Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are still many, many people who give a lot of time to helping people who are ill or shut-in at home or disadvantaged children; and they do it, not for money or for reputation, but because they care about their neighbours and community members and young people.

I appreciate what you wrote.

I didn't explain myself properly the first time.

For me, the whole situation is sad, sad, sad.

Diana died in a most horrific manner, at such an early age.

I've still not found anyone like Diana to look up to, respect, in the 'public eye', after all these years.

Something, maybe a feeling or an emotion of a care for others or a concern for peoples general welfare and caring for the 'underdog' died with Diana, and I don't expect it to be replaced in my lifetime.

northerner72 you are right about Diana, Princess of Wales death. I was depressed for a while. But I am a positive person and know she is with God now and she can not be hurt any more. I think Prince Charles marrying would have hurt Princess Diana, so I am glad she is in a better place.

I have not found anyone since the princess died that took on causes so publicly because of her fame. I hope Prince William and Catherine do some of the work that the princess left.:sad:

As I have stated in the past. Diana, Princess of Wales living legacy is her boys. Both Princes have the compassion of their mother and it shows in their royal duties this week.

Princess Diana must be very proud of them.

sirhon11234 that video made me miss Diana, Princess of Wales.

I agree with the last paragraph from the Guardian article in above post:

Diana's ascendancy coincided with celebrity-watching spreading from downmarket magazines and tabloids to the broadsheets and the chattering classes and her progress was a bellwether of that passage. Wronged wife, feminist symbol, fashion plate, media manipulator, ingénue, sexual predator, champion of the oppressed and needy, loose cannon, charity worker, humanitarian, hysteric, bulimic, iconic Good Mother, alternative therapy flake, challenger to the establishment – Diana was all that and more. She was a one-off, fascinating and flawed. Her legacy might be mixed, but it's not insubstantial. Her life was brief, but she left her mark.

Yes, she left her mark that will continue through her sons.

BTW, the palace wants Catherine to watch films on Diana, Princess of Wales to emulate Diana's star power.

BTW, the palace wants Catherine to watch films on Diana, Princess of Wales to emulate Diana's star power.

Yah and I also heard that the Duchess of Windsor is being set forth as a fashion icon for her to emulate.

Does anyone here believe that Wlliam will, when he succeeds his father, reinstate the HRH to his mother's designation?

Personally, I think he'll posthumously create his mother a princess in her own right with the style of an HRH.

A good deal of time would have passed and a good many may wonder why he would do such a thing, but Diana, even in death, will be the mother of a King (as is expected) and I firmly believe William will acknlowledge this in by making such a tribute.

Last edited:
Why is it necessary to create HRH for the late Diana, Princess of Wales? She was born "Lady Diana".

Yes, she was. But if William decides otherwise, who are we to question the motivations of a son?

It was stated that William said that he would undertake the reinstatement when he became monarch, but whether or not he said this when she was alive, I can not recall.

It would be interesting to see if he does in any case.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying the point!
I have been unaware of the fact it is Prince William's wish to do so. We have no right to question his motives. Given the heavy influx of common blood, being born "Lady ..." is the distinction in itself.

@ Madame Royale- What William said to Diana at the time of her divorce was:
" Do not worry Mummy, I will give your HRH back to you one day when I am King."
It will be interesting to see what he does about the whole issue now. IMHO, William should give his mother her title back posthumously. She after all was the mother of a future king, and as such the title should never have been removed in the first place.
She earned the respect to be called an HRH.

I think this is very much a part of her legacy. :)
YouTube - Dreams Can Come True - Princess Di
Thanks for posting my favorite You Tube video EVER! Aside from her boys, this is her legacy, not part of it. It represents her legacy wonderfully. Just multiply this child's experience, by hundreds of thousands of people, of all ages, races, religions, backgrounds and you have the legacy of Diana.

I think this statement shows a great deal of disregard for the fact that Princess Diana changed the course of history and tradition in the royal family. Anyone who has compared the way the royal family handled introduction of Diana into the "firm" to the way in which Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton has been handled can see the very obvious differences that would not have taken place had it not been for Diana's efforts. She absolutely insisted on preparing William and Harry to be more attuned to and in touch with ordinary people and a normal way of life. Her legacy is her sons and the extraordinary way their present lives reflect enormous change. William will be a different kind of monarch, a "People's King" if you will, only because of her. Perhaps in the long range view, her contribution was over a few short years, however it is highly significant for the way in which it changed the royal family.

"All apart from the most ardent fans will recognise that within history her contribution was short, even if it was eventful. She will be remembered, when William becomes King, as his mother, nothing more or less."

I agree wholeheartedly! I think he will!

I think this statement shows a great deal of disregard for the fact that Princess Diana changed the course of history and tradition in the royal family. William will be a different kind of monarch, a "People's King" if you will, only because of her.

1; How did she change the course of history?
2; William has a very very loving, caring, extremley well educated future monarch as a father and a incredible sophisticated, well travelled and knowledgeable grandmother. Diana IMO has done not even half of what HM and Charles have done for William.

I think this statement shows a great deal of disregard for the fact that Princess Diana changed the course of history and tradition in the royal family. Anyone who has compared the way the royal family handled introduction of Diana into the "firm" to the way in which Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton has been handled can see the very obvious differences that would not have taken place had it not been for Diana's efforts. She absolutely insisted on preparing William and Harry to be more attuned to and in touch with ordinary people and a normal way of life. Her legacy is her sons and the extraordinary way their present lives reflect enormous change. William will be a different kind of monarch, a "People's King" if you will, only because of her. Perhaps in the long range view, her contribution was over a few short years, however it is highly significant for the way in which it changed the royal family.

"All apart from the most ardent fans will recognise that within history her contribution was short, even if it was eventful. She will be remembered, when William becomes King, as his mother, nothing more or less."

For more that I appreciate the sober aspect of the BRF, they would need to change anyway around. In the 50's maybe it was OK to be the figure above and distant, but now if you want to make monarchy still relevant some changes needed to be made.

BTW, there's a wonderful interview with Sarah Ferguson on YT where she says told how it pains so much to talk about Diana in the past, but her "two boys" would have made her so very proud.

Last edited:
Lumutqueen said:
2; William has a very very loving, caring, extremley well educated future monarch as a father and a incredible sophisticated, well travelled and knowledgeable grandmother. Diana IMO has done not even half of what HM and Charles have done for William.

I believe she heavily influenced both her sons and the BRF on charity work and getting down in the nitty gritty with people and living a 'real' life....She took them to McDonalds, both Charles and Queen wouldn't do that for sure, yes they influenced his 'royal' up bringing and knowledge greatly but Diana was a huge influence on their 'normalcy' and the idea that to whom much is given, much is asked and they should give back .....it's a combo....you most certainly can not discount the impact a mother had on her sons and account it solely to his father and grandmother .....

And to be fair, maybe she could have done more ( by your standards) had she lived longer to influence him..,.

....And to be fair, maybe she could have done more ( by your standards) had she lived longer to influence him..,.

Yes, she had 15 years with William and 13 with Harry. They have now lived longer (but for a few months) without her than with. Who knows how or what they would be had she lived.

One thing that it is undeniable is the love the boys show to both of their parents, Never I heard anything different. To know all the rules of books will help you, but won't be enough once things go different from what you expected.

You may have lost your mother at 15, but if she was a loving one, the impact will remain for way longer. And that's how people live on, because someone "carries" them inside.

Wonderful, Mia. That's what I thought to myself when this thread was first introduced. Diana will live as long as one person has her in their heart.

Both William and Henry have spoken publically as to the influence their mother has had on their lives and who they are as men. Not for a moment do I doubt the influence of their late mother had to their lives, and I also would not doubt that Charles would have encouraged them to speak openly about her, or even with him. Both men certainly seem to have a vivid recollection of their mother from a personal point of view which, given their age at the time of her death, shouldn't necessarily be taken for granted.

Both William and Henry have spoken publically as to the influence their mother has had on their lives and who they are as men. Not for a moment do I doubt the influence of their late mother had to their lives, and I also would not doubt that Charles would have encouraged them to speak openly about her, or even with him. Both men certainly seem to have a vivid recollection of their mother from a personal point of view which, given their age at the time of her death, shouldn't necessarily be taken for granted.

Not only their ages but how little time that actually spent with her. They were both at boarding school from age 8 and then spent half of their holidays with their father as well so in a six week holiday period would spend three weeks with her.

What I don't get is the fact that they keep saying they wish people would let her 'rest in peace' but as they keep talking about her obviously they don't won't that to happen (much like their mother really - say one thing but don't really want it to happen).

Mine and your and everyone else's position regards Diana is one thing, William's and Harry's is one particular and, frankly, the one that matters. I can't blame them for not wanting people to sell stories and memories about her. There's nothing wrong in wanting to focus on the good and letting the bad part go. That's what we all should do, the difference is that you and I can do it privately, they can't!

and also "much like their mother really - say one thing but don't really want it to happen" only their mother? :cool: I didn't think so......

I believe she heavily influenced both her sons and the BRF on charity work and getting down in the nitty gritty with people and living a 'real' life....She took them to McDonalds, both Charles and Queen wouldn't do that for sure, yes they influenced his 'royal' up bringing and knowledge greatly but Diana was a huge influence on their 'normalcy' and the idea that to whom much is given, much is asked and they should give back .....it's a combo....you most certainly can not discount the impact a mother had on her sons and account it solely to his father and grandmother .....

And to be fair, maybe she could have done more ( by your standards) had she lived longer to influence him..,.

Well said. Her impact on her sons will always remain with them.

No one is doubting the impact - for good and bad - of Diana on her sons but...

they are the ones that keep commenting on her and thus encourage the press to write stories that sell.

The princes can't have it both ways - yes she will always be part of them but if they want her to be left in peace then it has to start with them. Until they do so publicly e.g. the press asks something like 'what do you think your mother would think about xxx?' a reply like 'that is know a private matter we know longer wish to discuss publicly' will get the message across rather than 'she would be so happy/proud etc' that just continues to feed the press and public. They have to take the lead but as they won't do so they can't complain when other also continue to write about her and make money off her as they feed that money making themselves with their comments.

As I see it, allowing Diana to "rest in peace" means to allow the difficult parts of her personality and story rest and not to be trying to dig up more muck about the lady. I don't think that it means that we should forget the person entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom