The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2020, 04:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
It seems to me it was not given the proper time for plan it. I think the blueprint for the one decided on should have been rejected and others be considered.
Why do you say that? Its over 20 years since Diana died.. teh Garden isn't soemthing that was rushed into a year or two after her death. I haven't been to see it but it may look better now than it did after it was first opened.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Aristocracy

The plan supposedly was not good but they went along with it anyone. It had a lot of structural problems once it was built that had to be corrected. Maybe the problems could have been avoided if the planning was done more carefully.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why do you say that? Its over 20 years since Diana died.. teh Garden isn't soemthing that was rushed into a year or two after her death. I haven't been to see it but it may look better now than it did after it was first opened.
I saw it in 2017 and IMO it was lovely. Despite its issues at the onset, I've always thought that it was a beautiful tribute to Diana.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I saw it in 2017 and IMO it was lovely. Despite its issues at the onset, I've always thought that it was a beautiful tribute to Diana.
That's the garden? I only have seen pictures of it, and I didn't like the first ones I saw. But its been over 20 years since Diana died so whoever planned it had plenty of time...
Old 08-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

They are unveiling the statue next year on her birthday.

https://twitter.com/byqueenvic/statu...449674244?s=21

Would be a lovely image to have both sons and grandchildren there but we shall see how it plays out.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

Would be a lovely image to have both sons and grandchildren there but we shall see how it plays out.
For something like this, I can see no reason whatsoever that anyone in Diana's family would *not* be there for this.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:12 PM
Aristocracy

I imagine Diana's sons, daughters in law, grandchildren, her sisters, her brother, and her nieces and nephews will all be there. Plus her friends like Carolyn Bartholomew and Rosa Monckton.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:26 PM
Majesty

I hope and expect that Diana's godchildren will be present too. It has seemed so long since this plan for a statue was first mooted and now we have a firm date. Can't wait to see what this statue looks like, and I hope it will be kept clean for visitors, not left smattered with bird droppings etc as so many city statues are.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:33 PM
Gentry

Well one daughter in law might be there. Imo only Diana’s sons and siblings should go. I don’t see why there should be such a big group there for this Was there a big group that attended the other unveiling. It should only be the main players. Anyone else would be a distraction.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I expect that besides her sons and their families that we'll see her sisters and brother present along with anyone else on the committee.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:21 PM
Majesty

The Culture Secretary was present at the 2004 opening of the Diana Fountain, if that is what's being asked, and Diana's ex mother in law, the Queen, unveiled it. The Spencer family was there and Prince Charles and his sons. Members of the public watched on.

BBC NEWS | UK | Queen unveils new Diana fountain
Old 08-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It was hideous and a complete waste of time and Money. I dotn know what it was meant to represent but it was a mess. So I've given up hoping for a memorial to Diana that is attractive and meaningful...

Honestly I believe that that her sons have started with "Heads Together" is IMVHO the most fitting way to remember and honor their mother who struggled with depression and bulimia.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not only Heads Together. William continuing on his work with Centrepoint and Harry being involved in HALO (I wonder if that will continue now) are Diana's sons keeping Diana's work alive and continuing. This is the *real* legacy.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

While Halo continues Diana's work, I don't think it is Harry's true tribute to her, or Headstogether. Sentebale is and always will be. And not simply because he named it in honor of her (and Seeiso's mother).

While Diana worked with land mines, and there is a link to mental health,what her fans seem to love about her was her connection to people. His work with the children whose families have been affected by AIDS is a true monument to his mother's legacy.

Mamohato 'queen of the nation' and Diana 'Princess of hearts' surely are proud of the legacy their sons have created to remember their work. Both women did great work for children, Mamohato created the Hlokomela Bana trust to work with the chiefs in Lesotho to help children with disabilities.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
While Halo continues Diana's work, I don't think it is Harry's true tribute to her, or Headstogether. Sentebale is and always will be. And not simply because he named it in honor of her (and Seeiso's mother).

While Diana worked with land mines, and there is a link to mental health,what her fans seem to love about her was her connection to people. His work with the children whose families have been affected by AIDS is a true monument to his mother's legacy.

Mamohato 'queen of the nation' and Diana 'Princess of hearts' surely are proud of the legacy their sons have created to remember their work. Both women did great work for children, Mamohato created the Hlokomela Bana trust to work with the chiefs in Lesotho to help children with disabilities.
Oh you're absolutely correct! How could I have omitted Sentebale? Geesh.. the memory is the second thing to go.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:38 PM
Royal Highness

It's rather fitting that the delays and advent of the pandemic have led to the statue being revealed on what would have been Diana's 60th birthday!

I hope the artist's rendering turns out to be worthy of the occasion and long-lasting in its symbolism and in its sentimental value.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Commoner

I really like Home - Ian Rank-Broadley his work, and also his wife is an established artist as well.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not only Heads Together. William continuing on his work with Centrepoint and Harry being involved in HALO (I wonder if that will continue now) are Diana's sons keeping Diana's work alive and continuing. This is the *real* legacy.

Absolutely true Osipi.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

I don’t expect any of the grandchildren to attend. Her sons will obviously be there since they are the ones who commissioned the statue.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don’t expect any of the grandchildren to attend. Her sons will obviously be there since they are the ones who commissioned the statue.
I think it should just be William, Harry, Jane, Sarah and Charles S.

But looking at Concert for Diana where Harry had Chelsy and the Davy family front and center next to him, I can see Harry insisting on bringing Meghan and Doria.

Just like the Concert, I think William will have Catherine and the Middletons more in the background, maybe they'll visit once the photographer leaves, as he'll try to keep the focus on his mother.

After the unveiling, the larger extended family might gather for an unofficial 60th birthday party for Diana as they reminisce.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana