The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2019, 03:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes. Diana's strong and enduring legacy is her sons, and their children and grandchildren and on through the generations [....]
That is not really Diana's legacy. That is the legacy of Diana AND Charles. Without Charles, no Diana's sons.Her tragic death caused that in their sons' formative years, in their adolescence, there was only Charles.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Also most sculptures that I have seen that I consider good are of the serious or serene variety. I will be glad to be proven wrong.
Compelling, serene figure along with the pigeon..

https://timgrahamstock.photoshelter....000ngYvdWVujR0

Old 05-26-2019, 12:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The delaying of Diana’s Kensington Palace Statue-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-delayed.html

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-26-2019, 02:28 AM
Majesty

I was talking to friends only the other day about this and wondering what was happening. Of course it must be completely right in Diana's sons' eyes, but I hope it doesn't take too long!
Old 05-26-2019, 04:21 AM
Majesty

I don't think it will be such that people are all happy with it. I think that people are going to say "it doesn't look right" or "doesn't really look like her".
Old 05-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Courtier

Diana's legacy will also continue. She was the first of many things and a great princess.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Diana's legacy will also continue. She was the first of many things and a great princess.
THe first of what things? I feel the statue is a waste of money that people will be dissatisfied with it, and it will not capture her at all...
Old 05-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Majesty

Diana's sons commissioned this statue, a committee raised funds for it and I would guess that William and Harry have had the final say in the design and execution of the statue, so, if members of the public who haven't contributed to the project in any way object to it aesthetically, I guess they should take it up with the brothers. If they feel it embodies their mother's spirit when it's completed then IMO that's all that can be asked.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
THe first of what things? I feel the statue is a waste of money that people will be dissatisfied with it, and it will not capture her at all...
Not talking about the statue just in general.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:53 AM
Aristocracy

Brass seems to be the common choice, the more durable material. Still, it's regrettable that very little of anything gets carved from stone anymore.

Determination and commitment to the craft is awe inspiring. Perhaps not a zen master, but she's very good. Also, London based.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

(Moderators-I am placing this news here as it seemed to be the most appropriate thread. However please move it if you believe it belongs elsewhere.)

Prince William sends a letter to the Diana Award.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/cambri...nisers-142623/

William’s letter reads:
Quote:
“I wanted to write to send my support and thanks to all the staff, volunteers and supporters of The Diana Award.
“My brother and I remain ever appreciative of the work you do to foster, develop and support young people, particularly at this time of uncertainty.
“Whilst you are finding yourselves adapting to new ways of working, there is no doubt that your support for you people, through what will be anxious and unsettling times for many, is as important as ever.
“This comes with my very best wishes for good health to you and your families over the coming weeks.”

More about the Diana Award.

Quote:
The Diana Award was founded in 1999 by the British Government as a way to continue Diana’s legacy “by establishing a formal way to recognise young people who were going above and beyond the expected in their local communities,” according to the Award’s website.
Over the past 20 years, The Diana Award has recognised the work of over 49,000 young people from all over the world “for their social action and humanitarian work.” With the Award’s anti-bullying programme, over 33,000 young people are trained in the Anti-Bullying Ambassador programme, and their Mentoring Programme has helped nearly 2,000 young people.
William and Harry have both been involved with The Diana Award, attending the ceremonies and hosting receptions for winners at Kensington Palace.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Majesty

Why would it be William's project? Harry was Diana's son too and has been deeply involved from the beginning. It was reported only recently that the brothers had disagreed about the design, (and I would imagine that dozens of designs have already been submitted to the two brothers. After all, it's been a while since the project began.) And there are phones, Skype, letters, for communication, plus sketches/models that can be sent overseas.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Majesty

Nothing is there at the moment though the statue was going to be in place long before this. We don't even know if the sculptor has finished any piece that is acceptable to the brothers and their advisers.

I think there will be a small but meaningful ceremony when the statue is finally unveiled at KP. I don't believe it will be until the Covid-19 crisis is over and international travel is permitted again and I do think Harry will be there for the unveiling.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 PM
Nobility

I agree that nothing more will be done about the statue until the corona virus is under control.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
While William is the one residing in the UK, Harry can give his input via a video chat. That being said it might be awhile before Harry will have the opportunity to see the work in person.
A ceremony to unveil will not be had until covid bans are lifted. Harry and Meghan plan to make return trips to the UK (why they kept their house). I doubt the ceremony will be held before travel restrictions are lifted.

Harry can over see the statue by skype just as well as his brother is. William may be in the UK but he is not at Kensington either. He is up at Amner hall. Neither brother will be visiting the sculptor in person to put input any time soon. The benefits of the modern world, all of this can be done remotely.

The only one involved who needs to be in person is the sculptor himself
Old 05-15-2020, 11:40 PM
Commoner

I have yet to have seen a decent sculpture of Diana, and I have looked as much as possible to find one. The only likeness of her is the wax figures in all of the Madame Tussauds Wax Museums and actually only a few of them look like her. The Diana Memorial Fountain cost 3.6 million pounds and is impressive yet it also is not of her likeness. Yes there are probably lots of negative haters that might think a sculpture of her is a waste of money, but not to the people who love her and loved her. When I think of her I can always see her with Prince William and Prince Harry, or hugging little children all over the world. She did much more than that with Aids and landmines, but I hope the new sculpture captures the positive side of Diana, and look forward to its unveiling some day.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I've thought about this statue being made from time to time and if I had any kind of input into the sculpture, this is what I'd suggest.

Take this iconic photo of Diana and use it as a model for the sculpture. Of course, the photograph became "iconic" not because of the posing and the children but when you see the photo, you'll remember. I'm sure that could be easily done away with in a sculpture. To me, it embraces Diana as a woman and a loving mother. The haircut at the time is also iconic.

Another perspective of this being an idea is that it reflects only Diana. Not as The Princess of Wales or Diana, Princess of Wales but just as Diana, herself.

https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/La...534854585A3A4C
Old 05-16-2020, 01:07 AM
Commoner

She looks so innocent back then Osipi. I try to think of it a hundred years from now and what it should reflect about her. Her contribution to the royal family would be Prince William who someday might be king and also Prince Harry, so one of my favorite pictures is this one. However, that would not have been the pose I was after....but close. To me she looks happy, regal, and mature yet caring for her young sons.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/aa/52...a7c5192f47.jpg
Old 05-16-2020, 01:40 AM
Gentry

am i in the minority in that i don't think she should have a statue?
Old 05-16-2020, 02:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't see where it matter what I think. Its more along the lines of what her sons want that counts. But... as you asked, I actually think the White Garden at Kensington Palace is enough.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana