Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diana is still in many people's hearts and minds.

Her legacy will be with all those who loved her, and love her still.

Quite true. I still treasure her beautiful memories. Am blessed with the articles that have been linked to the above posts concerning her 50th birthday.

Princess Diana has a huge legacy.There are many things left without her.We should try to be inspired by for example the way she helped poor people and try to do thing ,which she did.

The fact that there are many in Britain and elsewhere, including people here, who regularly call for the succession rules to be put aside shows just how damaging her legacy is - to promote the popularity of the moment or even the individual over the institution itself is damaging to the institution and she put that on the agenda.

The very fact that people here and elsewhere want William to take his father's place shows how much she damaged the perception of the family relationship as well. William has two parents but most people seem to forget that - I even read comments in the lead up to the wedding asking why Charles should be having anything to do with it? That is also a large part of Diana's legacy - she set out to destroy her husband and even from the grave her supporters are still trying to bring about her desire - too bad if that desire might hurt and upset the sons she had with Charles.
Interesting that you think it is not Charles' actions/behavior/choices which cause people to 'regularly call for the succession rules to be put aside' or the 'people want William to take his father's place'. At the end of the day, Diana has been dead over a decade and Charles is still heartily disliked. He must reap what his actions have sown. And the whole "Well, maybe Camilla may still be my Queen, who knows", does not endear him any further to the population at large. It will be interesting, now that William and Catherine are in the white hot spotlight, whether Charles is as resentful of them for taking over what he regards as his rightful place in the sun, as he was with William's mother.

Interesting that you think it is not Charles' actions/behavior/choices which cause people to 'regularly call for the succession rules to be put aside' or the 'people want William to take his father's place'. At the end of the day, Diana has been dead over a decade and Charles is still heartily disliked. He must reap what his actions have sown. And the whole "Well, maybe Camilla may still be my Queen, who knows", does not endear him any further to the population at large. It will be interesting, now that William and Catherine are in the white hot spotlight, whether Charles is as resentful of them for taking over what he regards as his rightful place in the sun, as he was with William's mother.

Maybe I'm naive, but from what I have observed in the past several months, the Prince of Wales seems to be perfectly fine with William and Catherine enjoying the spotlight. He regards his daughter-in-law highly, allowing her to take over for his engagement last month. I don't see him becoming jealous of his son and his wife. In fact, I see just the opposite. He's proud of them both, and probably supports them and their endeavors.

As for Diana's legacy, it lives on in her sons, who were able to take good qualities from both parents, and carry on. William's involvement with Centrepoint, and Harry's wok with Sentebale (I hope I spelled that right) show us that what their mother taught them has been well remembered and taken to heart.

Slow news period, I guess. It will be Camilla who will be crowed by her husband. Diana is not available.

I don't mean to sound crass, but really --- grudges still being held 15 years on? What a waste of time.

Now for all of those who have announced over and over that the people 'are warming to Camilla and will be happy to have her crowned Queen', go read the comments after the article. All but ONE person was absolutely against Camilla being Queen.

Well it is the Daily Express so the readers comments are not exactly a surprise, but I would still insist that the quiet majority of the British people have moved on and would not be unduly upset with the idea of Queen Camilla one day being crowned beside her husband. The younger generation coming into young adulthood never even knew her as Diana died before they were born.

Last edited:
I agree with NGalitzine.
There will always be those who will never accept anyone taking "Diana's place". However, it is my impression that the vast majority of people have moved on.

I agree with NGalitzine.
There will always be those who will never accept anyone taking "Diana's place". However, it is my impression that the vast majority of people have moved on.

I don't think anyone is trying or can take Diana's place. All I see is different royal women (Camilla & Kate) following their own paths. Sadly there are those who are still stuck in the past and won't let go of the War of the Waleses which has been long over.
I don't see much young people I know interested in Charles or Camilla. They're more into Harry and Kate. So I don't see an objection to Camilla being Queen Consort.

I don't think anyone is trying or can take Diana's place. All I see is different royal women (Camilla & Kate) following their own paths. Sadly there are those who are still stuck in the past and won't let go of the War of the Waleses which has been long over.
I don't see much young people I know interested in Charles or Camilla. They're more into Harry and Kate. So I don't see an objection to Camilla being Queen Consort.

As far as I am concerned, no one could really take Diana's place; she was a unique human being. Personally I will always cherish her memory because faulty as she was, Diana has also done some pretty amazing things in her short life.
At the same time, Diana was also entirely mismatched for royal life, and especially as the wife of the Prince of Wales. I can't help but think she would be much more suited for the role of a wife of a younger son - Andrew and Edward, but most definitely not the Heir for whom duty towards country always had to come first.

Camilla and Kate are, on the other hand, perfectly suited in their roles; they both know what the position of consort entails and behave accordingly. Nether have attempted to fill in the gap left by Diana, and good for them; you can't and shouldn't live in someone else's shadow.

Last edited:
At the same time, Diana was also entirely mismatched for royal life, and especially as the wife of the Prince of Wales. I can't help but think she would be much more suited for the role of a wife of a younger son - Andrew and Edward, but most definitely not the Heir form whom duty towards country always had to come first.

Extremely well put. That was the crux of it. You have named it well. Anyone going into that position has to know that no matter the fuss made about one, the real reason for the fuss is the man one married and the institution one married into. Gratitude to the man and respect for the institution is the least one can manifest, I have always thought.

Camilla and Kate are, on the other hand, perfectly suited in their roles; they both know what the position of consort entails and behave accordingly. Neither have attempted to fill in the gap left by Diana, and good for them; you can't and shouldn't live in someone else's shadow.

And I, for one, am grateful to them. Last thing I want to see splashed across tabloid headlines is another spectacle. It is a relief.

As far as I am concerned, no one could really take Diana's place; she was a unique human being. Personally I will always cherish her memory because faulty as she was, Diana has also done some pretty amazing things in her short life.
At the same time, Diana was also entirely mismatched for royal life, and especially as the wife of the Prince of Wales. I can't help but think she would be much more suited for the role of a wife of a younger son - Andrew and Edward, but most definitely not the Heir form whom duty towards country always had to come first.

Camilla and Kate are, on the other hand, perfectly suited in their roles; they both know what the position of consort entails and behave accordingly. Nether have attempted to fill in the gap left by Diana, and good for them; you can't and shouldn't live in someone else's shadow.

Extremely well put. That was the crux of it. You have named it well. Anyone going into that position has to know that no matter the fuss made about one, the real reason for the fuss is the man one married and the institution one married into. Gratitude to the man and respect for the institution is the least one can manifest, I have always thought.

And I, for one, am grateful to them. Last thing I want to see splashed across tabloid headlines is another spectacle. It is a relief.

Very well put. The institution comes first, and Camilla and Catherine both appear to understand and respect that position well.

She was such an amazing lady, I only wish I could've met her. She had such a kind heart and helped out with charities and even went to Africa to visit the sick, and she will always be remembered for these things plus her romantic marriage to Charles then the divorce and her fashion plus her tragic end and her charity work will continue to live on through her sons William and Harry who will keep their mother's memory alive. She died in 1997 but she is very much alive in our hearts and memories. She will forever be remembered as "the people's princess".
:: flowers :: ::flowers :: :: flowers::

I hadn't been too interested in British Royal family until recently, but when I began to read about it and found out about Diana, Princess of Wales, I couldn't help but felt sympathy for her. There was something lovely in her, she looked so graceful and charming, superficially at least. I have read a lot of books and watched almost every documentary I could find.
There are so different opinions about her on this forum(and others, I dare say) , some say she was malicious, cunning and hypocritical, others violently defend her. I am still a bit confused and haven't come to any conclusion yet.
At least, Diana was definitely a wonderful mother, despite all her possible mental issues. Children have a tendency to forgive their parents , even if they were drug addicts or criminals. I am sure Diana wasn't SO bad.
Prince William and Prince Harry definitely love their mother and cherish her memory. They are her most important legacy.

By the way, I don't quite understand why British people were so prejuced against Camilla and her future accession to the throne. She will be only the Queen Consort, not The Prime Ministry, for God's sake!
P.S P.S In addition, there is a good chance that Prince Willam or his future child will never be coronated. Because The Great Britain will already has become the Muslim-majority country when the time comes. IMO

It is a soap opera and has been since a certain young 20 year old married in in 1981 and the gravitas of the entire family was lowered - rightly or wrongly she changed it for good or bad, depending on your point of view but she definitely made it a soap opera. What had been an institution that was respected as much for its traditions and sense of purpose became a family portrayed as broken and dysfunctional and still is portrayed that way - look at the artile this weekend about how William has found a 'normal' family and wants to have that for himself and his child - just a soap opera comment.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree... 'tis no soap opera to me. Quote-

[Diana is all but forgotten and the BRF have their highest approval ratings in 60 years. I for one don't look at it as a soap opera. (It was also written by the Guardian :rolleyes: ]

I sure hope poor Diana is not forgotten.:ermm: As turbulent as her personal life became she loved her country and worked hard for it...she genuinely cared and was a magnificent Princess of Wales considering her illness and emotional problems. She deserves to be remembered, imo.

It is a soap opera and has been since a certain young 20 year old married in in 1981 and the gravitas of the entire family was lowered - rightly or wrongly she changed it for good or bad, depending on your point of view but she definitely made it a soap opera. What had been an institution that was respected as much for its traditions and sense of purpose became a family portrayed as broken and dysfunctional and still is portrayed that way - look at the artile this weekend about how William has found a 'normal' family and wants to have that for himself and his child - just a soap opera comment.

I dont want to deviate away from the topic.. But I would just make a small point..
You simply cant blame Diana for that. She was nothing, really nothing.
The family have only themselves to blame for all that "soap opera"..
They left the heir, the most important person, absolutely confused, the parents totally clueless, and the extravagant, ostritching matriarch totally indifferent, leaving this guy to turn to an old-old-school grand-uncle (who happily allowed his wife romance the Prime Minister of India), who fed in his mind, "the dumber-blonder-younger-inexperienced-chick you get, the better"..and there is nothing else to be cared for in a woman you're marrying..
And the poor guy went for it..And the rest is history..

Last edited:

Jesus Christ , even now it's Diana's fault? Get over it . Seriously don't you guys ever get tired of this?

I agree scooter. Diana brought just as many good things to Britain and it's RF as she did controversy. It seems particularly cruel and unfair to her memory to claim otherwise.

I think she was a gift to that family and to the world. It's not all her fault things went so spectacularly wrong.

God rest her.

Jesus Christ , even now it's Diana's fault? Get over it . Seriously don't you guys ever get tired of this?

No I don't.

I am able to identify when - a time - when the nature of the royal family changed from a serious institution to a soap opera and that change took place when Diana entered.

That is a simple fact and I won't tire of pointing out that things changed, for good and bad, when Diana entered the scene.

100s of years from now people will be identifying her entry into the family as a turning point - that is what history does - it rakes over the coals for ever and she will be discussed for centuries to come.

It is people who haven't yet come to terms with the fact that she is an historic figure who have to realise that she is a fact of history that have to get over that fact and realise that she will be discussed and criticised forever and ever - no different to any other historic figure - which is what she is.

I agree scooter. Diana brought just as many good things to Britain and it's RF as she did controversy. It seems particularly cruel and unfair to her memory to claim otherwise.

I think she was a gift to that family and to the world. It's not all her fault things went so spectacularly wrong.

God rest her.

I disagree, but the subject of Diana has absolutely nothing at all to do with QEII considering abdication.

My guess is that HM has briefly considered abdication when having a bad day and then just as quickly forgot about it and gone on with her daily routine.

Okay, I'm going to toss my two cents in on the Diana issue for now and come back to the greater issue of the Queen and abdications later.

The BRF definitely has it's soap opera moments, and Diana definitely embraced them. I don't think she brought them to the family, though. Every family, whether royal or commoner, famous or not, has it's soap opera moments. The BRF ones just happen to be more notorious (the same can be said of other monarchies as well). These soap opera moments did not start with Diana, nor do they end there. I mean... God, this is a family that had the Conquest, the War of the Roses, Henry VIII, the Glorious Revolution, George III and his sibling, George III's children and the race for the her, Queen Victoria blaming Prince Albert Edward for the death of her husband, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Princess Margaret, Fergie, and so on. All of these have there soap opera moments (some just dilute due to the time in which they happened).

Diana did not introduce soap opera to the family, she just took advantage of the press and made the soap opera work in her favour - and ultimately she became this tragic figure who was destroyed by the press and the soap. She brought as much harm to the institute of the family and the family itself as they brought to her - and she brought good as well. As much as we may resent (or cherish) Diana for what she did, in a lot of ways she brought the family into modernity and in a lot of ways since then the family has chosen what aspects of her legacy they want to be involved in, and what aspects they don't want to continue to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom