Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Diana's strong and enduring legacy is her sons, and their children and grandchildren and on through the generations [....]

That is not really Diana's legacy. That is the legacy of Diana AND Charles. Without Charles, no Diana's sons.Her tragic death caused that in their sons' formative years, in their adolescence, there was only Charles.

Last edited:
I was talking to friends only the other day about this and wondering what was happening. Of course it must be completely right in Diana's sons' eyes, but I hope it doesn't take too long!

I don't think it will be such that people are all happy with it. I think that people are going to say "it doesn't look right" or "doesn't really look like her".

Diana's legacy will also continue. She was the first of many things and a great princess.

Diana's legacy will also continue. She was the first of many things and a great princess.

THe first of what things? I feel the statue is a waste of money that people will be dissatisfied with it, and it will not capture her at all...

Diana's sons commissioned this statue, a committee raised funds for it and I would guess that William and Harry have had the final say in the design and execution of the statue, so, if members of the public who haven't contributed to the project in any way object to it aesthetically, I guess they should take it up with the brothers. If they feel it embodies their mother's spirit when it's completed then IMO that's all that can be asked.

Brass seems to be the common choice, the more durable material. Still, it's regrettable that very little of anything gets carved from stone anymore.

Determination and commitment to the craft is awe inspiring. Perhaps not a zen master, but she's very good. :arrow: Also, London based.

Last edited:
(Moderators-I am placing this news here as it seemed to be the most appropriate thread. However please move it if you believe it belongs elsewhere.)

Prince William sends a letter to the Diana Award.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/cambr...pens-letter-to-diana-award-organisers-142623/

William’s letter reads:
“I wanted to write to send my support and thanks to all the staff, volunteers and supporters of The Diana Award.
“My brother and I remain ever appreciative of the work you do to foster, develop and support young people, particularly at this time of uncertainty.
“Whilst you are finding yourselves adapting to new ways of working, there is no doubt that your support for you people, through what will be anxious and unsettling times for many, is as important as ever.
“This comes with my very best wishes for good health to you and your families over the coming weeks.”

More about the Diana Award.

The Diana Award was founded in 1999 by the British Government as a way to continue Diana’s legacy “by establishing a formal way to recognise young people who were going above and beyond the expected in their local communities,” according to the Award’s website.
Over the past 20 years, The Diana Award has recognised the work of over 49,000 young people from all over the world “for their social action and humanitarian work.” With the Award’s anti-bullying programme, over 33,000 young people are trained in the Anti-Bullying Ambassador programme, and their Mentoring Programme has helped nearly 2,000 young people.
William and Harry have both been involved with The Diana Award, attending the ceremonies and hosting receptions for winners at Kensington Palace.

Last edited:
Why would it be William's project? Harry was Diana's son too and has been deeply involved from the beginning. It was reported only recently that the brothers had disagreed about the design, (and I would imagine that dozens of designs have already been submitted to the two brothers. After all, it's been a while since the project began.) And there are phones, Skype, letters, for communication, plus sketches/models that can be sent overseas.

Last edited:
Nothing is there at the moment though the statue was going to be in place long before this. We don't even know if the sculptor has finished any piece that is acceptable to the brothers and their advisers.

I think there will be a small but meaningful ceremony when the statue is finally unveiled at KP. I don't believe it will be until the Covid-19 crisis is over and international travel is permitted again and I do think Harry will be there for the unveiling.

While William is the one residing in the UK, Harry can give his input via a video chat. That being said it might be awhile before Harry will have the opportunity to see the work in person.

A ceremony to unveil will not be had until covid bans are lifted. Harry and Meghan plan to make return trips to the UK (why they kept their house). I doubt the ceremony will be held before travel restrictions are lifted.

Harry can over see the statue by skype just as well as his brother is. William may be in the UK but he is not at Kensington either. He is up at Amner hall. Neither brother will be visiting the sculptor in person to put input any time soon. The benefits of the modern world, all of this can be done remotely.

The only one involved who needs to be in person is the sculptor himself ?

I have yet to have seen a decent sculpture of Diana, and I have looked as much as possible to find one. The only likeness of her is the wax figures in all of the Madame Tussauds Wax Museums and actually only a few of them look like her. The Diana Memorial Fountain cost 3.6 million pounds and is impressive yet it also is not of her likeness. Yes there are probably lots of negative haters that might think a sculpture of her is a waste of money, but not to the people who love her and loved her. When I think of her I can always see her with Prince William and Prince Harry, or hugging little children all over the world. She did much more than that with Aids and landmines, but I hope the new sculpture captures the positive side of Diana, and look forward to its unveiling some day.

I've thought about this statue being made from time to time and if I had any kind of input into the sculpture, this is what I'd suggest.

Take this iconic photo of Diana and use it as a model for the sculpture. Of course, the photograph became "iconic" not because of the posing and the children but when you see the photo, you'll remember. I'm sure that could be easily done away with in a sculpture. To me, it embraces Diana as a woman and a loving mother. The haircut at the time is also iconic. ?

Another perspective of this being an idea is that it reflects only Diana. Not as The Princess of Wales or Diana, Princess of Wales but just as Diana, herself.

https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/Lady-Diana-Spencer--photographed-with-ch/9A534854585A3A4C

She looks so innocent back then Osipi. I try to think of it a hundred years from now and what it should reflect about her. Her contribution to the royal family would be Prince William who someday might be king and also Prince Harry, so one of my favorite pictures is this one. However, that would not have been the pose I was after....but close. To me she looks happy, regal, and mature yet caring for her young sons.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/aa/52/37/aa5237033f321216c9f784a7c5192f47.jpg

I really don't see where it matter what I think. Its more along the lines of what her sons want that counts. But... as you asked, I actually think the White Garden at Kensington Palace is enough. :D

am i in the minority in that i don't think she should have a statue?

I agree. What is her legacy anyway, the topic of this thread? In the ultimate end she damaged the monarchy, her son William has limited charisma, Catherine (wisely) has no any intention to be a Diana-type of royal, and her son Harry now has decided to continue the damaging work on the monarchy his late mother started.

Note: Charles and Camilla are now longer married than Charles and Diana. Hard to imagine but true. This to illustrate how in a whirl all was over again, that royal intermezzo called Diana of Wales.

Statues should be to meritorious people. That is why I have mixed feelings about the statue of the late Queen Elizabeth as well. And what I have seen in proposed statues was so tacky, Diana is better honoured with a new lush green flowery Diana, Princess of Wales Park (as big as Central Park New York) in overcrowded Greater London than with an overlooked statuette. Especially after the Covid-19 lock down, such a great new park for London would be an enrichment for the life quality of millions. And is that not what Diana (hopefully) wanted, a lasting contribution to many?

A similar idea: the hanging gardens crossing the Thames, naming it Diana, Princess of Wales Garden Bridge.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the statue idea. If anything they could have a nice picture of her working with one of her charities etc permanently mounted at the entrance to the gardens etc. I think it's rare a statue can capture a likeness very well, it comes off looking odd.

LaRae

I think there should be one in front of Kensington Palace. It's what I closely associate her with. Though I think they may have waited too long to do this.

I really don't see where it matter what I think. Its more along the lines of what her sons want that counts. But... as you asked, I actually think the White Garden at Kensington Palace is enough. :D

More than enough !!!

London as scuppered the idea of a Garden Bridge over the Thames (while Paris will build three similar bridges over the Seine...).

If that project was continued and named the Diana, Princess of Wales Garden Bridge it would have been a new true London landmark named after her.

I don't think that floating fiasco officially had Diana's name attached, although that was the original idea a few years after she died.

When I'm interested in historical figures I look at portraits and sculptures. I don't go look at a waterfall, a garden, or whatever. Just like Diana's ancestors...I looked at their portraits and a few sculptures. When people want to belittle her the first thing I notice is they will never mention what she accomplished in the world with her charities and her interests in helping the poor, the sick, and the injured. They love to talk about her negative aspects and of course that would be the reasoning for not wanting a sculpture. I get that, but what about the people who loved her, and also her sons..? I say they count as I would want the same for my mother as well. I guess I just don't understand the hate involved with people concerning her. Of all the books I have read on her she did an awful lot to sincerely help people. Mother Teresa thought so. If they don't want it at Kensington Palace..then put it at Althorp Estate.

Having seen the White Garden in all of its full bloom splendor, I believe that it is a fitting tribute to the late Diana, Princess of Wales. However it does appear to be something that her sons truly want to see erected for her.

Hopefully we'll hear an update on it very soon. As I recall the last time anything was publicly mentioned about it was in 2019 when Prince William spoke to well wishers outside of KP on Diana's birthday.

I don't think that floating fiasco officially had Diana's name attached, although that was the original idea a few years after she died.

Nothing, from statuette to park to fountain to bridge to whatever, was proposed when Diana died. So everything will be something Diana has never seen herself.

That Garden Bridge was not at all a floating one but a real bridge as ships had to sail under it. Of course it equally could have been named the Margaret Thatcher Bridge . But hey... let London waste another opportunity anyway and go for a statuette which could go for anyone's but Diana's looks. In New York the construction of Pier 51, their future garden bridge, is under way: https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/image00063-1024x723.jpeg No blabla, just do it.

Last edited:
Here is a video clip with the landscape designer and the gardener(s) discussing the planning of the White Garden. If you view it you'll see the seasonal planting changes that happened over the year. I had the opportunity to see it in the summer of 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom