The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2241  
Old 08-31-2020, 11:21 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I think it should just be William, Harry, Jane, Sarah and Charles S.

But looking at Concert for Diana where Harry had Chelsy and the Davy family front and center next to him, I can see Harry insisting on bringing Meghan and Doria.

Just like the Concert, I think William will have Catherine and the Middletons more in the background, maybe they'll visit once the photographer leaves, as he'll try to keep the focus on his mother.

After the unveiling, the larger extended family might gather for an unofficial 60th birthday party for Diana as they reminisce.

I don't expect the grandchildren to attend simply because children under 10 normally don't attend public ceremonies like that in the UK. It is not the British custom, I think. Besides it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to attend as they never knew Diana and have no personal connection to her (and neither do Kate or Meghan for that matter).

I agree it should be just William, Harry, and Diana's siblings, but it would be nice if the Prince of Wales also attended, not only in a personal capacity as Diana's ex-husband and father to her children, but also officially representing the Queen. I don't think William counts as the Queen's representative in that case because he will be attending as Diana's son more so than as the Duke of Cambridge and second in line to the throne.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2242  
Old 09-01-2020, 02:01 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,744
I don't see the queen needing a representative. Diana has been dead for 23 years. There is no need for the queen to be involved or for her to have an official representative at it either. Diana was a private citizen when she died, and her sons will be more then enough royal representative there.

I also don't see any need for Charles to attend this. While he certainly would respect her memory, it has been 2 decades. Life has moved on for him and most of the world. Its not the early years after her death when the grief would be fresh, and her sons would need him there. Now if this was something like the 20th anniversary, him attending I'd say maybe.

I see nothing wrong with the wives being there and supporting their husbands. And that goes for all spouses, like Jane, Sarah and Charles' spouses as well. Unlike Charles, they are family of Diana even if some entered after she died (Sarah and Jane's husbands knew her).


Seating at a concert is certainly different then attending an unveiling.


Kate may have not sat with William but she caused just as much a stir. Her and William were not officially back together yet from their split in the spring. Her being there with her family certainly caused a lot of talk. If William thought having her not sit next to him would slow the talk, he was definitely mistaken about that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2243  
Old 09-01-2020, 02:18 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,808
I would definitely expect Diana's grandchildren to be there. Both Diana's sons want their children to know about and love the grandmother Diana would have been if she had lived.

Diana's immediate relatives are the only ones I expect to be there. Siblings, her sons, the grandchildren. I predict it'll be a small "family" affair rather than some grand public spectacle or anything on a note of being "official" such as representation of the Queen.

As stated, its been 23 years since Diana died and the the world has moved on for the most part.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #2244  
Old 09-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Rayal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Liberty, Missouri, United States
Posts: 76
It will be a day of celebration and remembrance...and I would think it would be interesting and fun for anyone to attend. Put old grudges in the past and move on with the times, this was the problem with the 'old school' monarchy. Let the children have fun and maybe take the time to explain to them about Princess Diana and what she meant to millions of people all over the world. Like her or not her life made a difference to thousands of people. She is in the history books.
Reply With Quote
  #2245  
Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
It will be a day of celebration and remembrance...and I would think it would be interesting and fun for anyone to attend. Put old grudges in the past and move on with the times, this was the problem with the 'old school' monarchy. Let the children have fun and maybe take the time to explain to them about Princess Diana and what she meant to millions of people all over the world. Like her or not her life made a difference to thousands of people. She is in the history books.
I dont think it will be a "fun" occasion, rather a solemn sad one and I think the kids are rather young for it as yet. But Di's sons, siblings and daughters in law should be there.
Reply With Quote
  #2246  
Old 09-16-2020, 11:41 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 293
I would hope the grandchildren go. I think that would be appropriate. They would perhaps want the memories later in life of honoring their grandmother.
Reply With Quote
  #2247  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 4,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont think it will be a "fun" occasion, rather a solemn sad one and I think the kids are rather young for it as yet. But Di's sons, siblings and daughters in law should be there.

Honestly I believe it will be a mix of happy and solemn memories of Diana. Naturally I expect her sons, daughters-in-law, siblings and a couple of close friends to be present.



I believe that by July 2021 George and Charlotte will certainly old enough to be present at the unveiling. As for Louis and Archie who by then will be three and two respectively, it will depend upon their attention span. As long as it's not too long and there's an adult ready to whisk them away if needed, one or both might be able to be present.
Reply With Quote
  #2248  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:36 PM
csw csw is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Columbus, United States
Posts: 560
I hope they do go. It would be lovely to see all of Diana's descendants together
Reply With Quote
  #2249  
Old 09-24-2020, 10:48 AM
Rayal's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Liberty, Missouri, United States
Posts: 76
I just don't envision a birthday celebration as sad and solemn like a funeral. When it comes to Diana I immediately have a feeling of sadness, but that is me personally. I would enjoy going to a celebration in hopes it would be intentionally upbeat and fun. The great hope is by July 2021 this covid will be history.
Reply With Quote
  #2250  
Old 09-24-2020, 02:13 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: tacoma, United States
Posts: 586
July 2021,the celebrations for the late POW Diana, should be more a celebration of her life, then a sad memory of her untimely death. And focus on all the lives she touched and changed for the better, at least gave it a try. Put no focus of what could be if she was still alive,but what she was able to change in the short time she was allowed to be the Peoples Princess. Let her RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #2251  
Old 12-12-2020, 07:03 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 901
Victoria Arbiter has written an opinion piece on 9 News Honey arguing that Diana "would be devastated" to see her story/legacy being used to push republican/anti-monarchy agenda.

Victoria Arbiter: 'Why Diana would be devastated to see her story being hijacked'
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...e-77320c5b5591
Reply With Quote
  #2252  
Old 12-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Victoria Arbiter has written an opinion piece on 9 News Honey arguing that Diana "would be devastated" to see her story/legacy being used to push republican/anti-monarchy agenda.

Victoria Arbiter: 'Why Diana would be devastated to see her story being hijacked'
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...e-77320c5b5591
unfortunately Diana didn't really seem to see cause and effect. Her making public her disputes with the RF was one of the factors in diminishing some of the respect for the institution.. She claimed that she didn't want to get rid of the monarchy because her son was the future king - but she publicized her problems not only with her husband but showed a certain distancing from the whole RF.. and that did cuase problems for the institution. It took some years for that respect to come back, and its not quite the same...
Reply With Quote
  #2253  
Old 12-12-2020, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Victoria Arbiter has written an opinion piece on 9 News Honey arguing that Diana "would be devastated" to see her story/legacy being used to push republican/anti-monarchy agenda.

Victoria Arbiter: 'Why Diana would be devastated to see her story being hijacked'
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...e-77320c5b5591
I thought it was a fantastic article, like everything she writes. Iíve never been a fan of people speaking for others, and itís even worse when one person is dead and canít refute anything. It seems like many people want to believe that Diana hated Charles, that they never mended and actually improved their relationship. They want to perpetuate the War of the Wales, perhaps b/c Charles is so happy & Diana never got the chance. So, they have to blame him & the BRF.
Reply With Quote
  #2254  
Old 12-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,718
I dont think their relationship had time to heal up at all. I think that Diana did cool down on criticizing Charles after a time because she was savvy enough to realise that the public were getting fed up with the War of the Waleses and that for her to go on being negative would damage her popularity... but Sarah Bradford one of Dis' biographers said that "Diana pretended she didn't mind Camilla and Charles moving on, but she did really." I think that Diana was still very mixed up emotionally and had not gotten over her troubles with Charles and the RF but she was smart enough not to go on about them all the time. And I think that Charles too was still somewhat alienated from her and not anywhere near a stage of "being friends again."
Reply With Quote
  #2255  
Old 12-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,950
Deleted post
Reply With Quote
  #2256  
Old 12-12-2020, 01:34 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont think their relationship had time to heal up at all. I think that Diana did cool down on criticizing Charles after a time because she was savvy enough to realise that the public were getting fed up with the War of the Waleses and that for her to go on being negative would damage her popularity... but Sarah Bradford one of Dis' biographers said that "Diana pretended she didn't mind Camilla and Charles moving on, but she did really." I think that Diana was still very mixed up emotionally and had not gotten over her troubles with Charles and the RF but she was smart enough not to go on about them all the time. And I think that Charles too was still somewhat alienated from her and not anywhere near a stage of "being friends again."
Tina Brown said somewhat the opposite. Maybe she was still a bit mixed up, but at least she was not vindicative toward Charles anymore and they met regularly for tea ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...les-heartbeat/
Reply With Quote
  #2257  
Old 12-12-2020, 01:58 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Tina Brown said somewhat the opposite. Maybe she was still a bit mixed up, but at least she was not vindicative toward Charles anymore and they met regularly for tea ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...les-heartbeat/
dont know if they met regularly.. I think he called in once or twice.. but the point was that Diana was still embroiled with him.. She half longed for him to come back.. but would she have really wanted him popping in and then going home to Camilla? What would have happened if he'd wanted to remarry? Diana hadn't reached a stage where she could put the marriage in the past and have a civilised friendship....She dated other men, yet I think if Charles had asked her, she would have gone back.. but he was never going to ask her..
what about the inevitable moment when he siad that he wanted the boys to meet Camilla?
Reply With Quote
  #2258  
Old 12-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
dont know if they met regularly.. I think he called in once or twice.. but the point was that Diana was still embroiled with him.. She half longed for him to come back.. but would she have really wanted him popping in and then going home to Camilla? What would have happened if he'd wanted to remarry? Diana hadn't reached a stage where she could put the marriage in the past and have a civilised friendship....She dated other men, yet I think if Charles had asked her, she would have gone back.. but he was never going to ask her..
what about the inevitable moment when he siad that he wanted the boys to meet Camilla?
We can agree that, by 1997, the work was still in progress, and progresses were indeed made. Some projects were allegedly made about a get together trip onboard "Britannia" for the Hong-Kong handover.
I don't know if they were friends, but at least they had their parents' role at heart and could have a civilized meeting/ chit chat. God knows it was not the case some years prior.
Reply With Quote
  #2259  
Old 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,950
Deleted post
Reply With Quote
  #2260  
Old 12-12-2020, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Tina Brown said somewhat the opposite. Maybe she was still a bit mixed up, but at least she was not vindicative toward Charles anymore and they met regularly for tea ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...les-heartbeat/
I read that awhile ago - she actually said the complete opposite, and she didnít sound mixed up at all to me. Plus, Iíve read many reports saying the same thing - and Victoria Arbiter emphasized it, not just in her article, but on tweets. Whether people believe it, thatís up to them.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Grace's Legacy HMTLove23 Princely Family of Monaco 199 02-18-2021 02:54 PM
Left Or Right-Handed Royals? Peggy Royal Life and Lifestyle 49 02-03-2016 02:34 AM
The Legacy of Elizabeth II vkrish Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 21 12-18-2012 07:45 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry baby names baptism biography british royal family brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing countess of snowdon cpr daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style games general news thread george vi hypothetical monarchs imperial household intro italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery kids movie list of rulers luxembourg maxima mountbatten names nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee pless prince constantijn prince dimitri prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess eugenie princess ribha queen louise queen maxima random facts resusci anne royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon spain speech suthida united states united states of america videos wedding gown wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×