Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said, Mermaid1962. I think that's what her sons want too, and what most people who've lost a parent want. They will inevitably feel compelled to mention or include her, as long as they're human. And Prince William seems to be developing a gift for speaking his mind when things displease him. Good for him.

You can't take a pragmatic view when it come to this. To protect the image of someone you love so much is the most natural thing. Even if William and Harry decided not to mention their mother ever again, there would be people, who's life she touched and therefore would feel the need to remember her.

The weird thing would be if they did NOT talk about her. Then I would be really worry.

We all know about the mistakes that were made, from BOTH sides. For the childhood Diana had and unhappy married life she was able to do a remarkable job as a parent.

My most vivid images of the late Princess is the one of her hugging her boys @ the Britannia, during their visit to Canada. The way she smiled after seeing them, the way she put her hands in her chest, almost like a little girl, so excited to see them again and then the overwhelming hug ... anyone who has or had a parent that showed this kind of affection should feel so lucky to have had it, even if not for many years.

As someone who lost a parent very early on I can't assure you that absence can be as impacting as presence. Once you grow up you stop seeing your parents as only your parents (people that start to exist the moment you are born), understand what made them who they are, and hopefully, let go of any resentment. Cause if you don't , well you gonna have a lifetime of heartaches!

Last edited:
Not only their ages but how little time that actually spent with her. They were both at boarding school from age 8 and then spent half of their holidays with their father as well so in a six week holiday period would spend three weeks with her.

Need it really be said that there is more than one way to communicate and gain comfort with another?!

I'm sure William and Henry would have spoken regularly with their mother over the phone when they were apart.

The closeness shared between mother and children was evident and the comfort they took from her and her from them would be incredibly hard for anyone to refute should they wish to try.

In the 'world' in which they live, it would at times unavoidably come down to the quality of that time shared and not necassarily the quantity. That goes without saying.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that her excitement in greeting William and Harry on this occasion was a little bit "over the top." Even at the time, when I was quite an admirer of Diana, I found her actions the actions of a woman playing to the cameras. Also, the video usually stops before Prince Charles is seen greeting the boys affectionately. So although there are many scenes of Diana as a mother that I remember warmly, this isn't one of them.:ermm:

My most vivid images of the late Princess is the one of her hugging her boys @ the Britannia, during their visit to Canada. The way she smiled after seeing them, the way she put her hands in her chest, almost like a little girl, so excited to see them again and then the overwhelming hug ... anyone who has or had a parent that showed this kind of affection should feel so lucky to have had it, even if not for many years.

Personally, I think that her excitement in greeting William and Harry on this occasion was a little bit "over the top." Even at the time, when I was quite an admirer of Diana, I found her actions the actions of a woman playing to the cameras. Also, the video usually stops before Prince Charles is seen greeting the boys affectionately. So although there are many scenes of Diana as a mother that I remember warmly, this isn't one of them.:ermm:

I have watch the whole video, I also remember Charles warningly hugging the children and even the kick Harry gave his older brother after the reunion.
As I can recal someone from the staff came to greet Diana and as she politely shook hands with him, slowly slipped away in their direction.
That definitely wans't staged in my eyes, for sure.

different people, different views,but I respectfully disagree!:flowers:

Last edited:
I didn't lose my mother until I was 36 years old. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had been 13 or 15 years old when she died. I've known a few people that lost parents when they were young, but each of them had different experiences or outlook on it. Some people were very open about it, others didn't want to talk about it.

Diana will always have a legacy. Over the decades it will change. It will be interesting decades from now when no one in her age group is around who remembers her when she was alive what the legacy will be.

I have as well always wondered how much time they actually spent with Diana. I am sure quite a bit when they were very young but by 8 they were away at boarding school and I believe only saw Diana when she and Charles were still together on weekends?

I would think they would see Diana every other weekend after seeing their father. And I do believe Diana spoke to the boys on the phone regularly. It was reported that she visited them at school from time to time.

English public school system seems so strange to those that don't grow up in it. Since most of their friends had the same experience, I doubt the Princes though much about it.

I attended American schools in Florida. Very different from British or European schools. I would imagine Princess Diana and Prince Charles from time to time probably went to school events that Prince William or Prince Harry were involved in.

Kids who are in boarding schools don't see their parents as much as those like myself who attended school and then went home for the day.

I read that Diana, Princess of Wales' royal schedule was made around school events that parents attend. She would never miss a school event.:flowers:

I read something like that in Burrell's book A Royal Duty.... that the boys school events and breaks from school were highlighted in green in her schedule and the royal planning staff planned around those dates....

Last edited:
I read something like that in Burrell's book A Royal Duty.... that the boys school events and breaks from school were highlighted in green in her schedule and the royal planning staff planned around those dates....

...and exactly how many nannies does Burrell mention also ?? (but they were never involved in any of the "photo-ops":bang:

...and exactly how many nannies does Burrell mention also ?? (but they were never involved in any of the "photo-ops":bang:

could you clear your post, please. I didn't quit understand it. Thank you

I would think they would see Diana every other weekend after seeing their father. And I do believe Diana spoke to the boys on the phone regularly. It was reported that she visited them at school from time to time.

They didn't go home every weekend.

Their parents would go weeks without seeing them.

Actually boarding schools try to ensure that students whose parents can't visit as often as others aren't made to feel left out so restrict the days on which parents visit and how often the students can leave the school.

William did go so far as to not invite either of his parents to one parents' day due to concerns that the press would turn up and ruin the day for the other boys so I don't think he would have been one to see more of his parents than other boys.

Boarding schools also run a lot of activities on weekends for the students and they are expected to attend.

How do I know - I went to such a school.

Regardless of how much she actually saw them, weekends or events, I think many can agree (including her sons, ex husband and even former inlaws) Diana was a loving, devoted mother

I'm not going to question you yet Bertie but do you have a source for your claim of William not inviting either parents to one of their Parents Day. I just find it hard to beleive.

On reflection, I believe Diana WILL be remembered for a long time to come. Those who admired and respected her will not forget, and even those who are less than enthusiastic can’t seem to stop talking about her. Yes, I suspect the lady will not be forgotten any time soon. Lol!! :):):)
I totally agree with you.....

I don't have a source, ghost_night, but I clearly remember that story. I think that it was during the height of the War of the Walses, which would have been from '92 to perhaps '95 or '96.

I'm not going to question you yet Bertie but do you have a source for your claim of William not inviting either parents to one of their Parents Day. I just find it hard to beleive.

@ ghost night- I know that story appeared in :
The Queen and Di by Ingrid Seward
And I seem to remember it in the Burrell books, and Diana the Last Word by Simone Simmons as well.

If my parents went on Television and publicly confirmed their affairs, I wouldn't know how to go back to school.

In most boarding schools, they don't encourage you to spend every weekend with your parents. Most of them don't. This at least is what I was told as I never personally attended a boarding school.

Since I'm somewhat shy and quiet, a boarding school would have been difficult for me. I tend to have a few friends and then stay in my little box.

In most boarding schools, they don't encourage you to spend every weekend with your parents. Most of them don't. This at least is what I was told as I never personally attended a boarding school.

Since I'm somewhat shy and quiet, a boarding school would have been difficult for me. I tend to have a few friends and then stay in my little box.

As somone who was shy and quiet boarding school was great as it helped me overcome those problems and the friends I made there are my closest friends to this day.

nascarlucy said:
In most boarding schools, they don't encourage you to spend every weekend with your parents. Most of them don't. This at least is what I was told as I never personally attended a boarding school..

Most (in US) neither encourage or discourage, that's up to the students and their parents - and yes I attended boarding school

As a product of boarding schools, I only saw my parents on holidays and when school was out for the summer. Boarding school taught me the independence I needed to become the woman that I am today. I met many people from all walks of life and from around the world and I feel it's made me a better person.

As far as Diana's legacy is concerned, it is written in stone for all time. It takes the form of her charity work, love of the common people and, most of all, in the personages of her sons.

No one - no one can take that away, not even all the Prince Charles excuse writers and spin doctors The Firm may employ.

Diana and her legacy are safe in the hearts and minds of those of us who still hold her dear.

Well said mhansen2! We shall never forget the Queen of People's Hearts!!!!!!!!!

There is no question that Diana was a mother and a loving mother by all accounts. However, between boarding school days, the boys were effectively raised by nannies except when Diana wanted them to be part of her "I am a better parent than Charles" propaganda....IMO her image came first always...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom