The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2020, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
am i in the minority in that i don't think she should have a statue?
I agree. What is her legacy anyway, the topic of this thread? In the ultimate end she damaged the monarchy, her son William has limited charisma, Catherine (wisely) has no any intention to be a Diana-type of royal, and her son Harry now has decided to continue the damaging work on the monarchy his late mother started.

Note: Charles and Camilla are now longer married than Charles and Diana. Hard to imagine but true. This to illustrate how in a whirl all was over again, that royal intermezzo called Diana of Wales.

Statues should be to meritorious people. That is why I have mixed feelings about the statue of the late Queen Elizabeth as well. And what I have seen in proposed statues was so tacky, Diana is better honoured with a new lush green flowery Diana, Princess of Wales Park (as big as Central Park New York) in overcrowded Greater London than with an overlooked statuette. Especially after the Covid-19 lock down, such a great new park for London would be an enrichment for the life quality of millions. And is that not what Diana (hopefully) wanted, a lasting contribution to many?

A similar idea: the hanging gardens crossing the Thames, naming it Diana, Princess of Wales Garden Bridge.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not a fan of the statue idea. If anything they could have a nice picture of her working with one of her charities etc permanently mounted at the entrance to the gardens etc. I think it's rare a statue can capture a likeness very well, it comes off looking odd.

LaRae

Old 05-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Nobility

I think there should be one in front of Kensington Palace. It's what I closely associate her with. Though I think they may have waited too long to do this.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really don't see where it matter what I think. Its more along the lines of what her sons want that counts. But... as you asked, I actually think the White Garden at Kensington Palace is enough.
More than enough !!!
Old 05-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

London as scuppered the idea of a Garden Bridge over the Thames (while Paris will build three similar bridges over the Seine...).

If that project was continued and named the Diana, Princess of Wales Garden Bridge it would have been a new true London landmark named after her.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:17 AM
Courtier

I don't think that floating fiasco officially had Diana's name attached, although that was the original idea a few years after she died.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Commoner

When I'm interested in historical figures I look at portraits and sculptures. I don't go look at a waterfall, a garden, or whatever. Just like Diana's ancestors...I looked at their portraits and a few sculptures. When people want to belittle her the first thing I notice is they will never mention what she accomplished in the world with her charities and her interests in helping the poor, the sick, and the injured. They love to talk about her negative aspects and of course that would be the reasoning for not wanting a sculpture. I get that, but what about the people who loved her, and also her sons..? I say they count as I would want the same for my mother as well. I guess I just don't understand the hate involved with people concerning her. Of all the books I have read on her she did an awful lot to sincerely help people. Mother Teresa thought so. If they don't want it at Kensington Palace..then put it at Althorp Estate.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I really don't see where it matter what I think. Its more along the lines of what her sons want that counts. But... as you asked, I actually think the White Garden at Kensington Palace is enough.
Having seen the White Garden in all of its full bloom splendor, I believe that it is a fitting tribute to the late Diana, Princess of Wales. However it does appear to be something that her sons truly want to see erected for her.

Hopefully we'll hear an update on it very soon. As I recall the last time anything was publicly mentioned about it was in 2019 when Prince William spoke to well wishers outside of KP on Diana's birthday.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I don't think that floating fiasco officially had Diana's name attached, although that was the original idea a few years after she died.
Nothing, from statuette to park to fountain to bridge to whatever, was proposed when Diana died. So everything will be something Diana has never seen herself.

That Garden Bridge was not at all a floating one but a real bridge as ships had to sail under it. Of course it equally could have been named the Margaret Thatcher Bridge . But hey... let London waste another opportunity anyway and go for a statuette which could go for anyone's but Diana's looks. In New York the construction of Pier 51, their future garden bridge, is under way: https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...-1024x723.jpeg No blabla, just do it.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Here is a video clip with the landscape designer and the gardener(s) discussing the planning of the White Garden. If you view it you'll see the seasonal planting changes that happened over the year. I had the opportunity to see it in the summer of 2017.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:59 PM
Courtier

I don't think there's negativity about Diana, but she and Charles were divorced, and it was a very bitter divorce at that. It's going to be a bit awkward if something else at a royal palace is named after the future king's ex. Something at Althorp might work better.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

I think the divorce itself went smoothly....under the circumstances. The events leading up to it didn't. The custody arrangements were worked out, where she would live and the settlement. Diana is also the mother of a future King and also the grandmother of another future king. It's not as if she is just an "ex." Charles Spencer left the items in the Althorp exhibit to his royal nephews.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:45 PM
Courtier

I wasn't aware of this statue. If that's what her sons want then good for them.

I'm not sure how relevant Diana is to today's Britain really, especially to anyone under 30 (a third of the population). There again I'm not sure how relevant any of the royal family are really.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I wasn't aware of this statue. If that's what her sons want then good for them.

I'm not sure how relevant Diana is to today's Britain really, especially to anyone under 30 (a third of the population). There again I'm not sure how relevant any of the royal family are really.
There is still a nostalgic affection for her, but Im not sure there is a big demand for the statue and Will and H seem to be rather slow at getting the project finished but of course other things have intervened.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There is still a nostalgic affection for her, but Im not sure there is a big demand for the statue and Will and H seem to be rather slow at getting the project finished but of course other things have intervened.
Certainly some (many?) people have a residual affection for her memory but as you imply I'm certainly not aware of any groundswell of support for another memorial.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Certainly some (many?) people have a residual affection for her memory but as you imply I'm certainly not aware of any groundswell of support for another memorial.
But ther has never been a very good memorial.. the awufl fountain didn't look good.. and the garden while pretty, is not as permanent as something like a portrait or a statue. Having said that I don't think a statue is a very good idea, it doesn't seem to be likely to capture the grace and beauty of Diana
Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

So keep wasting time and money on memorials until they get one right??? What happens if this statue doesn't live up to your standards? On to trial number 4?

The garden can be replanted every year not an issue, not going away there. There already is a living tribute to her, the Diana award. Not something a tribute to vanity (appearance) but something that continues her charitable work which we keep being told by her fans, was the true Diana.

If this statue was going to be done, a decade or two ago would have been the right time.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
So keep wasting time and money on memorials until they get one right??? What happens if this statue doesn't live up to your standards? On to trial number 4?

The garden can be replanted every year not an issue, not going away there. There already is a living tribute to her, the Diana award. Not something a tribute to vanity (appearance) but something that continues her charitable work which we keep being told by her fans, was the true Diana.

If this statue was going to be done, a decade or two ago would have been the right time.
the statue has nothing to do iwht me, Its Willaim and Harry's project. I don't think its a great idea but its their idea and if they want to do it they will.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:39 AM
Aristocracy

It's not a good time for building statues due to the virus of course. And people are discouraged from gathering in parks.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
the statue has nothing to do iwht me, Its Willaim and Harry's project. I don't think its a great idea but its their idea and if they want to do it they will.

I agree that the brothers do want to see a stature erected in Diana's memory. It would appear that based upon their actions, they and their committee believe that the 20th anniversary of her death was the appropriate time to announce their plan for the statue. Unfortunately their projected timeline to have it created and erected was not a feasible one.

We'll just have to wait until we hear further updates on the statue.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana