The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Gentry

It's not a good time for building statues due to the virus of course. And people are discouraged from gathering in parks.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
the statue has nothing to do iwht me, Its Willaim and Harry's project. I don't think its a great idea but its their idea and if they want to do it they will.

I agree that the brothers do want to see a stature erected in Diana's memory. It would appear that based upon their actions, they and their committee believe that the 20th anniversary of her death was the appropriate time to announce their plan for the statue. Unfortunately their projected timeline to have it created and erected was not a feasible one.

We'll just have to wait until we hear further updates on the statue.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:22 PM
Commoner

Something about bronze sculpting that does not do well for an elegant lady. It seems to make them look much older than they really are. In fact several of the different metals used in most sculptures tend to accentuate wrinkles and teeth so much that in some cases they are almost hideous looking. I'm wondering if they would possibly consider hyper-realism. They have some of the best sculptors in the world right there in London such as Ron Mueck or Duane Hanson. Of course their work would not be appropriate for outdoors, although indoors it might seem too eerie as well. Just thinking out loud...don't mind me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hype...w=1360&bih=598
Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree that the brothers do want to see a stature erected in Diana's memory. It would appear that based upon their actions, they and their committee believe that the 20th anniversary of her death was the appropriate time to announce their plan for the statue. Unfortunately their projected timeline to have it created and erected was not a feasible one.

We'll just have to wait until we hear further updates on the statue.
I wonder if it has been shelved. With harry moving away, he has a lot on his mind and with the pandemic, it isn't IMO likely to be completed any time soon...
Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I wonder if it has been shelved. With harry moving away, he has a lot on his mind and with the pandemic, it isn't IMO likely to be completed any time soon...
I'm only speculating Denville, but I'm sure by now they have been able to express to the artist Ian Rank-Broadley, of what they are wanting in the past year or so. I would think he is probably taking his own sweet time to get it right. I have checked and found no new information though....so you also could have a very valid point.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
Something about bronze sculpting that does not do well for an elegant lady. It seems to make them look much older than they really are. In fact several of the different metals used in most sculptures tend to accentuate wrinkles and teeth so much that in some cases they are almost hideous looking. I'm wondering if they would possibly consider hyper-realism. They have some of the best sculptors in the world right there in London such as Ron Mueck or Duane Hanson. Of course their work would not be appropriate for outdoors, although indoors it might seem too eerie as well. Just thinking out loud...don't mind me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hype...w=1360&bih=598

Definitely an interesting choice of sculpture, however I believe your concerns about the piece withstanding the weather is likely why they'd go for a bronze.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm only speculating Denville, but I'm sure by now they have been able to express to the artist Ian Rank-Broadley, of what they are wanting in the past year or so. I would think he is probably taking his own sweet time to get it right. I have checked and found no new information though....so you also could have a very valid point.
At the moment the artist could go on iwht his work, as far as I know, it is not something that one needs to have a lot of close contact with people to do it.. But it seems to have disappeared off the radar since last summer and of course Harry's living abroad, and even before the pandemic, it kind of feels like it was on hold/delayed. Possibly there are disagreements with the artist about how the work's turning out... or possibly with all that's been happening both before and since the Covid crisis, it just has been shelved. I just don't think a statue is right for Diana. Statues are OK for old generals, but her beauty was a vivid lifelike thing.. and a statue wont capture it...
Old 05-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thanks for naming the sculptor. I googled him and like his work, hopefully he will do Diana justice.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 AM
Gentry

I took a look at the Roll of Honour for 2019 of The Diana Award and I'm actually amazed that there are people who came from countries outside of the Commonwealth (or even from countries outside of those previously colonized by the UK) who were able to receive the award. This is just to show that Princess Diana's legacy is not just confined to countries outside the Commonwealth, or to those countries that were former UK colonies.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:48 AM
Aristocracy

Some more realism...from the past :

https://smarthistory.org/tag/ancient...ssical-period/
Old 05-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I just don't think a statue is right for Diana. Statues are OK for old generals, but her beauty was a vivid lifelike thing.. and a statue wont capture it...
Probably not.
Also, such statues tend to get graffitied if let unattended for long.

Still, if that's what her sons want, it is harmless.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Probably not.
Also, such statues tend to get graffitied if let unattended for long.

Still, if that's what her sons want, it is harmless.
true.. I woud have liked to see a memorial to her, other than things like awards.. something visual like a portrait, or even maybe a marble statue that was good...but It would have to be something indoors...
.. but its never worked out very well. Look at the Fountain, it was an awful mistake.
And W and Harry IMO have left it on the long finger for a very long time.. to do something. they are grown men now for many years...and they could have done something to memorialise her ages ago.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana