Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DoC had an apprenticeship before her engagement, Diana was left to sink or swim during her engagement and early years of marriage. It took many years before she gained a great deal of confidence and experience as Princess of Wales. In the end, she did a mighty fine job.

That's Diana's version of events.

The other version is that the Royal Family tried to help her - Susan Hussey and Prince Charles Private Secretary tried to give her training in what was required but she would not listen.

I am not suggesting Diana had the benefit of the long apprenticeship that Sophie, Camilla and Kate did. But on one version of events, she certainly wasn't left to sink or swim. Rather, she ignored the swimming lessons she had been offered.

That's Diana's version of events.

The other version is that the Royal Family tried to help her - Susan Hussey and Prince Charles Private Secretary tried to give her training in what was required but she would not listen.

I am not suggesting Diana had the benefit of the long apprenticeship that Sophie, Camilla and Kate did. But on one version of events, she certainly wasn't left to sink or swim. Rather, she ignored the swimming lessons she had been offered.

Even Princess Michael of Kent admitted that Diana didn't have the full support that she needed. Lady Susan Hussey taught Diana the art of royal waving and art of small talk in receiving lines, but what Diana needed was a young guiding hand and a good support team. It was also her husbands job to fully support her too. You can't just throw a young and inexperienced woman into the lions den, and expect her to be the next best thing since sliced bread. She truly struggled in her first years of marriage, only to find her feet by the 90's. Little did she and everyone know, time was running out. She did her best though. She supported Charles, secured the throne with William and Harry and was loving mother. She supported many charities, flew the flag for Queen and Country and touched countless people. Her time here was short, but she did what she had to do.

It was in her last conversation with Richard Kay (Aug 30 night) that she told him she was going to quit all her formal duty to her charities and to be a PRIVATE person. Richard Kay wrote down the conversation in his tribute to her on Aug 31st, "The Diana I knew".

"Six hours before the Princess of Wales and the man she loved were killed in a paparazzi car chase, she telephoned me from Paris. She told me she had decided to radically change her life. She was going to complete her obligations to her charities and to the anti-personnel landmines cause and then, around November, would completely withdraw from her formal public life. She was dreaming of being a PRIVATE person.

"In my view, as someone close to the Princess for almost five years, Dodi Al Fayed was a significant factor in that decision. She was in love with him and, perhaps more important, she believed that he was in love with her and that he believed in her. I cannot say for certain that they would have married but in my view it was likely.

None of this would mean, she explained, an end to the good works that she had become so closely identified with. Dodi Al Fayed's father, Mohamed Al Fayed, had agreed to finance a charity for the victims of mines and, with Dodi's encouragement she also had sketched out the framework of a plan to open hospices for the dying all over the world"

Memories Of Diana - The Diana I Knew - By Richard Kay* - Princess Diana Remembered

The decision came very suddenly on Aug 29 or Aug 30, but this is not the only one she made around the time. Another one was she would live almost entirely abroad . On Aug 29, Diana had a 40 minutes telephone call with Paul Burrell. Though he refused to disclose the content of the phonecall in the hearing, in a letter to the Coroner of the Inquest to Diana and Dodi's death, Paul Burrell disclosed that

"The Princess made it clear to me that she was disheartened by the media to such an extent that she intended to live almost entirely abroad whilst retaining her London home at Kensington Palace. This worried me a great deal and I've always regarded the Princess to be patriotic as she was. This secret might damage her reputation"

Also, in the phone call to Franz Klein on Aug 29, Dodi said "My friend doesn't want to stay in England. We want to move into the villa, Frank, because we are getting married in October or November." And then on Aug 30, once arrived in Paris, the couple went for a tour of the Villa Windsor immediately for 40 minutes, which they had already visited before on July 26th. This decision was very sudden also, because the trip to Paris was not planned. It was a last-minute decision made on Aug 29th.

I think the trigger of these decisions was the attack from the politician due to the Le Monde interview published on Aug 27th. The remarks "its (Labor) position on the subject (landmine) was always clear. It's going to do tremendous work. Its predecessor (Tory) was so hopeless" angered some Conservative MPs. But in an official statement Diana strongly denied she'd ever said Tory was hopeless. However it still brought furious accusations on her.

"It was serious dangerous to drag the Royal Family into Party politics. I don't think we ought to allow one young to coming up to middle-aged woman to alter the British constitution. If you're going to have the trappings of royalty then you have to behave like one. If the Princess was unwilling to behave in a way commensurate her role, she should GO AWAY and be a PRIVATE citizen" -- David Wiltshire, Tory MP

"Diana must keep out of politics -- and that if she would not, she should be 'disciplined' by the Royal Household. She ought to be reprimanded and told that, as a royal, she is not to enter the political arena. I wished she'd keep quiet and not seek so much publicity. She could have been a Hollywood star for the way she attracts publicity. Whether she does it unconsciously or with a view of getting the headlines, I don't know, but she cannot side with one particular government anymore than the Prince of Wales can."-- Sir James Hill, Tory MP

It seems Diana's decisions were a direct response to these politicians request -- go away and be private. Moreover, the demand of her to "keep quite" and "not seek publicity" indicated they knew what was her real intention behind all those acts.

All of these are sudden decisions, however she chose to disclose to Richard Kay, that means she wanted the public to know about them. The Olso conference was coming soon, and she had already gathered so much attention by then, it was time to use them now. And Richard Kay was her speaker to the public, she would use him a lot. Actually, she had invited Richard Kay for lunch on Aug 31st. From the conversation with Richard Kay, it seems she wanted the politicians know that she would subject to their request, but she had to complete her obligation to landmine first.

Another new information is Mr Al Fayed Senior had "agreed to" finance a charity for mine victims. In Bosnia, Ken Rutherford (her campaign partner) said the purpose of her trip was to show that she wanted true actions to help the victims.

"Right now I think it is a forgotten issue that people get hurt by landmines is forgotten. There are many speeches, but there isn't reaction. And she is showing she wants actions for the victims. They are smart, intelligent, if you give them a leg, they have a life." -- Ken Rutherford's interview to ITN

By setting up a charity for mine victims herself, she set up an example to the world what was true action. Actions would give true power to her words if she wanted to persuade the policy makers to follow her step to show true actions to help the victims. It would be viewed as a hypocrite to persuade other to show true actions, while she herself didn't have any action at all.

Last edited:
Thank you, Anbrida. It is interesting to read what Kay summary of Diana's last call to him and his assumptions. However, I note that nothing in Kay's article indicates that Diana was planning to put any of her own money into the charities--which is the best way to set an example. We also know that she didn't leave any money to charity in her will. Even if she had done so, it is one thing to donate money to charity when you spend tens of thousands of dollars a year on clothes and expensive vacations.
Diana's interest in landmines and AIDS victims was commendable, but the real heroes are people who actually devote their lives to helping others, especially if they do so while living and working in primitive conditions.

:previous:Right. According to Richard Kay, it was Dodi's father who was going to fund the landmine charity. We know that Diana helped to raise a lot of money to charity, but we have no way of knowing how much she gave personally. Diana did wonderful work in fundraising and had a genuine desire to help people. However, I agree with you US Royal Watcher that many people work a long, hard, slog being generous and kind to people every single day. Many people live with the mentally ill, alcoholics, drug addicts, the injured, the physically ill, and aging parents who need constant care. As much as I look back with fondness at the example that Diana set in her charity work, I realize that she didn't live with these problems. She cared and she made visits and drew attention to important things that other people were doing, but she didn't have the burdens that those other people carried every day. In the last couple of years of her life, she made a few high-profile appearances; but I'm afraid that much of her time was spent on herself. Her children were away at school, and she didn't really have great family responsibilities otherwise.

Last edited:
:previous:

I agree, there are a great deal of people who work very hard on issues and there are people who suffer from many problems that Diana didn't have.

In the last years of Diana's life, she was busy working hard with the British and American Red Cross, Landmines, Cancer Research and was about to embark on a Aids Campaign with the Presidents of the U.S and Africa. Yes, she took some time out for herself, but her work with charities and other organizations was increasing. Also in 97, she and Prince Charles was due to travel up the British Isles on the Royal Yacht Britannia, before it's decommissioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
. Also in 97, she and Prince Charles was due to travel up the British Isles on the Royal Yacht Britannia, before it's decommissioning.

Wow really ? I didn't know that. Seems rather ... extraordinary, and a bit weird : The Wales back together for a farewell cruise ?

Which president in Africa? Mandela?

In the last years of Diana's life, she was busy working hard with the British and American Red Cross, Landmines, Cancer Research and was about to embark on a Aids Campaign with the Presidents of the U.S and Africa. Yes, she took some time out for herself, but her work with charities and other organizations was increasing. Also in 97, she and Prince Charles was due to travel up the British Isles on the Royal Yacht Britannia, before it's decommissioning.

Wow really ? I didn't know that. Seems rather ... extraordinary, and a bit weird : The Wales back together for a farewell cruise ?

Yup, one have to remember that Charles and Diana's relationship improved a lot before her passing. He asked her to accompany him on the farewell trip and she accepted. I think she would have been there at the decommissioning ceremony that December.

Last edited:

This is something I've heard several times before and to me, it showed that Charles and Diana had reached a point of having an amicable relationship with one another and that they'd both moved on.

This is something I've heard several times before and to me, it showed that Charles and Diana had reached a point of having an amicable relationship with one another and that they'd both moved on.

Yes, they did move on. I think there remained some strong loving feelings, but they both moved on. It saddens me that we didn't get a chance to see how everything would have turned out for them later on.

It puzzles me why people continue this Diana vs Charles saga, when they both moved on and relationship improved before her passing.

It puzzles me why people continue this Diana vs Charles saga, when they both moved on and relationship improved before her passing.

Indeed ! I know The Queen invited Diana to Balmoral but she felt she was not still ready for it. But a royal tour with Charles ? Would have changed A LOT about some events and public perception we are still arguing about.

Last edited:
Indeed ! I know The Queen invited Diana to Balmoral but she felt she was not still ready for it. But a royal tour with Charles ? Would have changed A LOT about some events and public perception we are still arguing about.

It would have changed public perception, I believe. I just think it's unfair to continue to go over Diana and Charles's painful separation and divorce over and over again, when in reality, their relationship took positive turn before Diana died. It's like all the arguments don't reflect the final status of their relationship, because people didn't get a chance to see the final side of things.

Thank you, Anbrida. It is interesting to read what Kay summary of Diana's last call to him and his assumptions. However, I note that nothing in Kay's article indicates that Diana was planning to put any of her own money into the charities--which is the best way to set an example. We also know that she didn't leave any money to charity in her will. Even if she had done so, it is one thing to donate money to charity when you spend tens of thousands of dollars a year on clothes and expensive vacations.
Diana's interest in landmines and AIDS victims was commendable, but the real heroes are people who actually devote their lives to helping others, especially if they do so while living and working in primitive conditions.

I won't criticize her for not publicly putting money in her charity (privately I know she had used her own money to help people, it was recorded). First, she actually didn't have any income herself. You see she didn't even have her own property. Kensington Palace was rental place for her. If the rumor is true, when she stopped doing public service, she would be HOMELESS. :ohmy:

However, don't forget that in June 1997, Diana auctioned her 79 dresses and help to raise millions dollars for charity. And I believe, if she was able to make money herself, she would donate quite a lot.

Actually, according to Rosa Monckton's words in the hearing to the inquest, when they were on their last holiday (Aug 15-20, 1997), they were planning a small business together, from which all Diana's profits would be distributed to her charities.

We did discuss starting a little business together, a jewellery business, which we both got very excited about to the extent that we even, on one night, designed the whole packaging for this business. It was going to be called "R&D", and all her profits from it would be distributed to her charities. So we had a good couple of days discussing that -- Rosa Monckton

And I think it is not appropriate to use her will as an example to define her. When she made the will, she was still a Royal member, therefore not only subject to her own wish, she also needed to follow the Royal tradition. If it is not traditional for Royal member to give money to charity in their wills, then if Diana did so, she would set up a precedence. Of course, she could use a several-million will to set up an example for the other much richer Royal people, but in this case she would be considered as a trouble maker even in death.

The Late Diana, Princess of Wales, News Thread 8: June 2008-

Diana's last will was after her divorce from Charles. The divorce settlement made up the bulk of her estate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Diana's last will was after her divorce from Charles. The divorce settlement made up the bulk of her estate.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Her will was made in June 1993, therefore before her divorce.

Yes, I agree but I also remember reading about this even before the tragedy. Charles and Diana had come a long way toward healing their relationship. Perhaps they were not meant to be married, but there was deep affection and even understanding at the end.

It's all very sad.:sad:

Can anybody give the source please for the story that Charles and Diana were going on one last cruise on Britannia together before it was decommissioned?

Can anybody give the source please for the story that Charles and Diana were going on one last cruise on Britannia together before it was decommissioned?

I'd like to hear that source, too. :flowers: This is very new. I am aware they were on speaking terms, but even that was fraught (given Diana's emotional turbulence). The idea that Diana would be on the royal yacht with Charles for the world to see, while he has Camilla is tow, does't seem possible/probable. I trust my reading has not misled me.

I have read that Diana would call Charles when she was needing help/support. He gave her a shoulder and he would do what he could. That's the extent of it, though that's a pretty big extent. However, it's not wholly unusual for a man to do so with an ex-wife. Consider Harrison Ford - LINK: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.obituaries/qHt5LugA5wA

http://www.princess-diana-remembered.com/uploads/5/3/3/5/5335384/03-09-97.jpg

According to this article on Diana's will a 'discretionary fund' was to be established, and money would be distributed to various charities chosen by the trustees at their discretion.

Who Inherited Princess Diana's Estate?

Thank you for let us know that she did leave some money to the charity. I am not sure whether this part has been carried out. It seems to me, people do not respect her will too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you, anbrida. :flowers: But the image is unusual in that it is an artifact. There is no date and no indication of where this was printed. One assumes it is suppose to be from The Sun, given the author, but this could be fraudulent. More strange is when this appears to be written shortly after Diana's death in the midst of the public's anger against the Queen and Charles. Wouldn't this have been 'telegraphed' to the public at once to off-set the public's anger? There is a lot about this that isn't making sense to me, though maybe it is so.

Do you have something with a date and clear source?

Last edited:
Thank you, anbrida. :flowers: But the image is unusual in that it is an artifact. There is no date and no indication of where this was printed. One assumes it is suppose to be from The Sun, given the author, but this could be fraudulent. More strange is when this appears to be written, shorty after Diana's death in the midst of the public's anger against the Queen and Charles. Wouldn't this have been 'telegraphed' to the public? There is a lot about this that isn't making sense to me, though maybe it is so.

Do you have something with a date and clear source?

I am not sure whether I got your idea right. Do you suspect it is fake? I am quite sure it was not fake. It is from princess-diana-remembered website, the owner is a very respectful collector of Diana's newspaper. It is impossible for her to fake it.

It is from Sun newspaper on September 3rd.

It tells of a letter written by Prince Charles to Princess Diana on August 30th just hours before Diana died in a car crash in Paris.

Memories Of Diana : The Last Letter From Charles She Never Read - Princess Diana Remembered

The article may be accurate but the contents of the letter - I am not so sure.

The idea that they would take the boys on a cruise doesn't add up as they were due back at school by the second week in September - they returned a week late due to her death and I doubt that either parent would have considered it appropriate to take the boys on another holiday in the first three weeks of the new school year - which is what this paper is suggesting.

The Sun isn't now and wasn't then the most reliable of papers with many made up stories.

A letter from Charles to Diana - yes no question - but that they had the contents of that letter four days after she died - or two days after she would have received it is a bit over-the-top in my opinion.

http://www.princess-diana-remembered.com/uploads/5/3/3/5/5335384/03-09-97.jpg

Thank you for let us know that she did leave some money to the charity. I am not sure whether this part has been carried out. It seems to me, people do not respect her will too much.

Diana did not leave any money to charity in her will. She gave her executors the option to give money to charity but she didn't require it.

It's nice that she gave the proceeds from the sale of some dresses that she wasn't ever going to wear again to charity. I could never raise money by auctioning off my old clothes but I often give them to charity.

Diana was very effective at getting publicity for very good causes. She inspired many people, including you--and that is great.

But you allege that her two photo ops on the landmine ban campaign is proof that Diana should be considered an example for all of us. I vehemently disagree. As I indicated, I worked on that issue from 1994 to 2001 (well before Princess Diana got involved) and met some truly amazing people who dedicate their lives to helping others.

Diana didn't dedicate her life to helping others. At the height of her charity work, she spent a few days a week getting publicity for good causes--and herself. Princess Anne spent far more time and effort on her charity work without daily publicity.

Few of us would follow the example of Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charities and give up our comfortable lives and work in dirty, dangerous conditions to help others. The people who do are extraordinary. Diana was an ordinary person in an extraordinary position. She was married to the Prince of Wales and had a world wide following. But she led a very comfortable life and her charitable work required little sacrifice on her part and it gave her the publicity and public adoration she craved.

The article may be accurate but the contents of the letter - I am not so sure.

The idea that they would take the boys on a cruise doesn't add up as they were due back at school by the second week in September - they returned a week late due to her death and I doubt that either parent would have considered it appropriate to take the boys on another holiday in the first three weeks of the new school year - which is what this paper is suggesting.

The Sun isn't now and wasn't then the most reliable of papers with many made up stories.

A letter from Charles to Diana - yes no question - but that they had the contents of that letter four days after she died - or two days after she would have received it is a bit over-the-top in my opinion.

You bring up interesting points. :flowers: For me, even without what you say, it just doesn't add up.

I am not sure whether I got your idea right. Do you suspect it is fake? I am quite sure it was not fake. It is from princess-diana-remembered website, the owner is a very respectful collector of Diana's newspaper. It is impossible for her to fake it.

As presented, it could be very easily faked, I'm afraid.

It is from Sun newspaper on September 3rd.

Then that information should be on the clipping. It would be easy to photograph if it is real.

It tells of a letter written by Prince Charles to Princess Diana on August 30th just hours before Diana died in a car crash in Paris.

Too dramatic imo, and as Iluvbertie is saying, it is very unlikely such a letter's contents at such a time would have been made available to a tabloid newspaper.

I still maintain a question about the supposed newspaper clipping. It should have far more 'provenance' to be authentic imo. Surely that context should be available, I would think. Most people, when saving such clippings, as a matter of course, include the relevant information. It's what makes a clipping valuable. Otherwise, yes, it could be a hoax.

Last edited:
Diana did not leave any money to charity in her will. She gave her executors the option to give money to charity but she didn't require it.

It's nice that she gave the proceeds from the sale of some dresses that she wasn't ever going to wear again to charity. I could never raise money by auctioning off my old clothes but I often give them to charity.

Diana was very effective at getting publicity for very good causes. She inspired many people, including you--and that is great.

But you allege that her two photo ops on the landmine ban campaign is proof that Diana should be considered an example for all of us. I vehemently disagree. As I indicated, I worked on that issue from 1994 to 2001 (well before Princess Diana got involved) and met some truly amazing people who dedicate their lives to helping others.

Diana didn't dedicate her life to helping others. At the height of her charity work, she spent a few days a week getting publicity for good causes--and herself. Princess Anne spent far more time and effort on her charity work without daily publicity.

Few of us would follow the example of Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charities and give up our comfortable lives and work in dirty, dangerous conditions to help others. The people who do are extraordinary. Diana was an ordinary person in an extraordinary position. She was married to the Prince of Wales and had a world wide following. But she led a very comfortable life and her charitable work required little sacrifice on her part and it gave her the publicity and public adoration she craved.

Very nice of you to try to degrade Diana's charity work and her passion for helping others to practically nothing.

Members of the royal family do a lot to help highlight the problems and issues that affect peoples lives. Of course, they may not have their hands deep down in the dirt of the problems, but their public platform allows them to bring a great deal of attention to many deserving causes. Diana did just that in her tenure as HRH The Princess of Wales.

Diana had a shaky start in establishing her royal role, but over time she grew and gained enough experience in her role. She had a special connection with the people that not even the royal family seen before. Diana didn't crave for the public to adore her, but she was very appreciative of their affection towards her, and she gave that affection right back to them.

Many people remain confused on why the world mourned her passing in the manner in which they did. I firmly believe many of us mourned her, because she was a beautiful young mother was taken away from her children far too early, and she really touched peoples lives all over the world. People have met her, or never met her, felt as if they knew her personally. Despite her marital issues and short time here, Diana will never be forgotten and will always have a special place in history.

Very nice of you to try to degrade Diana's charity work and her passion for helping others to practically nothing.
I didn't degrade it to "practically nothing" but I am also not going to exaggerate it. If she had such a passion for helping others, why did she drastically cut back her appearances for charities in the last few years of her life?

The fact is that she lived a very comfortable existence and she gave very little of her own money to charity. She spent more time and money on vacations and shopping than she spent helping others. My husband and I have probably given a higher percentage of our income to charity than Diana ever did.

She brought a lot of publicity to great causes, and she enjoyed the experience of helping others as well as the adoration she received for doing so. There is nothing wrong with being a little selfish when doing charity work. Mother Teresa's motives weren't entirely unselfish: She did it with the expectation that she would be rewarded in heaven (and I think she is).

It is ridiculous to claim that Diana was completely unselfish and put herself at risk to help others. Her charitable work helped others while giving her the good publicity she craves and she was able to perform it without being truly inconvenienced.

One of the reasons that Diana is so fascinating is because she was living the fantasy for most people: she lived a comfortable life and helped others at the same time. I'd rather be Diana than Mother Teresa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom