Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry but visiting people in the hospital is not going to make her go down in the history books. yes, she was an amazing person, and a breath of fresh air in the BRF, but nothing that is going to be for the history books, besides being the mother of a future king. And maybe her more infamous moments. People love royal scandals, look how popular Henry VIII and his wives still are.

I think that the War of the Waleses will be in the history books: "Her True Story", the Dimbleby documentary and book, and the Panorama interview. I don't agree with a statue for Diana. There are many other memorials to her which involve living, breathing people.

To be honest, I believe that the UK is at the stage where if anyone is going to be memorialized in any shape or form, it will be HM, Queen Elizabeth II. Her legacy is much more far reaching and encompasses a much longer period of time and already is starting to be encapsulated as the second Elizabethan era.

I also do not see any reason for memorials to be built to honor Diana. She was what she was and her legacy is very much alive in the two boys she raised, their families and how they affect the UK as a whole. In the future also, I would imagine that when it comes down to the legacies of of Wills and Harry, their father will be given equal recognition as far as influencing them.

:previous: Yes, I agree. There is so much out there by which to remember Diana, and it will be available to future generations. Her dresses will be appearing on display in years to come in Palace exhibitions, children will play in the parks, Londoners and tourists will walk on the Walk, and cyberspace will have many archives of videos and articles. She will not be forgotten.

To be honest, I believe that the UK is at the stage where if anyone is going to be memorialized in any shape or form, it will be HM, Queen Elizabeth II. Her legacy is much more far reaching and encompasses a much longer period of time and already is starting to be encapsulated as the second Elizabethan era.

I also do not see any reason for memorials to be built to honor Diana. She was what she was and her legacy is very much alive in the two boys she raised, their families and how they affect the UK as a whole. In the future also, I would imagine that when it comes down to the legacies of of Wills and Harry, their father will be given equal recognition as far as influencing them.

I do agree with a lot of what you have said (question that the boys really will honour their father in any way - but that is just me - they don't seem to ever really mention him, unless they are doing a specific interview about him it is always their mother and not their father who is mentioned as influencing them. They never voluntarily mention him.)

As for
already is starting to be encapsulated as the second Elizabethan era.
I think the implication that this is something recent might surprise Winston Churchill who used that term in 1952 - early February to be exact - just as it was starting.

None of us KNOWS with certainty what will be remembered and what will not 100 years from now. We all just have opinions. :flowers:

As for I think the implication that this is something recent might surprise Winston Churchill who used that term in 1952 - early February to be exact - just as it was starting.

I know I can count on you to set the historical facts straight. I've just put a check mark by my "things to do today" list where it says learn something new. :D

I do agree with a lot of what you have said (question that the boys really will honour their father in any way - but that is just me - they don't seem to ever really mention him, unless they are doing a specific interview about him it is always their mother and not their father who is mentioned as influencing them. They never voluntarily mention him.)

As for I think the implication that this is something recent might surprise Winston Churchill who used that term in 1952 - early February to be exact - just as it was starting.

William and Harry do make their father proud, but they always make sure to talk about the one parent that's no longer here. They want to keep her memory alive.

William and Harry do make their father proud, but they always make sure to talk about the one parent that's no longer here. They want to keep her memory alive.

Agreed, especially as it seems some are intent on her memory slipping away, im glad they make sure its kept around.

I don't think there's one person who has had someone near and dear and beloved to them that has passed on that doesn't do certain things that will keep the memories of that loved one alive. For example, when I'm missing my mom, I put on a bit of the perfume she used to wear as it keeps her close.

Its natural that this happens in families but on a public scale, I think after a certain amount of time has passed, people move on to other things and the public memory fades. Its happened with many famous personages that have passed on. James Dean, Elvis, Monroe, and even JFK. The list goes on and on. They'll always be remembered but not on a grand scale. This also happens with unexpected events such as Pearl Harbor, 9/11, 7/7 and others. They're never quite forgotten but the shock, outpouring of grief and outrage fades with time. Its nature's way of healing.

I believe Diana falls into these categories.

Everyone's memory slips away. Diana did some groundbreaking things. Touch an AIDS patient bare handed and being a princess, too. The queen wears gloves to touch anyone. 50 years from now, Elizabeth will be remembered as living a very long time. She has done nothing groundbreaking. Just a very nice and decent person. George III lived a very long time, if not for the Revolutionary War, who would remember him? Yes, Diana was an icon in many ways, but icons fade, too. Victoria was Elizabeth in her day. Perhaps, greater. More influence on the continent. Today, she is a statue of a short, stout lady. That's how things go.

:previous:

An excellent observation Osipi. IMHO most of us realize that over time that even the most admired will become less relevant in the eyes of future generations.

If there was to be a statue sculpted, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the picture of Diana and the children. :flowers:

:previous: Memorial statues are to mark the passing of someone of importance. Both Diana's boys are hale and hearty and it would be downright creepy having them immortalised in a memorial statue.

Ahhhh.... my eyes fail me once again. I didn't realize it was Wills and Harry with Diana in the photo. I thought they were random children. Nope... not a good idea to put Wills and Harry on a memorial. They'll make their own mark on the UK all by themselves. :online2lo

Just looked at the photo again carefully and they are random children and the notations say photo was pre-marriage years. Most likely taken at the kindergarten she worked at perhaps?

Last edited:
Great debate as to who or what deserves to be memorialized. There can never be a full consensus, but I tend to believe that there would really be no reason to create a statue of Diana. By the way can anyone tell me the first year that she touched/interacted with AIDS patients?

Great debate as to who or what deserves to be memorialized. There can never be a full consensus, but I tend to believe that there would really be no reason to create a statue of Diana. By the way can anyone tell me the first year that she touched/interacted with AIDS patients?

April 1987 during AIDS awareness campaign. Packets were sent to all households. Diana touching an AIDS patient was part of the campaign and not her idea. It was suggested in January 1987.

ETA: Interesting that BBC think it was two years later in July of 1989.

Last edited:
I want to make clear a post I made saying Harry is Diana's legacy. Of course William is also Diana's legacy but to me Harry has so many of Diana's ways and the way he interacts with people and informal way he hugs people etc. to me he is following in her steps so is her legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, they were taken early in the fall of 1980 and they were kindergarten children. I'm thinking in September. It was during this session that the infamous photos were taken of Diana with the sunlight showing through her skirt.

Just looked at the photo again carefully and they are random children and the notations say photo was pre-marriage years. Most likely taken at the kindergarten she worked at perhaps?

April 1987 during AIDS awareness campaign. Packets were sent to all households. Diana touching an AIDS patient was part of the campaign and not her idea. It was suggested in January 1987.

ETA: Interesting that BBC think it was two years later in July of 1989.

But, she did it. No white gloves.

Diana did touch patients without protest, though, and her work with them had such an impact. I agree with Royal Rob about Diana's legacy with her boys. Harry has all the empathy and authenticity Diana had in such abundance, and it's good that he's involved with Halo and the land mine issues too.

Last edited:
Diana did touch patients without protest, though, and her work with them had such an impact. I agree with Royal Rob about Diana's legacy with her boys. Harry has all the empathy and authenticity Diana had in such abundance, and it's good that he's involved with Halo and the land mine issues too.

Yes, she did without gloves, and there was some consternation by the BRF about it at the time. They had wanted Charles to come but he was committed elsewhere, but Diana was offered and well, the rest is history.

I laugh how Camilla-philes try and knock her work, you didnt see other Royals jumping in to do this sort of thing at that time. Look at even a few years later when Barbara Bush is visiting AIDS patients with Diana and the closeness and comfort level she shows vs. the First Lady.

If I had to estimate the other BRF's reaction to doing that, it'd be more like her reaction than Diana's. Trying to knock her AIDS work is a losing hand, theres so much better areas to try and get some anti-Diana traction.

But, she did it. No white gloves.

Diana did touch patients without protest, though, and her work with them had such an impact.

In 1987 she was told to touch an AIDS patients barehanded. It was not her idea.

This was the point of her visit in April 1987 during AIDS awareness in the U.K.

The idea was from the Minister of Health or someone along those lines after visiting San Francisco. The idea was hatched in San Francisco in January of 1987.

(I had posted the article detailing this about a year ago on this forum but the link is no longer available.)

The BRF was behind the idea.

The 1989 visit was a repeat but outdoors. I guess the first visit did not get the same traction so there was a repeat which would explain why the BBC said it was the first time.

Last edited:
IN 1987 she was told to touch an AIDS patients barehanded. It was not her idea.

This was the point of her visit in April 1987 during AIDS awareness in the U.K.

The idea was from the Minister of Health or someone along those lines after visiting San Francisco. The idea was hatched in San Francisco in January of 1987.

(I had posted the article detailing this about a year ago on this forum but the link is no longer available.)

The BRF was behind the idea.

The 1989 visit was a repeat but outdoors. I guess the first visit did not get the same traction so there was a repeat which would explain why the BBC said it was the first time.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=bF...3MAU#v=onepage&q=diana aids handshake&f=false

pg 158 Mike Adler , clinician in charge, suggested it would do a great deal to remove public anxiety and the stigma of AIDS if the princess was seen to be shaking hands with a patient. The Palace intially asked if she should wear gloves to protect herself....It is of great CREDIT to the Princess and her advisers that she AGREED to the gloveless handshake...once she AGREED he was quick to realize the potential!!!!!

https://books.google.ca/books?id=pa...=onepage&q=diana aids handshake&f=false\\-age 95
Arthur Edwards "She was going against all the advice from the old guard at Buckingham Palace" in reference to her bare handshake.

If the royals were so keen on touching AIDS patients why did the Queens first visit happen in 2007???

Queen follows in Diana's footsteps | Blogs | Comment | Daily Express

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's memory slips away. Diana did some groundbreaking things. Touch an AIDS patient bare handed and being a princess, too. The queen wears gloves to touch anyone. 50 years from now, Elizabeth will be remembered as living a very long time. She has done nothing groundbreaking. Just a very nice and decent person. George III lived a very long time, if not for the Revolutionary War, who would remember him? Yes, Diana was an icon in many ways, but icons fade, too. Victoria was Elizabeth in her day. Perhaps, greater. More influence on the continent. Today, she is a statue of a short, stout lady. That's how things go.
I could have written so much, but I will answer you and some other posters here with what I wrote in another thread:

Our beloved, iconic, remarkable Elizabeth II is the UK and the Commonwealth and she is as Obama said a jewel to the world.

She is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations as no other. She's was known as the world's top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II.

She is as several of the so-called experts said on British/American/Canadian television during her 90th birthday celebrations and Jubilee celebrations in 2012 a symbol of continuity and goodness in the world. And as Baroness Scotland said during an interview: She is kind, caring, warm, forgiving and concerned with poor people, young people and people who are struggling.

Monarchs, Presidents, former Prime Ministers, former employees and family member have said the same and the Queen herself has mentioned it several times in her speeches over the years.

She is simply THE QUEEN and world leders around the world admirer her, and she make me proud to be half-British. We should be proud to live in this admirable lady's reign.

There will be no one like her again, and I agree with Tony Parsons that she will be the last monarch who will be a truly unifying force in our nation, but the monarchy will continue to endure in to future with Charles, William and George.

And you can not compare the Queen's legacy with the legacy of a controversial person, which almost no Britons under 30 care about.

Diana was pretty controversial before her death. She had turned a revered institution in to her own soap opera, she attacked her husband on television, she embarrassed the Queen and was putting the future of her sons at risk etc. I'm not saying that Charles was innocent, but he didn't attack Diana on TV or in front of the kids.

When it comes to her charity work: I think it took her several years to become patron of approximately 100 charities and she accepted many of them to boost her popularity during the 90s. She then (I think) dropped most of them.

And when it comes to her death: As cepe wrote in this post:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/the-royal-family-and-the-media-11937-12.html#post1871170
The immediate response of the British people was to turn on the press. So what did the press do? Turn it round and blame HMQ. With hindsight we know what HMQ did in looking after her grandchildren was the right thing.

Most people today (even journalists) regrets the way they attacked/bullied the Queen in the days following Diana's death. And the monarchy is more popular today than it was during the Diana years. We've had record high support for the monarchy in several polls since 2002, some of over 80%.

Although she is indeed the Queen of the UK, she isn't a saint. And like all humans I am sure that also QEII has made one or two mistakes in those 90 years. Her role as a constitutional monarch has prevented her from wielding too much powers and from participating actively in government. She will therefore probably be remembered by the time she ruled and will symbolise post-war Britain. The same can be said of Queen Victoria, who is mostly remembered by the period that was named after her and not by her personal achievements - which I am sure were many.

The late princess of Wales may have been ground breaking in her charities. But charities and royalty come hand in hand and things that were ground breaking at the time will be regarded as normal in the future. Many royals have done good deeds in the past and will do so in the future. She will probably mostly be remembered as a glamourous royal figure with an eventful and tragic life, much as Empress Elisabeth of Austria, Queen Charlotte of Prussia and perhaps Marie-Antoinette.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom