Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Anne Boleyn and her sister Mary would have had the exact same bloodline.

my friend, I say the diret boodline of anne boleyn die with elizabeth I, like the direct bloodline of Louis XVI or Nicholas II. yes they have family too, brothers, cousins etc but the direct bloodline die with them

Elizabeth didn't have kids. She was the only child of Anne . Anne bloodline descendants dyed out with Elizabeth

I think the difference diana-ane bolena is that ane bolena's blodline die with elizabeth I, diana' blodline (she desend of charles II and james II) will continue in william and harry

This is the post I answered with this

The Boleyn bloodline still lives through Mary Boleyn. In the Spencer's, therefore William, and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge

I is through Catherine Carey, Mary Boleyns daughter.

Here is one of the articles I found.

Kate and William Windsor both descend from sister of Anne Boleyn | Suite101

I was arguing that the Boleyn bloodline ( which is Anne's) does live on. The Henry/Anne bloodline died out.

I believe, although I'm not certain, that the "Catherine is descended from Mary Boleyn" thing was disproved. The Boleyn line does live on in William though.

Last edited by a moderator:
the boleyn bloodline maybe, but the anne's boleyn bloodline die with Elizabeth I.

Remembering Diana: BBC 4 Radio Broadcast 4pm Today-
Remembering Diana - did Princess Diana's death lead to a major shift in British culture? Professor of Sociology, Vic Seidler, talks to Laurie Taylor about his new book which analyses the repercussions of Diana, Princess of Wales', death in 1997:
BBC Radio 4 - Thinking Allowed, Remembering Diana

Last week, a friend of mine gave me some magazines and a newspaper that came out soon after Diana died. The reverential tone was quite something to read and brought back so many memories from that late summer of 1997. Things have turned out so differently from what was expected: Charles married Camilla; Earl Spencer doesn't seem to have had much influence in the lives of William and Harry; the British Monarchy is currently thriving; and Diana is no longer remembered as a secular "saint" but as a flawed woman who achieved remarkable things in her short life. I think that one of her great legacies is how Kate has been more gradually introduced to Royal life. Another one is that William and Harry were/are free to marry someone they really love and not only someone who has the right family background and social connections.:flowers:

Last edited:
Last week, a friend of mine gave me some magazines and a newspaper that came out soon after Diana died. The reverential tone was quite something to read and brought back so many memories from that late summer of 1997. Things have turned out so differently from what was expected: Charles married Camilla; Earl Spencer doesn't seem to have had much influence in the lives of William and Harry; the British Monarchy is currently thriving; and Diana is no longer remembered as a secular "saint" but as a flawed woman who achieved remarkable things in her short life. I think that one of her great legacies is how Kate has been more gradually introduced to Royal life. Another one is that William and Harry were/are free to marry someone they really love and not only someone who has the right family background and social connections.:flowers:

So true. That is the power of TIME. It heals everything and anything.
Only sad part is a small (though ever-diminishing) group of fanatics dont want to come out of the shell and move on, still hanging on to their silly beliefs (or rather fantasies)..

I've just glanced at the thread, but here are my thoughts regarding the legacy:

When she was alive she was the most known woman in the world. One could not buy milk without reading some headline about her. And she was larger than life in those brief 16 years. One need not follow royals, or give a hoot, to recognize her photo instantly and know who she was. My dad could tell you who she was in an instant.

Fast forward: people who were either not alive during that time or too young to follow her have no idea who she is, or her legacy, or anything else. My friend's much younger sister once asked her "who was Princess Diana and what was it all about?" My own kids couldn't tell you who she is - but know there's a "Kate" out there. She is relegated to that of trivia question.

So I'm afraid her legacy has already faded tremendously.

I think it's up to parents and guardians to tell the children who the late Princess of Wales was and what she was about. It's up to the people to keep her memory alive. Continue to support her charities or even draw some inspiration and establish and support your own charitable organizations.

I think it's up to us to keep Diana's memory alive and to spead love like she did.

I think it's up to parents and guardians to tell the children who the late Princess of Wales was and what she was about. It's up to the people to keep her memory alive. Continue to support her charities or even draw some inspiration and establish and support your own charitable organizations.

I think it's up to us to keep Diana's memory alive and to spead love like she did.

Why on earth would anyone, except her own family, feel the need to tell their children about a woman they are not related to, and who the story teller likely never even met let alone knew personally, who died before they were ever born? It just does not make sense to me why the millions of people born since 1997 should be told all about Diana. For what purpose?
Surely providing your own lifes example to your children would be more to the point if you want them to know about the importance of charity instead of talking about some long dead lady they never would know. It is one thing to idolize Diana for whatever reasons but lets let some reality into the discussion when talking about people born long after she was settled into her grave at Althrop.

Last edited:

I find Diana fascinating, but I don't talk to my children about her. For one thing, I'm not sure that she did spread love. Diana's legacy is pretty mixed. My daughter is very interested in Prince William and Catherine. I'm sure she knows who Diana was, but I think she knows about her the same way Diana fans knew who Frances was. My daughter's more interested in the next generation and she thinks Charles and Camilla are lovable grandparental figures.

I think that is the way it should be. The world moves on.

ETA: I can't believe that I forgot to mention that my daughter is also very interested in Prince Harry.

Last edited:
Guys, don't get me wrong here. I'm not talking about idolizing Diana but if children wanted to know who she was, then I think it's okay to tell them about her and the charities she helped support. That she wasn't a saint or anything but she was a compassionate person who used her status as a senior royal to do good towards others. That could be one way to keep her memory alive.

The memory of the late Princess fades, as it should. She did much good in the wider world, but much damage too, not just to the British Monarchy, but to people who knew, and trusted her.

I shall always have mixed feelings about her.

Guys, don't get me wrong here. I'm not talking about idolizing Diana but if children wanted to know who she was, then I think it's okay to tell them about her and the charities she helped support. That she wasn't a saint or anything but she was a compassionate person who used her status as a senior royal to do good towards others. That could be one way to keep her memory alive.

I agree with your point here.

I disagree with the general idea that Diana's legacy is fading because her memory is fading. Look at the continued attacks towards Camilla on the DM - that's part of Diana's legacy. Look at how people jump every time Catherine is doing something like Diana - also part of Diana's legacy.

The problem with Diana's legacy, as I see it, is that when she's pulled out in the media it's never as Diana the Person, but rather as Diana the Saint.

We often see William, Harry, and Catherine being compared to Diana and while that's good in theory, in practice it's flawed. When the boys get compared to Charles or other family members it's more of a "William is like Charles in this, and that's good/bad," "Harry does this differently from Charles and that's good/bad," or "the boys are like this, which is different from how their dad does it, but both ways work." The comparisons are even handed and aren't made necessarily to tear down anyone.

When comparisons are made to Diana, however, it's more often a comparison to the mythical Saint Diana and not the real Diana. As a result, either the boys are built up because they're like their mother, or torn down because they aren't like her. Similarly, Catherine's built up and torn down depending on how much like Diana she is, but she's also built up and torn down based on how much the media thinks she's imitating Diana and whether or not they think that's a good thing at any given time. As we see William, Harry, and Catherine as more rounded individuals, we're placing them in what is essentially a game of roulette that they're destined to lose.

As always, it depends on what is meant by Diana's legacy is fading. Many of the people making comparisons to Diana are over the age of 30, and most are in the 50+ category. There is no question that putting Diana on the cover will sell newspapers and magazines to people over the age of 30. But I don't see Diana on the cover of magazines targeted to teenagers.

We'll see how well the movie does. I'm not impressed by the trailer. Unless it gets really good reviews (Naomi Watts is a wonderful actress) I probably won't see it in the theaters. My daughter is not talking about that movie. If she goes, it will only be because of her interest in William and Harry.

Obviously, the producers think the movie will make money, but they did not release it during the summer blockbuster season in the U.S. when teenagers are crowding the theater. I think the movie is geared for older audiences.

Last edited:
I think the idea is to not compare them to Diana so much but I must say that they handle the comparisons well...from what I see.

I think William & Harry had always known that they would live in their parents shadows but I also think they knew the same would happen with Catherine. Now that her engagement ring was once Diana's. I think she handles it well too.

I don't think it's fair to use Diana's personal life to put down Camilla though. I think those years of hurt and pain is over and I think Diana is in a place where love and forgiveness reigns. I think the Camilla put down is old and tired, although her past will follow her for the rest of her life and into history. I also think it causes people turn on Diana's memory too. That's not a good thing and unfair.

Last edited:
Nice retrospective video, Dman. Does anyone wonder why no one is trying to take pictures of Camilla with a long lensed camera, running after her, and upsetting her? How many of you posters think she will be remembered 16 years after her death? At least Diana has children she left behind, one of whom will be King of Great Britain one day. He is the greatest of her legacies? What will be 'Ga Ga Grammy Cammy's'?

^^^^
The fact that she is still being talked about 16 years after her death does not mean that everyone is talking about her in a positive light. If the best that one can say about her legacy is that she gave birth to 2 children well I cannot say that is much of a legacy. Even a couple of randy teenagers can pull that one off without much thought.

Unlike Diana, Camilla didn't aspire to be the Princess of Wales or the Queen. She would have been happy even if Charles had not been the Prince of Wales. Camilla's legacy is her own children and with her friends. Diana wanted the legacy and she got it, but I'm not sure it was worth it.

I think Diana did what she had to do as Princess of Wales. I think Camilla wanted the job but Charles more. She got what she wanted but with an interesting past.

As always, it depends on what is meant by Diana's legacy is fading. Many of the people making comparisons to Diana are over the age of 30, and most are in the 50+ category. There is no question that putting Diana on the cover will sell newspapers and magazines to people over the age of 30. But I don't see Diana on the cover of magazines targeted to teenagers.

We'll see how well the movie does. I'm not impressed by the trailer. Unless it gets really good reviews (Naomi Watts is a wonderful actress) I probably won't see it in the theaters. My daughter is not talking about that movie. If she goes, it will only be because of her interest in William and Harry.

As I see it, we are at a stage where Diana is moving from being a person most people remember and about whom they have strong feelings in respect of her life and her marriage and divorce, to being a historical figure. As a historical figure she has a permanent place in the Royal Family as the mother and grandmother, etc., of future monarchs, but she is also a historical figure whose life after she came to Charles' attention was the subject of much media and public attention and has been recorded in great detail by contemporary observers. With the passing of time her life will be examined and written about by historians with the distance and objectivity one expects from their perspective, but the more biased (and therefore more interesting in many ways) contemporary accounts, and these films, will still exist in the public realm.

She certainly had a interesting life for a Royal, and I would expect younger people who have an active curiosity and some interest in history to take an interest in her and see the movie, and also "The Queen". The 1978 mini series "Edward and Mrs Simpson" provides a glimpse into the lives of those two controversial figures from history for those of us who were not alive at that time. "The King's Speech" is in the same category, and I'm sure there are many others. I consider that anything that gives historical figures a personality and enables us to relate to them as human beings rather than just names on a piece of paper is a good thing. Of course it is necessary to apply commonsense and filters and realise that not everything in these dramatisations is fact, but they are still useful tools and in my opinion anything that inspires young people to seek more information about the events of history is a good thing. Far too many of them don't seem to care a hoot about anything that happened before they were born.

Nice retrospective video, Dman. Does anyone wonder why no one is trying to take pictures of Camilla with a long lensed camera, running after her, and upsetting her? How many of you posters think she will be remembered 16 years after her death? At least Diana has children she left behind, one of whom will be King of Great Britain one day. He is the greatest of her legacies? What will be 'Ga Ga Grammy Cammy's'?

I'm not sure what Camilla has to do with Diana's legacy. Diana has a multi faceted legacy most of it positive. Camilla's existence does not take away from Diana. And putting Camilla down doesn't build Diana up.

Diana will have a place in history. If the monarchy survives, she will be noted as a mother of a King and the first woman to divorce a Prince of Wales. If the monarchy doesn't survive, most historians will assign much of the blame or credit to Diana and Charles.

Regarding the question of how younger people view Diana, I'm not sure the film will have much influence. From what I've read, it focuses more on Diana's relationship with Hasnat Khan rather than her relationship with the monarchy. If that's true, Diana, William and Harry may be more sympathetic but since the three of them are already very popular, I don't see that it will make a difference.

I am a little concerned that to the extent the royal family is featured, the film will focus on Diana's point of view, which I don't think was completely accurate. The royal family probably will not be portrayed as out-and-out villains, but the palace is probably not looking forward to the release.

I'm also concerned that the portrayal of Prince Charles will be similar to that in "The Queen." I have a friend who strongly believes that Charles wanted to deflect public anger toward his mother because he was afraid he would be physically attacked.

That's one thing I don't believe in doing, building one person up by putting the other down. I see people doing this to Diana and Camilla. I don't think it's fair or appropriate.

I am a little concerned that to the extent the royal family is featured, the film will focus on Diana's point of view, which I don't think was completely accurate. The royal family probably will not be portrayed as out-and-out villains, but the palace is probably not looking forward to the release.

I'm also concerned that the portrayal of Prince Charles will be similar to that in "The Queen." I have a friend who strongly believes that Charles wanted to deflect public anger toward his mother because he was afraid he would be physically attacked.

I'm not sure the palace cares much about the film. Although, I'm thinking palace staff my go see the film.

I think there's was a major lack of understanding on the public's part on why The Queen and royal family stayed at Balmoral after Diana's horrible passing. I think past palace official have admitted that they could've handled the PR side of things differently. I don't think the media and the public knew that The Queen and family stayed at Balmoral to help comfort William & Harry. I think the media and public got the wrong impression that The Queen and family didn't care about what happened to Diana in Paris and it caused outrage. With hard feelings about the divorce, the public took things the wrong way, IMO.

Last edited:
...We'll see how well the movie does. I'm not impressed by the trailer. Unless it gets really good reviews (Naomi Watts is a wonderful actress) I probably won't see it in the theaters...
I think you are all right. I had forgotten about the movie, but it's one my girlfriends and I would get together and go see on one of those delicious girls' nights out - we were all in early teens when Diana came on the scene and basically grew up, came of age, and matured during her lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom