Wales was killed in a car crash on 31 August 1997 in Paris."so she was still a princess at the time of her death though she was divorced.

of course, she never lost her own title!

Harry's polo shirt said:
I still call her Princess Diana. I think it was mean for the Queen to do what she did to Diana. The actions Queen Elizabeth took, concerning Princess Diana, lowered my opinion of her. After the divorce the queen showed her true colours, like stipping Diana of her title, not allowing Diana's name to be spoken around her, not wanting a royal funeral, all of that stuff.

it looks QEII and Charles are trying to make Di to be forgotten by ppl, 1 can't even leave flowers in front of Kensington Palace for Diana, that soon police take the flowers away, is it this as Charles doesn't want Cam to be hurt, have u read what happened in Bristol when Cam and Charles went for a visit and there was a huge Di's portrait dated 1987, when she opened something in this college, they had to shove the portrait away, for good, so poor camilla would not be hurt by Diana's portrait......

i would agree with emily62_1 because Princess Diana still in legend and many people loves Diana very much! but we would gives Diana a flower at her former home Kensington Palace on August 31st but the police will understand why on 31st? for? but Camilla is not popular royals but Diana is! and also Althorp too!

Sara Boyce

emily62_1 said:
of course, she never lost her own title!
That suggests that she was entitled to it forever, but she wasn't. She can't be HRH the Princess of Wales if she isn't married to HRH the Prince of Wales.

More royal than the royals?

emily62_1 said:
well, I studied Di's Royal lineage, believe me, her blood was far more Royal than QEII and her husband.
I doubt that. Especially when it comes to Philip who has one of the bluest blood in Europe. Maybe she was as 'royal' as the Queen. Maybe.

Alicky said:
That suggests that she was entitled to it forever, but she wasn't. She can't be HRH the Princess of Wales if she isn't married to HRH the Prince of Wales.

well, how can u explain that she stayed Princess of Wales, while Cam is not- Cam chose very wisely not to get the Royal title of Princess of Wales, it would have caused more and more despice for her person, don't know if u lose the title, but wasn't sarah the Duchess of York even after her divorce from Prince Andrew?

:

Idriel said:
I doubt that. Especially when it comes to Philip who has one of the bluest blood in Europe. Maybe she was as 'royal' as the Queen. Maybe.

well, no, I'll show u, maybe Philip, if u consider QV a Royal, as he descends from QV; WHILE DI DESCENDED FROM THE STUARTS

emily62_1 said:
but wasn't sarah the Duchess of York even after her divorce from Prince Andrew?

Yes i think she was, could be wrong but i think she is still the Duchess of York

Diana lost the HRH not the Princess of Wales. Giving her the title HRH after the divorce would mean that she would still be part of the Royal Family after her divorce. Since Diana made some public attacks against the whole Royal Family and not just Charles, its understandable that they would only want members of the family that would support them not attack the whole bunch of them.

The title Princess of Wales she kept which is in keeping with other royal divorces.

After her divorce Princess Alexandra of Denmark lost the royal in the Royal Highness, even though she gets along very well with her former inlaws.

emily62_1 said:
well, how can u explain that she stayed Princess of Wales, while Cam is not- Cam chose very wisely not to get the Royal title of Princess of Wales, it would have caused more and more despice for her person, don't know if u lose the title, but wasn't sarah the Duchess of York even after her divorce from Prince Andrew?
That is something I always wondered about. To be honest I don't get it. Why are they still the PoW and DoY if they aren't married to the PoW and DoY? Is there some technical glitch I'm missing? In fact, for a long time I assumed that Diana's marital titles were all stripped away and that she was back to Lady Diana in her last year.

Back
Top Bottom