The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-17-2020, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I think nobody said the contrary, again they knew her better than all of us and she will be forever in their heart and mind. That's said , they can cherish the memory of their late mother and still love their father and have some level of affection for their stepmother.

It's not incompatible , but some people (and by that i'm not referring to you in particular) have certainly some issues with that.

Yes Nico it is odd and rather sad how some people do have issues with the fact that Camilla has a relationship with her step-grandchilden. I believe that it is important to remember that William and Harry had their relationships with both their Spencer biological and step-grandparents. So this is something that they're familiar with on a personal level. Now that they have their own children, the families will figure out how to refer to their respective biological grandparents: Mike/Carole/Charles/ Doria/(maybe Thomas one day) and how to address Camilla. Millions of people around the world have blended families and IMO a significant number of them have cordial and even loving relationships with their biological and step relatives.

On a different note I believe that "Finding Freedom" is part of Diana's legacy. IMO had Diana not cooperated with Andrew Morton's "Diana In Her Own Words" that we would not have seen the Sussexes' involvement in "Finding Freedom."

Old 12-17-2020, 01:24 PM
Aristocracy

I hope COVID is gone by the time of the statue dedication.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I think nobody said the contrary, again they knew her better than all of us and she will be forever in their heart and mind. That's said , they can cherish the memory of their late mother and still love their father and have some level of affection for their stepmother.

It's not incompatible , but some people (and by that i'm not referring to you in particular) have certainly some issues with that.
Yeah, I don’t understand that response, as if people can only have a limited amount of love in their heart. William is doing his best - and a wonderful job of it, I’m sure - of making sure his kids know who their grandmum was and how much she would have loved them. No one can replace her, but Camilla is a warm, wonderful woman who I have no doubt loves George, Charlotte and Louis. When the kids see her, they don’t see a woman that many have vilified, they see someone who loves them and probably plays with them.

I think many people are selfish in that they don’t want William, Harry and/or their kids to care about Camilla because Diana is gone- and because they feel that way, they assume Diana’s sons and grandchildren feel the same way.

TLLK:

Beautifully said. I AM one of those who comes from a blended family, and I can promise you that family is not defined by blood or blood alone. We have half and step-siblings, but we are all brothers and sisters - no one ever refers to each other as half or step. My father and mother both had kids from previous marriages, and they have excellent relationships with their “steps”. Neither of my parents consider any grandchild a “Step-grandchild”.

Quote:
Yes Nico it is odd and rather sad how some people do have issues with the fact that Camilla has a relationship with her step-grandchilden. I believe that it is important to remember that William and Harry had their relationships with both their Spencer biological and step-grandparents. So this is something that they're familiar with on a personal level. Now that they have their own children, the families will figure out how to refer to their respective biological grandparents: Mike/Carole/Charles/ Doria/(maybe Thomas one day) and how to address Camilla. Millions of people around the world have blended families and IMO a significant number of them have cordial and even loving relationships with their biological and step relatives.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Gentry

You only had to watch any Youtube videos that mention Camilla, and you would find at least ten insults directed at her by Diana's ardent fans.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I hope COVID is gone by the time of the statue dedication.

I so agree and I hope that we'll be on our way to being mostly COVID free by early July 2021. However I have seen forecasts that a more realistic timeline might be Fall 2021 considering how many people around the globe will need to be vaccinated.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
You only had to watch any Youtube videos that mention Camilla, and you would find at least ten insults directed at her by Diana's ardent fans.
Much more than 10. I think that the Crown has roused up a lot of hostility to Camilla and Charles.. though I suspect its moslty non British...
Old 12-22-2020, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Much more than 10. I think that the Crown has roused up a lot of hostility to Camilla and Charles.. though I suspect its moslty non British...
I doubt it was Americans who were foaming at the mouth about Camilla being called Queen...

LaRae
Old 12-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Denville why do you suspect that the hostility is coming from those outside the UK?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:56 PM
Majesty

I'm not Denville, obviously, but IMO there is still a great deal of resentment in the UK towards Charles and Camilla that doesn't have much to do with watching The Crown, though it might stir up old feelings towards the couple for some.

Much of the support for Diana during her lifetime IMO came from British women of the same age who had young children as she did and some had difficult marriages which helped them identity with her. Of course men in the UK loved her as well. When you see videos of her funeral many men are seen to be as upset as their women folk.

Diana drew huge crowds for her engagements wherever she appeared in Britain. These events occurred more than in the Commonwealth, where she was also extremely popular, and far more than in the US and other countries. After Diana died in her 30s there was a feeling in the UK population of the unfairness of a life cut short while those who had done her wrong lived on. And IMO again, that has been reflected in the opinion polls (taken among UK residents) for the woman who became Charles's second wife.

I believe that many of those who watched this season of The Crown are young, that is under 30 year olds who are seeing aspects of Diana and Charles's married life for the first time, and instinctively are sympathetic to Diana. Many might be Americans, I don't know, and certainly a great many who are on Twitter and discuss this series probably are. But don't discount the huge number of British people of middle age and younger who've been watching, either.

And in case some here think I don't know what I'm talking about, I was born and brought up in England, have large numbers of friends and family who still live there.

I was also in England a lot in the 1980s and '90s, and, perhaps more to the point, I was there when Diana died, was among the crowds before and after Diana was buried and heard what British people were saying in those crowds about certain royals.

Memories often die hard, and I don't think feelings about Diana and Charles and Camilla can all be attributed to watching The Crown and to its American and foreign viewers by any means.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Unfortunately Diana was still the young, beautiful, shiny stage when she died.

When people die young, they often grow in beauty and Saintly attributes in people's minds as time goes on. The bad aspects of her slip far away. And lets be honest here, Diana did have many bad aspects. She wasn't the innocent victim in the marriage she was often portrayed as. She had her own affairs, and things like airing dirty laundry in a tv interview.

Had Diana lived longer, and possibly remarried, things would have been much better for Charles and Camilla. People would have eventually moved on.

Unfortunately Diana will always be the 'Queen of hearts spurned by her horrid husband, dying young before she ever could find real love again'.

Really is time for people to move on from this narrative.

Sad thing is the Crown did show some of Diana's bad side like one of her affairs. But it was so white washed over, that most people dont even bother to notice it. All focus is on Charles and his actions again.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:37 PM
Majesty

Yes, but the question TLLK was asking (of Denville) was why she felt that much of the hostility towards Charles (and Camilla) was coming from outside the UK, and I was trying to explain why IMO I don't think it is mostly Americans or Commonwealth citizens or other foreigners who are the ones feeling that.

IMO there is a large proportion of UK citizens who will never accept Camilla and don't warm to Charles, and that, iin my view, comes mainly from what happened in Charles's first marriage. It is the British who feel that way, not overwhelming numbers of Americans etc.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

Given that Charles and Camilla always poll very badly, I think thatís a good point, Curry. However, I done think polls ever reflect the entirety of a population, which is why I donít like them. When these to make appearances, fortunately (pre-pandemic) they attracted only those who support them. If people want to hate them inside their own homes, so be it. Charles has lived with being the villain in the publicís eye for a long time; at this point, Iím sure that his sonsí support is the only thing that matters
Old 12-28-2020, 04:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Denville why do you suspect that the hostility is coming from those outside the UK?
I dont know for sure.. but from comments I've seen on Youtube, the level of well lack of knowledge about the RF etc, (which is mind boggling) is such that Im kind of assuming that a lot of the nay sayers on Social media, who still have it in for Charles and Camilla, are not British...
In the past year I've watched some of the documentaries about Charles and Royal life that I missed years ago, and they are usually pretty skewed towards the Diana POV.. so I'd kind of expect Americans to be more likely to sympathise with her rather than sympathize with Charles.
However perhaps Im wrong and there are lots of British who have virtually no knowledge of royal history, etc who take an interest in the RF and who support Diana rather than Charles....
Old 12-28-2020, 05:14 AM
Serene Highness

Nearly a quarter of a century after her death; I thought all her jewellery was to be divided among her son's wives. But instead, it has all just been hidden away in boxes under lock and key. Such a shame. It didn't all belong to the Queen.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
Nearly a quarter of a century after her death; I thought all her jewellery was to be divided among her son's wives. But instead, it has all just been hidden away in boxes under lock and key. Such a shame. It didn't all belong to the Queen.
whatever jewellery Diana had that was borrowed from the queen was returned after she died. the rest of her jewellery, like all her property was left to her sons.. so if they don't want to use it, that's their choice. Some of it is worn by Kate and Meghan.. if they don't want to use all her jewellery, that's up to them
Old 12-28-2020, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
What makes you think Diana's jewellery was not divided between his wives? Just because they have chosen to not wear most of it does not mean that it has not ended up with the boys. Actually, both daughters-in-law have been seen wearing jewellery from Diana's collection.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
What makes you think Diana's jewellery was not divided between his wives? Just because they have chosen to not wear most of it does not mean that it has not ended up with the boys. Actually, both daughters-in-law have been seen wearing jewellery from Diana's collection.
Yes of course it was divided. She left all her property to her sons, so it belongs to them.. I think that neither daughter in law greatly likes Di's jewellery, so apart from a few items most of it probably is sitting in a box.. or maybe its been sold
Old 12-28-2020, 07:01 AM
Courtier

A lot of Diana's jewellery was "of its time" and doesn't necessarily suit her daughters-in-laws' tastes when they have large collections of their own.

They also might be very careful about using it for everyday wear, imagine if they lost an earing or damaged a bracelet?

Lots of people's inherited and/or special jewellery is lovingly kept safe and not actually worn very often.

As for Charles and Camilla, I think there's a certain section of British society that will never accept her and The Crown has certainly stirred that up but also I agree with Denville that a lot of SM comments come from people who don't live in Britain, as do a large number of comments on the RF in general.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Majesty

I think that Meghan and Kate are both not that keen on big jewellery so unless they remodel Diana's ornaments they may not find them to their taste.. and Megs' not working as a royal any more so I dont see her as likely to wear big jewellery.
Yes of course, there are people in the UK who don't like Charles and Camilla.. there are people who don't like any of the royals etc etc. But I think that the remarks on some of the social media show a COMPLETE lack of knowledge about the RF.. so I am kind of guessing that they are more likely to be Americans than British.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think that Meghan and Kate are both not that keen on big jewellery so unless they remodel Diana's ornaments they may not find them to their taste.. and Megs' not working as a royal any more so I dont see her as likely to wear big jewellery.
Yes of course, there are people in the UK who don't like Charles and Camilla.. there are people who don't like any of the royals etc etc. But I think that the remarks on some of the social media show a COMPLETE lack of knowledge about the RF.. so I am kind of guessing that they are more likely to be Americans than British.
When I read the comments under American celebrity reporting Youtube channels (Clevver News, Entertainment Tonight, HollywoodWire, E! News, Hollywire etc.), I don't think the presenter/reporter nor people making the comments have comprehensive understanding of the Royal Family. This was when they are reporting about Harry and Meghan. Whilst the presenters/reporters are mostly Americans, I do not know the general percentages of nationalities of the people making the comments. Most of the comments that I have read were very pro-Diana & pro-Sussexes and pretty much against the Royal Family in general not just Charles & Camilla.

I do notice that with these celebrities/entertainment channels, most of them were not reporting on The British Royal Family until Meghan arrived on the scene. To some, this could be an indication that their producers and presenters have lack of knowledge on The Royal Family. Another evidence to support "this claim" included that these channels presented the topics in a "celebrity-like" manner and most of the topics were on Harry & Meghan and Diana (particularly with The Crown)

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana