The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2020, 10:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think it should just be William, Harry, Jane, Sarah and Charles S.

But looking at Concert for Diana where Harry had Chelsy and the Davy family front and center next to him, I can see Harry insisting on bringing Meghan and Doria.

Just like the Concert, I think William will have Catherine and the Middletons more in the background, maybe they'll visit once the photographer leaves, as he'll try to keep the focus on his mother.

After the unveiling, the larger extended family might gather for an unofficial 60th birthday party for Diana as they reminisce.

I don't expect the grandchildren to attend simply because children under 10 normally don't attend public ceremonies like that in the UK. It is not the British custom, I think. Besides it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to attend as they never knew Diana and have no personal connection to her (and neither do Kate or Meghan for that matter).

I agree it should be just William, Harry, and Diana's siblings, but it would be nice if the Prince of Wales also attended, not only in a personal capacity as Diana's ex-husband and father to her children, but also officially representing the Queen. I don't think William counts as the Queen's representative in that case because he will be attending as Diana's son more so than as the Duke of Cambridge and second in line to the throne.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see the queen needing a representative. Diana has been dead for 23 years. There is no need for the queen to be involved or for her to have an official representative at it either. Diana was a private citizen when she died, and her sons will be more then enough royal representative there.

I also don't see any need for Charles to attend this. While he certainly would respect her memory, it has been 2 decades. Life has moved on for him and most of the world. Its not the early years after her death when the grief would be fresh, and her sons would need him there. Now if this was something like the 20th anniversary, him attending I'd say maybe.

I see nothing wrong with the wives being there and supporting their husbands. And that goes for all spouses, like Jane, Sarah and Charles' spouses as well. Unlike Charles, they are family of Diana even if some entered after she died (Sarah and Jane's husbands knew her).

Seating at a concert is certainly different then attending an unveiling.

Kate may have not sat with William but she caused just as much a stir. Her and William were not officially back together yet from their split in the spring. Her being there with her family certainly caused a lot of talk. If William thought having her not sit next to him would slow the talk, he was definitely mistaken about that.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would definitely expect Diana's grandchildren to be there. Both Diana's sons want their children to know about and love the grandmother Diana would have been if she had lived.

Diana's immediate relatives are the only ones I expect to be there. Siblings, her sons, the grandchildren. I predict it'll be a small "family" affair rather than some grand public spectacle or anything on a note of being "official" such as representation of the Queen.

As stated, its been 23 years since Diana died and the the world has moved on for the most part.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Commoner

It will be a day of celebration and remembrance...and I would think it would be interesting and fun for anyone to attend. Put old grudges in the past and move on with the times, this was the problem with the 'old school' monarchy. Let the children have fun and maybe take the time to explain to them about Princess Diana and what she meant to millions of people all over the world. Like her or not her life made a difference to thousands of people. She is in the history books.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
It will be a day of celebration and remembrance...and I would think it would be interesting and fun for anyone to attend. Put old grudges in the past and move on with the times, this was the problem with the 'old school' monarchy. Let the children have fun and maybe take the time to explain to them about Princess Diana and what she meant to millions of people all over the world. Like her or not her life made a difference to thousands of people. She is in the history books.
I dont think it will be a "fun" occasion, rather a solemn sad one and I think the kids are rather young for it as yet. But Di's sons, siblings and daughters in law should be there.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Aristocracy

I would hope the grandchildren go. I think that would be appropriate. They would perhaps want the memories later in life of honoring their grandmother.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont think it will be a "fun" occasion, rather a solemn sad one and I think the kids are rather young for it as yet. But Di's sons, siblings and daughters in law should be there.

Honestly I believe it will be a mix of happy and solemn memories of Diana. Naturally I expect her sons, daughters-in-law, siblings and a couple of close friends to be present.

I believe that by July 2021 George and Charlotte will certainly old enough to be present at the unveiling. As for Louis and Archie who by then will be three and two respectively, it will depend upon their attention span. As long as it's not too long and there's an adult ready to whisk them away if needed, one or both might be able to be present.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:36 AM
Courtier

I hope they do go. It would be lovely to see all of Diana's descendants together
Old 09-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Commoner

I just don't envision a birthday celebration as sad and solemn like a funeral. When it comes to Diana I immediately have a feeling of sadness, but that is me personally. I would enjoy going to a celebration in hopes it would be intentionally upbeat and fun. The great hope is by July 2021 this covid will be history.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:13 PM
Aristocracy

July 2021,the celebrations for the late POW Diana, should be more a celebration of her life, then a sad memory of her untimely death. And focus on all the lives she touched and changed for the better, at least gave it a try. Put no focus of what could be if she was still alive,but what she was able to change in the short time she was allowed to be the Peoples Princess. Let her RIP.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana