Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Press Report on Prince Charles's Last Letter to Diana:
http://royal-lover.tumblr.com/image/50361826784

Thanks for sharing this!

It's really nice to see that despite the fact that the marriage ended rather disastrously and is probably best known for the War of the Waleses that encompassed the early 90s, both parties managed to set their differences and problems aside and become friends again. While each of the Queen's elder children had their own marital problems, they all seem to have been able to handle good relationships with their exes post-divorce. In the case of Charles and Diana I just wish we remembered that ending more and focused on the illusion of the fairy tale beginning and the disastrous separation less.

Thanks for sharing! Ot does show how Diana and Charles were reaching a bit of a truce in Diana Final months. There seem to be some friendly affection between them before she died. I think the letter showed that Charles still loved Diana in a way (maybe not romantically but a least as the mother of his Children's ) They seem to get closer after the divorce and made better friends. A least for Their kids sake they were able to put their differences aside and be friends. There are some divorced couples who can't stand to be in the same room together! Who knows if Diana had lived there might have been a small chance of reconciliation.

The beginning was the good and The end (last year of Diana life) was Good. It is the stuff in the middle that is not good and what we are always concentrating on. We should focus on the beginning and the end.

I know this is a lot different but Edward VII had affairs bit he still loved his Wife Alexandra in spite if his affairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't heard that Diana accepted any responsibility for the breakdown of the marriage, when was this?
During the Panorama interview, she said something about accepting 50%. I can't remember the exact quote.

...He doesn't have to go to a concert to remember her. That was the sort of thing that was put on the satisfy the 'fans' who needed to have their demands mollified...
IIRC William and Harry put the concert together as a tribute to their mother 10 years after her death. In their interview, I don't remember any suggestion that they were doing it to please "fans."

I have to agree! The beginning was the good and The end (last year of Diana life) was Good. It is the stuff in the middle that is not good and what we are always concentrating on. We should focus on the beginning and the end.

I actually think it's a shame that people only focus on Charles & Diana's troubles. There were some very happy times and they did work very well together in those happy years.

Then again, a lot of money has been made off of the troubled times. There has been countless books, articles, movies (you name it) about the other side of their marriage. That's just where the focus is and, to me, that's very sad. I like knowing things had calmed down and Charles & Diana started a friendly relationship. I think it would've been great to see them do a last tour on the Royal Yacht and spend some time together as a family. I'd like to think we would've seen a close and family relationship between them today.

IIRC William and Harry put the concert together as a tribute to their mother 10 years after her death. In their interview, I don't remember any suggestion that they were doing it to please "fans."

Just because they didn't say it didn't mean that wasn't the reason - just as they keep mentioning her now - it is as much as sop to her fans as it is because they feel a need to do so - they know that they will get 'brownie points' for mentioning their mother as her fans will continue to support them as long as they remind people that they are her sons.

People's will know who their mother is without the need to remind them who their mother is. Everyone know who William and harry impther us Just like people's Know Anne Boleyn is Elizabeth I mom or that George VI mother is Mary. Diana is the mother of a future king and the former deceased wife of a future king. So that statement that William and Harry have to keep reminding people's who their mom is does not make sense.

Just because they didn't say it didn't mean that wasn't the reason - just as they keep mentioning her now - it is as much as sop to her fans as it is because they feel a need to do so - they know that they will get 'brownie points' for mentioning their mother as her fans will continue to support them as long as they remind people that they are her sons.

I think that not only is that cynical, it's also very much an outsider's perspective. You're looking in from the outside, and assuming that William and Harry view their mother as a brand and as a tool, and that they consciously choose to manipulate the portion of the public who remains devoted to her memory.

I would be inclined to guess that their feelings about their mother are deeply private, centered around her as a person rather than as a media icon, and that speaking of her, especially as it relates to causes they care about because of her, is something that they do to honor her in their own way.

You are contradicting yourself - if their feelings are deeply private then they should stop talking about her all the time when the media is there as that starts more media stories about her and them - she is being used now by her sons.

Not cynical but realistic - William and Harry never mention their father - but only their mother - why - because they know that she is the one that people love and they are hanging on her coattails.

Sadly she is still being used but now by her own sons along with her fans.

Iluvbertie...I think you are being a bit harsh.

Isn't it possible that the boys talk about their mother because they love her and miss her, and want to keep her alive in the public memory in some way?

My own late parents are not world famous of course, but I discuss them among family and friends for the same reason...to keep them alive and a part of my world in some small way.

William and Harry obviously love and admire Charles too-but he is living and very much still in their lives. I say GOOD ON THEM for refusing to allow their mother to fade away as if she never mattered.

Last edited:
The only thing William & Harry are trying to do is keep their mother's memory alive and continue to support her charities that she truly cared about.

Members of the media have tried to make big bucks off of Diana and the failure of her marriage. William & Harry are trying to put the focus on what's really important. I'm glad they are doing this because I think Diana's memory and her compassion should live on through her children and her charities.

William & Harry have mentioned in their 2007 interview that they talk about their mother all the time, especially at home. They love talking about her in public too. There's nothing wrong with that. I like hearing about her through them better than hearing about her through people who really didn't know Diana that well and who get their info from unnamed sources.

I just wish a better foundation would be established in her name. Like The Princess Grace Foundation, Diana's foundation could go on to support the Ballet, fashion design, etc.

Last edited:
...I just wish a better foundation would be established in her name.
you're right, the boys maybe create a diana's fundation in the future, and that is the very best way to continue diana's work and keep her memory alive. diana have to be remenber not only for her beauty, style, tragic life and dead, she have to be remebr with her hard work for the people.

Why would they create a new Diana foundation? If they wanted a Diana foundation presumably they would have invoved themselves with the Diana Memorial Fund which wound up its business in December 2012.
The boys and Catherine have their own foundation to support the causes they care about and Harry also has his Sentebele foundation.

Last edited:
Why would they create a new Diana foundation? If they wanted a Diana foundation presumably they would have invoved themselves with the Diana Memorial Fund which wound up its business in December 2012.
The boys and Catherine have their own foundation to support the causes they care about and Harry also has his Senetbele foundation.

Agree. They have their own foundation, Charities and causes they support and there is the Diana memorial foundation, Not to offend anyone but It not all about Diana. Yes it nice they are keeping their mother memory alive by supporting her charities and things she supported, etc. which is how they are honoring their mother. But not every single foundation, Chanties and interviews have to be about Diana. People's will know who there mother is without them having to mention her name every day because William us the future king.

Last edited:
I've heard both William and Harry mention both their parents and the example of public life that was set by them.

Not cynical but realistic - William and Harry never mention their father - but only their mother - why - because they know that she is the one that people love and they are hanging on her coattails.

I have never heard them ever mention their father - they seem increasingly distant from him.

They always mention their mother - I have never heard them give a speech without bringing her into the discussion.

I have never heard them ever mention their father - they seem increasingly distant from him.

They always mention their mother - I have never heard them give a speech without bringing her into the discussion.

I have heard Harry and William mention and talk about their father quit a few times. In fact Prince Harry talk about Charles in a interview a few months ago. as someone else said above Diana is dead and Charles is alive so there a difference there. Harry and William love their father and admire just as much as their mother and they are also very close with Charles. We might not have seen them together much in the last few years but you have to remember that William has a family now and Harry has his military career with Charles more busy then a few years ago, as well as the fact that they are Adults in their late 20s and early 30s now. You can tell they respect Charles a lot.

Last edited:
...they are Adults in their late 20s and early 30s now.
I agree. It's only natural for William and Harry to forge their own identity separate from their father.

Actually, I don't think either William or Harry give that many speeches, we've heard and seen more of Catherine in the past year. Also, didn't Charles, William and Catherine make a joint appearance a few weeks ago?

ETA: Sorry, I forgot to add that one reason you are seeing a few more books and magazines about the Kennedys in that this year will mark the 50th anniversary of the assassination. There will be a lot of media about the Kennedys starting in September, but it will die down.

In a dutch royalty tv-show they recently mispronounced her name as Diane (instead of Diana), I noticed it because I thought that the name alone was a bit of a 'Legacy' (for lack of a better word)....

In my country I think she is mainly remembered by royalty-fans..

IMO the best legacy are foundations to support her 'causes' in her name (not just as a mother of the king, because I agree with a previous post, that not a lot of people know who the parents of a monarch are), and I hope that the mish-mash about the divorce will fade into the background and the attention will focus on the good things she did *without* that continually having to be followed by Charles-or-Camilla-bashing...

If Diana can be remembered in a positiv way AND Charles thought of in a good way, then I think we have come at the point where history is made (and also IMO, their sons are already way past that point...the can admire and love both their parents)

we have to remenber charles have his pwn family now (camilla's family) aprat to william and harry, the christmas card in 2011 proves this point. Until the queen the year of charles and diana's weddin used a photo with them in her christmas card, and charles the year of his son's wedding, his heir, he send a photo of him with camilla. and camilla's grandaughter.
I don't remeber hear william and harry talk about charles but i remenber very well that william and harry don't talk about diana in years. Now, wiliam have his own family, and harry have a very good millitary carrer, and he is moving with catherine and william in kensington. the boys obvilsly love they mother very much and in his own way they remenber her. I of course they love charles.

As i said above, they have talk about Charles in recent years. Harry even talk about him in a Interview back in February on CNN. But again Diana is dead and Charles is alive. I bet if it was the other way around they would talking about Charles just as much as they talk about their diseased mother.

Historically: The late Princess of Wales will be remembered. This includes her legacy through her children and her charities.

Although I think everyone really have no other choice but to move on, Charles's marriages to Diana and Camilla and the adulteries that occurred, will always be remembered. That's now actual recorded history and the story will continue to live on and even change as time goes on. That just how it is, whether we like it or not.

Last edited:
I agree that Diana will live on through her her children's. As I sad before Diana descendants are William and Harry Children's, Grandchildren's, etc. It a lot like how Anne Boleyn is still famous some 477 years later as the wife of Henry VIII and the mother of Elizabeth I. Diana is still recent memory but over time Opinions and Perception of her will change. 100 Years From now the generation then who were not alive during the time Diana was alive will have a different opinion of her, History will judge for itself.

I do agree also that people's do need to move on about Charles and Camilla but as you said it now recorded history and in the history books (like Henry VIII and his six wive, Edward VII relationship with Alice kopple) and it will always be remembered and mentioned especially as Charles the future king and that will live on in his legacy after death. Again over time I think opinions and Perception will change about Charles and Camilla, History will decide for itself. It would be interesting to be around 100-200 years from now and see what people's has to say about Charles-Camilla and Diana and how history has decided their fate.

I think the difference diana-ane bolena is that ane bolena's blodline die with elizabeth I, diana' blodline (she desend of charles II and james II) will continue in william and harry

I was talking about ane bolena itself bloodline.

Well Anne Boleyn and her sister Mary would have had the exact same bloodline.

Last edited:
As i said above, they have talk about Charles in recent years. Harry even talk about him in a Interview back in February on CNN. But again Diana is dead and Charles is alive. I bet if it was the other way around they would talking about Charles just as much as they talk about their diseased mother.
I completely agree. The boys have the privilege of enjoying a relationship with their father. It will grow and change as all relationships do. Their time with their mother ended in 1997.

It will be interesting in the next 50 to 100 years what people will say about Diana. Many people are alive today that knew her and can tell stories about her. In the next 50 years there will still be a few but they will be up in age for the most part.

She will be the best known British royal I believe as the centuries go by. History may judge her differently than she is judged now. I sure those who are 4 or 5 generations out will probably have a much different perspective than those who knew her personally.

It's been nearly 16 years since her death. She is still talked about and probably will be 50 years and 100 years from now. Since her death, other royals have died, some well known, others not so well-known and they are not talked about that much. People express their sympathy to the family and that's pretty much it.

I also think she will be known for a long time because the topics she has touched and the way she has lived her life and struggled with so many things-like self esteem isssues, depression,divorced parents and an unhappy childhood due to that,her unfortunate marriage and divorce,the way she died,how she has cared for other people and gave love to her sons and all the kids she met,these are the things that will never be out of fashion or change...no matter how much scientific research,modern advancement and other social networking ideas are developed-our emotions and the way we struggle and often fail to deal with them in the right way will always follow us and have an impact on our life.

Diana is certainly going to be remembered for her beauty,compassion and also her rebellious nature...in a way her life is the perfect script for a musical or a very dramatic Hollywood movie,you have love and misery,laughter and tears and a very tragic ending....

I only want people to see that she was more than a fashion icon or "clothes horse",she really felt close to the people and cared about others,she helped even when there where no cameras or reporters to write an article about her and she did so without expecting a reward. Of course, the charity work gave her life meaning and purpose and I am sure that she loved to be cherished by so many people, but she did not only do it to get good PR,she cared about people in need and tried to help as much as she could with the resources and talents that she had.

That´s the most important of her her legacy if you ask me-her sons and her charity work,her beauty&fashion is only a nice aside-topic,but not the main issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom