Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BINGO Ish. As a child I very well remember my mom and her friends laughing and giggling over tabloid articles featuring Princess Margaret's marital battles with Lord Snowdon, her affair with Roddy Llewellyn cavorting on Mustique, her jet set escapades and eventually her divorce which was quite a shock when it happened.

She was a precursor to Diana who simply picked up where "Margo" left off...with a much wider audience this time around, imo.

Last edited:
I am able to identify when - a time - when the nature of the royal family changed from a serious institution to a soap opera and that change took place when Diana entered.

What has hit me is the fact that it was the time and not so much Diana as the catalyst of the perception of the BRF. With the 90s came the birth of personal computers and cell phones readily available to the masses and this is the main cause of the change in how we look at the Royal Family. They didn't change. The world did. When Queen Juliana of the Netherlands abdicated in favor of Beatrix in 1980, there wasn't a TRF to have a world wide forum to discuss whether or not Elizabeth II would think of abdicating as she grew older. With Beatrix's, every little detail was instantaneous with social media and internet live coverage and extensive discussions in various threads here even on every aspect imaginable from finery to facial expressions and historical meanings to hairdos. With the information readily available to us at a touch of a keystroke, we have more information (for better or worse) than ever at our fingertips.

One thing remains a constant in the UK and that is its monarchy. It is rich in its heritage and its traditions and it is the glue that gives a sense of pride and continuity. Small changes have been made such as buses instead of carriages at royal weddings and we don't see so many tiaras and white tie events as we used to but the main core of pomp, circumstance and tradition remain down to some of even the ages old traditions of the Opening of Parliament.

I don't think that Elizabeth II will ever even think of the possibility of an abdication. Its just not a feasible option in any form for her. She's Queen until she draws her last breath. She's also very much aware (perhaps even more so than any one of us) of how the world is changing and that in itself would inspire her to try and hold onto and maintain the heritage she has given her entire life to serve.

It's sad the earl spencer close althorp house to the public, there is a place where the pople can gie diana a flower, but diana things like the weddings drees will go the right hands, william and harry, they are man now and they can decided to do with they mother personal things not like she die and both are children.

I never can go th althorp because I have totally panic to the planes but WE know she don't is burried there, some day the true come out. diana body don't is in althorp!

100s of years from now people will be identifying her entry into the family as a turning point - that is what history does - it rakes over the coals for ever and she will be discussed for centuries to come.

It is people who haven't yet come to terms with the fact that she is an historic figure who have to realise that she is a fact of history that have to get over that fact and realise that she will be discussed and criticised forever and ever - no different to any other historic figure - which is what she is.

Historic figure?? Maybe, but only if you consider People magazine as a reference document. Diana will IMO be a footnote in the actual history books, ultimately no more important than the wife of George IV.

Historic figure?? Maybe, but only if you consider People magazine as a reference document. Diana will IMO be a footnote in the actual history books, ultimately no more important than the wife of George IV.
Exactly..Diana will not be a "historic" figure..I actually think Iluvbertie used that term in a sarcastic sense, rather than to glorify her..
Aside from QETQM, Prince Philip and even "Queen Camilla"" will be more "historic" than Diana.

I can see Diana as a historic figure, a turning point, depending upon the the lives of her children and now her grandchildren. That is a person's legacy, their children. The majority of Harry and Will's lives are still to be mapped out, and of course the new baby. Will this be a good legacy, a bad legacy, or somewhere in between? What in Diana will they have inherited? Will there be a turning point in the monarchy, led by William, or his child, and how much of this comes down to Diana? Get back to be in about 40-60 years time, if I'm still around, and we will know better.

As for the idea that it was Diana who was the creator of the notion that monarchy is equated with celebrity, and some of it quite Kardashian like, I think that notion came about long before. It's the case of the public, press and palace trying to define the role of monarchy in the modern world.

After WWI, when a number of European monarchies fell, and we really entered the 20th century, the notion of Divine Right was dead. Just what was the purpose of monarchy. With the advent of new technologies, with the advent of a society far less rigid, formal and obsequious society, the idea that royals were mere celebrities was born.

The first royal celebrities were arguably the last Romanovs, who were still absolute monarchs. The family was beautiful and tragic, and they were also isolated much like the Japanese royals today. The photos of the four grand duchesses growing up were sought after. Their brutal deaths rendered them all the more tragic. It was their status as celebrity that gave way to pretenders such as Anna Anderson gaining worldwide attention.

After their deaths, the press turned to two royal figures as celebrity figures; the Prince of Wales (who is much like a 1920's and 30's Prince Harry), a dashing, playboy prince. The nation disapproved but loved to follow his antics. Then there was baby Elizabeth. It was her mother, the then Duchess of York, who in a very savvy way played the media by releasing little sanctioned tidbits about her life, sanctioned a little book about the Princess, sanctioned photos released to the media. It was all very canny of her, keeping interest in Elizabeth, and starting the first modern PR spin surrounding the royal family. Little did she know what she would one say unleash.

So I would say it was in fact the Queen Mother who first USED the press for PR. The rest that followed; Princess Margaret, Randy Andy and Koo Stark, etc, etc.

Princess Diana was the second royal to once again USE the media - but unlike the Queen Mother, she used it for her own self-preservation, not the preservation of the royals. She turned the media against the BRF, but she was certainly not the first royal to use the media, or to turn royalty into the notion of celebrity.

The difference is that Diana's descendents will be sitting on the throne.

She most certainly will go down as an historic figure - loved and loathed in life and divisive in death - that is one reason why she will always be an historic figure.

Things changed because of her - for both good and bad - making her an historic figure.

Exactly..Diana will not be a "historic" figure..I actually think Iluvbertie used that term in a sarcastic sense, rather than to glorify her..
Aside from QETQM, Prince Philip and even "Queen Camilla"" will be more "historic" than Diana.
Camilla will be the footnote as the wife of a King while Diana will be more front and centre as the mother of a king, the grandmother of a monarch etc.

You can think that I used the term in a sarcastic sense but as an history teacher that is never the way I use the term.

Historic figures are people who change the world and she did that - she changed the way the BRF operates and the way the people view the royal family - that makes her an historic figure.

There are many many biographies of her already and that number will increase as her life becomes more distant and more documents about her come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote from Iluvbertie

100s of years from now people will be identifying her entry into the family as a turning point - that is what history does - it rakes over the coals for ever and she will be discussed for centuries to come.

I don't think it was her entry into the family but the Royal response to her death that will be seen as historical.

The Queen who could do wrong, who was (and still is) lauded for putting her duty first above everything, was deemed to have got it wrong. The first time she publically put her family first and she was castigated for it.

I think now, in calmer times, she is generally perceived to have got it right but the historical fact will be that she was made to change her stance due to direct public opinion.

And all because Diana died.

The difference is that Diana's descendents will be sitting on the throne.

She most certainly will go down as an historic figure - loved and loathed in life and divisive in death - that is one reason why she will always be an historic figure.

Things changed because of her - for both good and bad - making her an historic figure.

I totaly agree with you in historic book un the future, if she don't figure for herhelf she will fugure that the mother of the king william V

Neither Camilla nor Diana is going to go down in history as a footnote.

One is the mother of a future king, the other the wife of one. Both have had a huge impact on the monarchy, the public, and the way the two interact. Neither one is going to go down in history as a mere footnote.

If you think as much, consider Wallis Simpson, Alice Keppel, Nell Gwyn, Anne Boleyn, Katherine Swynford, Eleanor of Aquitaine... Some of these were wives, some were mistresses, some had children with their royal significant others, others didn't, and others still were only rumoured to have done so... Some may not be mentioned in every history book on the me they loved, but none would be omitted from a biography, or simply relegated to a footnote. That's not how history works.

Like them or not, Diana is a historic figure and, when she passes, Camilla will be one as well.

Most wives of kings have become footnotes. By that, I mean that most people would have to look up the name of the wife. For example, how many people could name the wife of George the IV off the top of their heads? Maybe many people on this board, but the vast majority would have to search the Internet for the answer.

Kings, Queens, and their offspring are known to their contemporaries and maybe one generation later. Unless they changed the course of history, they tend to recede in our memories because it's only natural that new personalities emerge and begin to take center stage.

I tend to think that Diana will be little more than a footnote. She will certainly be remembered for through William's lifetime, another 60 years or so. There will be some discussion as her children and grandchildren reach certain milestones, but it will lessen over time and she will gradually fade from our consciousness.

However, her ultimate place in history will depend on whether the British monarchy survives over the next 60 years or so. I expect the monarchy to continue, but if either Charles or William become the last King, Diana will figure prominently in history books. There will be a constant argument of how much damage, if any, she did to the monarchy. On the other hand, if William's child becomes monarch, it is unlikely the media or anyone else will continue to debate Diana's role in modern life because the world does move on.

Last edited:
iluvbertie said:
I don't think it was her entry into the family but the Royal response to her death that will be seen as historical...
I disagree - her entry was accompanied by the frenzy around the family that hadn't been there before. Her entry was clearly the event that changed the family and the way it worked.

Her death was significant for showing how easily the press can and did manipulate the public but they were only learning from the master manipulater in Diana herself.

Her legacy is divisive - some people see her as this wonderful saintlike figure while others see her as a disaster from day 1 and those opinions were around during her lifetime as well as after her death.

The late Princess of Wales is and always will be an historic figure. That famous 1981 royal wedding, her beauty, fashion, her charity work and her tragic death has forever put Diana Frances Spencer/HRH Princess of Wales in our history books. Generations to come will know who Diana was.

The Duchess of Cornwall will always be an historic figure because the part she played in Charles & Diana's marriage and the fact she married Charles and will now probably be a future Queen. The controversy alone has put Camilla in our history books.

Diana will be the an historic figure, in that she is the grandmother of the newest entry to the royal succession, and the mother to a future king, really and a crowning persona in what royals should look like and have now copied her.

Camiila will be the queen to the king , who will reign for few years. A mistress who succeeded and who made queen, beyond the royal family "we are superior", nonsense. A travesty to all the "royal nonsense" that made them "better". She will, always, be his mistress. Which would not be a shame, but the family did that to others.

Cudos to all of you in the recent posts about Diana's legacy. This has been a highly civil, well stated series of arguments about a speculative topic. This is why people contribute to or even simply visit without contributing to the Royal Forums.

Time of course will tell, but it's lovely to see you all dialoguing so constructively. Not that anyone appointed me to do this - I just like it when we play nice and I learn things. :previous:

Tell that to the AIDS Community. Back when there was so much fear and terror over the AIDS Epidemic and so much misinformation out there, pictures of Diana shaking the hands of AIDS victims w/out wearing any gloves? That did more for AIDS Awareness than any Awareness Campaign or Educational Effort had ever done to that point. The same w/Leprosy during some of their East Asian Tours where she was once again seen shaking hands w/Leprosy victims w/out gloves on and once again, did more for Awareness and Education than anything to that point.

Tell that to the Disabled Community. Diana was the first major Royal to take on the "supposedly" unpopular causes, such as the Mentally Disabled to name just one. She also fought for integration both in and outside the Schools between Disabled and Able bodied Children w/the various Patronages she took on that were and still are fighting that battle and brought badly needed exposure to the issue like never before.

And try telling that to me!! I met her back in 1991 during her final visit to Canada. When she and Charles arrived on the level of Science North that I was on, I had been placed beside two people in Wheelchairs in order to hope we'd at the very least have a good view of TRHs coming onto the exhibit level we were all on. When she and Charles walked off the spiral ramp that's the access way to the various exhibit floors, we literally had a crowd right in front of us and blocking whatever view we did have.

Diana saw what had happened too. She headed straight for us and instead of meeting those that had rudely blocked our clear view, said in a pleasant tone to them "Excuse me please?" and w/the crowd performing a Human version of the Parting of the Red Sea, she headed straight for us to chat w/before anyone else on that part of Science North that day.

At the time I was still dealing w/all I went through during my years of Hell School as the first Legally Blind/Visually Impaired Student while in my final year there and little did I know it then, but five months later I would be starting two years on Kidney Dialysis and two Transplants as well. One of the few things that helped me on some of the worst days I used to say I would never wish on anyone, were the memories of that very special day when Princess Diana met *me*!!

So if all you think Diana's place in History is, is as a Tabloid Diva and nothing more, that's your opinion. The truth OTOH is not even close!!

BTW, the reason why I now say I used to say I would never wish what I have gone through in my life on anyone, is due to this. W/the direction this World of ours is headed down, where Compassion seems to be dying and rudeness more and more the Order of the Day and Things, perhaps if more people walked a few miles in mine or some of my friends' shoes and went through what I have to deal w/just shopping for Groceries for example, then maybe that would turn things around.

Perhaps it would, perhaps it wouldn't. I do know Diana made a difference not just w/me, not just the various Charities she worked w/, but she made a difference in this World of ours. I for one will be doing my best to keep her Memory and Legacy alive always.

Last edited:
I disagree with the assumption that Diana was responsible for the world accepting AIDS patients. That is the course of any disease in a society. First there is enormous stigma, then little resignation, followed by reluctant acceptance, after thorough education.. All this occurs over a turn of 10 years. AIDS was established in early 80s, and this cycle went through for a decade and by mid-90s, people were able to accept HIV patients anyway.

I have never heard of anyone making that assumption. But without the information and society being educated about the disease. And the awareness brought on by regular people and famous persons such as Magic Johnson, the Princess, Liz Taylor and many others we wouldn't be here today with the advancement of knowledge on the disease and the acceptance of those who have the virus.

Tell that to the AIDS Community...
Tell that to the Disabled Community...
And try telling that to me!!...
Thank you very much for sharing your personal memories of Princess Diana. It sounds like she was truly generous. I wish you the best.

COUNTESS and GracieGiraffe, thanks for the great posts. ICAM 100%.

Tiggersk8, your memories of your personal encounter with the late princess brought tears to my eyes and confirmed what I have always felt. For all her flaws, for all her neuroses, Diana was an amazing human being. She was a gift to her country and the world. In her own small way she lit both, for the brief time she was here.

She was descended from kings and will be the mother of the king... not Camilla, basically the mistress who had the tenacity that made her into a wife and will go down in history as such.

Anyone who truly believes the beautiful, tragic, intensely controversial Diana will be relegated to a mere footnote is probably engaging in wishful thinking.

Anyone who truly believes the beautiful, tragic, intensely controversial Diana will be relegated to a mere footnote is probably engaging in wishful thinking.
or maybe they just understand the difference between history books and People magazine.

Tigersk8: Thanks for such a moving message.

Those of us who are lucky have life changing moments with successful or important people; we remember them all our lives and our lives are shaped with the help of what happened in those moments.

The great thing about Diana - is that she planted seeds in her children. Look today at Harry interacting with the competitors in the cycle race in Colorado. These are not different, wounded, less-than-whole people to him, they are just comrades in arms and ready for a good listen or joke. She lives on in Harry, Wills and I think Sophie gets it too.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/16...rZGdDrZMSVXReXjF6+pZ4jZT/F1/nqLVsv/2sEOoVYw==

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/16...F28wfVHbjTjUso8FRymlowTps/+md1qXzyFnG0AFPlw==

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/16...Vox1QX/Yd8b+q25kwswfAgjOlYOo9VYXdH3TJpAMOdg==

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/16...JoYBqsRx017diCAs9qp/xAUQtKlX5a7vm0MBtSByZXA==

or maybe they just understand the difference between history books and People magazine.

I certainly understand the difference. I gave up on People Magazine about 15 years ago and have been an avid reader of history since childhood. :cool:

My point is that Diana will not be relegated to a mere footnote in British Royal history by anyone with an objective opinion on the subject, and I stand by that.

Last edited:
People Magazine is garbage. That being said, Diana will hardly be a footnote. Her children are her legacy. The new prince on the way will be HER grandchild. She will be the Mother and Grandmother of Kings.

Thank you Tigger for recounting your personal encounter with the POW. She was very perceptive and compassionate.
King Edward, the one who abdicated, was so much more of a star than ANY of the royals of today. Songs were written about him, etc. newsreels.
The fact that there wasntin ternet, twitter, tv, in fact competing mediums for disseminating "news" made many less celebrities, and bigger stars.
Diana was another very attractive, photogenic royal, whose ascention happend to coincide with the birth of the tabloid media machine in the UK by a certain Australian.
I believe that was instrumental in her celebrity, and the advent of move newsreels, the ascent of the former POW Edward, later King

Here is what I have to say about this:

Diana will be a historic figure in her own right. She might be compared to Marilyn Monroe whom till now is talked about due to their young deaths.

Diana might also be compared to Caroline of Brunswick or Catherine of Aragon... who knows

However when it comes to Charles and Camilla, Diana will be a footnote in their relationship. No matter what anyone thinks of them, their relationship resembles the typical love story forbidden starcrossed lovers story. Here is a piece that was written about them in 2005 by Australian comedian Wendy Harmer...very interesting:

Charles and Camilla

In conclusion:

Diana will be remembered for her beauty, tragic death and her bloodline ruling will determine whether or not she was an asset to the monarchy

Charles and Camilla have also made their mark with their relationship...They will be remembered like that of Anthony and cleopatara or Tristan and Isolde.

Well when I think of great tragic relationships like Marc Anthony and Cleopatra, Charles and Camilla do not come to mind it's like a huge stretch. But that's just my opinion.

Well when I think of great tragic relationships like Marc Anthony and Cleopatra, Charles and Camilla do not come to mind it's like a huge stretch. But that's just my opinion.

Well Anthony and Cleopatra's story is much more...I didn't really think of the comparison until I also read this two articles which compared both...

Tragedies of Shakespeare: Antony and Cleopatra | Bookstove

Love, marriage and Shakespearean tragedies are wasted on the young - Howard Jacobson - Commentators - The Independent

Both relationships are unique and bizarre in their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom