Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's negativity about Diana, but she and Charles were divorced, and it was a very bitter divorce at that. It's going to be a bit awkward if something else at a royal palace is named after the future king's ex. Something at Althorp might work better.

I think the divorce itself went smoothly....under the circumstances. The events leading up to it didn't. The custody arrangements were worked out, where she would live and the settlement. Diana is also the mother of a future King and also the grandmother of another future king. It's not as if she is just an "ex." Charles Spencer left the items in the Althorp exhibit to his royal nephews.

I wasn't aware of this statue. If that's what her sons want then good for them.

I'm not sure how relevant Diana is to today's Britain really, especially to anyone under 30 (a third of the population). There again I'm not sure how relevant any of the royal family are really.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of this statue. If that's what her sons want then good for them.

I'm not sure how relevant Diana is to today's Britain really, especially to anyone under 30 (a third of the population). There again I'm not sure how relevant any of the royal family are really.

There is still a nostalgic affection for her, but Im not sure there is a big demand for the statue and Will and H seem to be rather slow at getting the project finished but of course other things have intervened.

There is still a nostalgic affection for her, but Im not sure there is a big demand for the statue and Will and H seem to be rather slow at getting the project finished but of course other things have intervened.

Certainly some (many?) people have a residual affection for her memory but as you imply I'm certainly not aware of any groundswell of support for another memorial.

Certainly some (many?) people have a residual affection for her memory but as you imply I'm certainly not aware of any groundswell of support for another memorial.

But ther has never been a very good memorial.. the awufl fountain didn't look good.. and the garden while pretty, is not as permanent as something like a portrait or a statue. Having said that I don't think a statue is a very good idea, it doesn't seem to be likely to capture the grace and beauty of Diana

:previous: So keep wasting time and money on memorials until they get one right??? What happens if this statue doesn't live up to your standards? On to trial number 4?

The garden can be replanted every year not an issue, not going away there. There already is a living tribute to her, the Diana award. Not something a tribute to vanity (appearance) but something that continues her charitable work which we keep being told by her fans, was the true Diana.

If this statue was going to be done, a decade or two ago would have been the right time.

:previous: So keep wasting time and money on memorials until they get one right??? What happens if this statue doesn't live up to your standards? On to trial number 4?

The garden can be replanted every year not an issue, not going away there. There already is a living tribute to her, the Diana award. Not something a tribute to vanity (appearance) but something that continues her charitable work which we keep being told by her fans, was the true Diana.

If this statue was going to be done, a decade or two ago would have been the right time.

the statue has nothing to do iwht me, Its Willaim and Harry's project. I don't think its a great idea but its their idea and if they want to do it they will.

It's not a good time for building statues due to the virus of course. And people are discouraged from gathering in parks.

the statue has nothing to do iwht me, Its Willaim and Harry's project. I don't think its a great idea but its their idea and if they want to do it they will.

I agree that the brothers do want to see a stature erected in Diana's memory. It would appear that based upon their actions, they and their committee believe that the 20th anniversary of her death was the appropriate time to announce their plan for the statue. Unfortunately their projected timeline to have it created and erected was not a feasible one.

We'll just have to wait until we hear further updates on the statue.

Something about bronze sculpting that does not do well for an elegant lady. It seems to make them look much older than they really are. In fact several of the different metals used in most sculptures tend to accentuate wrinkles and teeth so much that in some cases they are almost hideous looking. I'm wondering if they would possibly consider hyper-realism. They have some of the best sculptors in the world right there in London such as Ron Mueck or Duane Hanson. Of course their work would not be appropriate for outdoors, although indoors it might seem too eerie as well. Just thinking out loud...don't mind me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyp...VNLKwKHQecBIQQ_AUoAXoECBMQAw&biw=1360&bih=598

Last edited:
I agree that the brothers do want to see a stature erected in Diana's memory. It would appear that based upon their actions, they and their committee believe that the 20th anniversary of her death was the appropriate time to announce their plan for the statue. Unfortunately their projected timeline to have it created and erected was not a feasible one.

We'll just have to wait until we hear further updates on the statue.

I wonder if it has been shelved. With harry moving away, he has a lot on his mind and with the pandemic, it isn't IMO likely to be completed any time soon...

I wonder if it has been shelved. With harry moving away, he has a lot on his mind and with the pandemic, it isn't IMO likely to be completed any time soon...
I'm only speculating Denville, but I'm sure by now they have been able to express to the artist Ian Rank-Broadley, of what they are wanting in the past year or so. I would think he is probably taking his own sweet time to get it right. I have checked and found no new information though....so you also could have a very valid point.

Something about bronze sculpting that does not do well for an elegant lady. It seems to make them look much older than they really are. In fact several of the different metals used in most sculptures tend to accentuate wrinkles and teeth so much that in some cases they are almost hideous looking. I'm wondering if they would possibly consider hyper-realism. They have some of the best sculptors in the world right there in London such as Ron Mueck or Duane Hanson. Of course their work would not be appropriate for outdoors, although indoors it might seem too eerie as well. Just thinking out loud...don't mind me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hyp...VNLKwKHQecBIQQ_AUoAXoECBMQAw&biw=1360&bih=598

Definitely an interesting choice of sculpture, however I believe your concerns about the piece withstanding the weather is likely why they'd go for a bronze.

I'm only speculating Denville, but I'm sure by now they have been able to express to the artist Ian Rank-Broadley, of what they are wanting in the past year or so. I would think he is probably taking his own sweet time to get it right. I have checked and found no new information though....so you also could have a very valid point.

At the moment the artist could go on iwht his work, as far as I know, it is not something that one needs to have a lot of close contact with people to do it.. But it seems to have disappeared off the radar since last summer and of course Harry's living abroad, and even before the pandemic, it kind of feels like it was on hold/delayed. Possibly there are disagreements with the artist about how the work's turning out... or possibly with all that's been happening both before and since the Covid crisis, it just has been shelved. I just don't think a statue is right for Diana. Statues are OK for old generals, but her beauty was a vivid lifelike thing.. and a statue wont capture it...

Thanks for naming the sculptor. I googled him and like his work, hopefully he will do Diana justice.

I took a look at the Roll of Honour for 2019 of The Diana Award and I'm actually amazed that there are people who came from countries outside of the Commonwealth (or even from countries outside of those previously colonized by the UK) who were able to receive the award. This is just to show that Princess Diana's legacy is not just confined to countries outside the Commonwealth, or to those countries that were former UK colonies.

I just don't think a statue is right for Diana. Statues are OK for old generals, but her beauty was a vivid lifelike thing.. and a statue wont capture it...

Probably not.
Also, such statues tend to get graffitied if let unattended for long.

Still, if that's what her sons want, it is harmless.

Probably not.
Also, such statues tend to get graffitied if let unattended for long.

Still, if that's what her sons want, it is harmless.

true.. I woud have liked to see a memorial to her, other than things like awards.. something visual like a portrait, or even maybe a marble statue that was good...but It would have to be something indoors...
.. but its never worked out very well. Look at the Fountain, it was an awful mistake.
And W and Harry IMO have left it on the long finger for a very long time.. to do something. they are grown men now for many years...and they could have done something to memorialise her ages ago.

Maybe if a memorial is made something like the idea of the 'picture on a marker' is appropriate, then iconic pictures could be chosen as-is

like at the Parcourse Princesse Grace in Monaco:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...ZTD_YsIDF0_HpWg1UKLU0FaVjST8mtuvR0SHhNDffI1Dg

Sadly few of her memorials seem to have worked out well. The Fountain was a complete disaster, the Garden is pretty but i thought it was a bit overly formal...and a statue will not convey her beauty....

Sadly few of her memorials seem to have worked out well. The Fountain was a complete disaster, the Garden is pretty but i thought it was a bit overly formal...and a statue will not convey her beauty....

Featuring water in and of itself was not a bad choice, but to limit it with nothing else, no raised structure.. just a canal dug at ground level, points to the spartan side, or frugal. Whatever the original concept, the result seems less than complimentary to her. Maybe during the summer, when crowds and kids wade in, it would have more appeal?

:flowers: :

https://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Italy/Lazio/Rome/Tivoli/photo984146.htm

Last edited:
The fountain on the ground was supposed to reflect her inclusiveness, less formal nature and love of children so people could go paddling, but that didn't work out very well once people started falling over and bashing their heads on the marble or turning the site into a muddy bog with water everywhere.

I don't think it is attractive at all and I wouldn't want to go paddling in it having seen it in person. The idea was fine but the execution horrible.

It was hideous and a complete waste of time and Money. I dotn know what it was meant to represent but it was a mess. So I've given up hoping for a memorial to Diana that is attractive and meaningful...

The Fountain was a complete disaster, the Garden is pretty but i thought it was a bit overly formal...and a statue will not convey her beauty....

I thought the garden is not formal at all, and a lovely, albeit crowded, place for children to play.

I thought the garden is not formal at all, and a lovely, albeit crowded, place for children to play.

I only saw pics of the garden but it looked a bit rigid, may have become less so now. but teh "fountain" was a disaster. I went to see it once when it had been in place for some time. There was nobody there, and my feet were so hot after a long walk - But it completely lacked style or elegance...

It seems to me it was not given the proper time for plan it. I think the blueprint for the one decided on should have been rejected and others be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom