Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree. Getting involved with them was one of the worst decisions of her life. I don't believe that she ever found what she wanted--unconditional love (except from her children) and inner peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that her getting mixed up with the Fayed's is evidence that she hadn't sorted out her life at all but was still seeking something.
I believe, after reading Tina Brown's "The Diana Chronicles" she was on her way to finding what she sought. And by no means take this as Russo being in the "Diana camp" as she certainly is not. (Russo even wrote to Prince Charles when the whole Dimbleby -Squidgygate-Camillagate mess came out giving her support to HRH and his private secretary wrote back and Russo cannot find the letter!! :mad:)
It wasn't unusual for Diana to hang out with the Fayed's. They were family friends from way back and Raine Spencer (I've heard she's reverted back to that name after her divorce from the Count) still works for the man (Mo Fayed). That she got involved with Dodi--I believe he was just a summer diversion, until she could move into a more Goodwill Ambassadorship role. Don't forget a lot of countries outlawed land mines after the Princesses' death. There was good done there.
And the concert her boys gave in her honor netted a lot of money for charity for good to be done as well.

As someone who had a relative dying of AIDS at the time, when Diana held the hand of an AIDS patient at a time when they were social pariahs, it really made a difference in how others reacted to those afflicted. That and her landmines work changed the world, IMO.

Whatever is said about Diana and her legacy, her immediate and lasting impact in humanising those with HIV/AIDS cannot be denied.

Yes, I agree. Also her actions in touching people with leprosy and walking through a mindfield. These were all courageous things.:flowers:

Whatever is said about Diana and her legacy, her immediate and lasting impact in humanising those with HIV/AIDS cannot be denied.

As to acceptance of people with HIV/AIDS, I'm not sure that we "ordinary" people have moved on sufficiently, compared with Diana's example.
And one could say almost the same about our attitude towards homeless people.
At least Prince William has tried to highlight this cause by sleeping rough on a cold London night.

I believe acceptance of HIV/AIDS person is better now, then in the 80's; because of Diana, Princess of Wales and HIV/AIDS awareness.

Public awareness about the homeless was highlighted this winter by Prince William. To me this shows the most important lasting legacy of Princess Diana - her sons and their actions to help her causes go on.:);):)

Yes, very definitely. With one handshake without gloves, she demonstrated to the world that it was quite OK to touch someone who is HIV positive.

It is time for Princess Diana to take her place in history | Life & Style (27/04/2010).:)

Almost 13 years after her death, Diana's apartment, which still belongs to the Royal Household, is used as office space and, she says, “while Diana remains a very important part of the history of the palace, she's no longer part of contemporary culture. It's time for her to take her place in the gallery, alongside all the others.” Worsley believes Princess Diana is yesterday's woman, no longer considered a sufficient draw to merit her own exhibition space.

It is time for Princess Diana to take her place in history | Life & Style (27/04/2010).:)Worsley believes Princess Diana is yesterday's woman, no longer considered a sufficient draw to merit her own exhibition space.

Well maybe in Great Britain with an exhibit of other famous royals and Princess Diana it would draw more people. But here in America, Diana, Princess of Wales exhibit is still in demand. I can not wait till the Princess Diana exhibit this November in my hometown.:flowers:

Yes, very definitely. With one handshake without gloves, she demonstrated to the world that it was quite OK to touch someone who is HIV positive.
Also for those that had leprosy. Diana was always willing to be kind to those that were isolated and cast aside. Or those blown up. Not a bad thing in life, especially if one considers themselves a Christian or wants to be head of a Church.

Well maybe in Great Britain with an exhibit of other famous royals and Princess Diana it would draw more people. But here in America, Diana, Princess of Wales exhibit is still in demand. I can not wait till the Princess Diana exhibit this November in my hometown.:flowers:

I agree I'm waiting for the exhibit to come to New York.

Camilla Fayed 'to honour Princess Diana'
http://www.zeenews.com/news627068.html

The 25-year-old daughter of Mohamed Al Fayed is backing a fundraising campaign for Diana's school -- the New School at West Heath in Kent where the Princess was a pupil until the age of 16, the 'Sunday Express' reported.
Camilla works full-time as an ambassador for the Al Fayed Foundation which raises millions for charity every year.
Her latest project is Lawnfest, a music and arts fundraiser on June 11 which hopes to create four new bursaries at the school for vulnerable children.

Diana is often referred to as "an iconic figure". I wish someone would define what that phrase is supposed to mean.

When Diana died in tragic circumstances, there was an understandable amount of grief and loss, and the nation was quick to respond to it - The British people at their best, I think.

I'm certain that her legacy will endure. There are already clear signs that that will be the case, for instance the temperament and behaviour of Prince William whom she took with her to cardboard city at night to teach him some of her values.

What is left for me, is a memory of a person who (ignoring any personal challenges) did a lot of charitable work, brought the issue of land mines to the world stage and in some way forcing the issue to be dealt with by 'unmovable' governments.

Diana also leaves the memory of someone who showed her sons that there is a life beyond what may be termed loosely as 'privilege' - showing them that there are vast swathes of people who need an extra level of care and attention, be that medically or through social justice.

I hope I am not the only one who feels this, but there is a lasting sense (after all these years) of pain and distress that her life was cut short to sadly. For me at least, she left a gap which has never been replaced.

Well said, Northerner72. Welcome to TRF!

northerner72. Your above words are so the way I feel about the people's princess. For me too she left A GAP WHICH I DON'T THINK WILL BE REPLACED.:sad:

Amen northerner72!!

I would also add in there those all important photos of Diana shaking hands w/AIDS sufferers w/out wearing gloves. In this day and age of AIDS education, we forget just how earth shattering those pictures were at the time. Those pictures did more for AIDS Awareness than any multi million dollar campaign.

My Aunt was paying us a visit last summer when she saw one of my Diana books out. A friend of ours had been here earlier and I was showing her the picture of Diana that my doll is based on and I didn't get a chance to put the book away. My Aunt started leafing through it and, I quote, said...

Poor Princess Diana. No one ever remembers her anymore...

Apparently, my face was quite the picture and not one you'd want to see. I'm also amazed I still have a tongue in my head after that moment as well.

She will never be forgotten. No one who does the amount of good that she did will ever be forgotten.

Part of her legacy will be that she could relate to the average person. She wanted her sons to be able to relate or interact with others who were not royal. The people's princess was a good name for her.

If I saw her on the street and she came up to me and talked to me, I will feel at ease talking to her. This would be like talking to an old friend. She had this affect on people. This would not be true if it were other royals who were a lot more formal about things like that.

When she talked about being lonely, it hit a nerve with me. I understand what it's like to be or feel lonely in school. However, I had family members that I could talk to if I felt this way. She didn't seem to have this and I doubt she expressed these feelings to her family or perhaps anyone else until later in her life.

I agree with everyone here. I never thought her life was a tragedy I felt that it was just her death. She had many highs and many lows. Yes, she suffered from self esteem issues, depression, and had a horrible marriage. But she had two beautiful kids, been to many beautiful places, and met a lot of people. That's not a tragic life to me. Diana will hardly be forgotten. She's always referenced in tv shows that I watch recently in Glee and Shameless.

I'm quite sad when I write this -
I know so much about her so I don't think I would have liked to meet her beyong meetings on charity occasion. I don't think I would have liked to be a friend of her because I don't think she knew what being a friend actually meant.

But still I feel something whenever I see a picture of the young or older Diana, when she smiled the sun began to shine, even if it rained. She really had an aura.

She was something sooo wonderful viewed from the outside and such a bag of plagues (please, accept my apologies for using this expression used for a loved, but very, very difficult member of the family...:flowers:) when you came closer.

I think Diana was like any other normal human being with flaws. You either liked her or you didn't. There is nothing wrong with that.

How many of us know someone who is a VERY good friend with a friend of yours...but for some reason, you are not friends with them? Other than being friendly bcause you have a common friend? There is something about them that turns you off?

Diana's legacy will be her children, and her work with her charities including AIDS and Land Mines. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters to me.

... Diana will hardly be forgotten...

As the risk of being pilloried, I still think about Diana every day, even though it has been almost 14 years since Diana's death.

I do wonder, sometimes, if there are many left who still think as much of Diana now as they did when Diana was alive.

Although it's 14 years, to me at least, it still doesn't seem like last year. Diana's memory and the memories of that terrible week are still as fresh in my mind.

As do I. My feelings about Diana are complex, as she was. She had such a promising start and showed such great ability, but I think that the pressures she was under--including the problems in her marriage and with the paparazzi--brought out the worst in her. When she forgot about her problems and was doing good work for other people, she was at her best IMO.

As the risk of being pilloried, I still think about Diana every day, even though it has been almost 14 years since Diana's death.

As do I. My feelings about Diana are complex, as she was. She had such a promising start and showed such great ability, but I think that the pressures she was under--including the problems in her marriage and with the paparazzi--brought out the worst in her. When she forgot about her problems and was doing good work for other people, she was at her best IMO.

For me, the whole situation is sad, sad, sad.

Diana died in a most horrific manner, at such an early age.

I've still not found anyone like Diana to look up to, respect, in the 'public eye', after all these years.

Something, maybe a feeling or an emotion of a care for others or a concern for peoples general welfare and caring for the 'underdog' died with Diana, and I don't expect it to be replaced in my lifetime.

There are still many, many people who give a lot of time to helping people who are ill or shut-in at home or disadvantaged children; and they do it, not for money or for reputation, but because they care about their neighbours and community members and young people.

Something, maybe a feeling or an emotion of a care for others or a concern for peoples general welfare and caring for the 'underdog' died with Diana, and I don't expect it to be replaced in my lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom