Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and she did not get "no support from Charles". He was busy with his work, true, but she too was supposed to be busy with learning the royal ropes, and preparting for the wedding.

I just finished reading "The Housekeeper's Diary". It is very eye opening from the perspective of someone who worked for Diana and Prince Charles in regards to Diana's personal relationships.

I'm sure he would have been very wary if asked to recommend a cameraman.

The word used in the article was cameraman. Edward was in television production and would now that term even though it was not a common term back then.

I think that Diana approaching Edward for the recommendation clearly shows that she not only maintained a friendship with him but she trusted him.

I don't think Edward would have thought twice about the request either. He's been in and around the royal family all of his life and he could easily have thought that Diana needed a cameraman to record on film something that she was involved in at the time.

I don't doubt that Diana and Edward had a good relationship between them but then again, I don't think he was that close to her that he would have connected Diana and a cameraman to something dastardly going on.

I also really liked "The Housekeeper's Diary". From Ms. Berry's day to day interactions with the Waleses at Highgrove, it really did paint a picture of how mercurial Diana was in her moods. I think this was the first book that I read that gave me the insight that Diana was a very complex individual and that together, Diana and Charles suited each other like oil and vinegar. They were just two vastly different people.

given that he was pretty bad in using his film company to shadow William when he was at Uni, perhaps he would not have been wary but I cant' imagine why anyone would NOT be dubious about Diana asking about a camera man. Why would she need one? if she was doing a legit project, for one of her charities, they would hardly require her to provide one..
I try to avoid books like Wendy Berry's because the authors are completely in te wrong in writing them, but surely there is plenty of evidence from many sources that Diana was very mercurial.. to the point that some have said she had no "centre" almost..
She didnt' seem to realise at times how very inconsistnet her behaviour was.

Last edited:
I also really liked "The Housekeeper's Diary". From Ms. Berry's day to day interactions with the Waleses at Highgrove, it really did paint a picture of how mercurial Diana was in her moods. I think this was the first book that I read that gave me the insight that Diana was a very complex individual and that together, Diana and Charles suited each other like oil and vinegar. They were just two vastly different people.

What interested me was that Ms Berry genuinely seemed to bring a level hand to her memoir. :flowers: She stated that she wrote it to off-set the rampant rumors abroad at that time (fomented by Diana) that Charles was not a good father, or a hands-on father. To that single purpose she clearly spoke and set the record straight.

She made several tantalizing side mentions that she never goes into in depth but if one is able to suss out between the lines a fairly interesting back-story is evident, especially timelines for significant people present in Diana's and Charles' life. She did say in an interview at the time that she knew far more than she ever put into the memoir.

What intrigues me is even as much as she saw Diana in all her 'rawness' (and that of the two Charles was the better employer/boss) she gives a very clear picture of why Diana was so compelling (and she admits to being a bit besotted herself). I especially was taken with her relating her meeting with Diana for the first time (when she got hired): all the 'touches' of the grand aristocratic presence are evident in that 'magical' moment. Ms Berry admits to having been more charmed by Diana to the point that it likely was noted and cost her the position with Charles when the household was breaking up. She was clearly heartbroken losing her position.

It is also the only book I have read that gives up an anecdote that indicates just how 'vivid' (and joyous) the sex life of the couple was (prior to Ms Berry's time). Making Diana's later diss of her husband's 'prowess' all the more seamy, low brow and petty. :sad: More insight into Diana's character, that she would say such stuff about her (then) husband.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom